Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

desi chic thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 15 years ago
Arti,
Just caught up... And I don't know where to start or end... I will just say that you have a naturalness with words... and the diction is so apt, perfect. The package is exquiste, but the details are savoury... I'm curious about this "buri nazar"... what is Shruti's problem?
Continue soon!👏👏👏

Cheers,
dc
--arti-- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: desi chic

Arti,
Just caught up... And I don't know where to start or end... I will just say that you have a naturalness with words... and the diction is so apt, perfect. The package is exquiste, but the details are savoury... I'm curious about this "buri nazar"... what is Shruti's problem?
Continue soon!👏👏👏

Cheers,
dc

Thanks DC! Yeah, the buri nazar and impending doom etc. will be revealed in next chapter..  stay tuned, I guess! Will update soon! :)
-arti
tsamhita thumbnail
hey arti, are you going ot update anytime soon? eagerly waiting here 😳
Sadia87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
arti!!! plz update soon!! omg totally missing ur amazing updates! hope u update SOON!.. 😳
--arti-- thumbnail

Originally posted by: tsamhita

hey arti, are you going ot update anytime soon? eagerly waiting here 😳

Hey Samie, sorry yaar! Like I said, things got really bizeee here! I'm updating right now! 😊

Originally posted by: sadizzle

arti!!! plz update soon!! omg totally missing ur amazing updates! hope u update SOON!.. 😳

Updating now hun! Thanks for reading! 😳
--arti-- thumbnail
CHAPTER 15
Broken heart, breaking heart

Maithili stepped out of the van and laid her eyes upon the vast farmhouse in front of her. It stood on the edge of a hill with winding roads going around and around till her eyes got lost in them. Her lush surroundings were a welcome visual treat for Maithili who had just left Mumbai. During the drive from the airport, she kept her eyes peeled as she stared outside the window. Tanu sat beside her in the seat all the way at the back, where Tanu told her stories about their childhood trips to Mussoorie. In the meantime, Adi and Kamal sat at the front and were deeply engrossed in conversation. The only two quiet people were Shruti and Ashu. Ashu was beginning to miss Gauri, and was sad he wouldn't see her for two weeks.

The van had come to a halt and everyone stepped out. Maithili took in a deep breath of fresh air. She was really glad she decided to come to Mussoorie, she did need a break after all. And moreover, she was happy she was getting to spend 2 weeks with Adi and the Mehra family here. Best of all, Kamal put aside his busy schedule and decided to join them as well.

She soon saw a beautiful woman emerging from the entrance with a warm smile. She threw her arms around Shruti, Tanu, Ashu, and Adi. Parvati then came to Kamal and kindly greeted him. Kamal and Suyash already knew each other, and they both started talking. Shruti was busy instructing the servants to bring their luggage into the house. Parvati slowly approached Maithili with a smile and moistened eyes, "you must be Maithili." Maithili almost unconsciously reached downwards and touched Parvati's feet. But before she could do so, Parvati stopped her and hugged Maithili. "Welcome to our home, beta," she said into her ear. Just then, Adi hugged his dadi from behind and said, "kaisi hai?" Maithili blushed at this, looking downwards. "Bahut pyaari," Parvati replied with loving confidence. But Parvati noticed Shruti's obvious discomfort and made a mental note to later talk to Shruti privately to find out what was bothering her.

In less than an hour's time, they had all been shown their bedrooms where they started unpacking and freshening up despite their weariness and jetlag. Maithili took a shower and slipped into a plain white churidar and threw on a mustard coloured dupatta. She then walked around the farmhouse in admiration of its simplistic, rustic appeal. The rooms of the farmhouse were spacious and comfortable even though they were simply designed. Above the kitchen, living room, and lounge area lay a beautiful indoor but sky-lit verandah lined by two parallel corridors. The verandah was filled with potted plants, a cushioned wooden indoor swing, and a few armchairs. Along each corridor wall, four doors were spread out. These doors opened up into a total of 8 bedrooms, each with its own small and cosy bathroom.

They were all sitting at the dinner table eating and excitedly making plans for the next few days. Ashu and Adi wanted to go sight-seeing more than anything. Tanu and Maithili had an interest in going shopping at the local markets in Dehradun. Parvati wanted to take a family trip to Risihikesh. Then they all agreed to get to each of these things and merrily concluded the discussion. After dinner, Kamal and Suyash were talking in the front porch whereas Tanu and Ashu sat in front of the TV. Adi and Maithili went up to the terrace, where they gazed at the beautiful star-filled sky. Their bare feet were slightly cold but they comfortably stepped across the paved floor.

Adi looked into Maithili's eyes and told her how much it meant to him that she was here with his family. They sat hand-in-hand on a bench surrounded by potted rose shrubs. Adi relaxed his body and laid his head on Maithili's lap. She bent down at him slightly, with her face framed by her long, dark hair that hung down, slightly dancing in the breeze. Even though the strands of her hair caged her face, bits of moonlight still shone upon her, making her face glow. She was gently stroking his hair, and Adi stared at her, mesmerized. He closed his eyes for a moment, wondering to himself if this was a dream. By the time he opened his eyes again, she had leaned her head backwards with a gentle smile emerging on her impatient and quivering lips. He lifted himself up to pull her face down towards him for a magical moonlit kiss. From a distance, their faces looked like two sparks of light merging into each other. When they pulled away, he had to make sure she heard the single most important truth on his life. "I love you Maithili," he whispered, sitting up. She smiled with satisfaction. "I love you, too."

Parvati and Shruti were sitting on Shruti's bed and talking about Adi and Maithili.
"Why the hesitation then? You've been telling me how much you like Maithili, and how you like working with her…about her honesty, her conviction, everything she has achieved in her career…" Parvati said in a puzzled tone.
"Mamma woh sab alag baat hai. Yes I think Maithili is a brilliant young woman, and I adore her for many reasons. But that doesn't mean I think it's a great idea that Adi and her are together."
"Hmm… so you don't think she would be right for our family?" Parvati asked, puzzled.
"I don't think so, Mamma. Maithili is an intelligent lawyer and a career-driven woman. She left home for 5 years to go around the world studying and working as a lawyer…do you really think she'll even like the idea of a joint family? And let's say Adi moves out of the house, then what do I do with Tanu? She barely listens to me and...--"
"Beta, maybe you're being too haste," Parvati interjected. "You are also an intelligent and career-driven woman. It doesn't mean you don't like the idea of a joint family. Haan shuru shuru mein tumhe bahut adjust karna pada, aur woh sab mushkil bhi tha, but dheere dheere sab theek ho gaya. And Maithili knows that you are all staying together. Why would she assume that if Adi and her got married, they would go live on their own? I see her with Tanu and Ashu and it seems like she has developed a good relationship with both of them."
Shruti listened to Parvati with a sigh. This was the problem with Parvati. She had the habit of talking a bit too much, and sometimes even repeating herself. But she usually did talk sense. Over the years, Shruti had gained a lot of respect for her mother-in-law's practical intelligence and world-wise words.
"Maybe that's true…I am just worried that Adi is acting so different. I've never seen him like this, even though I have seen him with other girlfriends…"
"Yes, this is true. Even I have noticed that much. I can see it in the way he looks at her…maybe this means he truly loves her," Parvati suggested.
Shruti's face reflected a slight shock at this realization. She felt that a distance gradually widened between her and Adi.
"Yeh mumkin nahin hai Mamma. Woh dono abhi abhi kuch dinon mein ek saath waqt bitaane lage hain. And I also heard Maithili talking to Ashu in our house some days ago, and she said that she herself wasn't sure what she wanted from Adi. I heard her say she had difficulty committing to a relationship with him, Mamma. Joint family ki baatein to door, I don't think Maithili even loves him."
Parvati considered this calmly. "Ho sakta hai Maithili ko kuch waqt lage, but iska matlab yeh nahin ki woh Adi ke liye aur Adi uske liye sahi nahin hai. But you're right, we should think about this but I also suggest that we give Maithili some time to adjust. Let's see how things go during these two weeks," Parvati said.

This was the fourth time Kajal was arguing with her aunt Chhaya about the property dispute. Percy couldn't keep quiet anymore, and before Kajal broke down completely, he stepped into the conversation.
"I don't understand how you can treat your own family member like this," he shouted. "It has been less than a week since she dealt with the funeral arrangements, and she is still grieving her uncle and trying to deal with his loss, and here you are bickering over property."
"Excuse me? Who the hell are you? Just because you tagged along with her here doesn't mean you have the right to speak whenever and however you want. Completely mannerless!" she screamed at him.

Percy and Kajal had been staying with Krishna Dadi. Krishna Dadi was Kajal's uncle's maasi. She was kind towards Kajal but was powerless to do anything about the property dispute. The relatives were not listening to her and were trying to forcibly create a false case whereby they could take the land. It was while dealing with all this stress that Kajal's uncle got a heart attack. Now that he was out of the picture, they were prepared to get the land at all costs. The land in question originally belonged to Kajal's father; it was once a valueless piece of land but with newer economic growth, it became a prized plot. Kajal's uncle had a dream of building a girls' school in that land and she wanted to do everything possible to fulfil her uncle's last wish. Even if she couldn't build a school there right away, she wanted to make sure greedy relatives wouldn't snatch it away.

Chhaya kept screaming. And soon she began to hurl even more insults at Kajal. "Listen, we all know you're a tramp! Hum se kuch bhi chhupa hua nahin hai. Hume pata hai ke kisi maaldaar aadmi ke saath tum Bombay mein sambandh rakhti thi. Aur ab, kisi aur ko phasa kar saath le aayi ho." This was too much for Kajal. She burst into tears.
Percy tried his best to control himself though he really felt like slapping Chhaya. "How dare you talk like that about her? I am here to help her because I am her friend. And what she does in Mumbai is none of your business anyway, you greedy witch!"
The altercation continued on full blast until Chhaya walked away saying there was no use talking to them anymore. Chhaya and her family would go ahead with their case to court and legally take over this land. She stomped off, leaving Kajal crying in Krishna Dadi's arms. Percy felt helpless. They had to arrange for a lawyer who specialized in land claims, but they were running out of money fast. Krishna Dadi was barely surviving, so she couldn't offer much help. Percy and Kajal had pretty much run out of money they had brought with them. All the travel and funeral costs had taken its toll. They also gave some money to Dadi to help manage the household, especially since they were staying with her. They had a few thousand rupees left between the two of them, but any lawyer would charge a lot more than that for fees.

Kajal cried desperately. She wished she could bring her uncle back from the past. She really needed his guidance. She also wished she could hold Adi and cry to her heart's content. Nothing made her happier than the fantasy that Adi would one day return to her and love her as much she loved him. Dadi wiped Kajal's tears. "Be strong beta…"
Percy knelt down next to her. "I think we should go into town tomorrow and try to find a lawyer who can fight this case."
"But we don't have any money."
"I know, Kajal, but we'll have to try to ask if they can do it as a loan or something. We have no other choice, and we have to at least try."
Kajal nodded and tried to fight back tears. The only thing they had to console themselves was a plan that was 100% guaranteed to fail, she thought to herself.

The farmhouse bustled with the sound of breakfast-table chatter. As usual, Tanu was the last one to wake up, and she joined them still in her pajamas. Parvati shook her head playfully, "abhi tak badlli nahin tum, Tanu."
"Please Dadi, ab chhuti mein hain hum," she replied nonchalantly, and grabbed a couple of parathas. "Eww! Dadi dekhiye na is mein zyaada ghee hai… uff I'll put on weight!"
Maithili intervened. "Tanu, these parathas are simply divine! And don't worry about the ghee yaar, just come jogging with me tomorrow morning. It was so beautiful outside this morning!" Maithili truly did enjoy wonderful sights during her jog. Unlike in Mumbai, here she felt like each drop of air she inhaled refreshed her body.
"Yeah I was thinking that I really need to take up jogging too," Adi began, pretending to be very earnest.
Parvati smiled cutely at Adi, but Tanu didn't let it go. "Please bhaiyya! You hate running and just lift your stupid weights in your room. I bet if Maithili says she likes shopping, you'll start wanting to do that too…"
Adi nearly choked on his food at Tanu's comment. Everyone laughed, because they knew how much Adi hated shopping.

They discussed their plans for the day and decided that Suyash, Kamal, Adi, Maithili and Tanu would head to Dehradun. Ashu, Shruti, and Parvati would head to a picnic spot nearby where they would be joined by the rest of the family later in the afternoon. Everyone finished their breakfast and headed to their rooms to change.

Maithili and Tanu were walking around in a very narrow market in Dehradun lined with colourful goods – bangles, vermillion powders, flowers, fruits, and on and on. They stopped at a stall which was selling handmade silver earrings. Maithili and Tanu soon decided to walk down separate lanes, agreeing to meet up with each other a few minutes later.

Tanu walked down a lane with lots of flowers and potted plants. In her hands, she carefully held a small potted white rose plant that she had bought. In the hustle and bustle of the marketplace, someone bumped into her and caused her to almost lose her balance. She struggled to regain her balance.
"What the… bandwaala?!"
"Ah. Tanu Mehra. Of course, it seems you always find ways of bumping into me."
"Shut up! And what are you doing here? I can't believe you followed me to Mussoorie and Dehradun…how dare you? If I tell my grandfather he'll have you parcelled off somewhere! You loser, just you wait… none of your stupid tricks will work with me! I'm going to call my Dadu right now!"
Percy was slightly amused. Here she was again, going off on another rant. Tanu glared at him. She hated it when he looked amused when she was visibly upset. As if she was joking. His nonchalance totally bugged her. He gave her a minute to finish her rant before he began to speak.
"How is it that you have such a high opinion of yourself, Tanu? For your information, I'm here on some personal business." And then after a pause, without even realizing why he was revealing this, he added, "my friend's uncle died."
Tanu's eyes fell. She had jumped to conclusions, and she felt a pang of guilt strike her.
"Um… I didn't know. I am sorry. And I'm sorry about your friend's loss." Percy looked at her with a surprised expression.
"Maybe if you didn't have the habit of going on a rant without even realizing what is going on, you wouldn't have to be apologizing right now."
"I'm sorry," she repeated in a soft tone.
He felt slightly taken aback by this sudden display of warmth from her. He didn't think she'd ever utter the words "I'm sorry" and especially not in front of him. He suddenly felt very confused about his own emotions. He just wanted to leave her presence as soon as possible, and so without any acknowledgement of her apology, he dashed towards the nearby medical shop where he was due to pick up a prescription.

Tanu gazed after him, still feeling guilty, when Maithili caught up with her, diverting her attention. Together, the two started making their way out of the market. They were supposed to meet up with Adi, Suyash, and Kamal before they all went to the picnic spot for lunch. Adi, Suyash, and Kamal were in a small district where most lawyers of Dehradun had their offices. Suyash had some friends here whom he was visiting with Adi and Kamal.

Soon, everyone met up near the law offices and prepared to leave for the picnic spot. As everyone was getting into the van, Adi remembered that he had forgotten something in one of the offices they were visiting. After he was gone for a few minutes, Maithili decided to go and check on him. She mad her way through a narrow pathway that led to a semi-highrise building. She walked towards the elevator with a puzzled expression. Which floor would Adi be on, she wondered? Just then, she heard someone yell out Adi's name from behind her. She turned around with alarm and what she saw completely stupefied her.

Adi had just gotten off an elevator from the other side of the building, and a woman rushed towards him, yelling his name.
"Adi, I'm so glad you came here for me, now I know everything will be okay. I love you so much, Adi, and I knew one day my love would bring you back to me," she said in between sobs as she clung to him.
"Kajal…?" Adi's voice was barely audible. He was clearly surprised to see her there.

In the other side of the building, Maithili stood transfixed as her eyes widened in confusion. She felt something tear inside her. She felt like some part of her was drowning. Her heart felt broken.
Edited by --arti-- - 15 years ago
Larae thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
awesome 👏

love
mehar 😃
tsamhita thumbnail
Too good!! 👏 the wait was well worth it 😆 😳 😳
awww Metz fels heart broken i hope everything is fine between Adi-Metz its too soon for them to break up 😳

I love the way AM are so comfortable with each other howww sweet 😳 😳 and they finally said I love you to each other 😳 😳 😳

Its good to see that Percy realises Tannu is not all that bad 😳
i just hope there are noooo problems whatso ever between AM! 😳 and in the next chapter i hope Adi clarifies everything to Mets adn all is fine 😳
Sadia87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
aww! cute update..but the end 😡 that stupid hoochie kaajal!
--arti-- thumbnail
Thanks Mehar, Samie and Sadizzle! You guys are such sweet and faithful readers!🤗😊

Originally posted by: tsamhita

awww Metz fels heart broken i hope everything is fine between Adi-Metz its too soon for them to break up
i just hope there are noooo problems whatso ever between AM!

Aw, no worries hun, Adi and Metz will definitely not break up over this! 😳

Originally posted by: sadizzle

aww! cute update..but the end 😡 that stupid hoochie kaajal!

I know, but she is a little nuts right now! Bechaari ko khud itne problems hain yaar! 😕

-arti