Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 months ago

Ha ha...no, we saw the same movie, only our perception/view differs smiley1

I don't think that the movie really questions the importance of visa in our times, but tries to incite discussion about ways to change the getting-a-visa options.

Dunki shows very clearly that the current options are prone to either getting people exploited or making them doing illegal things - both objectionable.

It is a kind of criticism pointing to the inflexibility of current Visa-laws and to the lack of proper consulting and finding of other solutions.

I remember that in december after Dunki's release, we had discussions here about the laws.

As for Manu and her two friends earning money through working in the town, it had been shown that they had work, right at the beginning ... Sukhi obviously also earned money as he would have been capable to pay one flight for him to London and one back for both of them. (I don't know why he didn't try with a tourist visa...maybe there was a reason why that wouldn't have worked)...Hardy hadn't planned to stay, he just wanted to give back the tape recorder.

Edited by Clochette - 3 months ago
.Sunrise. thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3

But the movie never glorified the whole Dunki process 

I would still sympathize with the people who go through this process even if srk didn't make a movie 

People who give lakhs and lakhs of rupees to the agents and then get killed on the borders( a real case of the whole family is on Google) 

Yes law is above everything but it isn't really fair because it doesn't believe in equity. Every body doesn't have an equal opportunity 

These people are paying the price anyways like the characters of the film. 

If nothing atleast I give credit to the makers of the movie for exploring a topic that many people weren't aware of 

Edited by .Sunrise. - 3 months ago
Clochette thumbnail

Many of what you mention is shown in the movie...that's why I don't understand that there are people who don't see the darkness in the comedy. Why exactly do people laugh in this movie? It's mostly situational humour which is fine, imo, as this humour is countered with sad and also dramatic/tragic situations...life is like that.

Clochette thumbnail

Exactly, Jess, this movie was a kind of genre where a big chunk of the probable audience waited for the OTT release.

Still it is important to release such movies also in theatres and imo, this movie wouldn't have made 450 crores gross worldwide (and about 230 crore net all India) without SRK helming it.

The performances of the main characters and the some supporting ones had been really, really good (Sukhi, to me, is a main character, btw.).

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

I’m in no position to judge why ppl feel such strong compulsion to leave their home and go to another country in such terrible conditions 

But the film was neither compelling nor convincing

Except Vicky , None of their needs are desperate enough for them to risk their lives getting to London …or, to stay in London all alone and in horrible conditions 

Srk asks tapsee for a reason to stay in London and tapsee just says “stay for me” ….its never clear why she or her friends seek asylum to stay in London…why do they want to leave their family , home and stay in London at any cost? With the risk of never going back? Why does tapsee think it’s better to struggle by herself in London , than to go with Hardy the love of her life, to India and be with him?
all that to earn money? Can’t they work- save money and start small time businesses or shops in their home town? While staying close to their family and taking care of their needs? They would rather risk their lives and die, sacrifice their love and live alone in London than do that? WHAT? 

The only character who’s need was desperate enough to go to London was Vicky  …he had a strong reason and he didn’t intend to stay in London…

. Even then, can’t he call the police in uk to get her husband arrested ? Can’t the girl call the police instead of asking Vicky to come to London and free her? Isn’t it easier to convince her dad to take action / report her dad to the police for his negligence? Call the Indian embassy to take action ? There are so many things they could have tried to save her 

Don’t even get me started on the “comedy”…I didn’t even have a tiny grin throughout it …

it’s hiranis worst film with absolutely no emotional heft of connect 

It’s hard to empathise for idiot characters who have no rhyme or reason for the way they behave and use emotional monologues to make it all seem important 

Clochette thumbnail

Originally posted by: wat_up

I think money is more lucrative than certain professions. Even some have become gas station owners. I know some who did not want to goto school again because some degrees aren’t accepted and have todo education  in this country in their own profession instead opted to own one’s own business n then have several chains. 

The United States of America and Canada would not exist the way they do without all the people that looked for another livelyhood because of mostly poverty-reasons. Having possessions became more & more a status symbol, much more than being of noble birth or not.

In Dunki also, the protagonists are more on the 'poverty-side' and also not highly educated but they had their dreams which got nourrished by false promises and false narratives.

The English judge rightly says that the visa-laws don't consider poverty but he also shows that he is moved by what Hardy said (rightly so)...he obviously has a heart but had to follow the law. It is a very important plot point to show that certain laws don't respect the individual/individual situation...and the Visa-laws belong to them.

I think Manu & friends got their permanent residence permit only some years (or one year?) before leaving for Dubai.

Originally posted by: Clochette

Exactly, Jess, this movie was a kind of genre where a big chunk of the probable audience waited for the OTT release.

Still it is important to release such movies also in theatres and imo, this movie wouldn't have made 450 crores gross worldwide (and about 230 crore net all India) without SRK helming it.

The performances of the main characters and the some supporting ones had been really, really good (Sukhi, to me, is a main character, btw.).

That is obvious that without a Khan ( personally to me Amir khan would have suited more despite his lal Singh chaddha debacle as a Punjabi Sardar )  but this is Hirani movie not some new/bad director, with a lesser star the budget would be much less like 12th by vinu Vinod Chopra. Also other reason some didn’t go see it as srk punjabi accent was off putting in the trailer then the songs weren’t that catchy n trailer wasnt that impressive to many. As someone mentioned the Vinu vinod Chopra touch was missing the trailer to me n songs were lack lustre. This wasn’t jawan which was an action thriller n even jawan sent a serious message on corruption but the way it did it was not only entertaining but it depicted the wrongs in society n how it can be corrected. In this movie it wasn’t very coherent going by some views and heard prior to even this movie on live streams some who have gone through this route as it’s mainly based on Punjab/haryana. Though gujarati n South Indians have used similar illegal methods to come abroad. 

Clochette thumbnail

It may be hard for you to emphathise with characters who have no knowledge about the traps they don't see while dreaming of a better life...it may also not have been possible for many other...but it is your personal view, it's not the movie as such, because many other could emphathise...with the characters, with the story and even with the 'comedy'.

The perception of a movie should not lead to a general statement about the movie, imo, but to learn about the diversity of reception and getting to know other percpectives.

Your perception is right for you (and a part of the audience)...and I like to read it smiley1

I simply think that generalisation is wrong when writing/talking about something that has a lot to do with individual creativity.

Edited by Clochette - 3 months ago
pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Clochette

It may be hard for you to emphathise with character who have no knowledge about the traps they don't see while dreaming of a better life...it may also not have been possible for many other...but it is your personal view, it's not the movie as such, because many other could emphathise...with the characters, with the story and even with the 'comedy'.

The perception of a movie should not lead to a general statement about the movie but to learn about the diversity of reception and getting to know other percpectives.

Your perception is right for you (and a part of the audience)...and I like to read it smiley1

I simply think that generalisation is wrong when writing/talking about something that has a lot to do with individual creativity.

Sorry but thats wayy too much fluffy language without an actual discussion or justification of the film ..”oh but lots of ppl liked it”…good for them …several thought it was pointless …

I don’t judge the actual ppl who feel compelled to cross borders this way…im sure they have their reasons and like Vicky’s character they are probably compelling enough to empathise …there are ppl who are indeed under threat in their country, or have lost their home and family to tragedy and have no other means than exploring avenues in another country …

The film however, did not show why any of the characters having an  absolute need to go to England ….to use treacherous routes to get there. …for a family that they probably won’t even see again …to live in less than ideal conditions 

Even if they were fooled into thinking London will give them a good life, still makes no sense why they would refuse to go back to India with Hardy after the seeing the reality of it ….and insist on personal suffering 

The film didn’t justify any of this …and kept hacking one emotional monologue after another with barely any context or logic to it 

Edited by pathaka - 3 months ago
NimbuMirchi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Kyahikahoon

This is off topic but something I want to know.

There r people who r well educated and go to US, UK for further courses..get work visa.

But eventually they start motels, convenience stores, lifestyle stores or gas stations..

Not seen this with engineers but common in other fields. Was surprised when a PhD holder opened a convenience store. Kudos to them coz it's a lot of hardwork, specially when people manage things themselves without getting staff n helpers. But m curious what lures them to these fields after spending years studying a particular subject?

Is the money that good?

Just to add ..these were management graduates, associate professors with decent jobs in India 

This is the trend mostly with Gujaratis. They will leave high paying IT job to open a liquor store. 

For one, Gujaratis dhandho genes kick in. There’s that eternal dhandho j karvano ne yar. Aapde Khud aapda boss. 
They make money through jobs and then switch to investment into businesses. 
Motel or store, you hire a workforce to manage different tasks. 
9-5 job binds you for whole day - whole week. 
With the liquor store - you get away couple hours and your employees can manage. Makes it easy to manage kids school and classes schedules. 
Plus you invest in Motels, Liquor stores, Convenient store, you make good money. Both husband and wife don’t have to work. One business and they take turn to go during different hours of the day. Helps you balance work, home and kids.