Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

hinz thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 1 years ago

While I agree with the dislike for the term ‘Bollywood’ and the need to call it something easier and meaningful, I think some things are best left unchanged. Bollywood sounds cringe but works

carisma2 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: atominis

Amitabh avoids using this word and calls it disrespectful.

And I agree. These woods sound wannabe and like some cheap copy of Hollywood.

We do not need to use their terms.

I would prefer Indian cinema or referring by region or language such as Hindi cinema or Kannada or Tamil, Punjabi, Bengali etc.

The term Bollywood kind of irks me.

Clochette and Atominis - U both are bang on. 

It should be called Indian cinema. There is so much integration between the woods happening also. Which is a good thing and bringing something new in. 

If they don't want to step outside of the woods - They can call it Indiwood as well. 

carisma2 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: vijay

Personally I like to keep it easy to understand and classify it with the language in which they are made.

When we redesigned the new design we wanted to move in this direction, and instead of Bollywood / Tollywood etc we wanted to go with Movie > Hindi / English or TV > Hindi / English / Marathi etc

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 1.12.17 PM.png

But we noticed many people still search Bollywood instead of Indian cinema. Probably the is this reason why many movie sites popped up using Bolly* in their name also.

Let us lead the way Vijay and evolve. It has to start somewhere. Some times big changes start from small places. 

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

If you think bollywood sounds ridiculous, let's not forget Pakistani cinema is called lollywood. 😆

There are many countries around the world with the suffix wood for their movie industries.

Nollywood, Ugawood, Hallyuwood, they are all like new variants of hollywood. 

I agree that it's a dumb compound name and each region/country should refer to their movies with the language they are in. But at this point, it's such a universal concept that changing it wouldn't be of much consequence. 

DheeJattanDi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

There is no such thing as Pollywood.. it's Punjabi cinema. But I think Bollywood got the name mostly because they don't just speak Hindi in films, it's a fusion of Hindi and Urdu.

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: hinz

While I agree with the dislike for the term ‘Bollywood’ and the need to call it something easier and meaningful, I think some things are best left unchanged. Bollywood sounds cringe but works

Those who visit this forum know that Bollywood means Hindi cinema... I like the Idea of "Indian Cinema" and then "Hindi movies with news & chats"...or, if you think, it's not sure "Hindi (Bollywood) movies with news & chats"

Why a "-wood" at all? It makes NO sense at all. what does Hindi Cinema or for that matter any other World Cinema have to do with "wood" except Hollywood. Holly is a big Ilex bush and it covered a big big area in Southern California although the native name for the plant is Toyon.

Here is a nice story

https://www.treepeople.org/2012/12/31/hollywood-name/

Clochette thumbnail

Originally posted by: carisma2

If they don't want to step outside of the woods - They can call it Indiwood as well.

catchy line smiley4

Originally posted by: ohophelia

If you think bollywood sounds ridiculous, let's not forget Pakistani cinema is called lollywood. smiley36

There are many countries around the world with the suffix wood for their movie industries.

Nollywood, Ugawood, Hallyuwood, they are all like new variants of hollywood.

Yes, I know, but for me it's Nigerian, Ugandan, South Korean Cinema... I simply found all those artificially wood-made names senseless and disrespectful.

Originally posted by: DheeJattanDi

There is no such thing as Pollywood.. it's Punjabi cinema. But I think Bollywood got the name mostly because they don't just speak Hindi in films, it's a fusion of Hindi and Urdu.

bold: Exactly!

Relative to the term "Bollywood" here an excerpt from Wikipedia about "Hindi Cinema":

"It was used in a 1932 American Cinematographer article by Wilford E. Deming, an American engineer who helped produce the first Indian sound picture. "Bollywood" was probably invented in Bombay-based film trade journals in the 1960s or 1970s, though the exact inventor varies by account."

Clochette thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

Relative to the term "Bollywood" here an excerpt from Wikipedia about "Hindi Cinema":

"It was used in a 1932 American Cinematographer article by Wilford E. Deming, an American engineer who helped produce the first Indian sound picture. "Bollywood" was probably invented in Bombay-based film trade journals in the 1960s or 1970s, though the exact inventor varies by account."

I prefer to copy/paste the correct wording from Wikipedia as the above is only an excerpt Google gave me when I asked "Who invented the term 'Bollywood'?"

Wikipedia:"The term Bollywood

"Bollywood" is a portmanteau derived from Bombay (the former name of Mumbai) and "Hollywood", a shorthand reference for the American film industry which is based in Hollywood, California.[16]

The term "Tollywood", for the Tollygunge-based cinema of West Bengal, predated "Bollywood".[17] It was used in a 1932 American Cinematographer article by Wilford E. Deming, an American engineer who helped produce the first Indian sound picture.[17]

"Bollywood" was probably invented in Bombay-based film trade journals in the 1960s or 1970s, though the exact inventor varies by account.[18][19] Film journalist Bevinda Collaco claims she coined the term for the title of her column in Screen magazine.[20] Her column entitled "On the Bollywood Beat" covered studio news and celebrity gossip.[20] Other sources state that lyricist, filmmaker and scholar Amit Khanna was its creator.[21] It's unknown if it was derived from "Hollywood" through "Tollywood", or was inspired directly by "Hollywood".

The term has been criticised by some film journalists and critics, who believe it implies that the industry is a poor cousin of Hollywood.[16][22]

"Bollywood" has since inspired a long list of Hollywood-inspired nicknames."

The numbers in the text give the sources down in the footnotes on the Wikipedia page for "Hindi Cinema"...

Edited by Clochette - 1 years ago
e1t53e thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

If we have to keep the wood, might as well retain the whole thing.

Nishita123 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: vijay

Personally I like to keep it easy to understand and classify it with the language in which they are made.

When we redesigned the new design we wanted to move in this direction, and instead of Bollywood / Tollywood etc we wanted to go with Movie > Hindi / English or TV > Hindi / English / Marathi etc

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 1.12.17 PM.png

But we noticed many people still search Bollywood instead of Indian cinema. Probably the is this reason why many movie sites popped up using Bolly* in their name also.

Yes makes sense Vijay. Can there be some kind of redirect for these searches? 
With such a huge user base IF has a potential to start the change :) and May be someone from industry will notice ( as many from the industry visit this site ) :)