Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 1 years ago

Entirely fictional. The makers have stressed on that many times. Otherwise you find me a POC/Black noble family living in 16th-18th century Europe/England in any history books. 

blahhhh thumbnail
Anniversary 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sev.puri

Are we discussing the historical inaccuracy of a fictional show?๐Ÿค”

The leads have great chemistry, itโ€™s a period drama meets gossip girl with representation for one of the most watched shows globally on Netflix. I really donโ€™t see the problem.

Many people on twitter,both south asians and africans have problem with what they call whitewashing of history.It is a part of discourse surrounding the series.So I made this topic to know where people here stand.

blahhhh thumbnail

Originally posted by: ohophelia

Entirely fictional. The makers have stressed on that many times. Otherwise you find me a POC/Black noble family living in 16th-18th century Europe/England in any history books. 

You seem to have misunderstood,I am not asking if the show is fictional or no.Of course it is fictional.

I was asking if this kind of fiction where they show the oppressive aristocratic white community welcoming black and brown people in not only their social circles but also families is palatable to you guys..

blahhhh thumbnail

Originally posted by: capricornrcks

There are some crazy Youtube videos out there expounding on the Shiva as an Alien theory. Somehow Aliens are more "real" than Gods. Go figure. Because they are a younger country(comparatively) and hasn't had enough time to come up with mythology and religion acceptable to all, they have a tendency to cherry-pick fancy things from other cultures. Also there is a genuine need to forget/gloss over the cruelties of racism from the past and form a homogeneous community to look forward to a brighter future. Just like post-Independant India likes to gloss over the cruelties of war between different states(kingdoms) in India in the Past.

Bridgerton is just one instance of whitewashing. We have no historical proof that Princess Charlotte did anything for the black people. There has been a series on the British Plantagenets where they cast Margaret of Anjou as black. The damage is two fold. Future generations tend to forget the atrocities of racism. It is wrong to appropriate some other culture's history as your own.

Another interesting fact is the recent Zee webseries starring Aditi Rao Hydari about the Mughals.Taj Divided By Blood. Interestingly the director and many of the writers are not Indian. But they haven't cast any non-Indian actors. I'll be very interested in their take on the Mughals. Because we Indians choose to take sides even subconsciously.

With regard to mughals I pick side too,the side of not liking them.๐Ÿ˜† my motto is that even if things weren't black or white they certainly were light grey and dark grey.

I think those web series makers even if they aren't indians are going to whitewash mughals,the world doesn't seem to think them as the invaders that they were. 

capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: blahhhh

With regard to mughals I pick side too,the side of not liking them.๐Ÿ˜† my motto is that even if things weren't black or white they certainly were light grey and dark grey.

I think those web series makers even if they aren't indians are going to whitewash mughals,the world doesn't seem to think them as the invaders that they were. 

The Mughals certainly had their evil sides. But they weren't any worse or better than any other king conquering enemy territories. All our famous conqueror Kings are pretty nice to their subjects but not-so-nice to the conquered nation. The folks at Odisha could tell you tales about Ashoka's cruelties. But that said Mughal history is made for TV soaps, complete with evil saas/sauteli ma, loyal bahu, sisters opposing each other etc .

Edited by capricornrcks - 1 years ago