Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 years ago

We will see what remains of his dream (?) after the Oscars and when he has settled down in India again😉

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Nothing wrong with Rajamouli's take.

For the longest time, Bollywood has dominated the perception of Indian cinema. Despite so many wonderful thriving regional language film industries, many Indians and people across the globe perceive Indian cinema to be Bollywood cinema. So SLB can comfortably say Bollywood cinema is Indian cinema without worrying about many nuances. 

On the other hand, regional film industries have had to work harder. The pan-Indian film is a modern and new phenomenon (because of Rajamouli's Bahubaali). There have been hundreds of brilliant regional films that have gone unnoticed by most. In addition, regional filmmakers have endured endless jokes, accent stereotypes, and pigeonholing. Southern stars have been mocked as too dark, too ugly, and too plump to be movie leads. Regional filmmakers were also told that no one wanted to watch regional language films. If they want to get national attention, they must drop their language and culture to make films palatable to Hindi audiences. 

So when SS Rajamouli says RRR is a Telugu film, he is not denying its Indianness. It is just that there is a lot more history and nuance to his industry. He is acknowledging and giving credit to the Telugu filmmaking roots that has had to overcome biases and adversity to make it big. 

I am honestly exhausted of people taking a dump on RRR or Bollywood. They are not mutually exclusive. You can celebrate the success of all film industries. You do not have to boycott Bollywood to support pan Indian cinema from regional film industries. You do not have to dunk on regional filmmakers to show your support for Bollywood films. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

We will see what remains of his dream (?) after the Oscars and when he has settled down in India again😉

Maybe he will win best song 

wat_up thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Action Alliance

Why are there 24 pages on just his statement is what iam thinking 🤔 ðŸ¤£

RonyFYou thumbnail

India Has Been Hijacked By Muslim Fanatics ?

atominis thumbnail

I do agree that anyone else would be called divisive if they talked about language or region of the film. Say, 'My film is Punjabi from Northwest of India' or 'My film is Bengali from Eastern part of India'. Never saw Ray call his films Bengali. Nor saw Aamir and Ashutosh call Lagaan a Hindi film from Bombay when they went to Oscars.

The OP is right in taking pot shots at hypocrisy of pseudo nationalists who call South best but never ask to call them India or Indian films and not just South India or Telugu film. 

Was Rajamouli not divisive? But he will not be called thus because he is not a BW guy and not a liberal. 

Anyway I do not mind him affirming pride in his identity and standing for language diversity. West knows India as only Bollywood or Hindi language. It is good he affirmed RRR was a Telugu film. 

Anti national Bollywood filmmaker calls his film Indian. Nationalist Tollywood filmmaker calls his film Telugu from South India. 🤣

Look who is divisive now. The taunt is at RW trolls. Not Rajamouli.