Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Priyanka Chopra Makes Shocking Revelation

Sea-stars thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 years ago

Priyanka Chopra Makes Shocking Revelation About Bollywood: ‘I Would Get Paid 10% Of The Salary Of My Male Co-Actor’

Priyanka Chopra, who has worked in both Hindi and English language films in her career, recently spoke about the pay parity she faced during her career. In a career spanning over 22-years now, the former Miss World spoke about being paid less than a male co-star in Bollywood.

Priyanka Chopra Makes Shocking Revelation About Bollywood: ‘I Would Get Paid 10% Of The Salary Of My Male Co-Actor’Priyanka Chopra Makes Shocking Revelation About Bollywood: ‘I Would Get Paid 10% Of The Salary Of My Male Co-Actor’© Provided by Jagran English

Speaking to BBC 100 Women, Priyanka Chopra said, "I've never had pay parity in Bollywood. I would get paid about 10% of the salary of my male co-actor.” The ‘Baywatch’ star who last featured in Bollywood in the 2019-film ‘The Sky Is Pink’ added that the pay gap between male and female co-actors is ‘substantially large’.

"It's large, substantially large. And so many women still deal with that. I'm sure I will too if I worked with a male co-actor now in Bollywood. My generation of female actors have definitely asked for equal pay. We've asked, but we've not got it,” Priyanka Chopra was quoted as saying in the interview with BBC 100 Women.

Priyanka Chopra recalled how as a young actor working in the Indian film industry, she thought it was absolutely OK to sit and wait for hours while the male co-actor on set took his own time. “I accepted the deep rooted patriarchy as "normal",” the ‘Citadel’ actor was quoted as saying.

About being asked how Hollywood is with pay-parity, Priyanka Chopra said that her upcoming show ‘Citadel’ is the first time she is receiving equal pay as her co-actor. "Well, the first time it's happened to me, it has happened in Hollywood. So I don't know going forward. Because this was my first show with a male actor as a co-lead," the ‘Quantico’ actor said in her interview.

Priyanka Chopra is currently busy with Russo Brothers’ ‘Citadel’. The series will star Richard Madden and will release exclusively on Prime Video.

In Bollywood, Priyanka Chopra will be seen in Farhan Akhtar’s ‘Jee Le Zara’. The film also stars Alia Bhatt and Katrina Kaif.

Edited by Porcupine - 1 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Is she talking about the beginning of her Bollywood career or throughout her time in Bollywood?  Because yes I’m sure she was paid 10% of Akshay or SRK in Aitraaz or Don, but was she also paid 10% of Farhan in The Sky Is Pink?  Or 10% of Anil and Ranveer in DDD?  Because by that time she was a big enough name where she could have raised a stink about it specially for DDD. Zoya prides herself on being a feminist, as does her brother.  I would have loved to have seen their reactions to being called out on this.  Assuming this is true and Priyanka was paid 10% of Anil and Ranveer’s pay.  

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Peeps seriously need to understand the diff between a doctor or nurse or teacher asking for equal pay and an actor wanting equal pay.

The rest of us are paid based on the work we put in. 

You, my dear friend, get paid based on the number of backsides you can put on seats. 

Also, doncha have a production company? Do you pay all your actors equally, regardless of box office status?

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: IAmLuvBolly

Is she talking about the beginning of her Bollywood career or throughout her time in Bollywood?  Because yes I’m sure she was paid 10% of Akshay or SRK in Aitraaz or Don, but was she also paid 10% of Farhan in The Sky Is Pink?  Or 10% of Anil and Ranveer in DDD?  Because by that time she was a big enough name where she could have raised a stink about it specially for DDD. Zoya prides herself on being a feminist, as does her brother.  I would have loved to have seen their reactions to being called out on this.  Assuming this is true and Priyanka was paid 10% of Anil and Ranveer’s pay.  

Masand asked a roundtable of guys (Anil/Akki/Ranveer) about Anushka saying she is not given same accomodations as her male counterparts on sets. An Ranveer jokingly just said "which sets has she been on cause I feel that also" Then they all just laughed 😆

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Deepika got paid half of what Ranbir got paid for Tamasha. Can't even imagine what the gap between Ranbir and Alia was for Brahmastra. Ranveer is probably getting paid more than Alia for Rocky-Rani. Did Katrina ever even get paid half of the actor's salary at her peak when the entire marketing campaigns used to be built around her songs? 

Sure, a part of these salaries are strictly based on an actor's market value. But there are obviously structural gender related pay gaps. What's there to deny. 😕

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

Masand asked a roundtable of guys (Anil/Akki/Ranveer) about Anushka saying she is not given same accomodations as her male counterparts on sets. An Ranveer jokingly just said "which sets has she been on cause I feel that also" Then they all just laughed 😆

From what I have seen of celebrity contacts, the actors are almost always bigger divas than the actresses. 😆

Mages thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 6

Well i am not zure abt their salaries but i definitely know they are earning crores and being paid in crores be equal or non-equal along with fame is also with them so what are they complaning about. They are complaining as if they only thousands rupees. 

My grandpa always says be happy in what you earn and what god gives you whether big or small. You can't get all 3 worlds on your palm one need to learn to be happy of what you have and never stop your hardwork

HearMeRoar thumbnail
Originally posted by: semantic.error

Deepika got paid half of what Ranbir got paid for Tamasha. Can't even imagine what the gap between Ranbir and Alia was for Brahmastra. Ranveer is probably getting paid more than Alia for Rocky-Rani. Did Katrina ever even get paid half of the actor's salary at her peak when the entire marketing campaigns used to be built around her songs? 

Sure, a part of these salaries are strictly based on an actor's market value. But there are obviously structural gender related pay gaps. What's there to deny. 😕

Both were films signed before the female actors became popular. Deepika herself said she got paid more than her male costars in Padmavat, which was signed after she became a star. Alia deliberately cuts her salary as she has admitted herself to make herself more hireable. 

I don’t know about Katrina.

Yes, women get taken advantage of massively. But PC doesn't bring in numbers anywhere close to SRK or Akki. As another member said, she should clarify if this was across the board. Did she get paid 10% of Ranvir for DDD?

There is a gender gap in pay in regular jobs. But when the pay is market-based... 🤷‍♀️ 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Kangana got more than Saif/Shahid in Rangoon. Did she deserve ?

infinity101 thumbnail
Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 3

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn’t an actor’s fee depend on how much of a crowd puller they are? And less on gender? It’s business at the end of the day.