Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Tapdance thumbnail
IPL 2023 Match Winner Thumbnail IPL 2023 Participants 2 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 2 years ago

How much did the show diverge from the books in S01?

Did it have a lot of originality/creativity?

LizzieBennet thumbnail
Originally posted by: Tapdance

I have a vague idea about this season, same here...Season 1 came out of nowhere. A couple of my friend's saw and enjoyed it...and then the generic buzz around the show made me curious.

TVWLM is your favourite? A lot of readers seem to love this one, so I'm excited overall with the Desi additions and a different mature story this time around. Also, I wasn't deeply invested in him in season 1. So, if it's good again it'll be so much more fun to invest in a character with varying depths and from what you mention and general overall take on this story it sounds positive. A lot of readers were excited to see Anthony in S01, I didn't get the craze back then. Plus Simone's character sounds and looks badass🀩

I got a generic vibe of the series while reading about it during S01, every season is a new sibling. So, I got the general vibe that Daphne might be somewhere around like the other siblings in S01 for this season but not Duke.

Interested to see if they can have the audience as invested as the S01 story, if they manage to do it again this show will be a long term goldmine for Netflix. The initial looks seem interesting till now!

You've read the whole series'?

Simone's character - Kate- is a badass.

I have read the entire series and I have to say I like TVWLM best. It used to be Romancing Mr. Bridgerton (Colin and Penelope's book) but on re-read I found I enjoyed TVWLM more. Most people rate Francesca's story (Book 6: When he was wicked) the highest. Not me though! πŸ˜³

Oh were they excited about Anthony in S1? I thought the buzz was all around Simon and RJP! In fact, I most ppl on the FB group I'm on hated Anthony in S1 .. ngl, he was kinda a d*ck and I hate what they did to his character in S1. In the books, he's such a supportive older brother to all his siblings! Protective, yes but not in the overbearing way it was shown in S1.

Tbh, even Daphne does not feature in TVWLM much. Both Simon and Daphne are there for the Pall Mall game - that's it. Colin is a delight in it though - so sassy and I love how he gangs up with Kate and enjoys Anthony's discomfort around her. I hope they retain all of that in the series! Colin in the books is so much more fun! Somehow I feel the series is missing out on the books' humor! JQ has a way of writing that incorporates so many laugh-out-loud moments. But most of them are in the descriptions, so I get how it maybe difficult to translate them into the screen. Still, I hope to see the Bee scene, the under-the-library-desk scene, Newton's chase into the Serpentine, the Pall Mall ofc and so many more. 

From the BTS photos there are so many new scenes that are not in the book - but i hope they don't come at the expense of what's in the book! They would have had to add a lot of material - the book does not have enough content to fill 8 1-hour episodes! 

Edited by LizzieBennet - 2 years ago
EuphoricDamsel thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

wait wut?

Do you mean this?

This looks like some horse race (It's not in the book)

No the one where these guys were on horses...it came around September I guess. 

EuphoricDamsel thumbnail

I haven't read Book 1 actually. I started from Book 2 went up until 3 and the rest are all in TBR lol.

LizzieBennet thumbnail
Originally posted by: EuphoricDamsel.

No the one where these guys were on horses...it came around September I guess. 

Post source please! Need to see

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Yes they did change around a lot!

What wasn't in the book -

1. The storyline with Will and Alice.

2. Mr. Featherington does not feature at all in the books.

3. There's a 4th Featherington sister, Felicity in the books who's BFFs with Hyacinth. She's not featured in the series.

4. The whole Colin- Marina storyline, and Marina's arc - though she is engaged to George who dies in battle and then marries Phillip, his brother. She does not get pregnant though and Phillip's kids are his and Marina's. Marina is a distant cousin of the Bridgertons and not the Featheringtons. Eloise starts a correspondence with Phillip after she dies and that sets the tone for her book.

Marina is not featured in the books until Book 5 (Eloise, To Sir Phillip with love), so that entire storyline with her coming to stay with the Featheringtons and needing to get married in a hurry is all changed.  

5. Queen Charlotte isn't part of the series at all, and by extension, neither is Prince Friedrich. And ofc Simon isn't Black. Ig they included her since she's supposed to be of mixed race and used it as a means to justify the presence of Black people (and by extension brown) in the gentry during the time (though slavery wasn't abolished until 1833 so this would probably not be accurate) .

6. The Anthony- Siena storyline. There is a mention of an opera singer, Maria with whom Anthony has a 'casual' relationship though it's nowhere as intense as they've shown in the series with him and Siena. (She makes a brief appearance in TVWLM)

They changed Anthony's character a lot from the books (I will forever be mad about this!).  

7. Simon and Lady Danbury's connection is not in the books. This actually seems like it's taken from one of JQ's other books- How to marry a Marquis where the ML, James is Lady Danbury's nephew and when his mom (her sister) dies, he's abused by his dad and Danbury takes him away and raises him. 

Daphne and Simon have 3 girls (Also named alphabetically) and their fourth child is the son and heir whereas the series shows their firstborn to be a boy. Daphne actually is pregnant during TVWLM with their first child, but S1 ended with her giving birth so I'm guessing S2 happens after this.

8. The entire Whistledown reveal does not come until book 4 (Penelope and Colin's book) and forms the crux of the storyline.

9. Lord Granville, Benedict and Madame Delacroix storyline.

10. Eloise's 'sleuthing' storyline.

These are just some that come to mind, but I'm sure there was a lot more. The book actually has very little material (definitely not enough to fill a season's worth of episodes!), so I'm not surprised they added in all that 'masala'. 

Besides I guess they needed the Bridgerton siblings to do something in S1!

Edited by LizzieBennet - 2 years ago
EuphoricDamsel thumbnail
Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

Post source please! Need to see

I got it off from instagram but will link down below if I find them. 

EuphoricDamsel thumbnail

Heyyyyy Peeps!

Here you go...finally found a little something on the spoiler pictures I mentioned yesterday. 

πŸ€—

These were the pictures I was talking about. Kate seems to be rushing in a hurry and Anthony seems to be rushing after her? I guess.

Are they planning on changing the confession scene and take a different route from the actual "Kate stuck in the carriage" scene from the books and make it a tad bit more intense and dramatic?

I wonderrrrrrrr☺️

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9652223/Bridgertons-Jonathan-Bailey-Simone-Ashley-film-horseback-series-2-Windsor-Great-Park.html

Edited by EuphoricDamsel. - 2 years ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail
Originally posted by: EuphoricDamsel.

Heyyyyy Peeps!

Here you go...finally found a little something on the spoiler pictures I mentioned yesterday. 

πŸ€—

These were the pictures I was talking about. Kate seems to be rushing in a hurry and Anthony seems to be rushing after her? I guess.

Are they planning on changing the confession scene and take a different route from the actual "Kate stuck in the carriage" scene from the books and make it a tad bit more intense and dramatic?

I wonderrrrrrrr☺️

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9652223/Bridgertons-Jonathan-Bailey-Simone-Ashley-film-horseback-series-2-Windsor-Great-Park.html

Maybe it’s not a carriage, and her horse runs amok and Anthony’s chasing after her? πŸ€” Thanks for sharing Ritu!

I know there will be stuff changed from what’s in the book, I just don’t want them to change too much and take away from the essence of the story!

manny136 thumbnail

Thanks lizzie for inviting me to this cc looks good hope to participate here often.