Q. Why does world not recognise bollywood like kpop/kdramas? - Page 7

Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by Chameli_billi

An entire race is ugly? That’s textbook racism. 

have they even seen wi ha joon tho 

Originally posted by return_to_hades

To clarify, I never said Bollywood deteriorated in content. There is no doubt that Bollywood has been producing higher-quality cinema lately. They may not be mega-hits, but there is something lovely about getting a wide range of simple story-driven films.  

That being said cinema can be an escapist medium. DDLJ and HAHK are peak escapism. Wafer-thin plots with larger-than-life characters, the whole colorful song and dance sequences - were something. When you look at popularity of Bollywood films in Africa, Latin America, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia - it is largely based on escapism. The song and dance routine appeal to them too because even they have cultural parallels to Indians. Today's content and story-driven cinema don't appeal to people who view cinema as an escapist medium. 

It just goes to show that people don't value the opinions of poorer and POC nations as much as white western nations. And to be honest, I perceive the whole western rejection of escapist cinema as ludicrous. Most people are trying too hard to be high brow. There was a whole era of musicals even in the west. What are the differences between something like Sound of Music and Bollywood films? Why does Slumdog Millionaire win an Oscar? Why is Mama Mia still a guilty pleasure? Why is even Spielberg remaking a classic musical? 

It often feels that western audiences won't embrace Bollywood escapism when it is Indians just being Indians and reveling in their Indianness - but will lap it up if there is an angle of poverty or overthrowing oppression.

Slumdog millionaire was/is complete trash. Not even worthy of a paan masala award. 

Originally posted by Mahisa_22

Slumdog millionaire was/is complete trash. Not even worthy of a paan masala award. 

Paan Bihar award πŸ˜†

Originally posted by melody442

Kpop and kdrama has gone much more ahead of bollywood in last 5 years in terms of international appeal and visibility. There's no to way about it. And it's not that every thing Korea produces is of exceptional quality. But they offer so much variety and have built a brand and fandom for themselves which is sure to check out their content.

Their shows do not drag for years with same actors and storyline. They are over in 16 episodes most of the times. And these show offers new faces and new stories. Even if you don't like 8 out of 10 shows,chances are that remaining 2 will catch your interest. 

They have utilized social media to maximum level. Plus they have these young, handsome / pretty, well packaged idols and actors/ actresses which especially appeals to teen and young audiences.

Bollywood offers same 50 year old actors that we have watching from past 30 years. Even our so called younger actors are above 35. Kpop has tonnes of good looking idols in early 20s debuting every other month.It's anyones guess which choice is more appealing for a young girl.  Bollywood masala movies show 50 year old uncles getting pretty girls of 25 years of age. Kdrama sells the fantasy of an ordinary girl being wooed by 2-3 handsome and young male leads. So again it's anyone's guess what kind of story young girls and women would want to see on screen. Being Centre of attention of couple of handsome 25-30 year guys or being a side kick for a 50 year old. A new trending it girl and boy emerges like every 6 months which keeps things fresh and moving. 

Female idols follow latest trends and styles and kind of become a role model to take inspiration from in terms of styling. 

Kpop and kdrama is nothing exceptional or intellectual for  most part, especially the trending ones that have most fans. But it is well packaged, takes into account the taste of its core audience, is fast paced, offers variety, sells fantasy in a much more effective and appealing way. So no wonder it has left bollywood far behind which  has no newness and diversity in terms of looks or themes. 

Well, our women viewers too indulge old uncles wooing (and getting) young women. 

K-pop is overrated.

5 minutes se jyada dekh nahi sakti main.

Well, our women viewers too indulge old uncles wooing (and getting) young women. 

I don't think that women form the core audience of such masala movies. And even if some women viewers of India don't have issues with such themes, women of other countries definitely don't like them and hence, the popularity of k dramas internationally. 

Bro, you really have no idea about how racist Koreans can be. They call any slightly dark people as Africans and are obsessed with surgery. 

I have some insight. Some of them look down upon Indians for eating with our hands. And feel our food smells (I mean have you even smelled kimchi πŸ˜†). 

But at least they aren't racist towards their own countrymen!

Originally posted by tapori

I have some insight. Some of them look down upon Indians for eating with our hands. And feel our food smells (I mean have you even smelled kimchi πŸ˜†). 

But at least they aren't racist towards their own countrymen!

How is that any better from being racist towards others? Racist is racism, be it towards one's own or others. 

Also, they call very racist names to their people who look Southeast Asian, so that argument doesn't really stand. πŸ˜†

Originally posted by Lalakhun1

K dramas I havent watched like for more than 10 years, the innocent / cute act are very annoying, also I used to read how they say in real life korean people are not even like that ?

Also I might be different, but I am not interested in culture other than my own, especially if I am not understanding the language, i will not bother watching or listening to the songs. 

The xenophobia jumped out.

Edited by Daechwita - 2 years ago
Originally posted by tapori

I have a theory. The nations that're on good terms with US, politically, enjoy the access to easily spread their soft power in US, and that does have a cascading effect world over. Of course, quality hone ko maangta.

So e.g. if say (and it's a big say πŸ’€) K-Pop were to emanate from North Korea, I doubt it'd be able to enjoy such reach. 

Good thing for India is that US-India relations are on an upswing, and will remain so for a long time to come. I predict Bollywood to start getting a better spotlight in Amreeka. Bas dhang ki picturein bana lein.

That's not it ....Kpop groups had been trying to break into US for a while in US(even before Gangnam style went viral)  and none of it got attention till BTS blew up and US radio stations still refuse to play fully Korean songs.