Pranbir Two Shots - The Business Trip (Part 2 updated)

Posted: 3 years ago

Hi guys, I'm back with my new two shots. Ican gave me the idea for this ts. So, idea credit goes to Ican. Dunno what I have written. Hope you guys like it. *Fingers crossed*

The business trip

Cursing the atrocious traffic under her breath, Prachi rushed into the office. She was running late and it was like a stigma to the usually punctual girl. In her haste to get to her desk, she careened straight into someone. She would have fallen back due to the force of the collision when two strong hands steadied her. Mumbling an apology, she sidestepped the person without taking a good look at him. However, the person seemed to be disinclined to let her off the hook as he caught hold of her arm and pulled her back.

Exasperated, Prachi looked up with the intention of admonishing him as he was hindering her progress despite her apology for the unintentional mistake.

“What do you want? Oh! It’s you!” Prachi’s frown of annoyance disappeared as recognition dawned on her regarding the identity of her tormentor.

“Yes. It’s me. The poor guy whose almost every single bone you have broken by crashing into him with the speed of a running express.”Ranbir grimaced dramatically.

“Really! If you don’t get out of my way right away I’m going to break the rest too. Move.” Prachi scowled

“Uh huh! Make me!” Ranbir smirked

“Ugh! Ranbir don’t pester me now. I’m already running late and in no mood for your stupid antics.” Prachi sighed in irritation.

“Haw! Prachi, did you call me stupid?” Ranbir’s glowered at her

“No, I called your antics stupid.” Prachi rolled her eyes exasperatedly.

To everyone’s good fortune, the arrival of the peon brought about the much required ceasefire between the two warring parties. They were informed by the peon that Ranbir’s dad Vikram Kohli had asked them to meet him in his cabin. As they trotted off towards their destination they resumed their bickering yet again and only stopped on reaching the cabin. As they entered the cool confines of the cabin, Prachi sighed in contentment as it provided the much craved relief from the sweltering heat outside.

“Oh, Prachi, Ranbir! Come in. Come in.” Vikram Kohli looked up from the papers strewn all over his desk as they knocked and pushed the door azar.

“Good Morning, Sir.” Prachi smiled respectfully.

“Good Morning, dad.” Ranbir beamed.

“Good Morning to both of you. Sit. I have an important assignment for both of you.” Vikram gestured at the vacant chairs in front ofhis desk.

“You know what dad, sometimes I have this really strong feeling that I’m your adopted son.” Ranbir made a face.

“Why, son?” Bemused, Vikram stared at his son with a slight frown.

“What else can be the reason for burying me under mountains of work?” Ranbir released a long suffering sigh.

“Done with your theatrics, son? I do that because someone has to cure your laziness.” Vikram smirked as he leaned back in his chair.

“Daaad!” Ranbir glowered at a giggling Prachi

“What dad? Am I saying anything wrong, Prachi?” Chuckling,Vikram turned towards Prachi.

“Not at all, Sir. He is such a lazybones. Ever ready to skip work.” Prachi nodded solemnly but couldn’t hold on to the solemn expression for long and burst into fits of giggles.

“Dad! Prachi! Stop pulling my legs.” Ranbir scowled

“Strange! If we are pulling your legs than how are you still upright and not sprawling on the floor?” Prachi made an innocent face but her eyes were glinting with mischief.

“Prachi! You….” Ranbir began

“Okay. Since your never ending fights will go on, let’s come to the matter in hand. Let me fill you in on the assignment you are about to undertake.” Vikram intercepted with a chuckle.

“We have a subsidiary company at Kasauli. You have to deliver this file to the GM Mr. Rishabh Pathak. This is a very confidential file and that’s why I want you both to deliver it in person.” Vikram lifted the said file off the desk and after flipping through the pages to see if everything was in order, handed it over to Prachi.

“Sir, how many days will it take? I have to inform my mom.”Prachi smiled tentatively.

“If you start tomorrow morning you will reach there by the evening at the most. I’ll arrange for your overnight stay in the Company's guest house and then you can deliver the file to Mr Pathak in the morning.After that you can return home by the evening day after tomorrow. Don’t worry,child. You will be safe. That’s why I am sending this bodyguard with you.”Vikram smiled benevolently as he understood that she had qualms about spending a night away from her family.

“Oh please! I’m not her bodyguard.” Ranbir was indignant while Prachi beamed.

“Answer me son if Prachi gets into any kind of trouble what will you do?” Vikram raised his brows in inquisition.

“Ensure her safety off course. Get her out of the trouble.”Ranbir was befuddled.

“You got my point.” Vikram smirked complacently

“Dad! You can call me her friend also. Bodyguard?” Ranbir made a very adorable puppy face.

“Ok. Calm down. Friend and not bodyguard. Happy?” Vikram smiled indulgently at his son.

“Yeah.” Ranbir beamed while Prachi giggled at his antics.

“I’m giving you both the day off today to prepare for the journey tomorrow.” Vikram smiled at them

“Bye dad, sir.” They chorused as they sauntered out of the cabin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Ranbir was humming his favourite tune as he ambled towards his car, simultaneously unlocking the doors. As soon as he squatted down on the driver’s seat and stuffed his overnight bag unceremoniously on the back seat, someone rushed in through the passenger's door, startling him out of his wits.

“Aaaah! Ghost! Mummy! Papa! Dida! Save me!” Ranbir leaned as far away from the intruder as feasible without actually falling out of the car.

The glasses of the car as well as the nearby doors and windows survived the onslaught of Ranbir’s shriek due to sheer luck.

He blinked as a melodious and very familiar laughter hit his eardrums. Flabbergasted, his mouth fell open as recognition dawned on him, effectively replacing his apprehension with irritation.

“Prachi! Couldn’t you ask my permission like couth people instead of just barging in?” Ranbir was annoyed as well as abashed.

Ranbir was mortified as he had revealed his fear of ghosts in front of her and he was quite sure she wasn’t going to let him off the hook so easily. Hence, he attempted to divert her attention.

“Excuse me! I am uncouth? What happened to your manners when you just barged into my house and even my room? Where did all those manners go?To graze in the field?” Prachi scowled at him.

“Hush! Prachi don’t say the room part so loudly. People will think something else.” Ranbir looked around him with mock concern.

Soon he began to guffaw seeing Prachi’s face turning red with annoyance but his laughter turned into gasp as Prachi whacked him with thefile she was clutching.

“Woah! Calm down woman! You know what Prachi, there should be a department for domestic violence against men to save sweet, innocent, poor guys like me from tyrants like you.”  Ranbir chuckled

“Are you done with your prattle? Shall we leave now? We have to reach there before nightfall and not the next year. Get a move on, Ranbir.”Prachi rolled her eyes.

“Okay. Okay. Why do you keep scolding me all the time?”Ranbir made a face as he put the car in gear and drove out of Kohli Mansion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They had been driving for two hours when Ranbir opted for a by lane citing heavy traffic as the reason for the detour. The road they were driving through had much lesser traffic and was flanked on both sides with lush greenery.

Prachi was staring out of the window with a soft smile playing on her lips. She was relishing the green landscape, soothing to the eyes used to the bricks and mortars of the city.

“Penny for your thoughts?” Ranbir smiled

“Nothing. I love greenery. We grew up amidst the greenery of Hoshiarpur and it instilled in me a love for nature and the countryside. I miss being close to the nature in Delhi. So, I’m gathering as much memory of the serene beauty of this green nature as I can before returning to the city life.”Prachi smiled in reminiscence.

Absentmindedly she turned towards the windscreen. Her eyes widened in trepidation.

“Ranbir! Stop! Stop! Stop the car!” Prachi clutched his sleeve.

“What? What’s wrong?” Ranbir spluttered as he put his foot on the break with all his might causing the car to swerve formidably before it skidded to a halt.

“Prachi? Where are you going?” Ranbir was flummoxed as Prachi released her seat belt and got out of the car as soon as it stopped.

“Ugh! She is a complete loon.” Exasperated, Ranbir too got out of the car.

About to berate her for the scare she gave him, Ranbir was rendered speechless by the sight that greeted him.

Prachi was holding a very small, black puppy, caressing it.Still cradling the puppy, she got to her feet. After crossing over to the edge of the widespread, green fields; she crouched down and placed it on the ground,nudging it forward lightly. Soon the puppy sprinted deeper into the fields.

With a smile of gratification, Prachi straightened up and turned to walk back to the car when she found Ranbir leaning back on his car with arms crossed over his chest and a sweet smile playing on his lips.

With an inquisitive smile, she meandered towards him.

Ranbir was staring at the girl who was not only exquisitely beautiful but also possess a heart of gold as she drew closer.

You are so different from the other girls I have ever known. Your compassion not only encompasses the human beings, old and young alike, but also extends to the animals. Not many girls would have risked their own safety to ensure that of an animal. You are a blessing, Prachi, to a society which doesn’t think twice in harming others for their own gain. When people won’t stop to help a wounded person, you stopped to save the life of a puppy. No one can match up to you. Not even Rhea.Ever.

Ranbir blinked as someone clicked their fingers in front of him. Lost as he was in his thoughts, he didn’t realize when Prachi had reached him.

“Earth to Ranbir. Where are you? Still with me?” Prachi giggled

“I was thinking.” Ranbir smiled pensively.

“That I can clearly see. But thinking what?” Prachi smiled inquisitively

“You are a great person, Prachi. You have so much compassion for everyone, may it be human or animal. My respect for you increased manifolds today.” Ranbir’s smile slowly faded away and features became solemn.

Startled by his uncharacteristic laudation, Prachi stared at him and lost herself in the strange intensity in his gaze.

They weren’t aware of how much time passed. Suddenly somewhere a bird chirped in a raspy tone, breaking the fragile web of enchantment.

“Ranbir Kohli is praising me?” Prachi looked at him with a teasing smile.

“Ranbir Kohli is generous with praises where they are due.”Ranbir smirked

“In that case, I thank you Mr. Kohli.” Prachi curtsied playfully.

Both burst into fits of laughter. Still laughing they got into the car and drove away.

After driving for another hour, Ranbir noticed that Prachi was fidgeting restively. Wondering what could be the matter, he glanced at his wrist watch. Then did a double take and looked again. Then he glanced towards Prachi and grinned.

“Prachi” Ranbir had his eyes on the road ahead.

“Hmm” Prachi turned to him.

“You are hungry, aren’t you? Ranbir still had his eyes on the road but his lips curved into a teasing smile

“No” Prachi automatically opposed him

“No?” Ranbir turned to look at her.

“Ok. Yes. I’m starving.” Prachi pouted like a small kid

“Finally! Sometimes it’s good to accept that you too are not above human frailties, you know.” Ranbir smirked complacently.

“Ranbir! Lecture me some other time. For now see if you can find some restaurant.” Prachi made a face.

“Okay madam.” Ranbir touched two of his fingers to his forehead in mock salute.

After a few minutes ticked by, they came across a roadside“Dhaba”. Prachi urged Ranbir to stop the car.

"What happened now?” Ranbir was annoyed.

“Lunch break.” Prachi beamed sweetly, already unbuckling her seat belt.

“Lunch? But we haven’t yet found a restaurant.” Ranbir was befuddled.

“Our restaurant is right there.” Prachi gestured at the ‘Dhaba’.

“What? No way! I’m so not going to eat there, Prachi. It's so unhygienic.” Ranbir shook his head obstinately and folded his arms over his chest.

“Hygiene? Seriously, Ranbir? We don’t even know if we are going to come across any restaurant on the way. Are you coming or not? I'm starving. And when I’m starving, my mood turns really appalling. So, don’t try my patience and get a move on.” Prachi glowered at him menacingly. 

“Okay. Okay. I’m coming. Why do you always terrorize me?”Ranbir leaned away from Prachi in alarm.

“Because it always works.” Her formidable mood was gone as suddenly as it had appeared and she was all smiles again.

Unbuckling his seat belt, Ranbir disembarked from the car after Prachi, all the while mumbling under his breath, and followed her to the ‘Dhaba’.

Bemused, Ranbir glanced around only to see rope beds placed sporadically, with low tables in front of them.

“But where do we sit? Where are the tables? And where is the Maitre D’?” Ranbir looked at Prachi with a small frown.

“Maitre D’?” Prachi burst into fits of giggles

“What is so funny about it?” Ranbir’s frown deepened.

“This is not a five star restaurant that you will be greeted by a maitre d’.”Prachi fought down the urge to giggle again, “And to answer your other questions, we will sit on those rope beds. Come on, Ranbir, it’s fun to eat in a ‘dhaba’.”

She trotted off towards a vacant rope bed, leaving Ranbir to lag behind. He vacillated for a moment and then, resigning himself to the inevitable, trudged off towards the rope bed where Prachi had already plonked down.

As soon as they settled down, a pre-teen boy jogged up to them.

“What would you like to eat Ranbir?” Prachi looked at him inquisitively

“No idea. You order for both of us.” Ranbir made a face.

“Okay . Bring kadhi chawal and palak paneer along with lassi for both of us.” Prachi turned towards the kid.

Soon, the food was served. As Prachi was about to start she noticed that Ranbir was about to turn the bowl of kadhi over his rice.

“Arey what are you doing? You will spoil it all. Pour a little amount. Like this.” Prachi demonstrated the proper way of doing it.

“Sorry. I’m not used to eat without fork and spoon.” Ranbir made a puppy face.

“I understand. It’s difficult for you. Just emulate what I'm doing and you will be fine.” Prachi smiled understanding his plight.

Soon they tucked into the spicy delicacies. Ranbir cleaned the last morsel of food off his plate.

“Did you like the food?” Prachi smiled knowingly as they sat sipping their lassi.

“It’s delicious. I loved it.” Ranbir grinned

Suddenly, Prachi giggled making Ranbir throw a bemused look at her.

“You have great moustache.” Prachi giggled again.

“Moustache? What are you talking about?” Perplexed, Ranbir stared at her.

Prachi fiddled with her purse and fished out a tissue. She leaned forward and carefully wiped his mouth off with it, making him lost himself in her eyes sparkling with laughter again.

“You had a white moustache made of lassi. See.” Prachi showed him the tissue, still grinning broadly, making Ranbir laugh too.

Lost in their own world and playful banter, they were unaware of being observed by an older couple a few feet away from them.

“There’s so much love between them.” The woman sighed.

“They are probably newlyweds.” Her husband smiled affectionately.

“Hope their love remains as strong forever and only keeps increasing.” The woman blessed them from afar.

ohhhh loveeeed it!! Your writing is magical, I could totally imagine Prachi and Ranbir in these scenes!! I am so happy after reading this story, and waiting for the next part!!

Wohooo Nandini

That was beautifully written.

The fun fact is that you take a lot of effort to describe the situation and the tempo of the story so that the readers can imagine themselves in the situation.

Since you write beautifully you know you have raised the bars and maybe readers will start pestering you for a FF.

It is so much good,, 😊 loved it,, right now, i read a sad story and now this story changed my mood,, 

loved the part where vikram and prachi both were teasing him,, awww our cute bechara ranbir,,

and that dhaba part was damm cute,, hope they realise soon 😊

Wow brilliant  as usual👏👏. 

You really are a great writer no doubt about it. Would love if somehow your story becomes true. Its way better than annoying Mayas track. 

Mind blowing as usual :O can't wait for the update. Also one small question,so has Ranbir already realised his love for Prachi in this TS or is he still confused?

Originally posted by Sweta10

ohhhh loveeeed it!! Your writing is magical, I could totally imagine Prachi and Ranbir in these scenes!! I am so happy after reading this story, and waiting for the next part!!

Thanks so much for the lovely comment. 

I'll update soon.

Originally posted by ican

Wohooo Nandini

That was beautifully written.

The fun fact is that you take a lot of effort to describe the situation and the tempo of the story so that the readers can imagine themselves in the situation.

Since you write beautifully you know you have raised the bars and maybe readers will start pestering you for a FF.

Thanks so much Ican.

Thank u so much again. Don't know about the readers, but I'm thinking of starting a ff, but not just yet. I have a hazy plot in mind. 1st I will have to get something compact to base a story on. 

Originally posted by Aman120

It is so much good,, 😊 loved it,, right now, i read a sad story and now this story changed my mood,, 

loved the part where vikram and prachi both were teasing him,, awww our cute bechara ranbir,,

and that dhaba part was damm cute,, hope they realise soon 😊

Thanks so much Aman.

I know right. Sad stories always make me so sad. Happy to know that this ts changed your mood. 

Poor Ranbir. Sasur aur bahu toh peeche hi pad gaye. 

Thank you again. Hope so too. 

Originally posted by mala06

Wow brilliant  as usual👏👏. 

You really are a great writer no doubt about it. Would love if somehow your story becomes true. Its way better than annoying Mayas track. 

Thanks so much Mala.

I wish they show something like this. But knowing the cvs, they will choose stupid melodrama any day.