Pranbir Two Shots - The Engagement (Part 2 updated)

Posted: 4 years ago

Hi guys, I wanted the engagement to conclude by exposing Maya. Since it didn’t go that way, I have penned down the scenario I had in mind. So, go ahead guys. Read it and tell me how it has turned out. 

The Engagement

Part 1

Kohli Mansion had been decorated in a grandiloquent manner,exhibiting an opulence befitting the status of the renowned business family of Delhi. Everywhere there was a festive ambience. However, there was a tinge of gloom amidst all festivities. Guests have already started approaching and Vikram Kohli, the father of the groom and head of the Kohli business empire grimaced secretly after bestowing yet another fake smile on yet another guests he had welcomed her and directed her towards the hall where the engagement of his son was supposed to take place. No one in his family was happy with this so called engagement. It had been shoved down their throats. They had to give their consent due to compulsion. They were under threat from Choubey, the bride's father and at the moment, are unable to escape the situation. Sighing in resignation, he beamed at the last of the guests and led them to the hall where a platform had been raised adorned with two throne style chairs. Rows of majestic couches had been set in front of the platform to accommodate the guests. Currently, the chairs meant for those who were to be engaged were vacant as both the prospective bride and groom were engaged in conversation with their respective groups of friends and family. However, there was a stark disparity in the respective visages of Ranbir Kohli, the prospective groom and Maya Choubey, the prospective bride. While Maya’s features were alight with exhilaration and excitement and smugness at her good fortune, Ranbir was morose and dejected and under the grip of an unbearable tension as he waited on tenterhooks for the arrival of the girl who was his good friend and whom he loves secretly, Prachi, to rescue him from this mess. However, as the minutes passed by and the auspicious moment for the engagement began to draw closer,Ranbir was growing restive.

“Have you called Prachi? When is she going to come? After the engagement is over?”  Ranbir glanced anxiously at his Rolex yet again.

“I had. Don’t worry. She said she will come at the right moment.” Aryan tried to pacify his agitated best friend, who was more than a sibling to him.

“When will the right moment come? After I’m tied for life to that Maya?” scowled a fidgety Ranbir

Aryan sighed as he acknowledged the fact that there was no reasoning with Ranbir in this mood. He began to scan the gathering instead in the hope of getting a glimpse of Prachi and her family. However, his search proved to be futile. Just as even Aryan was starting to wonder about Prachi’s whereabouts, his peripheral vision caught a flash of vibrant colour and even before Aryan turned to have a better look, he had an idea regarding the identity of the person. It was Sahana alright, followed by Saritaji. But why were they alone? Where was Prachi?

Before he could ponder more on the enigma, Ranbir was being called on the stage as the auspicious moment had finally arrived. He had to push Ranbir in the right direction who, after throwing a glance of utter desolation and helplessness, began to make his way among the throng of people with all the enthusiasm of a person approaching the gallows.

As he slowly mounted the steps to the platform, Ranbir turned back yet again. Still there was no trace of Prachi.

“Arey damadji! What happened? Are you waiting for someone?”Choubey’s hoarse drawl grated on Ranbir’s already ruffled nerves.

“Nothing. I’m alright.” Ranbir smiled though it appeared to be a grimace more

“Then what are we waiting for? Let’s begin the ceremony.”Choubey guffawed

By then Ranbir had reached the platform. His parents, Vikramand Pallavi, patted his shoulders in an effort to pacify him though they both knew it was futile. Gloom etched on their visages, they urged him to take his place beside Maya. As Choubey told his wife to bring Maya to the stage, the light of hope in Ranbir’s eyes had gradually started to dim and a sense of utter bleakness began to take over him.

As Aryan approached Sahana and Saritaji, Sahana sidestepped him and trotted off in the direction where Maya had been standing and now began to walk towards the platform, accompanied by her mother. Aryan frowned at her and then turned back to Saritaji.

“What’s going on Sarita aunty? Where is Prachi? There is no time left.” He inquired

“I too don’t have any idea. The girls were engaged in a whispered conversation a few hours back and then Prachi left after saying that she will come in at the right moment.” Saritaji glowered at Sahana’s retreating back

Perplexed, Aryan gulped down the lump that formed in his throat. He did not have the least idea what Prachi was up to and if she could at all make it on time because the ceremony was just moments away.

Everything happened in lightning speed then. One moment Sahana was striding towards Maya and the next moment, a waiter, who was passing by with a tray laden with welcome drinks for the guests, tripped, drenching Maya’s expensive lehenga.

“Idiot! Can’t you see where you are going? You have spoilt my dress. Do you have any idea how expensive it is?” a furious Maya rounded onthe meek waiter as the latter apologized profusely.

As if by magic, Ranbir’s grandmother materialized beside Maya as Sahana joined the tableau.

“Oh never mind dear girl. I wanted to gift you a beautiful dress that caught my eye when I went out for shopping yesterday. I had bought it and decided to gift it to you on your engagement. Now that this dress is spoiled you can always wear that dress.” Dida beamed affectionately at Maya as she patted her cheek

“Sure Dida. Thank you so much. I don’t know what would have happened had you not been there.” Maya bestowed a fake smile on her, nudged by her mother secretly.

“Nothing wrong will happen with my loved ones as long as I'm there, my dear. Don’t you worry. Now come with me. I will take you to my room.You can change into the dress I have bought for you there. Sahana, you also come with me. No, no, Mrs. Choubey, you don’t have to come. After all Maya is going to be our daughter in law soon. We too have some rights on her, don’t you think?” Dida smiled politely at Maya’s mother who instantly conceded her request. Soon, Maya disappeared in the swarm of people, flanked by Dida and Sahana.

Befuddled, Ranbir looked at Aryan who was staring right back at him with a puzzled frown, both being unable to understand what exactly was going on.

Bemused, Ranbir wondered why his Dida was being so affable towards Maya when she was the most vociferous in her protest against this engagement.

Soon afterwards Maya returned flanked by Dida and Sahana. Maya was dressed in a beautiful and elegant blue lehenga. However, strangely,her face was concealed under the dupatta of the lehenga. On being asked the reason, Dida replied that it was their family custom to keep the daughter in law’s face hidden under a veil until the rituals are completed successfully.Maya’s father readily conceded though her mother was a little skeptical but her objection was overridden by Choubey with the same obstinacy he had displayed throughout his dealings with the Kohlis.

Ranbir was growing even more glum and despondent with each passing moment. Much to his chagrin, his dida was the one to bring Maya to him and make her stand near him.

“Ranbir, put the ring on her finger, son.” Dida coaxed affectionately

Flummoxed, Ranbir gaped at her. She gestured him to continue the ritual. With a sigh, he glanced towards the door once again and then resigning himself to his fate, turned back to Maya and placed the ring on her finger. The hall burst into applause while Ranbir just stood there with a stony face, feeling detached from his surroundings. Again urged by his Dida, he raised his hand listlessly and Maya placed the ring on his finger.  Yet again, the hall rang with a cheerful bout of applause. 

Edited by Nandini25 - 4 years ago

Originally posted by Nandini25

Hi guys, I wanted the engagement to conclude by exposing Maya. Since it didn’t go that way, I have penned down the scenario I had in mind. So, go ahead guys. Read it and tell me how it has turned out. 

The Engagement

Kohli Mansion had been decorated in a grandiloquent manner,exhibiting an opulence befitting the status of the renowned business family of Delhi. Everywhere there was a festive ambience. However, there was a tinge of gloom amidst all festivities. Guests have already started approaching and Vikram Kohli, the father of the groom and head of the Kohli business empire grimaced secretly after bestowing yet another fake smile on yet another guests he had welcomed her and directed her towards the hall where the engagement of his son was supposed to take place. No one in his family was happy with this so called engagement. It had been shoved down their throats. They had to give their consent due to compulsion. They were under threat from Choubey, the bride's father and at the moment, are unable to escape the situation. Sighing in resignation, he beamed at the last of the guests and led them to the hall where a platform had been raised adorned with two throne style chairs. Rows of majestic couches had been set in front of the platform to accommodate the guests. Currently, the chairs meant for those who were to be engaged were vacant as both the prospective bride and groom were engaged in conversation with their respective groups of friends and family. However, there was a stark disparity in the respective visages of Ranbir Kohli, the prospective groom and Maya Choubey, the prospective bride. While Maya’s features were alight with exhilaration and excitement and smugness at her good fortune, Ranbir was morose and dejected and under the grip of an unbearable tension as he waited on tenterhooks for the arrival of the girl who was his good friend and whom he loves secretly, Prachi, to rescue him from this mess. However, as the minutes passed by and the auspicious moment for the engagement began to draw closer,Ranbir was growing restive.

“Have you called Prachi? When is she going to come? After the engagement is over?”  Ranbir glanced anxiously at his Rolex yet again.

“I had. Don’t worry. She said she will come at the right moment.” Aryan tried to pacify his agitated best friend, who was more than a sibling to him.

“When will the right moment come? After I’m tied for life to that Maya?” scowled a fidgety Ranbir

Aryan sighed as he acknowledged the fact that there was no reasoning with Ranbir in this mood. He began to scan the gathering instead in the hope of getting a glimpse of Prachi and her family. However, his search proved to be futile. Just as even Aryan was starting to wonder about Prachi’s whereabouts, his peripheral vision caught a flash of vibrant colour and even before Aryan turned to have a better look, he had an idea regarding the identity of the person. It was Sahana alright, followed by Saritaji. But why were they alone? Where was Prachi?

Before he could ponder more on the enigma, Ranbir was being called on the stage as the auspicious moment had finally arrived. He had to push Ranbir in the right direction who, after throwing a glance of utter desolation and helplessness, began to make his way among the throng of people with all the enthusiasm of a person approaching the gallows.

As he slowly mounted the steps to the platform, Ranbir turned back yet again. Still there was no trace of Prachi.

“Arey damadji! What happened? Are you waiting for someone?”Choubey’s hoarse drawl grated on Ranbir’s already ruffled nerves.

“Nothing. I’m alright.” Ranbir smiled though it appeared to be a grimace more

“Then what are we waiting for? Let’s begin the ceremony.”Choubey guffawed

By then Ranbir had reached the platform. His parents, Vikramand Pallavi, patted his shoulders in an effort to pacify him though they both knew it was futile. Gloom etched on their visages, they urged him to take his place beside Maya. As Choubey told his wife to bring Maya to the stage, the light of hope in Ranbir’s eyes had gradually started to dim and a sense of utter bleakness began to take over him.

As Aryan approached Sahana and Saritaji, Sahana sidestepped him and trotted off in the direction where Maya had been standing and now began to walk towards the platform, accompanied by her mother. Aryan frowned at her and then turned back to Saritaji.

“What’s going on Sarita aunty? Where is Prachi? There is no time left.” He inquired

“I too don’t have any idea. The girls were engaged in a whispered conversation a few hours back and then Prachi left after saying that she will come in at the right moment.” Saritaji glowered at Sahana’s retreating back

Perplexed, Aryan gulped down the lump that formed in his throat. He did not have the least idea what Prachi was up to and if she could at all make it on time because the ceremony was just moments away.

Everything happened in lightning speed then. One moment Sahana was striding towards Maya and the next moment, a waiter, who was passing by with a tray laden with welcome drinks for the guests, tripped, drenching Maya’s expensive lehenga.

“Idiot! Can’t you see where you are going? You have spoilt my dress. Do you have any idea how expensive it is?” a furious Maya rounded onthe meek waiter as the latter apologized profusely.

As if by magic, Ranbir’s grandmother materialized beside Maya as Sahana joined the tableau.

“Oh never mind dear girl. I wanted to gift you a beautiful dress that caught my eye when I went out for shopping yesterday. I had bought it and decided to gift it to you on your engagement. Now that this dress is spoiled you can always wear that dress.” Dida beamed affectionately at Maya as she patted her cheek

“Sure Dida. Thank you so much. I don’t know what would have happened had you not been there.” Maya bestowed a fake smile on her, nudged by her mother secretly.

“Nothing wrong will happen with my loved ones as long as I'm there, my dear. Don’t you worry. Now come with me. I will take you to my room.You can change into the dress I have bought for you there. Sahana, you also come with me. No, no, Mrs. Choubey, you don’t have to come. After all Maya is going to be our daughter in law soon. We too have some rights on her, don’t you think?” Dida smiled politely at Maya’s mother who instantly conceded her request. Soon, Maya disappeared in the swarm of people, flanked by Dida and Sahana.

Befuddled, Ranbir looked at Aryan who was staring right back at him with a puzzled frown, both being unable to understand what exactly was going on.

Bemused, Ranbir wondered why his Dida was being so affable towards Maya when she was the most vociferous in her protest against this engagement.

Soon afterwards Maya returned flanked by Dida and Sahana. Maya was dressed in a beautiful and elegant blue lehenga. However, strangely,her face was concealed under the dupatta of the lehenga. On being asked the reason, Dida replied that it was their family custom to keep the daughter in law’s face hidden under a veil until the rituals are completed successfully.Maya’s father readily conceded though her mother was a little skeptical but her objection was overridden by Choubey with the same obstinacy he had displayed throughout his dealings with the Kohlis.

Ranbir was growing even more glum and despondent with each passing moment. Much to his chagrin, his dida was the one to bring Maya to him and make her stand near him.

“Ranbir, put the ring on her finger, son.” Dida coaxed affectionately

Flummoxed, Ranbir gaped at her. She gestured him to continue the ritual. With a sigh, he glanced towards the door once again and then resigning himself to his fate, turned back to Maya and placed the ring on her finger. The hall burst into applause while Ranbir just stood there with a stony face, feeling detached from his surroundings. Again urged by his Dida, he raised his hand listlessly and Maya placed the ring on his finger.  Yet again, the hall rang with a cheerful bout of applause. 

Wohooo

You described the wedding hall and the emotions so well.

That is what we al needed 

An exposed maya

Ufff

Go

Go

Go

Plot twist!!!

Can't wait for the next part!!!!

Originally posted by anandhisuresh

Plot twist!!!

I know

Maya ok maza chakhaya jaeye

Wow nandini 👏👏. You are great. Waiting for Next part.

Originally posted by ican

Wohooo

You described the wedding hall and the emotions so well.

That is what we al needed 

An exposed maya

Ufff

Go

Go

Go

Thanks. 😃Yeah. We all need Maya to be exposed badly. 😡 Will update as soon as I write the next part. 

Originally posted by anandhisuresh

Plot twist!!!

Thanks 😃

Will update as soon as I can

Awsmly awsme nandini plz continue waiting for it

Originally posted by pranbirkridha

Awsmly awsme nandini plz continue waiting for it

Thanks 😃 Will update as soon as I can. 

So very well written, Nandini!👍🏼

Loved your style of writing...

We all wanted to see Maya getting exposed in engagement...so your TS will fulfill our wish😊

It seems Dida n Shahana are with Prachi in this plan... n our majnu Ranbir (who is being very stupid in this track) doesn't have any clue... that's good...so chances of success of plan are more😉

Waiting for next part to see how prachi's plan unfolds n maya's exposure...please update soon