Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Tiiii thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Chapter 2

Somewhere near Medasin Street

“Rishi baboo, are you sure this is the correct street?” asked Oshok, Roy’s family’s driver. “Yes, uncle. Positive”Rishi said. Oshok gulped. A nagging feeling peeked in his heart. Something didn’t feel right. Why would someone call anyone at such a bizarre place? There were no houses nearby, except for the occasional abandoned or the very old ones. Otherwise there were nothing but trees on either side of the road. Why would anyone live out at a place like this unless they absolutely have to?

Then Rishi spoke up, “we’re very close”followed by “ok, let’s stop here” about 5 minutes later. They stopped in front of a mansion. The whole atmosphere seemed gloomy, as if the tall building had an air of sorrow surrounding it, making it stand out. Oshok looked behind at Rishi, worried. Why is the young Roy at a place like this? All he felt was sadness, like the place stirred something in him and an unknown feeling of sorrow filled his heart. Why?

“Oshok kaka, can we get out? We’re here”Rishi said and smiled, breaking Oshok’s trance. “Are you sure Rishi baboo?” he asked one last time. “Yes kaka. I am sure. I’ll be fine” Rishi said, and squeezed Oshok’s shoulder. The man has been working for the Roy family for almost 20 years. He had basically raised Rishi and Rudra. So, to him, they were no less than his actual sons. “Ok, then” Oshok started. “I’ll wait for you here” he added. “No, you don’t have to! You’ll end up waiting for a really longtime!” Rishi exclaimed. The old man surprised him sometimes. “I’ll still wait” Oshok said. Rishi shook his head and said “Ok. Wait here” before smiling atOshok and getting out of the car.

Upon approaching the gates, they opened on their own. This freaked out Rishi, even just a little bit. “That’s strange,this only happens in horror movies” he thought. Behind Oshok gulped. How do gates open on their own?

“Maybe they have an intercom” Rishi reasoned with himself. He couldn’t and wouldn’t get scared now. He looked around and found himself to be admiring the old architect of the building. A statue of a water deity stood in the middle, covered in moss. The marbled pathway, leading to the house looked in dire need of a polish. Surrounding it were walls on all sides, which at one point were white but now looked dull and were also covered in moss.

Why did someone stay at a place like this? Wait; is this the abandoned palace Nour told him about? That can’t be. The palace was abandoned. This one isn’t. Besides, it looked pretty new to be considered abandoned and 12 years old. 

He stopped in front of the door and rang the bell. A woman seemingly in her late forties opened the door and slowly smiled up at him. For some reason, he presence put him at ease. Rishi smiledback and said, “Hi, I am Rishi Roy. I had applied for the position of Personal Assistant and was told to come here.” “Oh yes! Please come in!” the lady said.

Nandini welcomed the young man and asked him to sit. It was nice to see someone visiting after so long. “I am Nandini. I am the person who had posted the job description online” Nandini said and sat down. “Rishi Roy. It’s a pleasure to meet you ma’am” he said and extended his hand for handshake, which Nandini returned.

“So, the role is to be a personal assistant to someone who happens to be my daughter. You’ll get a chance to speak to her, but I’ll be the interviewer” she said and softly chuckled. She then said “tell me alittle about yourself” Nandini asked. Rishi started, explaining his ambitions and also his reasons behind applying for this role.

Maya got up and came down the stairs, only to stop in her tracks. It was an unfamiliar voice. Who was he? What was he doing here? Mom really had invited in another person to keep her company when she already had said no?!

She huffed and folded her arms. No way she’d be a friend with this guy! Stomping her feet, she went back into herroom.

“Great! I guess, you could start as soon as you want” Nandini said. Rishi beamed. He was officially hired. Granted the place looked a bit scary at first but at least there was a really nice lady to help him out! “Whatever you’d need let me know. Ok?” Nandini asked and smiled warmly. Rishi said “thank you ma’am. I really appreciate this” Nandini smiled and said “of course. You’re welcome!”

“I can start from tomorrow” he said and Nandini nodded in understanding. “Ma’am” Rishi called out and said, “Could you tell me where the washrooms are?” He asked. Nandini showed him where to go and sat down, before looking at the clock on the wall. It wasn’t yet time for Maya towake up, so she wouldn’t hear him.

If only she knew.

Rishi after leaving the washroom found him lost at the mansion. Every corridor and hallway looked the same. “Where do Igo” he asked himself. He started walking aimlessly with sweat building up on his forehead. “I can’t believe I didn’t even start working and I am already lost” he said in frustration. Then he stopped at a dead end. There was a door.“What wing is this?” he asked himself. “Dang it, I should’ve asked for the map!How did I find my way here but lost my way back?” He said to himself.

The door then slowly cracked open. Twopairs of widened eyes looked at him, surprise which slowly turned to anger.Rishi felt his eyes drop. Those eyes were blood red.

He gulped and backtracked. “Leave. Now!” said the owner of the eyes. That broke Rishi out of his trance and he started to sprint.

He ran as fast as he could, not stopping to see if those eyes were following him.

Nandini saw the young man running down the stairs, almost tripping midway.  

“Oh no” she said and felt her heart drop.

“I am sorry, but I can’t stay here.T-there’s someone or something upstairs” Rishi started, shaking. He gulped before adding, “I gotta go” and started to pick up his bags. “I am so sorry dear”Nandini started. “Ma’am. I appreciate it but I have to go. I am sorry. It asked me to leave” he said and ran out of the door.

“Maya” Nandini said and sighed.

How would she explain to this guy that her daughter didn’t like company? The poor boy looked so shaken up!

“Maybe I should send him a quick text explaining the situation. He probably won’t come back but at least he wouldn’t think he saw a ghost!” She said to herself and started to type a message.

Oshok saw Rishi run out of the door and all the alarm bells in his head started to go off. What happened? Did they start the young Roy?

Before Oshok could say anything, Rishi asked him to drive off, as fast as he could.

What was that? Why would anybody want to invite someone into a place like this?

Nandini was about to type the message when Maya walked in. “Really mom? Another so called company for me?” she asked.Nandini kept her phone down and said “I did it for you. Why did you scare away the poor boy?” “You know I don’t like company, and besides how could he even handle being near me when he can’t even look at my eyes?” Maya tried to reason with her mother. The truth is, there was a tiny strand of guilt protruding through her heart but she tried to ignore it.

“You could’ve at least given him a chance?”Nandini asked. “No, I couldn’t have. He wouldn’t be able to handle my face, because no one really can” she said, her eyes holding a faraway look. Nandini’s heart hurt for her daughter. “No matter what. Other than you, nobody can look at this face and stay sane” she said and left the room.

Nandini’s eyes watered. How could she change the story? Wasn’t there anything she could do?

Edited by Tahiti-1 - 4 years ago
Tiiii thumbnail

Chapter 3

Roy Mansion, Central City

“Wait, what?” Rudra asked, in surprise upon hearing about Rishi’s encounter with someone or according to him “something” athis new employer’s house.

“Really dada. I saw something! The lady couldn’t say anything! It’s like she doesn’t even know her house is possibly haunted!” Rishi exclaimed. “Are you sure it’s haunted?” Rudra asked. “Yes! I am positive!” Rishi exclaimed. “You don’t think it’s someone playing a prank?”Rudra asked. He was skeptical. Why would someone invite someone for an interview but then have him or her run away because of a “ghost?” Rishi opened his mouth to protest but suddenly his phone beeped. He huffed in frustration.“Who is it?” asked Rudra, gesturing towards his brother’s phone. “It’s my ex-employer” Rishi said and clicked on the text. “Are you serious now?” Rishi  asked in surprise. Rudra frowned and asked if he could see the text. It read,“hello, this is Nandini. I apologize for what happened earlier. I apologize whole heartedly, for this embarrassing, but my daughter has an unique sense of humor.” Now it was Rudra’s time to be shocked. “Strange” he said and started typing “and it means she’s the one who scared me?” and hit send. “Yes” Nandini replied. “May I ask why?” Rudra asked. Rishi had hesitated at first but then agreed to Rudra asking the questions. “She likes to play pranks on people”  Nandini replied, followed by a text on how embarrassed she felt and that she truly apologized on her daughter’s behalf. Rishi felt the apology was honest but Rudra was still a bit irritated. “Are you kidding me?” he said, looking up at his brother. “They post an ad online, looking for an assistant when Miss.Whatever has been playing pranks on people!” he exclaimed. What’s wrong with some people? “I feel sorry for the mother. Having to take care of such a spoilt brat” he said, “this lady, who’s obviously old enough is asking her poor mother to hire a personal assistant so she can scare them away?” Rudra asked, very angrily.

“Dada, calm down” Rishi said and sat beside his brother, before sending a quick text to Nandini stating that while he understood the situation and accepted her apology, he won’t be working for them. Besides, it’s not like Rudra would allow him to anyway.

“Calm down? Miss. Spoilt Princess plays pranks on people, to have them run away and you’re asking me calm down? What kind of nonsense is this?” Rudra asked, before stating “you know what, now I’ll go. I’ll apply to be her personal assistant. Let’s see how she holds up now.”Rishi sighed, shaking his head.

This is going to be long night. So much for his alone time with Nour.

Abandoned Mansion, Outskirts of the City

After breakfast, Nandini was sitting in the living room, replying to some emails. After an attack on their family 12  years ago, which resulted in the death of many including her husband, son and Maya’s boyfriend, their family lawyer suggested they remain incognito.

To many of the world outside, the Jaysingh family was dead. No one has found the killer yet. Yes initially, there were suspects but the case had closed as it found no lead. One of the suspects, much to Nandini’s shock was Mrittunjay Roy, someone she once considered her best friend.Just best friend, nothing more, and that feeling were mutual. However, soon after Nandini’s marriage, Mrittunjay and her family had fallout. Then a few months before Maya’s engagement, he reached out to her, letting her know that they wanted to reconcile with everyone. She vividly remembers Mrittunjay at Maya’s birthday; he had arrived with his wife, who sadly passed away in the fire as well. Why would Mrittunjay want to kill her family and that too when his wife was present?

Her trail of thought was cut short when she heard the front doorbell ring. Who could it be, that too at 7 am?

She got up and opened the door to be greeted by the face of a young man, who seemed to be in his mid twenties.

Nandini asked for the young man’s name andhe replied “Rudra Roy, I applied for the position for an assistant, along with my brother Rishi.”

Nandini’s smile fell in embarrassment. “Noma’am, it’s ok. I am not blaming you for anything, but maybe if you could give me a chance, I could be a good assistant to your daughter” he said. He wanted to say “just what you daughter need” but that could freak the poor lady out,and it could be mistaken for something completely different than he had applied for.

Nandini sent a nervous smile Rudra’s way and asked him to come in.

Maya once again found herself to be hearing two people conversing, which caused her to roll her eyes. She had accepted her fate a long time ago, and she wished her mother would too.

She got out of her room, and peeked from her hiding spot behind the wall. Her mother was talking to man, who, dare she said was quite handsome. Scratch that. Very. Handsome. Maya blushed a little, a small smile forming on her lips only to be replaced by the snarl. “There’s noway he would ever fall for me. Besides, why am I speaking of love. That too when I don’t even know him and he most likely is taken” she said to herself.

Nandini liked Rudra, the guy was polite and respectful. Maybe he could be the one for her daughter?

She internally shook her head. Maybe someday, but right now her daughter needed a friend and she was more than confident that Rudra was perfect for that role.

“I could start from today” Rudra said, at the end of the interview. “Great! I’ll show you where you can stay during breaks” Nandini said, and gestured him to follow her.

Rudra looked around, the interior looked like what can only be compared to a fairytale. The ceiling was adorned floral designs and areas of repair were evident. The chandelier in the middle of the room looked at least a century old. He followed Nandini to the stairs. They reminded him of the stories mom used to read to him, before one fateful night when everything changed. He shook his head, now wasn’t the time to dwell on the past.

He had to work, with possibly a very childish person. Rudra knew the princess liked to be secretive, that was mentioned in the job description. Who would apply for such a job? Other than someone who is a very fresh grad and is too trusting for his own good. An employer who doesn’t even want to come in front of her employee? Rishi hadn’t told him this part. “He knew that if he told me this, I would have never allowed him to work here” Rudra thought, a bit annoyed.

A part of Rudra was quite curious. Why was the daughter so secretive? Why did she like to play pranks?

“Here” Nandini said and gestured Rudra towards a room. Some room it was! A Queen sized bed was in the center of the room; there was an oak wood reading table on one side.

The room itself was adorned in a soft blue color, which he found to be very calming to his eyes.

“I could take a nap here during breaks!”Rudra thought and chuckled inwardly.

“I have to say something” Nandini started,breaking Rudra’s trance – he was admiring the works of art on the wall. Whoever had decorated the room had pretty good taste.

“Yes ma’am” Rudra says. “Maya, as in my daughter can be, stubborn. She might hesitate to see you, but rest assured,once she’s comfortable, she’ll come and see you herself. I reckon how odd this sounds and I really appreciate you taking up this offer. I am sincerely sorry for what Rishi went through” Nandini pleaded. Rudra’s heart squeezed. Here she was, a woman his mother’s age pleading that he forgives her. Nandini reminded him of his own mother – kind and sincere. “It’s ok ma’am” Rudra said and softly smiled.

“Thank you, I really appreciate it” Nandini said, before adding “feel free to look around. Maya might be stubborn but I promise she won’t pull any more pranks” she said. She then added, “she’ll talk to you herself. Until then, feel free to acquaint yourself with this place.” “BeforeI go, I’ll give you this” she started and handed him what looked like a map. “I realize how confusing the interior of this house is, and I think this map will be helpful” she added. “Thank you ma’am, I appreciate the help” he said and smiled.

Rudra stared at the map in his hands. Well,this just got more serious. 

Chapter 4, 5 - page 3 

Edited by Tahiti-1 - 4 years ago
Tiiii thumbnail

Chapter 4

Allegedlyn Abandoned Mansion, Central City

Maya closed her laptop, before putting it aside. She smiled remembering all the comments people left on her blog,dedicated to book reviews. Her father wanted her to play an integral part in his company, and she was training herself to do so when he was alive. After he passed away, she decided to get fully involved in his business dealings, as there was no family alive apart from Nandini. To the world, Maya Jaysingh was known as simply known as Maya, the secretive CEO of company known as Jay. Somewhere intrigued, posting statuses and newspaper articles, about the mysteriousCEO. “Is this Jaysingh Group’s new name?” the headline had read. Some thought that a rival group had acquired the group after the death of all family members.Little did they know that it was a woman back from the dead, ready to take on the responsibilities of a company that was still growing.

She looked up in a jolt upon the hearing the door creak, as it broke her trail of thoughts. Her mom came to see her.

“Maya” Nandini said and paused, before saying “there’s a young man downstairs who you should talk to.” Deep in her heart she was kind of excited, if she dared to say. However, she was terrified.What if he runs away when he sees her?  Her mood shifted. Sorrow started to consume her, which slowly turned to anger.

“Mom” Maya started, before saying “you knowhow I feel about this.” “I know my dear. I am not forcing you to meet him today. However, you could talk to him, from the shadows if you must, but please talk to him” Nandini said.

Maya’s heart softened and she replied, in barely a whisper “Ok.”

Truth is Maya was happy, despite those moments when she craved some interaction with another human. For her mom, she could do anything. Granted she let her irritation take over when it came toRishi, but the yearning in her mom’s tone, all because she wanted a happy lifefor Maya was enough to melt her.

However, the boy in question wouldn’t have it so easy. After all, how did she know that he would put up with her stubbornness?

Rudra was walking around, admiring the interior. The building was old and had obvious signs of damage here and there,along with occasional patches of burnt areas. It’s almost as if the whole building wasn’t repaired or fixed after a fire. “Did this building come in contact with a massive fire?” He thought. 

He was walking towards the left wing, which surprisingly looked completely intact. Rudra found himself to be walking towards the library. Well, according to the map in his hands anyway.

“Wow” is all he said upon entering the library. Giant shelves encircled pretty much the entirety of the room, filled with books. The shelves were touching the soft pink dome shaped ceiling. He looked around and stared in awe.

Then he started to walk, and realized every shelf was dedicated to a genre – science fiction to romance. Name it and the shelf will most likely have it.

It looked like a publisher’s dream –shelves filled with books published by his/her company.

“Looks like it won’t be so bad after all”he said and smiled. He walked towards the shelf labeled “classics” and took out“Les Miserables” by Victor Hugo.

Until Miss Stubborn finds him, he’ll b ehere and enjoying the book.

“I see you are enjoying yourself” an unfamiliar voice called out. It wasn’t Ms. Nandini. So, it must be the daughter of her!

Rudra smirked. Nandini had mentioned howMaya likes to be secretive. So, he replied, completely unfazed “I indeed am. Ireckon you must be Maya.”

Maya bit her lip. The guy was clever and she must give him that.

“May I ask where are you speaking from?”Rudra asked.

No way she would back down this easy. So,she said “that’s for me to know and for you to find out.”

Rudra scoffed. So the princess thinks she’s clever. Ok. “Bring it on!” he thought inwardly.

Now Maya asked, “What’s your favorite line from the book?”

“It is your soul I buy from you; I withdraw it from black thoughts and the spirit of perdition, and I give it to God” Rudra said. 

Maya furrowed her eyes and tilted her head,before softly smiling. “Why?” She asked.

“It means there’s hope after one has lost their way. That there’s a chance you’ll find the light after losing yourself in darkness” he responded.

“Ah. I see you actually did your reading well then” she said and grinned. Not that he could see her.

Rudra chuckled, a bit amused and replied,“I always do. I don’t do anything half heartedly.”

“Well, now it’s time for me to ask you a question” Rudra said. Maya nodded her head before saying “ask away.”

“What’s your favorite book” Rudra asked,folding his arms. “Well, there are two. Shesher Kobita by Rabindranath Tagore and Mesnevi by Jalal-ad-din Muhammad Rumi” she said. “Rumi and Rabindranath?Wow. That’s impressive” he said.

From what he heard, it seemed this individual liked to delve deeper into the messages authors crafted, and that to him seemed beautiful.

“Tell me your favorite lines by these authors” he said.

Maya smiled a genuine smile. To the world,she was successful, despite it knowing her actual identity. She single handedly managed to bring back her father’s dormant company back to life and fix the house that had been burnt badly. After the passing of her father and brother, their business had crashed and on top of that their house had to be repaired.Currently, there were still repairs that had to be done.

Maya Jaysingh was able to be strong on her own accord, but Maya Jaysingh didn’t have a friend. Now, it felt like she could probably have one.

“I am not this hair, I am not this skin, I am the soul that lives within” she said. Truly she was what her soul was.

Outside? She looked like a beast.

“The body is a cage” Maya started. “It’s the soul that is the essence of who we are. If the soul isn’t beautiful, the glittery cage cannot hold up” she said. Her cage was hideous, but her soul wasn’t. To Maya that gave her the strength to go on about life, to pick herself up from the rubbles of her former self and build herself anew.

Rudra didn’t know anything about this woman, yet something pulled at his heartstrings. She had been through a lot its eems.

He quickly shook his head before replying“that’s impressive I must say”

Maya grinned, happy that someone appreciated her deep thoughts. Usually mom didn’t really engage in these conversations with her. Her friends online appreciated her book reviews but she never felt like she could truly delve deep like she was doing now.

Strange. It hadn’t been one day since she had known the guy but how come she felt comfortable sharing her thoughts?

Rudra furrowed his eyebrows. The woman had gotten silent.

Suddenly he heard her say “thank you. I appreciate it.”

Huh. So, his reclusive boss appreciates his compliment. He had a smug smile on his lips.

He was about to ask her about Shesher Kobita but then Nandini came in.

Shivi_forever thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Beautiful updates👏

Loved the detailing👏

Mayra's interaction was beautiful❤️

Loved the mystery of Mayra's family & the fire

Waiting for next

Tiiii thumbnail

Originally posted by: katheriene

Beautiful updates👏

Loved the detailing👏

Mayra's interaction was beautiful❤️

Loved the mystery of Mayra's family & the fire

Waiting for next

Thank you for reading! ❤️

Armu4eva thumbnail

Wow. So good. So good🤗

Enjoying very much❤️

Tiiii thumbnail

Originally posted by: Armu4eva

Wow. So good. So good🤗

Enjoying very much❤️

Aww thank you! I was feeling a bit down but this comment made it better! :') 

I am glad you're enjoying it! ❤️

Nikita_99503 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail + 6

Awesome work...  👏

Read all the chapters in one go... And I really loved it ❤️

Waiting for more... 😊

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

Jesus Christ!😲 I feel like a stupid person for missing on this!

I was too lazy so decided to wait for the weekend and it was so amazing that I can't even.❤️

Please update soon

Tiiii thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nikki_srk

Awesome work...  👏

Read all the chapters in one go... And I really loved it ❤️

Waiting for more... 😊

Thank you so much! ❤️☺️