CVs, do better with Devasena - Page 2

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Etna_Dia thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
I concur with your points, but I don't mind her characterization. She is who she is supposed to be in the setting of the story and her world. There were tough times back then. Societies revolved around surviving. If Dravids had such bad laws, it's because they used to work for them. Let's just remember about the Spartan society. They killed the children who were born with health problems. Today this is the ultimate cruelty, but back then they made this rule because having a city with too many people who were not able to fight or work was slowing them down. For a time it worked, only later it didn't... Too much rigidity led to their downfall.

I am reading "Alcibiades" by Plato and there, in one of the dialogues, Alcibiades tells to Socrates that there is nothing worse for a man than to be seen as a coward... He would rather lose everything -life, fortune- but courage...

Back in those times, courage and honor were everything... And Devsena's father lost both, there on the battlefield. The Aryan warrior proved more courage than him as he defeated him. The honor was gone as well because, his whole lifetime, he would have had to live knowing that he had to be grateful to his enemy's mercy. It may not make sense to us today, but then this was worse than death for a man. The Dravids condemned him... they had to mark him as an example, so their other soldiers learn to fight to their last breath and not rely on their enemy's mercy. The details like the fact that Devsena's father was unconscious and there wasn't his fault that the Aryan let him live were not important... That's how hard those times were.

Merely, I doubt that they will portray Aryans as being morally superior till the very end. If they present the Aryan Invasion Theory then they must likewise show that once they conquered the land they introduced discrimination in order to establish their authority, especially the one regarding the color of the skin.

Edited by Etna_Dia - 6 years ago
Swetha-Sai thumbnail

Originally posted by: _Payalj_

Agree that devsena is being portrayed in a very negative fashion. But if one looks closely, she is the product of the brutal Dravidian society and as we all know we are a product of our environment.

Devsena since her childhood has known only cruelty. Add to it deception which is considered de riguer by them and we have the unlikable and unadmirable combination standing before us.

Varundev on the other hand has learnt compassion and righteousness from his parents.

In fact what started as the greatest Dravidian strength that is matriarchy, ultimately became their greatest weakness and cause of downfall.

Because in the long run, in order to prove women superior, they ended up stripping them of their core competency and strength that is love, sensitivity and compassion. The effect is visible on their current generations, one of whom is Devsena.

Very well said!
For a change.. would love to see a good ML bringing a change in greyish FL in this tv show!
Majaan thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Devsena is flawed but she is like that. It is not mendatory that two warriors of opposite parties who fall in love with each other should be best in characters specially the FL. Never saw such a Princess with grey shades in india televisin history. Her journey to maturity and realisation of the FLAWS that she and her kingdom  posesses will be great to watch if that happens.
DanmeiLover thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Extremely sorry for the late replies , Saturday Sunday net was down due to BSNL broadband fiasco . N during weekdays I:m mostly busy in work , studies and IPK3 forum .
Thank you every one for your valuable inputs , I've greatly enjoyed reading them, I'll answer them one by one tonight. 
SStephy thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
While I agree that Devsena has a lot to do to better herself but I think the CVs are doing fine with the character. I feel it is okay to see this character make her mistakes and misjudgements and learn from them.

Plus, Hahuma rightly predicted that Avarmudan would be a danger to Devsena. And this is that danger. Having to execute her father by her own hands is an awful act; and such an act is bound to have some negative consequences on her psyche. It's no wonder that she is reacting rashly with the sole purpose of carrying out her vengeance. But yes, at some point later, as the story and situations progress, she needs to see that the root cause was the rule of her kingdom, and being the queen she needs to work on these issues.