Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

GrilledCheese thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 7 years ago
such a wonderful update! you write really well... enjoyed reading it!
thanks for the pm!
sriarshi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
brilliant writing...keep it up๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
tfs...keep writing more on shraman
FangirlForever thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Eeks โค๏ธ
I am waiting for the update :P
khadupam thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Wow
That's adorable fabulous story
Continue soon
evaviego thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
please continue soon ... 
arshiasya thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
just caught up on all of it this is so good update soon please ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
arshiasya thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
just caught up on all of it this is so good update soon please ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
astonm thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Engager 2 Thumbnail + 5
Random post b/c i wanna post the next chapter on the next page, ignore me please :)
astonm thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Engager 2 Thumbnail + 5
Hello everyone! Sorry for the wait, although it's only been one week, I am on a mini vacation right now so I haven't been writing much, sadly. I am already dreading starting school again in September and having to stop writing.

I've been getting a lot of requests to write a cannon-fic on the current plot, so I thought I'd address it here. I only write cannon-fics when I feel like something has been handled horribly by the show and I can see a way that would be "better". I've never felt that way with EDKV, they execute all the tracks so perfectly and way beyond my expectations, anything I write is probably going to end up falling short in that sense, so I am not going to bother with it unless something really bothers me, which probably won't happen. For a minute I thought about writing Suman's accident track and Shravan's redemption, but I was so shocked that they cured Suman so quickly that the plan went right down the drain, that's how it's going to be with this show, the CVs/writers/just everyone is so amazing at telling a poignant story that there is no room for changes!

Anyway, that's my little spiel for today, I'll let you get on with the story, if you read my note this far, thanks! :)

X-X-X-X
Chapter 6 - Oxford, Year 4
September

"Are you sure you have everything you need?" Sumo asked fixing Shravan's white shirt-collar, she had managed to tie his black tie in a perfect Windsor knot, he couldn't do it at all, so she had taken it upon herself to perfect it. She tucked the tie under his coat and buttoned one button and stepped back. Sumo looked at her handiwork with a smile, he looked really good in the suit and white shirt.

"I am going to work, not war Sumo." He laughed, but the nervousness was evident in his voice. "It is only ten minutes away even if I do forget something."

"Nervous?" She asked placing her hands on his chest and looking up at him with a small smile.

"A little." He admitted leaning down and pecking her lips.

"Don't be. You survived Law School at Oxford, with flying colours, and got your first pick for your training, you have nothing to worry about Shravan." She reassured him caressing his face with her right hand and looking into his eyes with a smile. He sighed and nodded. "I love you." She murmured before getting on her tippy-toes and pecking his lips.

"I love you too." He said, a real smile gracing his face for the first time all morning.

"Now, you're going to walk in there like you're the shit, and wow their pants off, not literally though, if women start taking their pants off, call me and I'll cut them." She joked causing him to laugh and nod before he left the house for his first day on the job - professional experience year.

Sumo prayed that his first day went well before grabbing her own bag and heading out the door to her first class of the semester with a smile on her face. They had only been back in Oxford for two weeks and were getting back in the groove as they always had to when they came back from India. This year was a bit more hectic than previous ones because she was starting her MBA, and Shravan was starting to work. Thankfully, he had gotten his first pick and was going to working in Oxford and would come home every day, some of his classmates weren't as lucky and were shipped off to various location all over England.

"You're late!" Riya said handing Sumo her cup of coffee as she passed the caf at the corner of the street across the Ashmolean Museum.

"Hey Sumo." Amelia smiled from beside her, her own cup of coffee in her hand.

"Sorry girls, I was freaking out since it's Shravan's first day today." Sumo smiled.

"You two are way too cute." Riya smiled fondly. "I can't wait until you get married."

"Haha." Sumo said rolling her eyes, Riya was obsessed with them getting married.

"You are almost at the two-year mark Sumo, and you've known each other for a billion years, I am obviously going to get antsy." Riya teased. "Have you told your parents yet?"

"I think they suspect it, but ignorance is bliss." Sumo shrugs. She had a feeling their mothers were catching on, but they seemed to be going by the if we don't ask it doesn't exist mentality, and she was liking it.

"Will they be against it?" Amelia asked confused as they walked down Beaumont Street heading towards Worcester College where their class was.

"They'll be very happy about it actually." Sumo admitted.

"Then why haven't you told them yet?"

"It's just that we live together, and if our parents knew we were dating I am pretty sure they'd have a problem with it, and they'll be hyper-vigilant."

"Why? You two are adults." Amelia said confused.

"You don't know the brown life Amelia!" Riya laughed. "Our culture is a bit different when it comes to dating, it is very uncommon and live-in-relationships are definitely a no-no...you're supposed to pretend sex is not a thing until your wedding night."

Sumo rolled her eyes.

"Awww, wait, so you two are waiting to have sex because you want to get married first?" Amelia asked.

"Seems like it." Sumo murmured. It wasn't that they were particularly waiting to get married but she didn't know how to explain it, it was just that it was a line they didn't let themselves cross - a part of it had to do with the guilt they carried for not telling their parents and another part of it had to do with accidental pregnancies.

Sumo knew that Riya herself had a scare a few months ago despite using protection, things happened, preventative measures were not 100% guaranteed. And Sumo didn't want to put herself in the situation where she would have to choose to have a baby or get rid of it. She didn't know what she would do in a situation like that, so the easiest way was to not put herself there. Plus, she knew that their parents would be really disappointed in them, and she couldn't stand that.

"You don't sound to happy about it." Riya said.

"Well have you seen Shravan?" Amelia giggled causing Sumo to whack her playfully.

"I don't know how they do it." Riya said as they walked into the lecture hall.

"It's hard." Sumo admitted and Riya burst out into giggles waggling her eyebrows, and Sumo glared at her. "You're sooo mature Riya."

[CENTER]X-X-X-X
November

"It's so much work." Shravan whined causing Sumo to smile sympathetically. It was a Friday night and the two of them were just lounging around on the sectional sofa. She was sitting with her back propped against the backrest, her legs out in front of her, and his head was resting in her lap as he lay on the other side.

"Do you want me to scare them to give you less work?" She teased running her hands through his hair like she had been for the past twenty minutes. His hair was so soft and begged to be touched, and he loved it when she played with it, so it was a frequent occurrence. It was calming for the both of them.

"Maybe. You scared the other student pretty well for me." He teased.

"Ain't nobody going to make moves on my man." She said with a laugh.

"She was not making a move."

"She was definitely making a move, trust me, if she got through law school, she definitely knows the answer to all the questions she's asking you." Sumo murmured.

"I love it when you get jealous. Makes me feel loved." He said with a lazy grin.

"Shut up, at least I don't revert into a Neanderthal and punch people."

"That was one time."

"One time more than me Mr. Malhotra."

"Fine, you get this one." He gave in.

"Hmmm." She smiled

"Did you call Naanu?" He asked suddenly remembering that she had mentioned it in the passing this morning.

"Yeah, everyone is doing well." She said. "But Maa was wondering if I'd like to come back during Christmas Holidays..."

"Oh." He said. Sumo had two weeks off since classes were stopped, but Shravan did not since he was working, he had about four days off: Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day that he wanted to spend with her. "What did you tell her?"

"That I'd see." She responded trying to gauge how he was feeling. She was conflicted, on one hand she wanted to go see her family, especially Naanu, and on the other hand she really didn't want to leave him for two weeks, especially during the holidays when all their friends were back home. He'd get really lonely, real fast. Plus, the thought of getting on a plane without him made her really antsy.

"If you want to go, you should. I'll be at work all day on most days anyways." He sighed.

"So you want me to go?" She asked.

"Why would I want to be here without you?" He sighed.

"That's not helping."

"I know, ultimately it's only two weeks...and I know you're worried about Naanu so you should go." He said moving his head in her lap so he could look at her.

"This is going to be hard."

"We survive summer vacation don't we?" He laughed.

"Yeah, but at least then you're only a car ride away." She murmured.

"Do you feel like we're a bit too dependent on each other sometimes?" He asked, speculating if this was normal.

"Yeah. But we've grown up together and we haven't really spent time apart since we've gotten together." She shrugs and he nods.

"I am going to miss you." He murmurs turning his head sideways and burying his head into her soft stomach causing her to let out a giggle.

X-X-X-X
December

"Are you okay beta?" Priya Tiwari asked her daughter as she handed her a hot cup of tea.

"Yep. Thanks Maa." Suman smiled up at her mother taking the cup from her, her mother sat across from her on the couch with her own cup and looked at her daughter speculatively. She had noticed that although Suman was here with them, it sometimes felt like her mind was elsewhere. She was always attached to her phone and there were dark circles under her eye that she couldn't really attribute to jet lag anymore.

"It's too bad Shravan couldn't come back with you." Priya Tiwari said and she didn't miss how her daughter's tired eyes seemed to light up at his name.

"He has work and only gets Christmas and New Year's off." She sighed sadly.

"Hmmm." Priya hummed while she sipped on her tea. "You miss him." She said, it was a statement rather than a question but Sumo nodded.

"He's just always around, so it's weird when he's not." She shrugged trying to play it off.

"A year and a few months and both of you come back right?" Priya asked and Sumo nodded with a smile. "It feels like it's been so long since you've left, you've changed so much, grown so much, and you'll get married in a few years-" Priya smiled at her daughter.

"Why is everyone so interested in weddings all of sudden?" Sumo asked rolling her eyes.

"Sumo, your classmates are either engaged to be married, or looking to get engaged." Priya laughed.

"They are only 22." Sumo groaned.

"To each his own I guess." Priya laughed. "I was only 23 when I married your father."

"That is still too early Maa."

"And when do you plan on getting married?"

"At least after 25."

"So you have decided on an age, is there a man in the picture that I should know about?" Priya teased.

"Maa." Sumo whined.

"I refuse to believe that no one has taken a liking to my daughter. Unless everyone assumes you're with Shravan or something." She said sipping on her tea and looking up at her daughter conspicuously trying to see how she would respond.

"Why would you say that?" Sumo asked.

"Nirmala and I recently discovered that most of our relatives and friends assume that you and Shravan will get married one day." She said, this was true, but she left out the part where Nirmala and her hoped it was true as well.

"Oh." Sumo nodded.

"You're not opposed to the idea?" Priya asked but Sumo just sipped her tea and didn't answer. The room was filled with silence as Sumo sat there wondering what she should say, she wanted to tell her mother, but at the same time she wished that Shravan was here with her so they could tell everyone together, like they planned. "You love him, don't you?" Priya asked with a smile after a few minutes causing Sumo to freeze in her place. She really didn't know what to say to her mother right then, but she didn't want to lie since the topic had come up so she nodded.

"I do love him." She said, her voice a bit above a whisper.

"And does he know that?" Priya asked wondering what the equation between the two of them was, but she was pretty sure that Shravan loved her too.

Sumo nodded. "He knows."

"And, does he love you too?" Priya asked.

"He does." Sumo said with a small smile, and the confidence of her voice and the way her eyes lit up told Priya Tiwari everything she needed to know.

"Hm, so Nirmala and I shouldn't try to convince people that we haven't really thought about the two of you getting married?" She asked with a smile. Sumo shook her head no with a small smile.

"He is it for me." She said causing Priya to tear up a little.

"I think so too." She smiled. "But remember that the two of you aren't married yet...and I know you two are living together but there are lines that shouldn't be crossed Suman."

"Don't worry Mom." Sumo said looking her mother straight in the eyes with a reassuring smile, Priya nodded seeing that she had nothing to worry about.

X-X-X-X
December 31st

Sumo groaned as the bus slowly lurched forward on the highway, which was empty considering it was New Year's Eve. She had caught a last minute flight back when she heard his voice over the phone, he sounded so dejected and she missed him a lot. Her mother had taken one look at her and told her to go after she had hung up with him. The plane ride alone was no fun, again, but she endured it. But the stupid bus was taking forever to get to Oxford and it was annoying, Sumo thought that she would be lucky to get home before the clock struck midnight at this rate.

Sumo forced herself to calm down and closed her eyes, hoping that Shravan was awake when she got home. When she had asked him about his New Year's plan he had said that he planned to watch TV and catch up on sleep, which had made her really sad. She didn't tell him that she was coming back and was hoping to surprise him.

Sumo breathed a sigh of relief when the bus pulled into the bus depot at Gloucester Green, she rushed off the empty bus and headed towards the direction of their house. The streets were empty, with most students still away at home, the only people around seemed to be tourists and families that lived in the city. Sumo rolled her huge suitcase down the cobblestone pathway, it created more noise than the occasional car on the road. She walked quickly, the frigid winter air making her shiver and speed up.

She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw their house, all the lights were off and for a minute she wondered if Shravan was even home, he might have been dragged out by a friend. She hoped for the best and dug in her purse for the house key and opened the door. The house was silent and all the lights were off. She placed her suitcase by the door and locked the door before taking off her jacket and shoes. She walked around the bottom floor and found it empty so she ventured upstairs.

She walked down the hallway and opened the door to his room and found it empty. The bed was perfectly made and he wasn't it. Sumo groaned in disappointment, he went somewhere and her plan to surprise him went down the drain. She had thought that he would rush to the door to see who it was, she had imagined the smile on his face and him lifting her into a hug. Alas, he wasn't home, Sumo figured that Rishi or someone had probably dragged him out.

Sumo sighed and turned towards her room, her feet dragging against the floor, she opened the door and flipped on the light on, barely holding back a gasp. Shravan was laying in her bed, his face buried in her pillow and the comforter covering his legs but exposing his bare upper body. A smile graced her face at the sight, he was fast asleep. She turned the room light off and switched the bathroom light on before throwing her sweater off and quietly grabbing a pair of lounge shorts and an oversized t-shirt from her drawer. She quietly tip-toed to the bathroom and changed into them. She wanted to shower, but figured it would just wake him up, so she washed her face and tied her hair up in a bun before stepping back into the room.

She climbed into bed right beside him and turned sideways so she could look at his face, which was illuminated by the bathroom light she had left on. He was sleeping on his stomach, his face turned towards her and his hair sticking up in ten different directions. There were dark circles under his eyes, and his beard looked like it needed a trim. A feeling of contentment filled her as she stared at him, his body was moving rhythmically with his deep breathing but his face didn't look like it usually did when he was asleep, he looked sad.

Her hand found its way to his face, her fingers first pushing away the hair from his forehead. Her fingers seemed to have a mind of their own as they traced his face, his perfect eyebrows that were neither too thin nor too thick; his nose was straight and angular, yet soft; that space between his eyes and where his beard started was so soft under her fingers; his beard was the opposite, prickly, yet she loved how it felt against her skin when he kissed her; and his lips - she loved his lips, they were so soft and beautiful, especially when they were pulled up in that smile she loved.

She felt him move under her touch and watched as his eyes fluttered open, slowly, and met hers. "Hi." She whispered with a smile. He shook his head and closed his eyes, before opening them again causing her to giggle. His eyes grew wide with shock.

"You're here?" He asked his hand reaching out and touching her cheek, as if he had to touch her to make himself believe that she was really there. A huge smile grew on his face as his hand came in contact with her skin.

"I couldn't leave you to spend New Year's all alone." She replied with a smile.

"Holy shit." He said with a laugh.

"Happy New Year's." She whispered leaning in and pecking his lips.

"Happy New Year's." He smiled back pulling her to him, her hands rested on his bare chest between them, and their noses almost touched with how close they were.

"I was planning on surprising you, and then I got home and found the house quiet and your room empty. What are you doing in here?" She asked curiously.

"This room is easier to sleep in, the pillows and sheets smell like you." He whispered, his hands rubbing up and down her back.

"I missed you." She smiled rubbing her nose against his.

"Oh you have no idea." He whispered before taking her lips with his.

Despite the fact that they had been together for almost two years, her heart always skipped a beat when his lips met hers, and his was no different. Their lips always moved slowly at first, their lips and bodies moving instinctively against the others, his hand splayed on her back and pulled her flush against him, her own hands strayed on his bare chest, her right hand over his heart which fluttered under her touch. His hands found their way underneath her shirt and up the bare skin of her back as the kiss deepened. Her tongue swept against his bottom lip and his lips parted in a quiet groan.

The room was filled with sounds of soft sighs and groans mixed in with occasional giggles and whispers as the fireworks went on outside, but they were oblivious in their own little bubble. They had a lot to catch up on.

X-X-X-X-X
February

"UGHHH!" Sumo let out a frustrated scream slamming her MacBook shut causing Shravan to look at her in surprise from his spot on the couch across from her. Her eyes were closed and she looked so frustrated that Shravan's eyes grew wide.

"What's wrong?" He asked, the worry evident in his voice.

"This stupid paper, I don't know what I am doing, it's due in two days and I can't think or find sources." She said, the frustration was evident in her voice and her face, her eyes watered and her lips quivered. He understood the feeling, sometimes school was so overwhelming that it felt impossible.

Shravan got up from his side of the sofa and grabbed her MacBook from her lap and put it on the coffee table. He sat down beside her and pulled her into his lap, sideways, he was leaning against the back of the sofa and her back was leaning against the arm rest, so he could see her face. He wiped away the few tears that seemed to have escaped from her eyes and she sighed and scooted down a bit in his lap so she could bury her face in the crook of his neck as his hands intertwined with hers, his thumb rubbing soothing circles on the back of her right hand. She took a deep breath, the smell of his perfume mixed with his body wash calming her down.

"I don't know what to do, this is so difficult." She murmured, she was tired of all the work. If she thought undergrad was hard, the MBA program was in a whole another league. She was constantly studying, and working, but it never seemed to be enough, there wasn't enough time in the world.

"I know, but you'll get through it. Just let everything go for a while and then go back to it. Follow what you preach Sumo, you can do this. You're so hard-working and so smart, it is difficult sometimes, but taking a step back before diving in again helps." He murmured placing a kiss atop her head. He felt her sigh against the skin of his neck and smiled a bit as he felt her body relax into him.

"I can't wait until I am done." She murmured finally looking at him.

"Me too." He smiled reassuringly at her.

"Thank you. I needed that." She smiled up at him and pecked his lips.

"You're welcome." He smiled wrapping his arms around her and holding her.

"I don't know what I'd do without you." She murmured, and she didn't. She would have probably gone back home long ago if she had to do all of this alone. He was her support system, much like she was his.

"I am pretty sure we'd both be hot messes." He laughed.

"Probably." She agreed with a smile running her fingers through his soft hair, it was getting kind of long, and it was a lot of fun to run fingers through but Sumo knew he would start complaining about it soon. "You need a haircut." She reminded him.

"I know."

"But not too short!" She warned.

"I think you sufficiently scared the barber last time, he won't cut it that short ever again." Shravan laughed.

"Good." Sumo beamed.

"Want to continue my cooking lessons?" He asked, he wanted to get her mind off school for a while.

"I think teaching you how to cook is more challenging that graduating from Oxford." She said, her voice serious. But the sad look on his face made her burst into giggles. "I am kidding, lets go burn things Shravan Malhotra."

"Hey! I didn't burn the paneer last time."

"The amount of salt in it may have helped to keep it from burning." She teased.

"You're so mean." He pouted.

"I love you." She laughed placing a kiss on his cheek, the put disappeared off his face and turned into a smile as she peppered his face with kisses while giggling.

X-X-X-X-X
March

"YELLOW DIAMONDSSS IN THE LIGHTTT AND WE'RE STANDING SIDEEE BY SIDEE AS YOUR SHADOW CROSSES MINEEE WHAT IT TAKESSS TO COME AALLLIVEEE IT'S THE WAYYY I'M FEEELING I JUST CAN'T DENYYY BUT I'VE GOTTA LET IT GO WE FOUND LOVE IN A HOPELESS PLACEEE WE FOUND LOVE IN A HOPEEELESS PLACEEE!" Sumo literally sang at the top of the lungs over the sound of the vacuum cleaner as Shravan laughed watching her dance around on the carpet. He had a mop in hand and was currently working on mopping the kitchen as Rihanna blared from the speakers.

Sumo had her "cleaning" playlist on today, their friends were coming over for dinner tonight and she had demanded that the house be clean. So they had gotten up at 7:00am and tackled the bottom floor. Everything was dusted and in it's place, the only thing left was mopping and vacuuming the carpet in the living room.

"I love that song." Sumo sighed turning the vacuum off as the song played its last chords.

"Oh thank god it's over, my ears." Shravan teased as she came and stood right in front of him.

"Rude! And you missed a spot!" She said grabbing the mop from him as the next song started. Shravan laughed when she gasped and let out a happy squeal as the first few notes of Thinking Out Loud came on, Sumo loved Ed Sheeran.

He laughed as she started dancing around with the mop singing the song. "When your legs don't work like they used to beforeee and I can't sweep you off of your feet." She looked up at him with a smile as she sang the next part and arched her eyebrow. "Will your mouth still remember the taste of my love, will your eyes still smile from your cheeks."

And, darling, I will be loving you til we're seventyyy. And baby my heart could still fall as hard at 23. And I'm thinking bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways. Maybe just the touch of a hand.

Shravan grabbed the mop from her hand, letting it rest by the fridge, and pulled her towards him, his right hand went to the middle of her back and his left hand clasped her right one and she let out a laugh as her left hand went onto his shoulder.  "If we fall I'll kill you." She warned as they waltzed around the kitchen laughing as Ed Sheeran's voice sang in the background.

Well me I fall in love with you every single dayyy and I just wanna tell you I am. So honey nowww. Take me into your loving armsss. Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars. Place your head on my beating heart.

Sumo giggled as he pulled away and spun her around before pulling her close again. "Your dance moves have improved." She laughed as he pulled her closer and swayed. It was an interesting sight, she had to look up at him and his head was bent down to look at her as they both danced.

"Practice makes perfect." He said pecking her lips.

"Hey! No kissing, only dancing!"

"The song just said kiss me." He said as they did a hybrid waltz of some sort, if you could call it a waltz, they were just swaying and dancing around the kitchen at this point with huge smiles on their faces. And it was perfect.

X-X-X-X
April

Shravan Malhotra stepped into their house after a long day at work and found the house quiet apart from the hum of the TV coming from the living room. He placed his shoes in the rack and hung up his keys before venturing towards the living room.

He smiled when he saw Sumo fast asleep on the sectional, her head resting on the powder blue pillow and a dark grey throw covered her. He grabbed the TV remote and turned the TV off. He knew she was waiting up for him, they hardly saw each other these days apart from when they woke up and went to sleep. He was at work for most of the day and she was caught up in school, presentations and papers. Even though they lived together, he missed her just like she missed him. He missed hanging around the kitchen watching her cook, cuddling on the couch and watching TV, going on walks and trips...just being with her. He was glad that the school/work year was coming to an end soon and allowing them a break they badly needed.

He wanted to push back the tickets they had booked for India from mid-May to June, to have her to himself for a whole week or two at least. He wondered how things would be when they went back this time. Sumo had told her mom about them and then he had a long conversation with his own mother over Skype. They were really happy for them, but he knew that they weren't overly fond of the idea that they lived together, but they also knew there was no point in trying to separate them now and they trusted their children.

He knew for a fact that it wouldn't be long before they brought up marriage and he knew that he didn't want them to be the first to bring it up. He wanted to ask Sumo himself, she deserved better than having their family pester them about it. He thought about it often, proposing, but he didn't know how to go about it. He knew that she would say yes and that they would probably have a long engagement until they were done with school. But he didn't know how he should go about asking her, he just knew that he was going to soon. Calling her his girlfriend didn't seem like enough anymore, she was more than that, had been for a long time.

Shravan ventured upstairs quietly and changed into a pair of sweatpants and grabbed a blanket before venturing downstairs again. He pulled the throw off of Sumo and lay down beside her before pulling the blanket over the two of them and wrapping his arms around her and pulling her into his chest. He smiled when she sighed in her sleep and nuzzled herself closer to him.

X-X-X-X
May

"A vacation before a vacation?" Sumo laughed as the train they were on sped through the English countryside.

"Precisely." Shravan smiled sinking lower in his seat, one of his arms was wrapped around her and she was leaning into him, her head resting on his shoulder as they looked out the window.

"And where are we headed exactly?" She asked, she knew they were headed to Cornwall, but she didn't know exactly which part yet. He had cited that they needed to spend some time together since they barely got to in the past few months due to work and school, and they were on board a train the next morning. They only had a week before they were flying out to India.

"It's a surprise."

"Why is everything always a surprise?" She pouted.

"I like to spoil you once in a while." He teased.

"You're so melodramatic."

"You love it."

"I know. I was just making an observation." She said leaning up and placing a kiss on his jaw, she was too lazy to move, she was perfectly content right where she was. "I wish you could take a train to India." She observed a few minutes later. "It's so much better than airplanes."

"I thought you would get over your aversion after travelling alone in airplanes twice." He said referring to her trip back home in December.

"I was asleep before the plane took off." She reminded him, she had popped sleeping pills and told the flight attendant to wake her up only when they got to the destination.

"How many times have you travelled by plane now?" He asked but already started counting in his head. "11 times." He answered his own question. "Has anything happened?"

She shook her head no but still rolled her eyes. "You could have just agreed with me when I said that trains are better than planes." She mumbled.

-------

Sumo was in love with the little town they were in, St. Ives, Shravan had announced to her. It was a costal town with beautiful beaches looking over the azure Celtic Sea. There were lots of colourful houses and ships around, adding to the picturesque costal life image that the town had. The air had this fresh salty feel, and the weather was perfect, not too hot and not too cold. They were staying in a little house, every window had a perfect view of the water and the beach. The town was really small and cute with little shops and bars littered amongst houses, cobblestone pathways and roads that were narrow and well-travelled by foot, and a charm that was undeniable.

"How did you find this place?" Sumo asked as Shravan came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her from behind, his head resting on top of her head as they stood in front of the large patio doors overlooking the beach and sea.

"Google." Shravan answered. "I didn't expect it to be this nice." He admitted.

"This is perfect." She smiled leaning back into him.

"So what would you like to do today?" He asked.

"Explore and find somewhere to eat." She answered.

"Aye aye captain." He laughed.

------

"Nooo! Don't build up yet, we need a stronger foundation!" Sumo said whacking Shravan's hand away from their sandcastle. They had lounged around on the beach all day and seeing kids make sandcastles had brought back fond memories of rare trips to the beach in childhood. Of course, their sandcastle was already a lot more elaborate than the ones they had seen today. Sumo had bought "sand castle building supplies", buckets and carving tools.

They had a pretty elaborate one-storey sandcastle so far, and Sumo was hitting the sand and trying to make it compact so it would stay, Shravan found her enthusiasm quite adorable as he played the role of, as she called it, the shirtless tanned assistant.

Shravan waited for her to okay the foundation so he could start building the castle higher as she began on the design. "I think we're too old for this." Shravan laughed as a bunch of kids walked past them, their mouths agape at their sandcastle.

"Shhh, you're only as old as you feel Shravan, stop acting like an old man." She chided as he worked on the castle. She got a devious smile on her face suddenly that he missed as he worked on making stairs leading from the balcony of the tower. He had dug out the inside of the tower which had annoyed Sumo but she had given in when he promised to put stairs leading from it.

"AHHH!" Shravan let out a yelp as he felt cold water hit his body. Sumo stood behind him laughing, she had filled up a bucket of water and dumped it over his head.

"Payback is a bitch." She smirked falling next to him, he had thrown her into the water earlier despite her warnings.

Shravan rolled his eyes but his left hand instinctively went to his pocket to check if anything had fallen out even though he hadn't really moved, he rolled his eyes at his paranoia before continuing with the castle beside a giggling Sumo.

In about another half hour, they had constructed the perfect sandcastle, it had only taken them half the day, the sun was setting leaving a nice pink hue in the sky and the beach was half empty and quieter than it had been all day. "Not bad shirtless tanned assistant, not bad at all." She said admiring their work.

"Go get the camera." He said and she nodded before jumping up and running back to where their stuff was near the recliners under the umbrella where they were laying earlier. Shravan smiled and quickly took a box out of his pocket, taking something out, and placing the box it inside the tower he had dug out. It fit perfectly, and he breathed a sigh of relief as Sumo came running back with her camera in hand, already clicking pictures.

"What is that?" She asked when she caught sight of the robin egg blue box inside the tower, her eyes narrowed and she looked at him, but he just shrugged. She fell to her knees in front of the castle and looked at the box closely before looking back up at Shravan who looked back at her innocently. She narrowed her eyes and took the box out of the tower and inspected it, a small smile growing on her face when she realized what it was. She held the box in her hand and looked at Shravan, her eyebrow arched and a smile on her face.

She opened the box and let out a gasp before whacking his arm hard causing him to laugh, the box was empty. She was about to start yelling at him but he pulled her down so she was sitting across from him and she noticed the sun glinting off the ring he was holding between his thumb and index finger. She looked at him expectedly, waiting for him to say something but he just arched his eyebrow at her.

"You better start talking or I am going to hit you again." She murmured and he smiled before clearing his throat dramatically. "Wait! You have to get on one knee!" She said scrambling up and causing him to laugh.

Shravan pulled himself up so they were both standing in front of each other before falling onto one knee and smiling up at her. "Suman Tiwari, you're the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I want you to be a part of my life until the day I die, I want to see your face first thing in the morning and I want to kiss you goodnight every day. Marry me?" He asked looking up at her with a smile.

"Will you please do me the honour of becoming my wife." She corrected and he arched his eyebrow at her in question. "That's what you said in my dream." She said.

"You had a dream about this?" He asked shocked.

"Is that the question you want to ask right now?"

Shravan gave her a sheepish smile. "Sumo, will you please do me the honour of becoming my wife and making me the happiest man alive?" He asked.

"Did you think I was going to say no?" She asked with a laugh, tears were streaming down her cheek.

"So is that a yes?" He asked, confusion and fear evident on his face.

"I always have to spell everything out for you don't I?" She smiled falling to the ground on her knees in front of him. "Yes, of course I'll marry you, Shravan Malhotra." She said holding her left hand out. He let out a euphoric chuckle as he slid the ring onto her ring finger. It was beautiful and delicate, much like her. There was an oval diamond in the middle set into the platinum ring surrounded by bead set diamonds creating a captivating halo effect.

"Did you actually think I was going to say no?" She asked.

"More of a not yet." He admitted.

"I'd have said yes even if you asked a year ago." She smiled pecking his lips.

"That's good to know." He laughed.

"I love you." She said as his fingers traced over the ring that was now on her hand.

"I love you too, so so much." He smiled.

X-X-X-X
June

"You guys can totally get married during your Winter Break!" Preeti said excitedly as they sat on Sumo's bed painting their nails.

"No." Sumo said rolling her eyes with a smile, Preeti was really excited about the ring on Sumo's finger. She had a feeling that Preeti and Riya would be really good friends when they met.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me that you two have been dating for so long." She brought up trying to guilt her sister into agreeing to get married soon.

"No one knew." Sumo pointed out.

"Priya Bua knew! Nirmala Aunty and Bua literally screamed as soon as they saw you at the airport and I stood there like a confused soul." Preeti said.

Sumo smiled thinking back to the day at the airport. Shravan had told her that their parents already knew that he was going to propose, because he had asked Priya if he could propose to her daughter. Sumo remembered the smiles on both Priya and Nirmala's faces when she saw them, they had taken one look at her, and then down at the ring before they started screaming happily and hugging them and each other.

Preeti had stood there confused, trying to figure things out, they didn't click until Shravan wrapped his arm around Sumo and placed a kiss on her head that Preeti's eyes went down to Sumo's left hand and then back up to her eyes, realization finally dawning on her.

"You're always a confused soul." Sumo teased causing Preeti to glare at her. "We're not going to get married until we're back in India for good." She told her.

"So I have to wait another year." Preeti whined and Sumo nodded. "Di, you're living the life." Preeti said after a while.

"Huh?" Sumo asked confused.

"Fell in love with your best friend, moved to another country with him, lived with him, and now you're engaged to him!" She said excitedly causing Sumo to smile, it sounded pretty good. "I can't believe the parents are letting you live together."

"Me too." Sumo admitted, but she figured that they realized it was too late now and that there was no point in not letting them live together. She had noticed the looks from her mother though, like she was trying to figure something out, but she would then nod to herself, as if she had answered her own question.

"I can't believe he whisked you away for a vacation to pop the question." She said dreamily. "He's a romantic, isn't he?"

Sumo smiled and nodded, Shravan was definitely romantic - it wasn't the usual flowers and presents kind of romance - because that wasn't real. He was thoughtful and considerate, he liked giving her cute little surprises, he looked at her and hugged her like she was his world, and he grabbed her and kissed her for no apparent reason all the time. It was the cuddles, the small things he said, and the way he acted that made him what Preeti associated as romantic.

"Did you cry?" Preeti asked.

"I teared up pretty bad when he got down on his knees, but the crying didn't start until hours later when it sank in. It took a whole to realize that he wasn't my boyfriend anymore but my fiancee."

"Haiii, so cuteee!" Preeti sighed wishing she had a best friend that she could fall in love with.

Sumo sighed and nodded wondering how she got so lucky. "Lately, I've been wondering what I did to deserve all of this. Sometimes I am afraid that something will go wrong because everything has been going right for so long. He's so perfect and we're engaged, nothing went wrong, our parents are ecstatic, we're finishing school at Oxford and - everything is just so right that I am afraid something will go wrong."

"Nothing is going to go wrong Suman." Priya Tiwari's voice came from the door of the room, she walked in and sat on the bed in front of her daughter having heard her worried words. "Life isn't like what they show you in movies, with people and things always out to get you. Life tests you in little ways, those breakdowns you have when things get tough, your own health, your family's health, being away from family and the little everyday challenges."

Priya grabbed her daughter's hand between hers and smiled at Sumo before continuing. "I know life seems perfect, but that's because you've always been strong and you fight things as they come. The biggest battle people have is against themselves, finding the energy to get up everyday and working, taking care of your mental health, being kind even when you're having a bad day - that's what normal people struggle with. And I know you've had a fair share of those problems, you were just lucky to find a best friend that was by your side for all of it, someone who loves you just as much as you love him. You know, when your father passed away and we moved here, you were so quiet, you had friends but you never opened up to them, until Shravan, you two clicked from the first day. You fought like crazy, but there was this bond there that was much deeper and more meaningful than any fight you two ever had, you two went to great lengths to apologize to the other, to take care of each other. There was always something there that made Nirmala and I believe that we'd be here today. You two worked hard for this, you waited until you were ready for a relationship, you worked through all the fights to become closer than you've ever been, you deserve this and nothing is going to come take it away from you."

Sumo was in tears by the end of her mom's speech, and she nodded understanding what her mom was trying to say. "Sometimes I look at him, and I am afraid of what's going to happen to me if he's not there Maa." She got out through her tears.

"If it were anyone else I would hesitate to say this, but I know that Shravan is not going to leave your side no matter what. And I know you're thinking about your father right now Suman, he died, unexpectedly, but that doesn't mean the same thing is going to happen to you, beta." She said before kissing her daughter's forehead.

"Ugh, I am so emotional, stupid periods." Sumo said laughing through her tears.

"Shravan bhaiyaa must hate this time of the month." Preeti giggled.

"He's actually very sweet about it, he buys me pads and makes me tea." Sumo said and then blushed when her mother hummed, a sound that meant she was impressed.

"And what else does he do Suman?" Priya teased. "You haven't told me why he's so perfect."

"Maa." Sumo mumbled.

X-X-X-X
July

"Oh, Mrs. Mehra, this is Suman." Nirmala said as soon as Sumo walked into the Malhotra mansion, Sumo's eyes grew wide as she tried to figure out what was going on. There were a bunch of women sitting in the living room including Nirmala and Kamini, and Vandy. She figured that her mother was missing this month's kitty party.

"Suman baby, come here!" Vandy said patting the seat next to her.

"Let me introduce all of you two my future daughter-in-law." Nirmala said as Sumo sat down beside Vandy, Sumo's eyes grew wide at Nirmala's words, they were keeping the engagement on the down-low until the formal function in August, something Nirmala and Priya had insisted on, so the fact that Nirmala was announcing it already piqued her interest.

"They are absolutely smitten with one another, he didn't even wait to propose, we are not telling anyone until the formal engagement - which will be a week after Vandy and Varun's wedding anniversary party!" Nirmala said smiling at Mrs. Mehra, realization dawned on Sumo, Mrs. Mehra was probably trying to hook up her daughter with Shravan or something. Sumo smiled at Mrs. Mehra, who nodded with a forced smile.

"Shravan is sooo in love with her, has been for years. He whisked her away to propose to her, and the ring is sooo beautiful!" Vandy piped up, grabbing Sumo's hand and showing everyone the ring.

"And we're so happy that Suman is going to be our bahu, she's already a part of the family." Kamini said with a smile holding up the platter of cakes and offering it to the guests.

"What was that all about?" Sumo asked when Mrs. Mehra and company walked out of the house a while later.

"She spent the past fifty minutes telling me how perfect her daughter would be for Shravan, and then I told her he was to be engaged to someone else and she had the nerve to tell me that he daughter would be better for him." Nirmala rolled her eyes.

"Every time we would change the topic, she came right back to it." Kamini said rolling her eyes. "Kuch bhi, aivinayee." She huffed.

"You guys are so cute." Sumo said with a laugh.

"I knowww." Vandy smiled as Sumo looked up the stairs wondering where her Qutub Minar was. "Mhmmm." Vandy cleared her throat arching her eyebrows at Sumo as Kamini and Nirmala disappeared into the kitchen. "You're here for party planning, no?" She asked.

"Of course." Sumo nodded.

"To my room!" Vandy said with a grin as Sumo's face faltered. "But I think we may need...pens, they're in Shravan's room." She said and Sumo laughed but nodded before bounding up the stairs. "They're sooo cute!" Vandy squealed as she walked into her own room.

X-X-X-X
August

"Remember when I used to ask you if there was something going on between the two of you, and you used to deny it, I can't believe you lied to your own brother." Pushkar said rolling his eyes at his brother, he was sitting on the sofa in Shravan's room, and Shravan was standing in his closet, in front of the mirror, buttoning his black sherwani.

"I think everyone kind of knew that there was something, but they didn't want to say anything in case it wasn't true, the two of them have always been close." Varun said from beside Pushkar as he typed away on his phone. "I remember when Vandy first saw them she was so sure they were together." 

"Can we stop speculating my relationship status guys?" Shravan groaned.

"We have two years and 5 months of teasing to catch up on Bhaiyaa." Pushkar grinned causing Shravan to roll his eyes as he picked up his comb and tried to fix his hair.

"I can't believe they've been living together for that long too." Varun murmured.

"Can we stop talking about that?" Shravan groaned, he'd had enough of the oh you two lived together followed by a long pause that implied that they were probably sleeping together, which they weren't in that sense. Pushkar laughed at the annoyed look on his brother's face.

"Varun Bhaiyaa, shouldn't you be with Vandy Bhabhi right now?" Shravan asked and watched as Varun's face blanched, he had come up to check on his brothers and had gotten sidetracked. He gave Shravan a sheepish smile before getting up and leaving.

"Should we go?" Shravan asked Pushkar, motioning to the door.

"Haiii, so eager to see his fiancee." Pushkar teased causing Shravan to glare at him. "Jokes apart, I am glad you two are together Bhaiyaa." He smiled.

"Shravan!" Nirmala said walking into his room before Shravan could reply. "Great, you're ready, lets get going, guests are starting to arrive."

--------
Sumo smiled looking around the yard which was beautifully decorated with a stage set up under the huge tree behind the Malhotra Mansion. The guests were almost all here, and her family was scattered around the yard with the Malhotras, everyone had a smile on their face. Ramnath and Naanu were standing to the side talking to some colleagues. Sumo could still remember the happy smile on her Naanu's face when he learnt of the engagement, Shravan and Sumo had told him together, during a riveting game of chess. Naanu had laughed and said he should have understood because Sumo always seemed to cheer for Shravan when playing chess.

"I feel like we're on display at a museum." Shravan said from beside her, they were both seated on the stage, in a big throne-like chair. People would come up to them and congratulate them before being ushered off the stage.

Sumo laughed and looked up at him with a smile. "This is what next summer is going to be like."

"We should totally just get married on the down low." Shravan murmured.

"Our moms will kill us." Sumo laughed.

"You're killing me right now." Shravan groaned and Sumo rolled her eyes, she had noticed as much. She was wearing a pink lehenga with hints of silver and black, with her hair up in an elegant bun, and Shravan's eyes seemed to stray on her a lot longer than was acceptable in a public setting. His hand always found its way to her bare back, and he tried to sneak in kisses which resulted in glares from her because he was messing up her lipsticks.

"You need to keep your hormones in check so we don't scandalize all of Delhi." She said smirking, she was loving this, she was usually the one that drooled over him, which she still was - that black sherwani on him was sinful - but it seemed that he was having a harder time with it than her these days.

Shravan sighed, his eyes going down to her hands, she was playing with her ring finger, rubbing it with her other fingers. Sumo noticed his gaze and sighed. "It feels weird to not be wearing the ring." She smiled, she had taken it off for the ceremony - since they were formally getting engaged today. Shravan smiled grabbing her hand in his and squeezing it. "It'll be back in a few minutes." He smiled.

"You get one too this time!" She smiled.

"I love how you get away with not proposing to me." He teased.

"Oh, so I should have gotten down on one knee and asked you to marry me?"

"I did it, and that's why I got to put a ring on your finger, so it makes sense that you do it too." He pointed out.

"It doesn't work like that."

"Hypocrisy!"

"I would have popped the question if you didn't." She smiled.

"Really? So if I didn't propose until say a year from now, you would have proposed to me?" He laughed.

"Yeah, the boyfriend title was getting old." She smiled.

"And how would you go about proposing?"

"I'd probably just slide the ring onto your finger while you were sleeping." She said. "It's not like you would have said no."

"So I should have just slid the ring onto your finger instead of going through all that trouble."

"I didn't say that, I loved your proposal, but the thing is that I'd be happy with anything as long as you proposed."

"I wish I had known that before, I spent so long figuring out how to make it perfect, and then you messed it up because you started directing it according to your dream." He teased causing her to whack him.

"They never realize that there are people watching them, do they?" Pushkar's voice came from in front of them, Shravan and Sumo looked up to see their families standing in front of them with a smile. They hadn't even realized that they were there.

"Should we carry on with the engagement or is there something you two need to fight over right now?" Preeti teased causing everyone to laugh.

Edited by astonm - 7 years ago
PrincessAshVik thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I am glad I am not unresing this super late๐Ÿ˜†
Okay, so I start with what I wanted to ask you at the end of the last chapter but you answered it before I could, however, I still want to mention it. I was wondering what you will show since it had already been 4 years of studying for Shravan and Sumo's final in her undergrad. I knew from the prev chapters that she will stay back for MBA but was unsure about Shravan and thought they would have to stay apart but that was nice, him working in Oxford๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I Love how you start the chapter with his first day at work and his nervousness and her helping him with the tie and making him laugh๐Ÿ˜ณ That was really sweet and cute!!

I also love how you show them communicating rather than just romancing all the time๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜† I loved their whole conversation when they tease each other about being possessive and jealous. I love how she tells him about going back for the Christmas holidays and he encourages her to go in spite of knowing he will miss her terribly and will be all alone!!

I LOVE the Priya-Suman scene!!! That was so so so well written!! The way Priya just comes to know that she loves him and the way she accepts it and says that he too loves her. That conversation was so beautiful!! My favourite part in the chapter!!

And she gives him a surprise!!! How cute is that!! Flies back earlier for him to spend New Years with him That's so sweet man!!!

I can so understand Sumo's plight with her work!! Man researching and referencing can be๐Ÿฅฑ But he is so understanding and gives her her own advice that she used to give him in the past!!!

The couch part was cute, missing each other in spite of living together due to work and studies. And the fact that he wants to propose to her esp cos he should do it and not the family is so adorable!!

THE PROPOSAL was damn cute!!!! Their banter does not stop at all does it๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜† He does it so well man!! I Love how you have described the place they are in!! Such beautiful writing!!

Preeti teasing her, and her conversation with her mum (which I LOVED again) was really nice and realistic. That is life indeed!!! Her blushing and getting embarrassed at her mom's teasing is so natural!!!

Enjoyed reading the whole Mrs Mehra scene. Lol!! Love the Kamini in this SS "Kuch bhi aevanyi"๐Ÿ˜† And Vandy is such a cutie!!! Teasing Sumo when she knows Sumo wants to meet Shravan!!!

Pushkar's teasing and Shravan sort of upset about how people would assume wrong things just cos they live together was on point.

Loved the whole engagement bit and the banter during it with Pushkar and Preeti's teasing!!! 

All in all, I LOVED this chapter!!!!

I hope you update soon๐Ÿ˜ณ
And will you stop writing completely? I will really miss your work!!!

Thank you so much for all the PMs!!!๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I hope I did not take away your spot๐Ÿ˜ณ

Woah!! My longest comment so far๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Edited by PrincessAshVik - 7 years ago