astonm thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Engager 2 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 7 years ago
Warning: not the usual fluff, angsty because ShraMan are killing me, slowly. 

ShraMan OS: Toxic

Brrr. Brrr. Brrr. BRKKK.

"No, no, no!" Sumo screamed as her car started making funny sound and jerked a few times before coming to a complete halt. "Arghhh!" She let out a loud groan and leaned forward, placing her head on the steering wheel and cursing her wretched fate.

Her car would break down in the middle of a torrential rain storm, in the middle of a dark, emptystreet while she was alone. She thought her day couldn't have gotten any worse, today she had visited many old customers that had withdrawn their orders once they heard about PCT being closed down. And on top of that, her house was a hot mess - people lived and worked there now. If all of that wasn't enough, now her car had broken down. "I should just listen to Preeti and get a new one...not that I can afford it right now." She mumbled to herself and grabbed her bag to search for her cell phone, she found it easily, thankfully. But sadly, luck was not on her side yet again and it was dead.

"ARGHHH!" Sumo screamed grabbing her head, tears threatened to leave her eyes at the frustration and anger she was experiencing. But she held them back and took a deep breath trying to collect herself. "I have two options." She murmured. "Either, I can try and see what is wrong with the car and wait for someone to drive by. Or I can set out on foot and try to find help."

She sighed realizing that both plans were horrible, no one would be out so late during a storm and she knew for a fact that the nearest house was more than two kilometers away. On top of that, she didn't know exactly who or what she would run into on the peripheries of Delhi. But she couldn't stay sitting in the car either, and she knew that there was no way that she would be able to figure out what was wrong with the car. She needed a phone, and with that she took a deep breath and decided that she needed to get moving.

Sumo grabbed her trusty purple umbrella, thanking God that it was in the car, and her purse before throwing the car door open and opening the umbrella. She was accosted by a gust of strong wind and with it the warm rain drops, the wind and rain, although not cold made her shiver. She closed the door behind her and locked the car before setting off on foot in the direction in which she was headed praying that she got home safely and wondering why everything seemed to be going wrong these days.

X-X-X-X

Shravan Malhotra needed space, from his family, from accusations and suggestions. Pushkar's words kept ringing in his mind, that he was a horrible friend and he hated how Pushkar just assumed that he would sabotage her on purpose. Shravan knew himself well enough to know that if he was aware that PCT was on the disputed land, he would have not taken the case, rather he would have made sure that Sumo had a fair warning about the dispute and how it may affect her even though they were fighting.

But alas, he had unintentionally sabotaged the one thing that meant the most to her, and he knew she was hurt. He saw it in her eyes, the disbelief and the pain - he didn't want to see it because it pierced his heart. He had to remind himself that he hated her, that she was the woman who tried to help Nirmala Ahuja and hurt him and his father. But it was so hard to hate her, it felt unnatural, and he knew that he would never be able to accomplish it because she was Sumo. He couldn't get himself to hate her last time, and he couldn't do it now.

Her pain hurt him, and he hated himself for it. The way she had looked at him and murmured that she should have understood that he was behind it made his heart hurt. When she backed away from him, staggering, all he wanted to do was close the distance between them and wrap her up in his arms, to convince her that he didn't mean to do it, that he didn't know. But he could feel his father beside him, and even though his heart screamed at him to end her pain, his brain stopped him. Her pain always pierced his heart, he had realized as much with the Khosla situation - but the Sumo in front of him then made him feel like his heart was breaking into a million pieces.

She left, but her thoughts plagued him. He beat himself up over it wondering how he could have missed that detail - he tried to convince himself that it didn't matter because what he did was right legally. But it felt so wrong. And if that wasn't enough, he kept seeing her and the pain in her eyes, he ached to speak to her but his own guilt and her accusing eyes held him back.

He tried to immerse himself in work but his mind kept straying back to her, the harder he tried to not think about her, the more he seemed to.  He had taken to driving around at night because he couldn't sleep, as soon as he closed his eyes, he saw her, and it wasn't the bubbly Sumo he saw, it was the Sumo that looked at him accusingly and walked away from him.

Shravan sighed and shook his head trying to focus on driving instead, the rain was hitting the windshield hard, and the wipers were frantically moving in an arc. He could hear his tires moving through the accumulating puddles of water. This was supposed to be calming, but it never seemed to clear his head. A nagging voice was always at the back of his mind telling him that he was still running from himself.

Shravan ran his hand through his hair, and closed his eyes for a quick second. His heart jumped in his chest when he opened his eyes and he swerved the car hard to avoid the car that was parked in the middle of the street. He managed to avoid hitting it, barely. "f**kkk." He murmured as his heart seemed to settle back down into his chest.

A few things clicked into place in a matter of seconds, the car definitely belonged to Sumo. He could already guess that it had probably broken down in the middle of the road and let out a groan, he knew that she was attached to her car but it was unsafe. He felt the anger well up in him just as quickly as he had pieced the puzzle together, and he wondered what she was doing all the way out here so late. She had lived in Delhi for longer than he had, and she of all people should know how unsafe it could be at times, another memory hit him, her insistence that he drop her off at the bus stop in the middle of the night.

He wanted to just leave, he could easily move his car and pretend that he hadn't seen her - that is what his brain yelled at him to do, but before he even processed what he was doing, he was throwing his door open. The rain drenched him completely within seconds, but he didn't care, his feet moved towards her car and his heart sank when he realized that there was no one in the car.

A million thoughts ran through his mind, at first they were irrational - like someone may have taken her if she got out of the car - and as he had time to process things he realized that maybe she had called someone to pick her up, she wasn't stupid. But he wondered who she would have called, and a fleeting thought in his mind yelled that it should have been him - he knew she would have called him if it was a few weeks ago. He wondered if she had called Pushkar but he didn't want to call and check.

He walked back to his car and got in before closing the door behind him, a shiver ran through his body as the cool air of the fan hit his wet clothes.  He turned the fans away from him and put his car in drive again, lurching forward just as fast as he was before, his mind once again plagued with thoughts of Sumo.

He came to a screeching halt only a few minutes later, despite the darkness and the rain, he could recognize the purple umbrella anywhere. She was slowly walking down the street, the umbrella in her hand, he doubted it did much to help her though. He saw her jump when he hit the brakes on the car, he was out of the car and walking towards her when she turned around. A strong gust of wind turned her umbrella inside out and it flew from her hands, he noticed how her eyes grew wide, and her body tensed. He wanted to laugh at her reaction, he was the least dangerous person she could run into.

X-X-X-X

Suman Tiwari didn't know if she should be happy or angry, no matter where she went he always seemed to end up there. What were the chances that he would be driving around here at this time? He was marching towards her, fully drenched, his perfectly coiffed hair was plastered to his forehead and his jaw was clenched.

"Do you have any semblance of safety?" He snapped once he was within hearing distance. She felt her body tense up again, this was the first time she was hearing his voice since that day, and he sounded just as angry again.

She didn't say anything to him but turned back around into the direction she was heading and started walking again, she had nothing to say to him anymore.

"Where are you going?" He asked from beside her grabbing her hand to hold her back. Sumo turned around and pulled her hand out of his hold roughly, glaring at him, taking him aback. That was a reaction he had never gotten from her, he was so used to touching her that he didn't even think about it.

"Leave me alone." She said, her voice was even and quiet, but still alarmingly angry.

"If I did you'd be found left for dead in the middle of this street somewhere." He snapped back.

"Why do you care?" She asked looking up at him, she cursed her heart for the way it jumped when she looked at him, and she wanted to cry because no matter what he did she still loved him.

He had no answer, of course he cared, no matter what happened between them he still cared for her, always would but he couldn't tell her that.

"I'll drop you home."

"I don't need help from strangers." She answered looking up at him again, his breath hitched for two reasons, the first being her words and the second being the way the raindrops seemed to cling to the skin of her face and her eyelashes.

"I am a stranger?" He asked, stepping closer, before he could stop himself.

"You're worse than a stranger." She answered, she could feel tears streaming down her face, they were too warm to be raindrops. She didn't want to waste anymore tears on him, but she couldn't help it. He felt his heart clench at her words, and his mind screamed at him to tell her that he didn't do it on purpose but the words wouldn't come out of his mouth.

"I was your friend once." He said stepping even closer to her so they were almost touching and peering down at her, he was invading her space without even being conscious of it.

"I wish you weren't." She answered, she was never the one to back down. "It would have hurt less."

"You hurt me too." He said.

"I didn't know it was a competition. And Shravan Malhotra, I wasn't trying to purposely sabotage my friend."

The accusation hurt, a lot, because he didn't do it intentionally. But he knew that she wasn't ready to listen to him yet, she believed that he did it on purpose, and the way things had happened had set him up with the perfect motive. He still wished that he hadn't said those words those day, he knew that she still believed that he couldn't do that to her until she remembered his words. There was so much he wanted to say but he couldn't, so he chose to say nothing.

She wanted to look away from him and start walking, but she couldn't, his eyes were locked onto hers and she couldn't look away, he always had a strong hold on her, and that hadn't changed. She was glad that the rain was falling as hard as it was, he couldn't see her tears that way. She looked at his face carefully, and noticed the dark circles under his eyes, he looked like he hadn't slept for a few days. She wondered what he was doing out here this late. His eyes seemed to be screaming at her, floating with what she could only label regret, she wondered what he actually regretted.

"So that's it for us then?" He asked, his voice almost a whisper among the pitter-patter of the rain.

"It doesn't matter what we say or do, we always assume the worst of the other and end up hurting each other. We're toxic for each other, and I think it'd be best for the both of us if we remained strangers." She said, she wanted to laugh at the irony, a few days ago she wanted to tell him that she was in love with him, and now she was suggesting that they remain strangers.

He felt an immense pressure in his chest, like his heart was being pulled in ten different directions, these weren't just the words of a friend, but the words of the girl he loved, the girl he had loved for years. He wondered if they could ever be strangers, if they could ignore the other person when they saw each other - even when they didn't talk to the other, their eyes spoke.

"Let me drop you home, for Nanu's sake." He said, his voice suddenly detached and unemotional.

"You shouldn't have a problem leaving me stranded in the middle of the road again."

"As the friend you hurt, I didn't. But as someone who Nanu trusts, I do. Get in the car, please."

Sumo sighed and considered her options, as much as she didn't want to get in the car with him, she knew her options were limited and he was right, it was dangerous to be out here. So she sucked it up and stepped away from him. He got the hint and turned around walking towards his car and she followed him, grudgingly wondering why she always ended up running into him. She opened the passenger door with an ease and comfort that reminded her of all the others times she had sat in this very car, next to the man she loved, next to her best-friend.

They didn't say a word as he got into the driver's seat and put the car in drive. She shivered as the cool air of the AC hit her, realizing that she was soaked for the first time. She didn't say anything, but he turned the AC down without looking at her once. His mind was running a mile a minute, the smell of her perfume lingered in the car, the rain bringing it out and he knew that it would linger for days, as if he needed another reason to think about her.

They were hyper-aware of the other as always, but they didn't say anything. Both their minds went back to the time they were sitting in this very car, following Googlo, and laughing. He missed bickering with her, he wished she would yell at him, scream at him, be angry with him - anything other than being a stranger. He wondered how much PCT had really meant to her, he knew she loved it, but he didn't understand how much it meant to her until Pushkar had said it. This wasn't the Sumo he knew, the Sumo he knew would yell and scream, at least the old Sumo would have. And for the first time, Shravan thought that maybe she had actually grown in the ten years they were apart, ten years was a long time. She wasn't the old Sumo, but a part of him was still the old Shravan, the one that seemed to be stuck in a moment of time where he was betrayed.

He pulled up in the familiar Tiwari Villa driveway in no time due to the empty roads and the rain that had eased up a little. He put the car in park, and finally spoke, "I didn't know PCT was on the land, I didn't mean to do it." He murmured.

"I didn't mean to hurt you either, both times." She answered, her voice cold, she threw the door open and got out of the car, not looking back at him even once, she didn't want him to see her tears. He watched as she disappeared inside the house, closing the door behind her, leaving him sitting in the car. Both times. A few things clicked for him, and he suddenly realized how horrible it felt to be held accountable for something that you didn't mean to do. He had walked away from her then, and she had walked away from him now. Life had come a full circle, and he was standing at a place he hated.

X-X-X-X

A/N: I am getting a lot of messages from people asking me to write on KRPKAB, I don't watch it, I will probably never watch it. I am highly selective with the things I choose to get obsessed with, and from what I've heard about KPPKAB it really doesn't seem like my kind of show! I thought I'd clear this up here rather than answering all the PMs and scattered comments.

Also, do let me know what you think of this! I don't usually write angst because I am so senti that I literally got teary eyed imagining this, and I'll probably be continuing the angst in my head hahahaha. 

Edited by astonm - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vishakha2092 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Take a bow girl!!!!
Another brilliant piece of writing Anjali!!!...
👏
Loved it!!!...
Their angst!!...ufff
And the last part was brilliant where she walked away 
Keep writing girl!!
You rock !!
Edited by Vishakha2092 - 7 years ago
jazmeen thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Awwwn it was sad one loved it Edited by jazmeen - 7 years ago
orion23 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Firstly I'm so sorry for unressing so late!
To be honest I forgot

But I'm glad I came back and read this!
What a marvelous piece!
Loved it!
How I wish they had actually done something like this on the show!
It would have been 

The guilt and angst was very well portrayed 👏
Way to go girl!
Edited by orion23 - 7 years ago
shinegirl100 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
cheers for u... it was amazing...  the feeling were described amazingly by you... i loved it... *claps * *claps*... u r an amazing writer... the way u write is just beyond words girl...
with loadss of love
-anupriya
indranigupta thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Anjali... super
Loved it to the core
You have got a way with words
This is the best I have read
You deserve a special jhappi😳
sapphire3 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3