Tewari & Sons, 23, Chandni Chowk - THREAD III - Page 82

Posted: 8 years ago
Waiting 

Actually all this wait for the updates actually adds to the charm of the story! Reminds me of the IPK days when we used to wait for episodes 😊

ab control nahin hota yaar..
btw am not waiting for Kushi- Poonam face off at Thumpa's Annaprashan as Radhika always surprises with something different..may be this time she will surprise us with the face off..!!!!! donn know...
Guys, I am so sorry. The other day I just got distracted and lazy, but yesterday I had a legit work deadline. But I am just back from work and I have pretty much cleaned the piece, barring proofreading it. I intend to do that and post tonight. But first, dinner needs to be prepared and other such mundane domestic chores. Be back in a bit. Really ðŸ˜³
Originally posted by YellowBoots

Guys, I am so sorry. The other day I just got distracted and lazy, but yesterday I had a legit work deadline. But I am just back from work and I have pretty much cleaned the piece, barring proofreading it. I intend to do that and post tonight. But first, dinner needs to be prepared and other such mundane domestic chores. Be back in a bit. Really ðŸ˜³

Excited :-)  

Have a nice dinner..we will wait ..
Originally posted by YellowBoots

Radhika, excited for today's update. ðŸ˜Š

Chapter 18: The Tell-Tale Heart

"NK Bhaii, you are unusually quiet today," Arjoon said, as he looked up from his laptop for a bit.

They were at his home in Vasant Kunj. He was as always running behind on a writing deadline and was trying to get the column out of the way. The column this week was on his favourite subject - the state of the INP, specifically the challenges the party was facing post the election debacle. He had interviewed a cross-section of people for this story, including his former to-be-sister-in-law Payal. He knew that Payal's perspective was integral to the story, but he was unsure after what had gone down between her and Arnav if she would humour him with a few soundbites. He had tentatively called her to fix an appointment and she had sounded cheerful and agreed immediately for an interview. The interview went well, Payal had the rare mix of candour and yet exhibit enough diplomacy that a politician demanded. She looked well, happy almost. She asked him about Thumpa and he about her father's health. They even managed to joke about Arnav and Anjali and the Raizada gene. When he returned home after the interview, he found Arnav and Anjali home. Anjali immediately demanded that she be told every detail about his meeting with Payal. Arnav did not look upset or anything close to that, but he did excuse himself right then and left. He understood it. Payal might have wanted the relationship to end as much as Arnav had, but still it was Arnav who had broken it off. And therefore the guilt was all his and the power was all with Payal. He had only sympathy for Arnav as a result. He knew that his brother-in-law was mostly a stand up guy, who might have made a few mistakes, but was also excessively hard on himself. And so it was not surprising that he had taken the Payal fiasco as his cross to bear as well. He wished that Arnav could forgive himself, this instance at least.

"Nothing like that. Just thinking of.. stuff," NK finally said. NK had arrived home a few hours ago, he had some work to finish as well. There was some maintenance work going on at Raizada Designs, so they were working out of home. Arnav and Poonam Raizada had gone to Ahmedabad for a day on some work. So NK decided to work out of his house. Anjali had gone  to a friend's house to spend the day with her, she had taken Thumpa along, so the house was way too quiet for his liking. Which is why he had welcomed the idea of his chatty brother-in-law coming home, but he too seemed altogether too pensive. Clearly something was afoot.

"What kind of stuff," he prodded, getting up and getting a couple of beers for them. He handed over one to NK.

"Beer? It is already time to start drinking? It is barely two in the afternoon," NK said incredulously.

"Who are you? And what have you done with NK Bhaii?" he said, placing the beer next to NK and walking back to his makeshift workstation, a duvet on the floor.

"I know, right? You know how everyone is terrified of Chachi, but honestly the most scary woman in this family is Anjali Di, I would never welcome her wrath," NK said, pretending like he was shivering.

He had laughed at this. NK was not completely off the mark here. His wife was a force to reckon with. She was of course a perfectly nice and friendly sort of person, but there was a streak of obsession that she had, which sometimes made her stubborn and not the easiest to wish away. The obsessiveness was a Raizada trait, he had concluded over the last couple of years.

"True that. But I am sure she will forgive one beer in such warm weather," he said as he tried to reassure NK.

"Hmm. Fine," NK said and almost reluctantly opened the beer can.

"NK, can you tell me what is going on? I am beginning to worry now? Are you alright?" he asked, this time actually closing his laptop.

"I am fine.. I mean you will probably think I am obsessing.. but.. never mind," NK rambled on, not particularly coherently.

"Seriously, NK, out with it now," he had said, his patience really running out.

"Okay.. look.. I am not criticising Anjali Di. I think she is awesome and I love her.. but.."NK said, floundering for words.

"But why has she invited Khushi for Thumpa's Annaprashan," he finished off NK's sentence from him.

"Yeah, exactly. Phew! Aren't you weirded out? How much of a say did you have on this matter? Did she take your permission?" NK asked.

He shrugged in response. Honestly he had no say in this. Not that he minded. The annaprashan was his mother's idea, the guest list was Anjali's. When Anjali mentioned she wanted to invite Khushi, he had baulked at it.

"Are you sure? I mean, your mother will be there? It might get awkward?" he had offered to his wife. But she was sure. They had got motichoor ladoo from her many months ago for a Satayanaryan pooja, now she wanted to invite this woman as a guest and not a sweet-maker. He still did not understand her true intent and desire for this, but he had not argued on that subject. If he had his way, Thumpa would be on baby formula for a while longer.

"NK! Anjali doesn't need my permission to do things," he finally said rather indignantly.

"Arrey jeeju, you know what I mean.. didn't you ask her why Cutie was part of the guest list," NK persisted.

"Cutie, eh? You should be happy? This is unlike you, NK, not approving of an attractive woman in a social gathering," he teased.

"I don't know, Jeeju. I am kind of worried what Poonam Chachi might do. Have you noticed how she is almost nice these days.. even Anand Chacha seems to be less.. absent, you know. Cutie is always going to be the thorn in the Raizadas side," NK said.

"Khushi a thorn? Tsk tsk, NK Bhai," he had laughed.

"Of course she is a beautiful flower.. but I highly doubt Poonam Chachi sees her like that," NK said.

"Hmm. I think it is sweet that you are so concerned about Anand and Poonam Aunty," he had finally said, honestly surprised by the affection that NK evidently felt towards his in-laws.

"To be completely honest. I don't care about them, I am only worried about Arnav," NK admitted looking rather sheepish.

"Ah, like that. You are worried that Arnav will be once again be caught between his mother and his..fr.. Khushi," he asked, as he began to see where NK's discomfort was stemming from. It was heartening that inspite of the pair of them constantly bickering, NK and Arnav did look out for one another.

"Yeah, aren't you? I feel Anjali Di invited Khushi to make a point.. that Arnav will be in an uncomfortable position if Khushi is thrown in the middle of our lives all over again. It is a bit cruel, but kind of tough love, don't you think?" NK asked.

He would not put it past Anjali that she had invited Khushi with the very specific purpose of making Poonam Raizada uncomfortable. Mother and daughter still shared a complicated relationship, though things had thawed considerably between them, but it was far from perfect. Or it was possible that she had no agenda really and the only reason Khushi was invited was to invite everyone to let bygones be and move on with their lives. But he did trust NK's intuition and had to admit that there was potentially an awkward meeting on the cards.

"Maybe she invited Khushi to matchmake her with someone. That is kind of Anjali's thing actually. At any rate more than some kind of evil, conniving plan," he had finally said. It was true, Anjali did in fact like to interfere and matchmake people. Though she had a very poor success rate to show for, but that had hardly proved a deterrent.

"You mean to say she wants Cutie as her Bhabhi? Hmmm," NK said.

"Yeah, something like that. But I don't know for which brother, between you, Aakash and Arnav, the competition is fierce, I say," he added grinning.

"Very funny, jeeju. I am afraid that unlike my brothers I don't have that brooding melancholy that makes me irresistible to women," NK said in a woeful tone.

"I don't think you need to worry, NK Bhai. Anyway, I am not even sure if Khushi will actually come. So all of our speculation might be moot," he said.

"Maybe. But I am kind of excited to see what happens. To see who passes Anjali Di's test, Chachi, Cutie or Arnav?" NK said grinning.

He shook his head in response. Just as he was about to open his laptop again, the doorbell rang and he went to get it. It was too soon for Anjali to return. He wondered who it was. He opened the door and there was HP with two large tiffin carriers.

"Jeejaji, khaana laya hoon," HP said.

He let HP in and NK offered a quizzical look his way. He merely shrugged. This had become a weekly event now, HP coming with dabbas of food that were put inside airtight plastic containers and dumped into the deep freeze. After Thumpa's arrival, to help Anjali, Poonam Raizada had decided to loan HP for a while to them. But Anjali forever suspicious of HP had declined, so this was a compromise solution that had been worked out. Though Anjali complained about just not having enough space in their refrigerator he had to admit that it was not a bad thing. HP might have many qualities that made them all a little uncertain around him, but it had to be conceded that he was an exemplary cook.

"Yaar, HP, chai bana do na," NK yelled hiding the beer can behind the sofa. They grinned at each other as he walked into the room.

"Arnav, why do you look so restless? Your pacing up and down is not going to make the flight take off on time," his mother told him, while they waited at the lounge at Ahmedabad airport. Their flight back to Delhi had been rescheduled three times already. First from six to seven, then to eight thirty and now to ten in the night. His mother was sitting on one of the tables in the lounge working on her laptop. He meanwhile had paced up and down the length of the lounge, a hundred odd times already.

"It is such a small lounge, mom," he said, finally deciding to sit down as more passengers with delayed flights walked into the place.

"What did you expect anyway? It is much better than what passed off as lounge a few years ago. Is this the first time you are travelling to Ahmedabad," his mother asked, taking off her reading glasses and nesting the coffee mug in her hands.

Well, it wasn't.

Some years ago, as a young student, he had travelled to Ahmedabad for an athletic meet. It turned out to be a rather traumatic trip, when the city went into curfew after twin blasts. The athlete village was evacuated and they had all been packed off into a bus to the railway station. Before that he had somehow managed to find a phone to speak with his mother and tell her what had happened. To ensure that rumours were not spread and there was no panic created, the cellphones were not working. At the railway station there were literally tens of thousands of stranded passengers. His mother had got in touch with their local office head, Chaitanya Modi. The man was resourceful and he had not only reached the railway station while the city was in a curfew but he had managed to find Arnav among the sea of humanity. Really commendable considering they had never met in the past. When Arnav was trying to buy himself a book to read from a magazine stall that was surprisingly functional a voice had interrupted him, "Arnav Baba!" He immediately knew it was one of his mother's cronies. Nobody else would call him a baba. Chaitanya seemed baffled that Arnav was looking for reading material while the city was burning. He had been informed that there was a car waiting for him to be driven to Bombay and from thereon take a flight back to Delhi from there. Arnav had left with Chaitanya after getting his magazine. When they were almost out of the station he remembered Khushi, who was the only person he knew who was stuck in the curfew.

"Chaitanya, there is a classmate of mine who is there. Can you wait, I will bring her too," he had asked.

"Is she your friend?" Chaitanya had asked.

He had not understood why that was even a relevant question, but had nodded. They were not friends. Not then at any rate. In fact, their relationship was at the lowest at that point.

"But the car has place only for you.. I mean, some family is going to Bombay on an emergency. They have agreed to take you.. the trains will start going in a few hours," Chaitanya had said.

But Arnav insisted on bringing Khushi along, even as it looked how increasingly impatient Chaitanya was getting. He had run back into the station and spotted Khushi sitting among a group of women. There was no way he could get to her.

"Khushi! Khushi!" he had yelled. Finally she did look in his direction and he gestured her to come to where he was. She had thrown a cold look his way and determinedly turned away, her back to him. In that moment, he was filled with rage towards her. He was already pretty torn about his feelings for her, but had taken it as an affront when he snubbed his attempt at extending an olive branch. He had stormed out even as Chaitanya demanded where his friend was. He had shrugged. On reaching the car he realised that he had left behind his gym bag at the station. Much to the annoyance of Chaitanya yet again, Arnav had gone back to fetch it. Surprisingly nobody had taken his bag and it was lying exactly where he had been sitting, a few feet behind Khushi. He picked his bag and walked past Khushi. This time he was close enough to her to actually speak with her and persuade her to go along with him. She was sitting there hugging her backpack, looking rather forlorn. As he walked past her, she didn't seem to have noticed him. He had walked away. As he drove to Bombay with a very chatty Gujarati family, he was plagued by feelings of guilt of abandoning Khushi. He had felt so ashamed of himself. Hadn't he just a few days ago as part of the opening ceremony of the meet taken a pledge to, "display honour and dignity at all times and to compete in the spirit of fair play". He knew that he had not done any of that. When he finally did get back to Delhi he had spoken to the Alchemy coach, who sounded relieved that  his star ward had returned safe and sound.

"Khushi?" he asked his coach tentatively.

"Woh toh aa jaayegi," the coach had replied.

In hindsight he realised how irresponsible the coach had been with his glib response.

He had hovered around Khushi's department wing the next two days, hoping to see her, but she didn't show up. When he had gone to Joseph's to meet Payal, he had run into Aakash and asked him about Khushi.

"Yes, she is back this morning. In fact, she was asking me if you were back. She apparently looked for you in the station and was worried when she didn't find you," Aakash had said in a tone that clearly expressed his disapproval. Of course, he deserved the disapproval directed at him. He had meant to apologise to Khushi, but they broke for study holidays, followed by exams and Khushi never returned to Alchemy after that.

"You remember this one time in college, I had come to Ahmedabad and there were bomb blasts then," he said to his mother.

"Ah, yes, There used to be one resourceful fellow back then here, he helped you," his mother said, looking at him curiously now.

"Yeah, Chaitanya Modi was his name. He is no longer with AR," he asked, deciding to add sugar in his coffee for a change.

"We fired him," his mother said after a pause.

"Oh. Why? What did he do?" he asked, his curiosity strangely piqued by this irrelevant piece of information.

His mother shrugged saying she didn't remember. He immediately knew that it was untrue. He had no doubt that his mother knew exactly why Chaitanya had been fired. But he didn't press, because it was irrelevant. He looked at his phone again, there was no message from Khushi. He had called her a couple of times and even sent a few messages, but she she had not responded to anything. Somehow this only served to make him anxious and restless. He wished the damn plane would take off and he could be back in Delhi soon.

"Arnav, I am sorry," his mother said, even as he continued to hyperventilate internally.

"What? Sorry for what? What do you mean, mom?" he asked, genuinely perplexed at the sudden apology thrown his way.

"I know how important it was to you.. your sport.. me and your dad never really supported you much. Actually I was worse for I actively dissuaded you from competing.. especially after this Ahmedabad episode, hadn't I?" his mother phrased it as a question, but it was a rhetoric comment.

It was true, his parents never supported his sports, though the intrinsic privilege he was born into meant that no expense was spared either on his training or buying him expensive fitness gear. It was a bit of a dichotomy actually. But his mother had particularly taken a dislike for his involvement in sports, especially during college. It was probably not a coincidence that his mother's resentment of his sports coincided with the entry of Khushi into the Raizada House. His mother's active disapproval of sports began before the Ahmedabad incident, in fact it began right after the time he returned really unwell after a two-week camp at Barh. That trip was with Khushi too. By the time Khushi left Alchemy, he too stopped competing in sports. His coach had been upset. Though he did some of it because of his mother's insistence, but some of it also came from a place of repressed guilt.

"It is okay, mom. I had a good run. Not like it was my life calling," he said and as he spoke the words he realised it was true. He wasn't forced to give up his dreams. Sports was an interesting hobby and a good outlet to spend time and energy. He enjoyed it, but that was all there was to it.

"Hmm. By the way, while on this subject, we have decided to revive the Alchemy Sports Endowment.. but this time in the name of your Daadaji," his mother said.

"What! How? I mean why suddenly," he asked.

"Well, it was a.. mistake to have stopped that. But the past is the past.. I thought I will revive it. You will be the managing trustee from our side," his mother said.

"Oh," was all he managed to say then.

How strange that their family was reviving its association with Alchemy exactly when Khushi was doing the same. What was this connection between him and her, he wondered. He also had to wonder if somehow this would effect Khushi. What if his mother wielded her power and had Khushi removed as the coach. His mother had mellowed over the last few years, but in some ways she was still an enigma and it was hard to determine what motivated her and what could set her off. Just as he wondering if he should tell his mother about Khushi there flight was announced. 

They were settling inside the flight when his phone rang. He got up and took the phone out of his pocket, it was Khushi. He looked at his mother on the seat next to him, she was looking out of the window watching the luggage being loaded.

"Hey"

"Sorry, Arnav.. mujhe Ankita ko lekar ek competition ke liye Faridabad jaana pada. Phone ghar mein chodh diya galti se. Sab theekh toh hai?"

"Yeah, all okay. I was worried.. anyway did Ankita win anything?"

"No, she didn't. Why were you worried, kal rat ko hi toh baat huyi thi.."

"Yeah, I guess. In the flight now, I will talk to you when I am back in Delhi?"

"Sure. By the way, I spoke with Aman, kal mil rahi hoon use se."

"Great. Bye, Khushi."

He hung up and switched off the phone as the flight stewardess threw a pointed look his way. He had to admit, silly as it was he was relieved to have finally spoken with her. From someone with whom he had not been in touch with a few months ago, it had become impossible for him now to survive a day without speaking to her, without exchanging mundane notes about each other's day. He rubbed his temples with his fingers, willing his mind to think of something else.

"All okay," his mother's voice made him look at her. She seemed to have settled down comfortably on her seat, and had a stack of magazines that she had placed on the tray in front of her.

"Yeah.. all okay. That was.. Khushi.. you remember Khushi, right?" he said, unsure what had led him to offer this piece of information to his mother.

"Of course. Not going to forget her in a hurry, am I?" his mother said in a wry tone.

"Mom.. she is not.. I mean, she is joining Alchemy as a coach.. not that it matters to you.. but.." he said, not feeling very articulate in that moment.

"I know she is joining as the coach of Alchemy."

Of all the responses that he expected from his mother, this was not the one he thought she would come up with. His mother knew about Khushi's Alchemy offer? Had she for some reason engineered it?

"What are you saying mom? How did you know about it?" he asked. 

"I was in Alchemy the other day, the Principal mentioned it to me. Apparently Minu Sabharwal had recommended her name, she is on the college board," his mother said, her tone sounded casual.

Minu Aunty had recommended Khushi? He had not met Minu Aunty in years, though he used to be very fond of his former best friend's mother. But why would she recommend Khushi's name? For Aman? Did Aman really have feelings for Khushi? And had he now pushed Khushi towards Aman as well, for altogether different reasons. He wished the flight would land already, air travel made him sick enough as it is and all these thoughts were not helping.

"Are you okay? You seem very out of sorts, Arnav," his mother asked him concernedly.

"I am fine, mom. Just tired," he said as he signalled the flight stewardess to get him a bottle of water.

"Don't worry, everything will be okay. Maybe a short nap will help," she said, patting his arm and then placing a pillow behind his head.

It was a strangely intimate moment between mother and son. For that is not how they relationship normally was. Even when there was concern, it was sanitised, cold even. But maybe suspended thirty thousand feet above sea level helps you let your guard down, to just be mother and not wife, business woman, warrior. As he drifted into wonderland, his dreams were full of strange and uncomfortable images of a past that never really would go away.

"You are late," she pointed to him as soon as he came closer. It was obvious, but she felt the need to point it out. She was meeting Aman at Karim's the famous eatery near Jama Masjid. The place was considered legend as far as Mughalai food was concerned and people thronged the place in hordes. She had suggested that Aman meet her there and had taken it as a personal insult when he claimed he did not even know about this place.

"Well, you live next door, I had to drive all the way from Vasant Vihar. Time to lagega.. acha ghoor kyun rahi ho. Sorry, I had a ton to do in office, par Dhanno ne bulaya toh sab chodh chaadh ke aa gaya," he said winking at her. In response she scowled at him. She gestured one of the boys who found the tiniest two-seater table for them. As they sat down, a sudden thought entered Khushi's mind.

"Aman, are you a vegetarian?" she asked. If he was, this was literally the worst place to be. Why hadn't she thought of asking him this? 

"Only on mangalvaar. Today is Friday, I am open to eating any of God's creations," he said.

"Why are you a vegetarian on Tuesdays?" she asked.

"Achi biwi mil jaaye, isliye," he said, a very serious look on his face. That was the most annoying and frustrating thing about Aman, it was hard to tell when he was being serious and when he was being glib. She also remembered her non-date with Arnav then and now she threw a suspicious look at Aman.

"Did Arnav tell you anything? Have you been speaking with him?" she asked.

"And here I thought you asked me out on a date because you had feelings for me. Yeh toh puranam trick hua, best dost ke through asli bandey ko patao," he said, looking hurt now. Mock-hurt, she presumed.

"First of all, this is not a date," she said in what she hoped was a firm tone.

"And?" he egged on.

"That is all," she said.

"You said first of all.. toh maine socha poora list hoga," he said, this time looking thoughtful, serious almost.

She had wanted to tell him that she knew that he and Arnav were no longer best dost, but checked herself in the last minute. Was he depressed? He seemed normal enough, as she heard him offer some politically incorrect comments about a family that was sitting on the next table. This was the Aman that she remembered from New-Ons, funny anecdotes, glib comments and who saw humour in everything. But she also knew that it was a facade back then and perhaps Arnav was right in reading that it was a facade now. 

She had spoken to Arnav a while back, just as she was leaving to meet Aman. What was she expected to ask Aman? Or was she not supposed to ask him anything, but just be there as a friend. Should she ask him any uncomfortable questions? Exactly why was she meeting Aman? She hoped that Arnav would help her, after all it was his idea. He picked up the phone after a long time and sounded friendly enough. She was relieved. When he had spoken to her the day before, while he was in an aircraft he sounded a little agitated. He had been like that the pervious day too when he called her as he was heading to Ahmedabad. It was partly her fault. When he mentioned that he was going to Ahmedabad, she asked him if he remembered when they were stuck in a curfewed city many years ago. Without meaning to, she had opened the floodgates to another of their past unpleasantness, which all these years had been locked to be never revisited. She did not believe in glossing over things or being in denial, but sometimes it was best to move on and not cling on the past hurts. She knew that her stray comment was what had made him agitated. But was glad when he sounded his usual calm self now.

"Are you at work?"

"Nope. Got home early today for a change."

"Good. You are working very hard lately. I worry that you are taking on more than you can handle."

"Really?"

He had sounded amused and she mentally kicked herself for that comment. It was a very intimate expression of casual concern that may or may not be disconcerting for him, but to her it was. 

"I mean.. that is not... anyway, what should I tell Aman?"

"What?"

"I am meeting him for dinner today.. you said I should speak with him. it was not easy to persuade him to meet me..kaafi nakhre kiye usne. I had to literally beg him to come, tab jaaakar maaana. So I am not sure if he wants to share his innermost feelings with me."

"Oh, I got to go now, something has come up. I am sure you will do fine. He probably needs someone like you."

"Matlab?"

"Matlab he needs a friend, Khushi."

He hung up after that. He had sounded a little weary by the end of the conversation. She wondered what changed during the course of their conversation, because he had sounded cheerful and relaxed enough at the beginning. And he had told her that he was back home from work, so what work suddenly came up. It was probably something that she had said which set him off. But what? Sometimes she didn't understand him. He was so moody.

"So what is good here?" Aman interrupted her thoughts by waving the menu at her face.

"I don't eat mutton, but people say that the dishes are very good," she said looking at the menu, "We should order Brain Curry."

"Can we go to Pizza Hut or something, instead?"Aman said, looking alarmed.

"Oh, don't be such a South Delhi Boy," she said in her best disapproving tone.

"I thought you liked South Delhi boys. Or is that only one particular South Delhi boy?" he asked, a sly smile on his face.

She did not understand Aman, how he went from being incommunicado over years and then return after all these years still the same. Picking up conversations where they had been left, like the time gap didn't happen. He was now back to being the same Aman, who sat next to her during an entire academic year and mostly annoyed her. She put her thoughts on hold and decided to order. Aman she realised was squeamish about a lot of foods and they had to almost get the reluctant waiter to explain to them how it was prepared. Finally they ordered stuff based on much deliberation. Khushi rolled her eyes. Would Arnav be this fussy, she wondered? Probably not. Wait. Why was she thinking about Arnav now?

"So, what prompted you to want to go on a date with me. I mean, I am thrilled, but how did you find me charming suddenly?"

"Aman!"

"No, really, tell me."

"I don't believe you have never heard of Karim's. When are you going back to London?" she asked and immediately realised that it probably sounded very rude.

"You want me to leave? That is sad. I think I will be in Delhi for the foreseeable future. I am now involved in the family business and increasingly it is becoming difficult to get out of it," he said.

"Oh. Like Arnav," she said and as an afterthought added, "And Aakash."

"Not like them for sure," he said, but did not elaborate. Before she could ask him what he meant by that, he asked her, "Arnav or Aakash, whom do you like better?"

"Silly question."

"Silly answer chalega. I won't judge."

"They are both my friends."

"You are so boring, Dhanno, ek toh choose kar. I won't tell them," he whispered conspirationally.

"You are funny. Our food is here," she said, almost relieved that it was here.

Over the food, which Aman conceded was excellent, they spoke about this and that. He teased her about a number of things and she tried to be as good-humoured about it as possible. She knew that the more she reacted, the more fodder it would give him to troll her.

"So, what is the real reason you wanted to meet me," Aman said as they waited for the kheer and gulab jamun to arrive.

"Just to catch up.. we haven't properly caught up since you came back," she said.

"Hmm, really? Nobody put you on to this? Arnav, maybe?" he asked, looking straight into her eyes and she was forced to maintain eye-contact with him lest she appear as nervous.

"Who will? You are strange," she said, not liking to lie, "You don't hangout with the people from New-Ons, do you?"

"No. I don't think they want to hang out with me. They all are nervous around me, like I will jump off from a building any moment. It is tough to meet that much of judgement, you know," he said, probably for the first being completely sombre that evening.

"I don't think anyone will judge you.. is judging you. You should meet Arnav, I think he feels.. guilty. Not that he has told me anything.. but the two of you should.. I am sorry it is not my place to say anything," she said, hastily putting the piping hot gulab jamuns into her mouth and burning her tongue. But it was an effective way of self-censorship.

"Just because you didn't want to share the gulab jamuns with me, you burnt your tongue? Very bad, Dhanno," Aman said as he watched her try to cool down her mouth by downing many glasses of water.

They paid and inspite of Aman's protests that she should pay for dinner she insisted that they split the bill. When they got out of the restaurant, the area was crowded. It was time for prayers and the devotees were thronging the Jama Masjid.

"I have never been to the Jama Masjid," Aman said, as they stood there watching the crowds.

"We can't go today. It will be..it is very crowded. Some other time, maybe?" she said, walking away allowing for people to walk into the restaurant.

"Maybe. Dhanno, can I drop you home," he asked her.

"No. I can walk down. Wise bhi your car is too big for my gully," she said smiling.

"Car ka kya hai, dil bada hona chahiye," he said.

"That made no sense actually," she said, wondering if she should wave at him or shake hands.

He made the decision for her, by pulling her into a hug, that caught her by surprise.

"Thanks, Khushi, this was fun," he said and just like that, somewhere in the sea of humanity, he disappeared.

Later, as she got ready to sleep, she thought of calling Arnav. But it was a bit late to be calling, so she texted him instead.

Hi, met Aman.

Arnav called back immediately.

"Where did you guys meet?"

"At Karim's."

"Ah. Anjali Di and Jeeju's favourite. We often go there."

"Aman is very South Delhi, he had a tough time to get used to the place. But I think he liked the food."

"He is not. he might have pretended that way to annoy you.. that is a more plausible explanation."

"Oh. Why would he do that? He does not like me much, does he?"

"Either that. Or that he likes you a bit too much. I suspect the latter. So he is okay?"

"Yes, he seems fine.. like he always was back in New Ons. I don't think he has changed. That is why he looks so young even now.. it is like he is stuck in a time warp."

"Or that the rest of us have aged more than necessary."

"Yeah."

"Have you met Minu Aunty.. Aman's mother?"

"No.. why would I meet her? Not like our families move within the same kind of social circle."

"Hmm. Okay."

"But why do you ask?"

"No reason.."

Though she found his question about Aman's mother to be very out of the blue, she did not probe further.

"Arnav, you sound a little distracted. Earlier too. Are you mad at me about something?"

"What.. why would I.. okay listen I am getting another call.. it is from Aman. Can I put you on hold."

Before she could say yes, she was put on hold. She waited for a minute. Then two. Then five. And then hung up. Why come between friends, she thought.

"Bhaiya, chai bana doon," HP asked, in a surprisingly friendly tone.

Arnav threw a suspicious look his way. HP was an excellent housekeeper, loyal to the family, a bit too much at times, but all his loyalty was only directed at his didi, his mother. Dad, Anjali Di and he normally got only thinly veiled passive aggression. So it was a bit strange to have HP wait over him and actually proactively check on him.

"Haan, pee loonga," he managed to say. Not because he really wanted chai, but just to get HP out of the room. He was always a tad unnerving. HP walked out of Arnav's room and almost right then Aaaksh walked in.

"Aakash Bhaiya, chai peeoge," HP repeated the question to his cousin. Aakash, who was considerably taller than HP looked over his head in the direction of Arnav asking him a question. Arnav shrugged. Aakash said thank you to the chai too, probably for the exact reason that Arnav had.

"What is up with HP? Kind of friendly of him, don't you think," Aakash asked, sitting on a chair next to him. Arnav was sitting on his bed, on which he had spread many designs for their new collection due to launch in a month. Because of his role in AR he had honestly not been able to give as much time as he would have liked to his own business, but the last couple of days he had decided to ignore AR and focus only on his upcoming show. He was surprised to see his cousin come home. He wondered if there was some fresh trouble at work.

"Is everything okay," he asked putting his laptop aside.

"No.. I mean, all well. How is that you are not coming to AR the last couple of days? All okay? Maami said that you were exhausted," Aakash said.

Ah, so his mother was responsible for this. Her sudden concern for him was still a little disconcerting to him.

"Oh, I am alright. I don't know why mom is going on about exhaustion. But if I don't get an assistant soon, things will be tough. Did you need to speak to me something specific?" he asked his cousin curiously.

Aakash got up now and paced the length of the room. Arnav watched his cousin and thought this did not bode well. So uncomfortable subject was on the cards. What could it be? Mihir Gupta? Probably not. There could be nothing possibly uncomfortable there. Probably another Gupta. That must be it.

"Aakash what is it? Something about Khushi?"

"Khushi? No. What about her?"

"No, it does look like you want to say something awkward, so I figured it was Khushi," he said grinning, admittedly enjoying his cousin's discomfort.

"Not Khushi. By the way, you do know that Anjali di has invited her for Thumpa's annaprashan, right?"

"Yes. Did she tell you."

"No, NK did. He seems both excited and worried about this."

"Of course. Who else?"

"But Arnav, isn't it.. a little awkward to invite Khushi?"

"It was Di's idea, not mine, I promise. This one I did not engineer."

"No, of course not.. that is not what I meant.. But I just wish.. anyway it is not important."

"You just wish that Raizadas will leave your friend alone?"

"Not like that, but surely nothing good can come out of this."

"Perhaps. Maybe she won't show up, so there is nothing to worry about then. Or maybe this is needed so that we can all move on?"

"I guess. Why is HP taking so long with the chai?" Aakash had just about uttered the words when HP walked in with a tray with two cups. Arnav indicated him to leave it is his work desk. He did so and left.

"HP makes pretty good tea" Arnav said a while later and Aakash nodded, "So what did you want to tell me."

"Yeah, okay.. it is a bit awkward. I mean it is very awkward. It is terrible," Aakash fumbled.

"Dude, you are now freaking me out for real. What is the matter? Please tell me," he said.

"It is about.. Payal," Aakash finally managed to say.

Payal? Of all the possible things, this was the most surprising one. He did not expect to have a discussion about Payal with Aakash. Was she alright, he wondered.

"Is she okay," he asked.

"Yes, she is fine. She is busy with INP, I think she enjoys being the boss of everyone," Aakash said smiling.

Of course, she would. He was happy for her. Honestly. If it was the Payal he knew a year back, he would have had no doubt that she was more than capable of taking care of herself. But the last few months had changed her. And she almost seemed fallible sometimes. So it was good to know that she had put their relationship behind and moved on, at any rate was in the right direction. But then, what about Payal?

"That is good. So what did you want to tell me then?"

"Well, yes. It is just that Payal and I.. I mean me and Payal have.." Aakash fumbled for the right words.

"The two of you are together now?" he asked, suddenly it all falling into place. So this was why his cousin was feeling so awkward about broaching the subject. It was going to be a bit weird for the family initially, but certainly not something that they could not get past. He had suspected some feelings between the two, but had not expected them to act upon it. He was happy that Payal had moved on, even if it seemed a tad quickly. No, that was wrong of him. He was just happy for Payal. And Aakash. 

"No, no. We are not together or anything.."

"Okay. Then?" he said trying very hard not to let the impatience show in his voice.

"I like Payal. But I shouldn't have done what I did. It was wrong. I mean.." Aakash continued to search for the right words. And fail.

Then it dawned on him what his cousin was finding so uncomfortable to say. 

"When did it happen?"

"Uh.. the night Baig Sir was hospitalised. Arnav listen.. this was such a dick move.. I am really sorry."

"It is okay, Aakash. Thanks for telling me."

"Umm.. okay. You are not mad? You should be."

"Yeah, maybe. Anyway I need to finish this work, I am way behind already. I will see you at Thumpa's annaprashnam romorrow."

"Uh.. I was thinking maybe I should not."

"Don't be silly. Come. God knows what drama will ensue. Surely you don't want to miss that," he said wryly.

Aakash nodded and left the room. He waited for Aakash's footsteps to die, then picked up his car keys and headed out. He needed to clear his head.

He drove around aimlessly for a few minutes. He couldn't name that feeling in his head. Hurt? Anger?  Sadness? Or just that feeling of abject loneliness. Aakash and Payal. Now it all made sense. Payal's change over the last few months, Aakash's thawing towards him. It also explained why Payal took his decision to call off the wedding so well. But it did hurt that she could not tell him the truth. He had always admired Payal to be unabashedly honest and this duplicity hurt him even more than the infidelity. He had always been told by every single person how ill matched they were as a couple, but still it was hard to get past this. The infidelity also brought forth his own parents marriage. Perhaps he was headed the same path.

It was not until much later he realised that for some reason he seemed to be determinedly headed in the direction of Chandni Chowk.

As soon as Khushi approached her home she knew that they had visitors. Who could be, she wondered. She placed a tiffin carrier containing sample of all the mithais of Tewari & Sons for Shyam Bhaiya outside the door. She removed her slippers and placed them next to it. And then proceeded to wash her face and feet at the wash basin outside. Madhumati Bau was staying with them and she was very particular about having a cleansing routine before entering the house. Her own Maa and Baba did not care about this kind of thing, but Bua had some strong opinions. It was a small price to pay to keep someone happy and Khushi did not feel the need to revolt against it. She then picked up the tiffin carrier and entered the house.

"Bhaiya, aapke liye mithai la.." she stopped midway when she saw her family sitting there with Shekhawat, who offered her a smile when she walked in.

"Aao bitiya, aap hi ka intezaar kar rahein the," Shekhawat said, getting up and walking towards her. She involuntarily found herself walking backwards at this. She spotted Renu Bhabhi at the far end of the room and threw a questioning look her way, but she looked away. This exchange was not lost on Shekhawat who sent an almost menacing look her way as she now reached the wall. He then patted her head and let his hand slide her back, she had to physically push him away. If anyone else noticed that something was wrong, they didn't say anything.

"Champion, Shekhawat Sir bol rahe hain ki humaari dukaan mein woh paise lagayenge. Usko aur bada kar denge. Waise bhi agle mahine se college ki naukri hai tumhaari, toh dukaan main aur tumhaare bhaiya sambhal lenge. Kyun, Shyam?" Baba said turning his attention to his son.

Shyam looked at her and nodded. 

Now what new hell was with this? Shekhawat had firmly lodged himself in their lives. First Bhabhi, then her, then Baba's business and now Tewari & Sons. Arnav was right. She had let this fester and bubble under for too long and it was all going to blow up in her face. The only silver lining as she saw it was that Baba had for a change referred to the shop as humaari and not tumhaari. It might seem like a trivial thing, but in Khushi's head that was a big step. Maybe, now was as good a time as any other to bring out Shekhawat's truth in front of the family. That was the best way to take away the power from him.

"Baba, yeh nahin ho sakta. Dukaan nahin bechenge. Aur iss aadmi ko bilkul nahin bechenge," she said pointing her finger at Shekhawat, who was sitting in the middle of the room, smiling at her. Her comment doing nothing to wipe away that smile.

"Kya bakwaas ka rahi ho, Khushi," Bua reprimanded her.

"Haan, Bua, Baba, Maa, yeh aadmi koyi acha insaan nahin hai.. bahut hi kameena kisam ka aadmi hai. Main aapko itne din bata na saki lekin yeh.." she tried to find the right words but it was difficult with so many pairs of eyes on her.

"Arrey dekho toh, iss ladki ka phir se koyi naya natak. Shashi, yeh ladki bilkul haath se nikal chuki hai," Bua said.

"Khushi, andar chal. Pata nahi kya bakwaas ka rahi ho," Maa said, grabbing her arm and pulling her inside.

"Garima, nahin. Bitiya ko jo bolna hai, bolne do. Agar Khushi kuch keh rahi hain, toh uski wajah hi hogi. Humein iss par bharosa hain," Baba said.

That opened the floodgates and maybe it was due for weeks, months, years and she let herself go and began bawling. Baba pulled her into a hug, shushing her and encouraging her to speak. In that moment she was not an adult woman, she was a daughter, a child. Perhaps, with a parent one always is. Between sobs, she somewhat incoherently explained the meeting with Shekhawat at Payal's party, his lewd messages, his inappropriate touching, his men following her around. She told everything, except the bit about Renu Bhabhi. For that was not her story to tell.

"Yeh ladki kya bakwaas ka rahi hai," Shekhawat's smile finally wiped away, anger writ large on his face thundered. It looked like he was almost going to physically maul Khushi as he walked towards them. Shyam Bhaiya stopped him and asked him to stay where he was. Shyam Bhaiya spoke softly, but there was a sternness in his voice and even Shekhawat who was not accompanied by any of his usual flunkies seemed a little scared.

"Dekho Shashi, bitiya pata nahi kya kya keh rahi hain.. lagta hain likhne ka shaukh hai isliye kahaniya bana rahi hain," Shekhawat said, back to his smooth, dulcet tones.

"Na. Khushi bitiya jhooth nahin bolti hai. Dil ki bahut saaf hai. Agar yeh keh rahi hain ki aap tharki ho, toh sach hi hoga," Baba said, even as Shyam Bhaiya now pulled away Khushi to the other end of the room, away from Shekhwat's wrath.

"Saboot hai koyi? Message bheje the toh kahan hain. Dikhane ko bolo," Shekhwat said.

"Bitiya, phone dikha do," Baba said.

"Baba, iss phone pe nahin. Doosre phone par aata hai.. woh Arnav ke paas hai," she said.

Baba threw a questioning look her way and Maa looked like she was about to cry.

"Ab yeh Arnav kaun hai? Dekha aise hi kahaaniyaan bana rahi hain. Abhi main chalta hoon. Bitiya ne jo kaha uss se dukh hua, lekin phir bhi nadani hai maaf kar doonga. Dukaan ke baarein mein sochna zaroor," Shekhawat folded his hands and left.

Once Shekhawat left Shyam went and locked the door. They had provided enough fodder for amusement for the neighbours for one day.

"Khushi, itna sab kuch ho raha tha tumhaare saath, bata deti humein," Maa finally said.

"Maaf kar dena, Maa. Socha ki yeh apne aap theekh ho jayega. Waise bhi sab ghar mein itne pareshaan the," she said.

"Khushi, Arnav ko phone laga. Turant," Baba said.

"Kyun?"

"Uss se kaho phone lekar aaye. Complaint toh likhwana padega," Baba said.

Maa and Bua seemed horrified at the idea of a complaint. But Baba was adamant. Khushi picked up her phone to call Arnav.

"Arnav, where are you?"

"I just reached your shop. Where are you?"

"Can you come home now?"

"Sure. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. It is. I think."

Within five minutes Arnav was home. Khushi introduced her parents and brother to him. He seemed surprised and even a little nervous at this. She then made herself small and almost disappear as she watched the men discuss Shekhawat and what could be done. If a formal complaint was a good idea and how they go about it. She did not want to be saved by the men in her life, she was not used to that. And yet, it was good to have unconditional support. Every now and then one needed that. She looked at Arnav, surreptitiously. He looked a little sad. She wondered why he had come to Chandni Chowk? Did he want to discuss about her invitation for his niece's birthday, she wondered. Yes, that had to be it. Should she go? Bizarre and out of the blue as the invitation was, she didn't want to appear rude. At the same time, she was not sure she wanted to ruin a little child's day by causing any unpleasantness at all. But more importantly what would Arnav want? She would let him decide for her. it was that kind of night, when she was just letting the universe decide things for her.

"Aapke liye chai bana doon," she heard Renu Bhabhi ask Arnav.

"Bhabhi, main bana deti hoon chai," she said and exchanged a smile with Arnav as she walked into the kitchen.

"Thanks, Arnav," Khushi said. After making chai for Arnav, she had come back to Tewari & Sons. Maa and Bua were subjecting her to too many questions and she honestly did not have answers to most of them. So she excused herself saying that Faisal Bhaii had to leave early and went back to the shop. When she left, Arnav and Shyam were discussing something seriously.

"For? Showing up at the wrong time yet again?" he asked. They were sitting on the steps outside Tewari & Sons, since Chandni Chowk had been plunged into a power cut.

"Actually for showing up at the right time," she said.

"For once," he said grinning.

"Do you want to eat some mithai?" she asked suddenly remembering that there was a batch of chamchams that she had made.

"If it is jalebis, then no. Anything else is okay," he said.

"I make the best jalebis.. I mean Baba makes the best jalebis, but he has taught me. But no, I have made chamcham. Wait. Anyway, if power doesn't come soon, they will go bad," she said getting the tray of chamchams.

"Why don't you have power back up? This is primitive actually," he said.

"Please. This is Chandni Chowk. Anyway we don't normally have power cut, because we are so close to the Jama Masjid."

"So? Allah ensures that there is continuous power supply?"

"Very funny. I don't know if God is that powerful, but powerful people who follow God can do pretty much anything."

"Bahut hi gehri ho tum, Khushi, very deep."

"Says someone jiske naam mein hi itni gehrayi hai."

"As in?"

"Arnav. It means ocean, no?"

"Ah, okay. By the way your brother.. he seems nice."

"Yeah, I think so too.. but we have been apart for so many years, it is still a little awkward."

"I can imagine. So how do you know for sure he is your brother?"

"Matlab?"

"He left your house when he was eighteen, right? He is back after.. what.. fifteen.. sixteen years, how do you know this guy is the brother?"

"Obviously he is my brother."

"How is it obvious?"

"Okay my life has a lot of drama, but an impersonator for a brother, I don't think so. Besides, we resemble, don't you think?"

"You and Shyam? He is not as cute as you, but yes, there is a resemblance."

She was thrown off by his casual comment and desperately tried to think of something else to talk about. Thankfully it was dark now and she really couldn't see his face. She suddenly remembered that she had forgotten to ask him why he had come here originally.

"Arnav, why did you come? Kuch kaam tha?"

"Not really.. just wanted to chat."

"About?"

"Nothing really. I was kind of feeling.. generally actually."

"Is something bothering you? You looked a little low earlier in the evening?"

"I am that transparent?"

"You are not. You were always mysterious, unreadable."

"Look who is talking."

"I had an excuse, I really didn't fit in with all of you guys. What was your excuse?"

"Sad childhood."

"Really?"

"I know you are rolling your eyes, inside your head though and thinking, poor little rich boy, am I right?"

"No. That is not fair. But I am surprised, yes."

"No, I was kidding. My family was dysfunctional, that is all. I guess I was always introverted that is all actually."

"But introverted and comfortable with it, right? It is not like you wanted to hang out with people?"

"True. Dysfunctional families prepare you better to deal with the world. By the way, your father was amazing today. Not at all like what you imagined his reaction would be. He really loves you. You are lucky."

"Yeah, Baba was amazing. Though I don't know if we can continue living in Chandni Chowk now that we have take on Shekhawat."

For the first time, the enormity of the allegation and the possible backlash hit her. Their lives were not going to be easy for the next couple of months. But they had to get through this somehow. But at least the truth was out now and she could stop this duplicity that had bothered her as much as Shekhawat's attention on her.

"I am sure you will be okay. Now you have a big brother at home. Like literally."

She grinned at him and got up to go inside the shop. It was very dark now and the rest of the shops had turned on the emergency lights and candles. Khushi was pretty sure that their emergency light didn't have any charge, as she waved her arms around trying to find it. Faisal Bhaii had kept a few cardboard boxes and she fumbled and before she knew it she tripped into them collapsed and a plywood board that the carpenters doing the renovation had left behind fell on her. It hurt like heck.

"Khushi, what the hell are you doing?" Arnav came in, using his phone flashlight to spot her. She was sure she was very inelegantly sprawled across the floor for he started laughing as soon as he saw her.

"I think I might have injured my head," she said sitting up.

"Really?" he still looked amused.

But she was not being dramatic, her ears were ringing and she checked her head for bumps with her palm. Nothing seemed amiss, though her head did hurt. 

Arnav's expression changed and he knelt down next to her and put his one arm around her shoulder and with his other hand gently pressed her head, checking for bumps. It was altogether too intimate a moment for her to be unaffected. She wanted to push him away and yet could not. Because she did not want to. 

"I don't think your head has suffered any damage, Khushi," he said finally, his tone very earnest but there was a hint of a smile on his face that she could even see in the dark. He looked even more handsome when he smiled. She felt like a giddy teen in the moment and this annoyed her. Maybe it was because it had been yet another stressful day, or maybe she was just hormonal with her monthly cycle just a few days away, or maybe it was because Arnav's smile had now turned into a bonafide grin which was threatening to turn into laughter that for the second time that evening she burst in tears.

"Khushi, what happened? I am sorry. Are you really hurt?" he said. He looked confused as he put either arms on her shoulder looking alarmed.

"No, I am okay. This is just embarrassing," she said between her sobs.

"What is?" he asked, looking completely beaten, sitting down allowing her head to rest on his shoulder.

"Being clumsy and falling down. I am sorry," she said, though she was not sure why she was saying sorry.

"Khushi, I honestly think that you have had a head injury. You are really being silly. It is okay. Being clumsy is not a crime. And you don't need to say sorry to me. Or anyone. Now you go sit behind the counter, while I go check the emergency light. Okay?" he said. He got up and gave her his hand, she got up and did as she was told. Arnav did find the emergency light but it didn't work. He managed to find a few candles and after they managed to light all six of them, the power came.

Once the lights came on, Khushi sobered up immediately. She wiped her face and wore her best indifferent expression. 

"Arnav, what was the thing that you wanted to speak about."

"Oh, nothing important."

"Still, batao toh."

"Aakash came to meet me today. And he said something strange to me. That apparently he and Payal have a thing.. had a thing."

"Oh."

"Shocking, eh?"

"Well.. yeah.. I mean.."

"Aakash already told you? Of course, you guys are friends."

"I am sorry, Arnav.  But it was not my place to tell you anything about it."

"No.. I mean, of course. Payal should have told me, but she didn't."

Khushi understood then that Arnav was hurt. It was natural. He may have broken off his wedding with Payal for whatever reason, but he probably did care about her. Maybe he still cared about her. They had known each other as children, she was probably his one true love kind of thing. 

"Yeah.. maybe. Do you still love her? No, sorry, don't answer that. That was too intrusive," she said. She sure was embarrassing herself that evening.

"No, I don't love Payal. I mean, I am fond of her as a friend, but there is no love. I don't think there ever was. I don't think I am capable of loving someone very deeply anyway," he said.

"Oh," is all she managed in response. Why did she suddenly feel so deflated?

"Okay, I better go now. If Shady troubles you, call me. I have given my phone number to your brother too," he said, as he headed outside. Something seemed to strike him and he stopped and turned to look at her, "By the way what is he doing these days? Does he have a job?"

"Not really. He is looking for a job. But it is hard to find one for someone who has done odd jobs. He did manage to study something though, he has studied Bachelors in Law and was working with a lawyer in Lucknow," she said.

"Maybe he can work for me. I could do with an assistant. Do you think he will be interested," he asked her.

"You don't need to do so much for us, Arnav. Really," she said.

"Hmm. You don't want him to work with me, do you?"

"Nothing like that. I will speak with him," she said finally. Though Arnav was right, she was not comfortable with the idea of inserting her family once again into the life of the Raizadas.

He nodded and headed out. On the steps was the tray of chamcham that he picked up and brought it back inside.

"I didn't know that Tewari & Sons made Bangali mithai too," he said.

"I thought I will make some for Thumpa's function tomorrow. This was just a trial. Was it nice?" she asked.

"Yeah, it was. So you are coming tomorrow?"

"I shouldn't?"

"You must. I mean, if you want to. You don't need to worry about my mom, Khushi. I am sure she will not say or do anything. And I promise you that I will not not allow the same mistake to happen again, okay?" he said.

"Okay," she said.

Khushi did not come for Thumpa's Annaprashan and the event went off smoothly sans any drama. Needless to say everyone was disappointed with her no-show. Leading the pack of disappointed club was NK, who was upset that the cutest invitee had bailed out. Jun Jeeju was disappointed too, albeit for different reasons. He believed that Khushi not showing up was a victory for Poonam Raizada, never mind that neither ladies were aware that they were engaged in a contest. Anjali Di, he was not sure if she was disappointed or relieved, but she saw Khushi's no-show as evidence that Khushi harboured no romantic feelings for Arnav. Aakash was disappointed because in his new truth serum phase he wanted Khushi and Maami to come face-to-face and give the past a well-deserved burial. It seemed that Aakash was suddenly considering a utopian world where everything could be right and fair.

He, had initially been nervous when he entered the event. Later he had to admit he was disappointed. He got a text from Khushi halfway into the event.

Sorry, Arnav, couldn't make it to Thumpa's annaprashan. Still feeling a little under after last night's knock on head. Please convey my regret to Anjali Di and lots of love to Thumpa.

It was an obvious excuse. She had kept it simple. She did not try and concoct some elaborate lie. Her excuse was plausible, yet likely to be completely untrue. But post all the other guests leaving, as the Khushi no-show theories continued unabated among his family, he had an epiphany that Khushi didn't show up, not became of Poonam Raizada, but because of him. She had probably not wanted to put him in a position where he had to choose between his mother and her. Maybe he was wrong when he said that it was not possible for him to feel and love deeply. 

"What do you think, Thumpa?" he asked as he looked at his gurgling niece sitting on his lap. In response, she attempted to bite off his nose. Literally.

NEXT

Edited by YellowBoots - 8 years ago

Kushi, didn't show up for Tumpa's Annaprasan ðŸ˜• , and put water on all our hopes . NK is such drama queen but he also had valid points. Enjoyed reading Aman - Kushi date at Karim's  ðŸ˜†. What is Aman hiding now?

Wow, Akash is super-fast. May be going to US changed him drastically in some departments 😉. But loved his confession to Arnav. Did Payal ever planned to tell this to Arnav?

Looks like Arnav is certain that infidelity is the root cause of his parents shaky marriage. Please writer ji, I want to read about Anand Raizada ASAP.  

What is reason behind Chaitanya Modi firing? Anything related to Kushi? Finally Shekawat true face is exposed to Kushi family. What will Shekawat do now? How this will affect Arnav-Kushi relationship?.Why is HP being extra polite to Arnav and Akash? As usual my questions list increased by tenfold after reading the update.

Edited by jduke - 8 years ago
Res
I know some twists will bebthere...but I never thought akash and payal? 

Shekawath and arnav and his mom track is good and also I loved nk and jun jeeju Congo...but most highlight of the update is "HP" 

What does Aman needed? But overall ibthink there is a fast pace between arnav and kushi

I had been disappointed and join the club of NK that kushi dint attend thumpa annaprashan
Edited by kethgauthami1 - 8 years ago
res
I am dazed after reading the update but came back to real life LOLing reading your note.. 

This is the best update of this FF  for me bcos I never forgave Arnav for leaving Kushi alone in Ahmedabad station ..I got a closure and officially fell deeply in love with your Arnav..ab woh sirf mera hai ;-)

Akash and Payal did some ahem ahem???????  bahut fast hai yaar..krantikaari ;-)

Aman is an enigma..

I will come back with more comments tomorrow..
Edited by sman - 8 years ago