Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.Prometheus. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 9 years ago
This site is called India-Forums not because its members are indian, but because of the content of this site.  The majority of the forums and discussion that is generated on this forum (more than 90%) is linked to india, be it Bollywood, TV Dramas, Reality Show etc etc, this is the reason why it is called India-Forums.

Regarding inclusivity, unfortunately that is beyond the control of what the Admin of this site can do i believe.  However i do not think the 'India' member representation is skewed towards the minority, for example out of the 20 or so close friends that i have on IF, more than half of them are from india, the rest are from UK, USA, and Europe, so in this care i have more friends from india than anywhere else.

The reason mentioned above is a major reason why it could seem that there are less members from india registered on the forum.  The main reason i joined this site was because UK 9 years ago were 6 or 7 months behind what was showing in india on many of the channels, none of my family or friends were watching the show and i wanted to find out about the shows and happened upon this site, and well the rest is history.  These shows are aired in india, which means those in different countries are always behind in the airing times, hence we log on here to find out what has happened in advance of the show airing in our own country. 

its unfortunate that you feel the indian representation on the forum is diminished, its does not seem like that to me, it could be that those who reside in india are less vocal on the forum than those not in india, but its not like we can force people who are in india to register and start commenting. Furthermore, it is easier for indians who live in india to catch up and keep up to date with their shows through TV and Magazines and other avenues, which those who are not in india are not able to do, therefore come here to find and seek out that information.

Since you have brought up the issue, do you have any ideas to come to a solution for you apparent skewed representation.

Also the comment made above regarding the introduction of hindi  font on the forum, i am sorry to say that would not be a good idea.  Majority of the members of the forum understand and can read and write in english, of which can understand hindi and hindi written in english.  If members start writing in hindi it becomes difficult and exclusive unless majority can understand what they are talking about, it becomes an exclusive thread and excludes others, also it will become difficult to moderate since some of the DT (me included) although we can understand the lingo, we do not understand the hindi written language)

EDIT: I can understand the female over representation on this site.  I have 2 brothers who watch indian shows, i told them of this site and what its about, and before they used to come and download the videos since we were very far behind, i told them once to join the discussion, they looked at me as if i said to them to come shopping with me.  My brothers replied they watch the show as time pass and do not have the need to discuss about fictional people, this is not football that i need to have long analytical discussion. So yeah if there were forums for sports then i think that would increase the male population

PS - I watch indian shows, but i am not indian, nor do i reside in india, i am bengali, i felt like i needed to put that out there amidst all the talk about Indian and NRI an representation
Edited by Artemisia - 9 years ago
.Prometheus. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
edited my post with a few other points.
atominis thumbnail
Thank you Dev for taking it in the right spirit unlike few here.😊
The bias is evident. 

Foreign show sections are on top. Where are sections like Punjabi channel, Mythological sections highlighted on main page?

I tell you, I did not know about many sections that existed on IF just because they were not highlighted. I learnt about them through other members.

We have forums on sports, science ad technology, colleges and education also. But how are they highlighted? And what about moderators there? Who will frequent them if their state is like a veerana?😲

I am not dictating who joins this site. But definitely feel alienated as a person from India here. 

What is wrong if I request to attract more Indians on a site called India Forums?!

You mean it is a site on content from India where people from other countries can access and comment on? 

Atleast make it clear then. Like the site called Bollywhat, which makes it clear that it is made by outsiders and mainly for outsiders and those who are new to Bollywood and Indian cinema. Atleast then on such sites we know why people post the way they do and we don't expect anything there!

The moderators here are either biased or not bothered or give too much leeway to India bashing and racist stereotyping.

I can give countless threads where blatant racism was on in full swing but mods took NO action. Whereas if it is about Pakistan, Bangladesh etc then threads get locked soon!

We had to wait for ages to get a section on EPIC TV which was about Indian history and culture. We still have no section on DD, no section on old shows, no section on news and current affairs. 

I have outlined earlier, I will outline again now and I hope admins take it seriously, or else make it clear if this site is only for other countries to comment on all things Indian!

My humble suggestions:

- Highlight sections on Indian stuff on main page. Punjabi channel, South stuff, Mythological sections etc. Make them readily accessible.

- Please highlight important and interesting Indian personalities, news, festivals, tidbits the way Newsflicks does on social media. Crazy Creatives make festival threads on main page, they can try to focus on bringing interesting stuff from India too. Threads on other countries or their personalities go GA instantly. Why no GA threads on crucial or interesting things from India?
Earlier it was balanced. For eg, I learnt about Paryushan from a GA thread on IF only. So why can't we have more threads like that?

- Please take STRICT action against racism, country bashing and stereotyping. Don't just act when it is about Pakistan or Muslims. Please also act if someone is calling "you Indians are rapists or brainwashed" type things. I can show you threads where even parents of Indians have been abused but mods took NO action despite reports!

Criticism, debates on issues are fine. That is always welcome and all countries have issues. But it is not okay if some people bash country and make gross generalisations.

- Please highlight news and threads on sports also. Focus on channels like MTV, Comedy Central India, sports, technology etc so that even male users and those users who are not just here to discuss serials, stick to the site and find forums worthwhile.

- We need a proper section on news/current affairs/politics/history, which is not only properly moderated but also highlighted suitably on main page.

- Either through social media or otherwise, please promote IF properly in India and attract wider user base. On social media, IF highlights only TV serial stuff. How are more people going to get attracted to it then?

- Bollywood attracts users irrespective of gender. But Bollywood news is not updated promptly here. It should be current, up-to-date.

- Even for TV, please do not just focus on interviews of soap actors. Also give interviews and articles on hosts, nonfiction artistes, producers, directors,filmmakers etc. I would love to see interviews of personalities like Raghu, Rajiv, Cyrus,Nikhil Chinappa, Jose etc.for example.

- Please have more contests and events on India and India related events and things. Whether it is Diwali or Holi or some photography, siggy etc contest. That only helps getting more Indians together and also helps create awareness on all things Indian.

I do not mean to offend anybody. I have nothing against foreigners or NRIs. I just commented on my concerns on a site called India Forums. I would hope for it to be the go-to hub for India, Indians and all things Indian and anyone interested in all things Indian on the web. 
Angel-Jot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: atominis

- Please highlight important and interesting Indian personalities, news, festivals, tidbits the way Newsflicks does on social media. Crazy Creatives make festival threads on main page, they can try to focus on bringing interesting stuff from India too. Threads on other countries or their personalities go GA instantly. Why no GA threads on crucial or interesting things from India?

As the Head of the Crazy Creatives team, it was almost impossible for me to read that and not reply to it. To most of India-Forums, the hard work and long hours that are put into each thread that goes GAed by the team goes unnoticed because it's done behind a locked forum.

To specifically comment on your suggestion, let me list out some facts about the threads that are created by us:

*99.5% of our festival/events threads are Indian. So much so that we most often skip several non-Indian festivals/events in favour of the former.
*We also create discussion threads - that are more often than not, related to India or the Indian society. Case in point -> Her Unknown Affliction.

As for "threads on other countries" going up as GA instantly, that has nothing to do with the CC team. Our threads are done with a pre-set due date for every single thread. A thread is decided a month in advance and it is worked on for that entire month until the GA date. Instant news threads are not our responsibility and neither do we have the man power for that.

However, if you expect the team to solely focus on Indian news, I am going to be straightforward and refuse. That won't be happening. I encourage diversity and promote it so no, there won't be any news/discussion threads ONLY revolving India. We will continue to provide the members of this website with interesting and crucial information from countries around the globe. Welcome to the age of the Internet where global connections and awareness is impossible to avoid. πŸ˜ƒ
atominis thumbnail
Angel Jot

You read my comments after taking off your biased glasses. I will be grateful to you.

Where did I say news and GA topics should only be about India? 😲

STOP putting words in my mouth!

I said it should be more about India and interesting things from India.

I did give example of how I learnt about Paryushan from a GA thread on IF only.

I would like to see more stuff like that.

Your biased style of responding reeks of hostility. Sorry.

Global connections? πŸ˜† Where did I say international things should not be highlighted? I just said I more Indian stuff should also be there.

Did you have GA topics when Saina became world #1? Or Sania currently became world #1?

Did you have any thread on Ambedkar Jayanti? Ambedkar is father of Indian Constitution.

If you are against focus on India then say so. Make it clear. Edited by atominis - 9 years ago
Angel-Jot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: atominis

If you are against focus on India then say so. Make it clear.

Oh, no. You've nailed it. πŸ˜† I'm biased. And I'm against focus on India. Hopefully that's clear enough. πŸ˜ƒ
*Dev.* thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Angel-Jot.

Oh, no. You've nailed it. πŸ˜† I'm biased. And I'm against focus on India. Hopefully that's clear enough. πŸ˜ƒ

Jot, even If you're not biased, and if you're neutral. Still, the straight forwardness in your reply is looking like Defending reply. πŸ˜ƒ
You should understand topic maker's point. But here instead of discussion, we(members) are reading defending replies. And that is looking so bad.
Regarding CC, that I would agree with you. Lots of work is done behind in unseen forums that is not visible to normal members, and its not possible to make thread for every other event as well. Still, CCs do a Lot of work for
I-F. (: Its Internet, and diversity is welcome.
atominis thumbnail

Originally posted by: Angel-Jot.

Your attitude and tone of responses show what you think of a member's concern.

Thank you.

Guess we are just expected to remain silent or leave the site if we have slightest issue.

Very respectful, understanding and approachable DT.😊
Cutiepie_Rani thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
You're welcome about Paryushan! πŸ˜† I had insisted the thread and created it when I was a part of the team.

And actually most festival related threads are related to India.
atominis thumbnail

Originally posted by: Cutiepie Rani

You're welcome about Paryushan! πŸ˜† I had insisted the thread and created it when I was a part of the team.

And actually most festival related threads are related to India.

Thank you. I learnt a lot from it.😊

Why only festivals? We should have interesting threads and news too.

And DT here gave example of affliction thread. Highlighting issues is brilliant. But one could also highlight positive or interesting, curious, less known things too the way Newsflicks does on Twitter and FB.

That just makes forum more interesting and relatable to those interested in India. It serves as good WOM too. I always credit IF, when I talk of Paryushan. Just an example.