Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Disenchanted- thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: custodian75

Rudra is enjoying Aman's marriage and also helping Aman impress his would be wife. What a change.

Shantanu has come knocking.

Yes, Rudra is being a good buddy. And Shantanu is testing the waters.
-Disenchanted- thumbnail

Chapter 9

When Rudra returned to the tent he ran into the general. "Where were you? Paro is waiting," he scolded. The young man informed him about the pizza delivery guy. His senior didn't like this. It certainly was strange but too soon to worry about it. The man might have been honest though Rudra's instincts were against him. "I have a bad feeling against this Sir. I wouldn't mind ignoring this but Paro is with me. I would hate for her to be hurt because of any negligence on my part," he told the general. VK Singh agreed Paro was precious to him too. His junior told him that he was getting his men to find out who the bike belongs to. "Rudra!" Geethanjali's voice floated over the crowd beckoning the duo over. The men agreed to keep this to themselves and proceeded to join their wives for dinner.

After dinner Rudra and Paro decided to take a walk. "Are you sure, you're not tired?" he asked observing her pensive face as she looked at the full moon. She shook her head. "I was just thinking about Bindi. You know when we were small and it was a full moon, she would come over and we sleep on the terrace. It was my parents' tradition. But after they died and we moved to Birpur, I stopped enjoying the moonlight. Then one night I dreamt of their pyre burning for the first time and how the flames consumed their bodies till they were no more. I had woken up crying but didn't want to make any noise and disturb Mamisa or Jeeja. I went to the terrace where my sobs won't bother anyone. I saw Bindi standing on her terrace dancing away. She saw me crying and came over. She told me that she was showing her dance to her grandfather who had died and become a star," she confided. She pointed to two particular stars in the clear sky and continued, "See those two stars. They were supposed to be my parents. It became our new tradition to watch the stars when the moon was full. We used to practise a different dance and come perform for my parents and her grandmother. When they twinkled we used to pretend they were clapping and cheering us."

Rudra interrupted to ask what was her sister Nandini upto. "She never joined us scared that Mamisa will find out and scold us," she answered with a mischievous grin. He smiled at her naivety. This was so innocent compared to the things he was upto in his childhood. Her aunt wouldn't have be been too mad for this. They reached the fountain and sat on its edge unwilling to end the night just yet. "You miss her don't you?" Rudra asked referring to her friend Bindi. She replied that she will always miss her but has been less lonely since meeting Shatabdi. Both girls were much alike in their interests. It suddenly dawned on him, that's why his shy wife was ready to perform with her friend infront of so many people. It was a silent tribute to her friend who was no more. "I'm sorry I didn't save her," he said earnestly. She placed her finger on his lip, he had managed to save her and every other young girl in Birpur. There won't be any more Baraatis from across the border. That was plenty. And he was listening patiently to her when she wants to share. That was more than enough for her. He assured her that he will always listen to her.

Paro huddled close to him as the night got colder. He drapped his arm around her slim frame drawing her closer. "Rudra, why didn't Shatabdi want to marry you?" she asked suddenly. He was stunned by her question, "Paro, you're my wife. You should be upset or even jealous at the idea of me associating with another woman not ask awkward questions like this." She burst out laughing why would she be jealous of any one when it came to him. "Can I tell you a secret? That day at the bus stop when I threw my doll out of the window, I stole your heart. There is no chance for you to fall in love with anyone else. So why would I be jealous," she asked in a playful tone. He couldn't dispute her opinion. That was the last day he smiled. He was walking around like a zombie until she walked back into his life again and breathed life into him again. She brought back love, laughter and peace to his soul. He leaned in to kiss his adorable wife when she placed her hand infront of her mouth. "Rudra, someone might see," she whispered. He drew back realising that any of the 200 families who came to their balcony will notice. "Shatabdi doesn't want to marry anyone from the BSD. We get transfered a lot and have to face fire too freuently. It must have been hard for her to watch her mother waiting anxiously by the phone when her father was away on dangerous missions. She didn't want that life. She wanted a husband who will come home to her every night without fail. Someone who will put her first. You see Paro, when you're a BSD officer, the country comes first. Sometimes your personal life and relationships get ignored," he confessed.

Paro's mind went to her first wedding where she heard the gun fire and bodies flying in the air. She remembered how angry Rudra was about the lives lost and blamed for it. All those soldiers had families waiting for them to come back. She remembered how terrified she was recently, when he was sent for disaster management. This was the life he signed up for. She shuddered. "Are you cold?" he asked wrapping his arms around her. She shook her head. "I'm sure there other eligible young men who are not in BSD. So it shouldn't be hard," she tried to reason. He agreed and told her for Sisodia Sir trusting someone with his only daughter's future is hard. He served on the border where kidnapping, rape and murder was common. Parents consider so many things before getting their daughters married. Since his life was all about the BSD, he doesn't know people who are not a part of it. He reminded her how the general and his wife took so long to accept him as a prospective partner for her after knowing him for years. She remembered how easy it was for the Thakurain to marry her off to someone across the border whom she never knew. And she used to call her Maasa, mother. She shut her eyes in an effort to block the past out. Rudra saw the strain on his wife's face. "Get up Paro. You're tired lets go to our room," he suggested. She opened his eyes and shook her head. It was a beautiful night, she wanted to stay out longer. "Paro, you'll fall sick and I won't let you attend Aman's sangeet," he told her sternly. She laughed and asked if he will lock her in the room. "Have you forgotten, that you married a Jallad, who will do anything to get his way? I'll carry you away from here if you don't get up now" he threatened. She smiled sweetly and raised her hands. It was moments like this when his wife's innocence disarmed him. He put her arms around his neck and carried his bride inside.

The next morning, the Ranavats woke up to Sunheri's squeal, "Maasa! This is gorgeous!" They saw her run out of her mother's room with a green saree in her hand. "Bhabhisa, look what Bapusa got for Maasa, it's so gorgeous," she said showing the saree to the rest of the family. Maithili caressed the design and agreed with her sister-in-law. They saw the matron come in pulling her pallu awkwardly. "Maasa, you must wear this for the puja tomorrow," her daughter-in-law suggested. Her husband smiled bashfully as Dilsher looked on. She was suprised at this request, the puja was for Rudra why in the world should she dress up. But her daughter thought that it was a brilliant idea. Dilsher was surprised at this gesture as his brother never bought his wife anything by himself. Even on festive ocassions, he just gives her money and tells her to buy whatever she wanted for herself and their children. But there was joy on her face on receiving something from him after so many years. So he was glad for them. Maybe his brother was picking up things from his son. He smiled as he remembered how his Rudradev galvanized everyone to get things for his bride. Even Mohini wasn't spared from his orders and if Paro wasn't such a good natured child, there would have been a severe backlash from her. "Looks like your father finally realised how to keep his wife happy," he commented to Samrat, who was standing next to him. His nephew however too shocked to respond this was the saree he wanted to buy for his wife today. How did his mother end up with that?

"What else did he buy for you, Maasa?" Sunheri asked. Her mother replied that buying a saree for her itself was a nice thing to do, she didn't really want anything else. "Not like that Maasa. When Rudra bhaisa buys something for Parvati bhabhi, he buys matching bangles, jhumkas and everything else to wear with the saree. Didn't Bapusa get any jewellery for you?" she asked. Mohini burst out laughing as her husband turned red. She explained to her daughter that when you are newly married, husbands are usually that way, wanting to please their bride in every possible way. But they become fathers, their priority changes and children are the ones who get pampered. She pointed to her eldest son and commented how he used to save money to buy jewellery for Maithili earlier and now spends on trinkets for Shanti instead. Sunheri thought seriously for a minute as she realised it was true. Her father spends more on her than her mother. "Don't worry Maasa. Today after college, I will buy matching bangles for you. Bapusa, give me some money," she asked her father. Danveer pointed out that if she is buying something for her mother, she should use her pocket money. The family burst out laughing. "It's okay Bhaisa. I'll give you money. It's supposed to be a gift from her daughters after all," said Maithili graciously. Mohini was touched. She never thought of her as a daughter, but the girl was more dutiful and deferential than her own children were. "I'll buy everything in the market today, bhabhisa. Then we will see who looks better Shanti's Maasa or my Maasa," said Sunheri as they headed upstairs linking their arms together. Mohini commented on how lucky they were to be blessed with such a sweet wife for Samrat. Dilsher and Danveer agreed observing the duo. "Samrat, when you take Maithili out today, buy her a nice saree. Something like this. Looks like she likes this kind a lot," his mother suggested. Samrat didn't know what to say. He knew Maithili will like this saree. He planned on buying the very same piece for her. He remembered how his father bought sarees in quite a big bag. Surely they had more than one. He wondered of she might have just given it to her daughter-in-law now that things were fine. But what happened to the rest of the sarees? Where did they go?
nik1310 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 3 Thumbnail

Nicely written...u r taking ur time..putting things (relationships) in perspective b4 taking off I suppose. Pace is good. Waiting for the story to unravel...ur way of handling ranawats is different liking it.
custodian75 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Thank god for Rudr's keen mind, he does suspect something fishy. 
Paro is sensing if thakurainsaa's love was superficial. 
Kakusa bought a saree for kakisaa! How lovely. 
What is this saree mystery. 
JJKKL thumbnail
Short and sweet 
This Mohini has changed . For good ?
Paro reminiscing about childhood was really nice 
Was the pizza poisoned ? 
prabha.abha thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Pizza wow I love it but here feel something. Nice update dear. 
tinamehta thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Lot of cliff hangers. Pizza guy, sarees. Waiting for you to tie them all up. Glad that Paro is realizing Mala ain't no saint. Rudra is adorable.
seeta_naips thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Glad that Rudra is on the alert
-Disenchanted- thumbnail

Originally posted by: nik1310

Nicely written...u r taking ur time..putting things (relationships) in perspective b4 taking off I suppose. Pace is good. Waiting for the story to unravel...ur way of handling ranawats is different liking it.

Thank you. Some of the Ranavats make sense to me and others don't. So I write more about them. I'm glad you like it.
-Disenchanted- thumbnail

Originally posted by: custodian75

Thank god for Rudr's keen mind, he does suspect something fishy.

Paro is sensing if thakurainsaa's love was superficial.
Kakusa bought a saree for kakisaa! How lovely.
What is this saree mystery.

Yup, anything out of the ordinary is closely watched by him.
The thakurain's love for her is something I always wondered about especially since she forgot all about Paro when she heard Rudra was getting married.
The saree is the smaller mystery.