Sunday Chronicle: Shilpa Saklani (Kkusum)

Hilarious thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
READ THE PART ON KKUSUM!
   Sunday, May 14, 2006

By Shabab Khan

Shilpa Saklani is currently going places. A flop debut in a forgettable film did nothing to hamper her chances of success because as Ganga of Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, she has become a household name. Also the current track is very Shilpa centric at the moment. Everybody is clued in on what Ganga is up to these days, but read on to get to know her real life counterpart Shilpa.

Q Would you consider Kyunki…. to be the turning point of your career? Is that the reason that you are still a part of it?
Yes, I am what I am today because of Kyunki…. Though I am not the lead I am still known as Ganga. Even though I have played the main lead in both Lavanya and Kkusum  I am better known as Ganga. Apart from that, the work timings suit me just fine—it's the only show where we work from nine am to six pm. This gives me enough time for my hubby and home. I have never been the ambitious kind, so I am happy being a part of a popular show, which suits my schedule too, you see.

Q How do you choose your roles?
Money is important, I want to earn enough not to be a burden on my husband. And yes, I want to be financially stable before I start a family. But, at the same time I like to have time for my social life, so I don't hanker after work which will ask for more time. Yes, I do lose out on some good work in the bargain, but I have no regrets. Right now, I am happy with just Kyunki….

Q Was the opportunity to work with hubby Apurva the incentive behind you taking up Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin?
You bet it was. I simply wanted to be a part of Jassi… because it was the show in which my shonu (Apurva) is a part of. Well, they did offer me several parts whenever they needed a new character in the show but none of them were interesting. I simply loved the part of former lover. Unfortunately, I didn't have many scenes with him.

Q Did working on Nach Baliye bring you closer to Apurva?
To be honest, it tired us more than anything. We were both working on daily soaps and then rehearsing for this show. Four days of the week were dedicated for night rehearsals after our shoots got over. Then be up early morning to report for our shootings. This started telling on our health. Of course it hurt when we were eliminated but I guess it was at the right time—any longer and I would have passed out due to fatigue. I cried for a week after we lost but Apurva would tease me and say "baby at least now you will get your full nights sleep."

Q How was it playing the third Kkusum?
To begin with, it was a little unnerving to take up the project. Nausheen was exceptional as the original Kkusum and Manasi Joshi Roy is a class apart. I was wondering if I could do justice to it, but Balaji was in a tight spot when Manasi left the show. I took it up because it was a popular show and the money was good.

Q In real life, you come across as a very gregarious person, so why have you opted to do only rona-dhona roles?
Where are the frothy roles? I did Lavanya who was a frothy character, but to date it's the serious and traditional Ganga who is remembered. Somehow people don't accept such characters. Now take Kaise Yeh Pyaar Hai for instance, the lead character is a rock star but she wears salwar kameezes.

Q How's marriage treating you?
Touchwood, life's blissful. My hubby is the best. It's been almost two years since we got married. One has to be very lucky to get a husband like Apurva. Of course, we do have our little tiffs but it helps that we are both in the same profession — the understanding is good. I like to pack his ice-box, which contains his lunch and protein shakes. And yes, I do love making the hot rotis for him when I am home.

Q And when are you planning on a baby?
In another 3-4 years. I am still 23, there's time for that.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AcquaDiGio thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Awww Thanks for sharing!!!!
tahmy thumbnail
wht film did she come in does any one know the name
Xx..£uvñëët..xX thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
^ she came in the film Tere Liye with Arjun Punj
umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
great article. I want her back in another show where she is the first and main lead!!
sharna2k6 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Yes, she sure is lucky to have apurva as her husband. luckiest women in tv industry i would say! Edited by sharna2k6 - 16 years ago