ArHi FF! The Cult [Completed] - Page 84

Posted: 10 years ago
Hey RB

I hope you dont find my comment out of place as i have just started with the story and i cudnt wait to reach the last update to tell u that i am already in love with Arnav's character, its good that he is on nicorette πŸ˜› , makes.me love him even more...lol

Ritual killings give me the creeps, but i am up for.it as you are in the driver's seat πŸ˜ƒ

PS: i love Hotch, JJ, Morgan, Garcia, Reid...oh yeah you got the point...

PS2: never mind...i shud get back to the story now...
Oh what a treat these 26 chapters have been, love them to the core.
Everything is so messed up, downright scary, am at the edge of my seat wondering what's going to happen next. I am intrigued and mesmerised.

As of now my brain is a puddle of mess, I don't trust anyone , too many variables pointing in different directions. Here are few of my observations in no particular order

Arnav has seen the signature symbol of high priestess before all this started, but he can't recollect from where. Later he finds it tattooed on Khushi but the original memory of the symbol still evades him.

The second thing that comes to my mind are the zip locked sachets  what's the connection between Khushi and Helen. If the cult was using Helen to get to Vimal then Helen's death looks like the work of the tribe. I could be totally wrong.

Shyam, he is another key player, what are the odds of him being an ex husband of a high priestess and current one to a serving member of the cult. And am still doubtful of his visit to the police station and recognising Ranvir and giving an important lead in the form of Venkat Sahai, may be I am reading too much into the whole co-incidence. Also I find it very strange to believe that people who killed Shyam's cousin didn't know what he looked like?

Khushi is a mystery in herself, it's extremely difficult to judge her intentions. Her initial concern for Arnav was questionable, she drove all night for a total stranger? There is more to it than what meets the eye. How did she know about the attack on Arnav? She kills her best friend in cold blood, rather brutally. Can anyone be so composed if they have done this for the first time, all this doesn't sit well with me.

Why isn't she forthright in her approach and comes clean with the complete truth at once, the little pieces of information that she throws at Arnav and his team creates ambiguity leading to distrust, why would she do that if she openly admits that she is helping them to get at the bottom of this whole mess. She is protecting someone, isn't she? Is it Arnav?

In a strange twisted way, I believe all the happenings are leading to something big, and I have a hunch Arnav is in the centre of it all? I have pondered over and I can't answer why him?? Why is he so important, there has to be something about him. His family members are directly/indirectly related to the tribe / cult. My over active brain suggests that Arnav and Anjali's parents were a part of the tribe,that is the only logical explanation I can come up with. Also a child suffering from insomnia, there has to be a solid reason right? Hmppfff!!!!! I am no good at it, how do you weave such a web?
Your story is seriously interesting. 
So far I've had 3 instances where I've gone 'No way!'
Hope you update and haven't abandoned this story. 
Meanwhile I'll go read your other works as I wait for Khushi to enter the ashram and meet Swami Brahmada. 

My most sincerest apologies for not being here for such a long time. Things are slowing down enough for me to get back to writing and I will.

So see you all here very very soon :=)
i love you are awesome  is sham invole with anjali in this

Chapter 27

Khushi was gone for three weeks now. And I have been away for almost same time. There wasn't any news from her as expected but the cases on my desk still remained unsolved. The association of cult in these killings were obvious by theory but there was no physical link between them. In her absence I decided to treat the cases the way we always do - with forensic evidence and solid leg work. With the imminent threat to city, I was reassigned to a special task force to eliminate the threat. Shukla was looking after the station on my behalf and Keith had taken over the cult cases on the side.

With an area this large, there was no dearth of open cases or the fresh ones that landed on our laps on daily basis. Cult cases moved to back burner but knowing a friend was working on the inside, the burner was always on.

"Welcome back sir ji," Shukla walks in with Arjun on his heels. Shukla looks momentarily flabbergasted when I stand up and return his salute.

"That's Arnav's way of saying he missed you too," Arjun snickers. Keith and Deshmukh come in with cups of tea for everyone and stacks of files.

"Bring me up to speed." I take a long sip of tea and sigh involuntarily. I ignore the looks thrown in my direction and feel happy to be back in my cabin, in my station with my people.

"I am guessing you want to know about the cult case, yeah?" Keith asks and gently pushes another cup of tea in my direction.

"We can deal with the rest later. Tell me what you have been up to for three weeks." I am almost content.

The group exchange looks with each other and after few seconds of weird silent eye conversation, Deshmukh clears his throat.

"Sir, we have been looking at this all wrong. We were looking at forensic evidence and physical evidence but didn't look at the link between current and past victims."

"But we did look at victimology Deshmukh. Baba and Vimal were working with the new Samaj Kalyan Party; Baba was getting into the party with cash and the support he has from his community and Vimal was shelling some serious cash for propaganda."

"That's correct sir. But this pattern goes back to two decades," Keith replies as he walks towards the far end of the room to drag the board. "We have to look at our city and state's political history of the past three decades."

"It's natural for a monastic establishment to associate themselves with a political party. Generally a political party drives its religious afflictions and connotation with these establishment thus borrowing the vote bank indirectly. They work together for improvement of the said community and thus its a mutually beneficial relationship." I am unsure where they are going with this but the thought has crossed my mind.

"That is not the case here sir. SKP didn't get associated with Bhramananda ashram sir. The ashram built SKP from remnants of their association with other political parties, media enterprises and conglomerates." Deshmukh answers. I cannot help but frown. Its practically unknown and unheard of - for a cult working under the guise of a monastic establishment would create a party to operate in forefront.

"Do you have proof for that?" I am curious.

"The proof is in victims sir. The people they chose to kill in that weird and bizarre manner all tell a part of story that's now being played. They weren't simply targets to eliminate political opposition sir. They were hits." Keith chooses to reply.

"What, like contract killing?" That's surprising. I don't buy it.

"Quite possibly sir. But it was more like...good will." Deshmukh says. I look between him and Keith hoping someone would explain it further.

"My mother, Arnav." Arjun interjects. I was hoping it wouldn't come to that but looks like we are talking about it anyway. "My mother was a way to send message to police department that they don't like meddling. It's ironic they chose to kill her the way they did because it was exactly what she was trying to understand. You must understand how police department operated back in the 80s Arnav. More than fifty percent of the force were honest to good people and corruption wasn't this bad. Anyone who tried to investigate the murders came very short of losing their family. The ashram plays the worst possible game possible to man. If you hurt them, they hurt your family. Afflicting psychological pain is the worst sort of punishment for a human being and the guilt associated with the actions which caused their families to die. They couldn't risk it with my mother because I was inaccessible to them because I studied outside the country and she had no other entanglements to speak of. So they made an example out of her. After her death, her research practically died with her."

"Only for Khushi to come in a decade later and pick up where Dr. Suman had left off." I supply.

Arjun nods. He looks tired behind the mask of indifference and the answers he has been looking for are right in front of him. The cost of truth sometimes is a lifetime and sometimes sanity. I should talk to Arjun sometime soon about his mental state and how he has been coping with things unraveling around him.

"Look at this sir," Keith draws my attention to the board where "#5" was written next to photo of a heavy set man in his sixties.

"Who is he?"

"He was killed almost a decade and half ago. He is one of the earliest reported victim of this style of crime; fifth one to be precise. He was owned a real estate company in greater city area and dealt with warehouses and such. One morning he went to salon he usually went for shave and head massage and he never came back. Three days later his body was found in one of the warehouses that was on market. He was dead for two days." Keith explains.

"What about him Keith?"

"Check this out," Keith took few papers and slipped in front of me.

"It looks like a land deal," I reply quickly scanning the pages. "This looks like city corporation report on the bids they received for the land and the internal report on the land in itself." I look at another page and look at Keith. "Why are there two different reports on the land?"

"Because one of them is fraudulent. Our victim number five wanted the land badly and bribed city corporation officials to prepare a report which would make the land unsuitable for human population for decades to come. With a low bid he could easily win the land and use it as a deposit for couple of years later which a new survey would show the land is indeed fit for human living conditions after all."

"It's the oldest trick in the book Keith and in 90s this was most common. What's this got to do with the case?"

"The land in question is where the ashram currently stands." Keith replies.

"And?" I am not convinced yet.

"The victim died even before the bids were officially looked upon. His company was closed two weeks after his death. Second team came in to perform survey at the insistence of some of the other bidders. The report came clean thus bidding amount rose and eventually a new bidder purchased the land. Two months later, work for ashram officially began." Keith finished.

"So, real estate mafia?" I raise an eyebrow. "Keith, this would have been expected of a cult this large with the kind of people associated with it. Even with the information you have gathered, there is no way to link the cult to the death of victim number five."

"There was a witness who saw kidnapping of this victim. There is even a sketch of the person who came in to the salon and forcibly took away the victim." Keith slid a page with a sketch of the said man.

It was Baba.

"You've got to be kidding me." I didn't see that one coming.

"It gets worse." Shukla speaks for the first time. He looks through the file and pulls a slim one out of the lot. "We found some photos of Anjali with some of the main players of the cult." Shukla spreads some photos across the table. They are clearly surveillance photos taken by an honest officer who couldn't prove anything in the end. Next to each photo, Keith places sketches from case files.

"She probably knows about every hit that has happened in the last decade and half. She is seen with people who witnesses have identified as people who were last seen with victim." Everyone's eyes are trained on the photos. There is several moments of silence and I know everyone is waiting for my reaction.

"Get an arrest warrant for Anjali Jha."

R
~Edit~

Whoa.. didn't see this coming! I mean.. we had an inkling that Anjali had something to do with all this - perhaps she was without a choice. But now - I wouldn't be surprised if she turns out to be the mastermind. Or the chief priestess 

Oh - and hope Khushi is okay! 
Edited by vgedin - 10 years ago
😲 😲 😲
arrest...anjali!! Woaah!
Really looking forward to read more... Cant really point out why, but arnav seems to be...umm...the center of it all...his family ie anjali, shyam...khushi all seems to be involved in one way or the other...he is the only one who...he is a threat to the cult, no doubt...but then why anjali is still seeing the ashram men!? Good god! I hope u update soon...

I hope to hear abt khushi in the next update!
Man am I glad the writing bugs got to you again and we are rewarded with an update!  RB, you just made my day.  The break seems to have worked well as they were able to explore different angles and come up with different options.  Now there seems to be a motive for each of the crime and perhaps the usual suspects who come for the victims.  Surprise a little that Anjali is one of them but the guys at the top are smart and know a policeman sister is a huge asset so I am not too surprised.  I am glad he did not hesitate to issue the warrant for her.  I am a little bit worried for Kushi and wonder if she is OK.  Or maybe I should not be as she may turn out to be another Anjali type of association. 
You are a diamond RB. Wow.πŸ‘