Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vijay thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Well this is getting interesting...

I agree with Mystica that its personal choice and everyone has their own views on this.

So here is my take on the subject:

I have been surfing and using the Internet for the past 9 years. My homepage (with my pic) have been LIVE for say around the same time as it was the first site I designed while learning HTML.

I have seen both sides of the Internet and have been part of greater Internet activities for which my name was on the National Daily Frontpage but very few people on the Forum knows about it but still I am not so proud of it now. (different story)

Well about Internet crimes the main problem is Credit Card frauds. But for a credit card fraud they need a credit card number, your Address and the 3 digit secret code at the back of your card also. but not the picture.

Lets take these examples:

a) Just think of a situation that you are going out to a Shopping Mall to buy something and some one can capture your photo through his mobile phone. What privacy you have ? He can even follow you to your home ? This doesnt mean that you wont go to the mall.

b) Lets say you have done something remarkable and you are being awarded. There is print media and you get all the spot light. Your pic appears in Newspaper with your name. Well is this dangerous? Then I think we shouldnt do great things so that we are never are caught on camera.

c) You are coming out of your college and there is a group of guys on their bike who are staring at you and makes some funny comments. Will you stop going to the college ? But you just ignore them or just go to the authorities and complain about them.

Seriously people are far more busy with their own lives then being a stalker who would visit India Forums and then take the pain to track down someone.

Its the time that we realize that technology has invaded our lives to a greater extent so we must be cautious, we must choose our friends wisely, we must not divulge personal details which could help someone get your account details. BUT we should not be a paranoid. Sharing a pic is just like going out to a party where you do not know 95% of the people out there. We must be STRONG and tell all people that I am not afraid of little things (which just has 0.01% chances). I am being myself and nor I live in a world of paranoia.

If Things ARE gonna happen they WILL happen!!!

No offence to anyone.

Warm regards,
Vijay

Morgoth thumbnail

[quote=vijay]Lets take these examples:

a) Just think of a situation that you are going out to a Shopping Mall to buy something and some one can capture your photo through his mobile phone. What privacy you have ? He can even follow you to your home ? This doesnt mean that you wont go to the mall.

b) Lets say you have done something remarkable and you are being awarded. There is print media and you get all the spot light. Your pic appears in Newspaper with your name. Well is this dangerous? Then I think we shouldnt do great things so that we are never are caught on camera.

c) You are coming out of your college and there is a group of guys on their bike who are staring at you and makes some funny comments. Will you stop going to the college ? But you just ignore them or just go to the authorities and complain about them. [/quote]

These are examples of things which you as an individual have no control over. Placing your picture on the net is something which you do of your own volition. It implies "This is what I look like"; it draws more attention to you.

[quote=vijay]Its the time that we realize that technology has invaded our lives to a greater extent so we must be cautious, we must choose our friends wisely, we must not divulge personal details which could help someone get your account details. BUT we should not be a paranoid. Sharing a pic is just like going out to a party where you do not know 95% of the people out there. We must be STRONG and tell all people that I am not afraid of little things (which just has 0.01% chances). I am being myself and nor I live in a world of paranoia.[/quote]

This is easy to say if you have not experienced the harsh side of the net for yourself or if you haven't seen someone close to you go through hell because of simply displaying a picture on the internet. In such cases, its wise to remain a bit paranoid.

All said and done, its one's experiences which shape one's choices. If you've had good experiences on the net, thats great.

[quote=vijay]If Things ARE gonna happen they WILL happen!!![/quote]

That is true. But, one should not knowingly jump off a cliff either. 

Edited by MysticaMagic - 18 years ago
_Anonymous_ thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

I feel for a girl's protection more than a guy's...Guy's usually dont get raped, molested, stalked, etc.etc.

So obviously you would feel secure for sharing your pic but my plead to the females of this site...please dont be reckless...I care enough to say that

popkurn thumbnail
In my opinion putting up your picture can be a dangerous idea, and then on the other hand...you can make more friends, but like Naina said you dont know if the friend you are talking to is a friend or a stalker. I dont put my pic up cuz I dont want people to know what I look like, I feel uncomfortable sharing my pic with others, it doesnt matter how nice the person is I dont feel comfotable. And what Naina said was true, people tend to harass/rape girls more than boys. That is all I have to say. 
cRaZyGrL192 thumbnail
u r soo rite.i mean we dont know whose on this website.u cant c the ppl u pm pr post messages 2.itz not safe at all thatz y i dont put my pic!
*Shona* thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
basically i have no arguements left cuz nanu and mysti took all๐Ÿ˜†...so i just wanna say that i agree with both nanu and mysti...its different for a gal to put her picture compared to a guy puttin his pic!! i dont recommend girls puttin up their pic in their avtars!๐Ÿ˜Š
|iami5o4| thumbnail

Y'know me personally I wouldn't put my pic. as my avatar. But if you do then you should be aware of what can happen in return. There's a lot of crazy people out there including some on the internet that just look for girls who post up their pics.

Now in a place like myspace.com I'm comfortable posting up my pic there because everyone does it~! But me personally I wouldn't put my pic as an avatar in a Forum filled with people I don't know. ^.^ Just for Safety reasons and stuff.

~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail

Originally posted by: jelly_1984

basically i have no arguements left cuz nanu and mysti took all๐Ÿ˜†...so i just wanna say that i agree with both nanu and mysti...its different for a gal to put her picture compared to a guy puttin his pic!! i dont recommend girls puttin up their pic in their avtars!๐Ÿ˜Š

yup jelly belly sis iz rite i came here 2 l8 all the gud pointz were taken by mystca di and naina......................but i agree wif everything they have said

wen i think of sumfin else 2 defend the case imma post it l8er

_Anonymous_ thumbnail
nah man!!its only Mystica who's rocking in this debate๐Ÿ˜ƒ
_Anonymous_ thumbnail

I saw that link before!!!really hilarious but so true!๐Ÿ˜†

Its so cute how your saying everything on a "serious note"...when your not really serious at all๐Ÿ˜†