Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

samie thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
we only have ac in the computer suites @ school n i say acs are good n bad either way u look @ it as they can b good 4 the summer months but we only b in school 4 2 months in the summer so what do u do with it the rest of time also thinkin it is a portable 1 where do u put it n also the cost
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: JK_5

😕 R u serious? I don't get u guys Wht does pampering has to do with AC's

let me explain what this debate is about - PLEASE READ

Most of you who responded here are from the u.s and have not studied in India . What this debate is about , let me explain , most , probably 99% of schools in india ( sorry my stats are not accurate though.....please correct me if you have accurate published stats ) don't have air conditioning  .

And most of India is also not airconditioned , unlike the U.S or Canada where every thing is airconditioned - schools , unive , homes , cars etc !!!!!!

Why this debate , most of Indian parents want their kids to be used to India that is living - functioning without airconditioning . Yes , the heat is killing in most parts of India in the summer , but every kid learns to tolerate with it and accept it as a part of their life..........It teaches kids to be tolerant  and be like every other Indian kid. Like their neighbours kid or like their friends kids who don't neccesarily go to the same school as their own kid .
Even the best schools ( academically) don't yet offer a/c's in the classrooms these days . thats reality !! Only the rich schools funded by business mens do . they infact don't necesarily give out the best results accademicaly !

Edited by indygirl - 18 years ago
frosty thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
I agree with you indygirl. I have studied in India and my schools/univ did
not have an AC in the classroom and we did very well without it. Its not
just the AC which bothers me, it is the fact that parents have started
giving children a lot of money to flaunt and spend. Why does a 10 year
old need a cell phone? What emergency call does he/she need to make.
The AC, cell phone, personal cars for children are just symptoms of a
greater evil. Children do not need to know that they are different, or that
they have money. Yes, there is a lot of difference between the various
economic classes in India, but parents do not need to make the difference
obvious among children. Children should be allowed to grow up without
being aware of the class differences. Just my two cents
frosty thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
The question loonytunes is not the extra comfort. Yes the ACs would
provide a more comfortable environment, and yes I would have wanted
ALL the schools to have AC's. My problem with this issue lies there. That
not every school has an AC. Do we need to remind children that not all
people are equal. Do we want to reiterate to them at such a young age
that you are better off then 90% of the majority? I personally do not think
that an AC or lack of it would make them strong. My problem is that such
habits breed a feeling of superiority in children merely on the basis of
economic status.
anjali.nair thumbnail
i agree with loonytunes.  you say that just few schools having a/c differentiates between rich and poor kids. but even otherwise only rich and upper middle class kids go to these  said expensive private schools. so a/c or no a/c there is division. Now even if there were no a/c in school still these kids from affluent families would grow up with everything and would go to the best schools abroad and roll in money. i don't think these kids are going to learn harsh realities of life. why would they? when their parents provide them with everything. 

it would be good if more and more schools could afford it because of the extreme climatic conditions in india but a/c is still a luxury in india and it would be too expensive for govt. so the private schools which are funded by businessmen and other affluent people can afford it and the kids studying there enjoy it.

now many would argue that they studied in the same extreme climate without a/c. so what??? with time and modern advancement things change, people change.

In the 80s when color tv was introduced in india there was a motion against it because only rich could buy it and others would still be watching black&white. but after a while all the hullabaloo subsided and now people even dream in color😊. so i think this phase will too change in years to come.
usachick821 thumbnail
i have posted before but i forgot to mention that yes, i did go to school in india for 2 years or so, and i think someone mentioned that having a/c in india is a luxury.. i dont get that? the max temperature it reaches here in the us (in the liveable areas) is like 105, and in india it can easily reach 140? then why is it wrong to have a/c over there? the reason is simple, it gets really hot! having a/c in india is definetely not a luxury, its an upgrade to our minimal standards in our schools.
Aparna_BD thumbnail
Firstly if Indian schools got more funding , they would be spending that money on more important things like - improving the building , alloting more on school supplies ,newer generators , paying the teachers better so that they can get better talents , adding more computers , or improving the sports arena structure .....etc etc ....the list is endless. So therefore i would not like to see this as their primary plan for improvement or upgrade .

Secondly , If i was to send my kids to the best schools , i'd like that to be a good boarding school in India- Welhems , Doon , Mayo ,Sindhia etc . The boarding schools are somewhat like boot camps here . Kids need to rough it out and get used to all circumstances .Adding a a/c will make them a softy in my opinion .

Its like when i went to college my parents always wanted me to take the bus ( although i had a car and a chaefeur at my disposal ) It made me mad , but it helped when i got married and at a time me and my hubby couldn't afford 2 cars , so i took buses or autos to work. Thats when i didn't find taking a bus so bad .( You'll know what i mean if any of you has ever climbed on to a DTC bus .... 🤢
ME_T thumbnail
if the heat disctracts the kids from learning then???
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: ME_T

if the heat disctracts the kids from learning then???

How do you think the millions of kids in India are studying then . And state toppers come out of those schools without a/c !
fatty1 thumbnail
ac's are always a must in schools