Malika A.K.A Anju Mahendroo: INTERVIEW

a-d-e-e-m thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
Anju Mahendroo on being stuck with a image and being a Balaji loyalist
Are you okay with doing a replacement job for Sudha Chandran in Kuchh Is Tara?

Well, there is nothing wrong in replacing someone in a show. Replacements are a done thing on television today. I don't know why Sudha left the show and I didn't try finding out the reason either. I was told that she wasn't too well. May be she is busy with lot of work which could have had an adverse effect on her health.

Did you find the role interesting enough to walk into the show?
Yes, it is a good role. It is only three weeks since I joined the show. Mallika Nanda is an interesting character. She has loved her son a bit too much which turned him into a spoilt brat. Ranbir is on course to mend his ways but I guess it will take him some time to be a good boy.

There is so much uncertainty about dailies that stories are turned upside down and key characters tend to lose their importance. Does it bother you?
No it doesn't. No one knows which track will work and how long. TRPs decide everything. The tracks and characters which work at a particular point of time get maximum screen space. I am quite used to it. In fact, one must learn to adjust to the system. If you think too much you will get dissatisfied and won't be able to work properly.

Do you think of the past days when television had good stories and offered better roles?
One does revisit those days of wonderful weeklies. There was a time when I did nine shows simultaneously and still I could manage them all quite easily. Story-wise weeklies were any day better than today's dailies. But then one must realise that times have changed. We are catering to audience which has loads of choices. People want to see certain kind of stories and drama and these shows seem to be working well. I have no problem going with the trend.

Khwaish is another Balaji show you are doing currently. How is it going for you?
Not bad. The show has done well and my character has been on a wheel-chair for two months after the son's death. I am not too sure where my character will go. But I also hear that the show is likely to wind-up soon.

You have been doing television for over two decades now. Are you comfortable playing only the classy and sophisticated woman? Or does it make you feel dissatisfied some times?
I don't know how and why I got slotted in the persona of a classy woman. Even now I am doing the same. Maybe there was acceptance and the image worked for me. I can't think of any other reason. Be it in films or serials, certain images work and it's true for every actor, including the superstars. Try changing the image and it goes against you. Just go with the trend and things work well.

But doesn't the monotony of image bore you?
No it doesn't. May be the image is same but the character, setting and tracks are different in each show. Also, working with different actors, directors and technicians makes you feel fresh.

You have done a lot of Balaji shows. Any particular reason for being a Balaji loyalist?

Oh, I have done nine or ten shows for Balaji. It's a wonderful production company to work with. They take care of their actors quite well. Besides, the advantage of working for one company is that your dates and time is adjusted very well and you get to work in a stress-free environment.

Do you regret that today more than content look gets more importance in serials?
I do believe that content should be more important. But the problem is that good content is not getting viewership. Some good shows have been pulled off because of poor ratings.

In a month how many days do you like to work? Are you okay with 12-hour shifts?
I work for all 30 days. Ideally I would love to do an eight hour shift, from 2 to 10 pm. But I have no choice but to do a 12-hour shift.

Any new show in the offing?
I am already doing one more show called Nargis for DD. I have also shot for a sitcom for 9X but I do not know when it will come on air.

Weekly comedy should be a good break for you from the routine of dailies…
It will be a good change. But I have done comedies before. Even the base of Kuchh Is Tara is comedy though my character has no comic shades.