Right or Wrong - who determines that?

shrutichopra thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Hey!

I just chanced upon the Debate Mansion and it seems like a very my kind of place.

One question that gets me thinking every single time is that we(the people of the world) say a particular thing/path is 'right' while the other is 'wrong'. But who determines this? Who distinguishes them and why do we take things as acceptable and unacceptable? What makes the human psyche think in such a manner and how 'right' or 'wrong' things really are?

Many might say it is the society that decides but then again who is this 'society' and how do they decide? And if that is answered why do they decide? why is such a power vested in the 'society' and not merely in an 'individual'?

Would love to see the debate and opinions on this!

Shruti

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

corvette thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: shrutichopra

Hey!

Afternoon!πŸ˜‰

I just chanced upon the Debate Mansion and it seems like a very my kind of place.

Glad to hear it 😊- for me, it is becoming even more addictive and definitelt more staisfying than keeping up with the soaps!!πŸ˜†

One question that gets me thinking every single time is that we(the people of the world) say a particular thing/path is 'right' while the other is 'wrong'. But who determines this? Who distinguishes them and why do we take things as acceptable and unacceptable? What makes the human psyche think in such a manner and how 'right' or 'wrong' things really are?

Security in numbers is the first thing that came to my mind when I read this. The more people believe a certain way - themore  persuasive that group is. Why? Becaue the majority of people are not individuals as we would like to think, but sheep!!!!!! Only jokingπŸ˜‰ 

Seriously though, I guess this way of thinking what is commonly held as wrong and commonly held as right is down to fundamental basic laws of humanity - which most people adhere to.

Many might say it is the society that decides but then again who is this 'society' and how do they decide? And if that is answered why do they decide? why is such a power vested in the 'society' and not merely in an 'individual'?

Again its a numbers thing. The more with one voice, the more power they have. Simple majority versus minority. But its OK if the majority want to invest that power in one individual, like a PM, or President I guess. It is arguble that in a democratic society, you are more likely perhaps to "live and let live" according to one's own beliefs/standards but only up to the point that they are not "contrary to public policy" or basic fundamental human rules.

So now, I guess were down to what are basic fundamental human rules and who decided them!πŸ˜†

Would love to see the debate and opinions on this! Well, you got my two bits worth! πŸ˜†

Shruti

Thanks for the topic!πŸ‘ 

😑M😑

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
its already decided ages ago.. we have to just follow it.. I dont think we have to reinvent the wheel...Most people know whats right and whats wrong... 😊

Hey!

welcome aboard😊

One question that gets me thinking every single time is that we(the people of the world) say a particular thing/path is 'right' while the other is 'wrong'. But who determines this?

oh, lot of sources that make those distinctions.  our sense of righteousness comes from our values and morals.  our parents r primarily responsible for instilling the righteousness in us during our childhood.  generally speaking, religion also guides people about what's right and what's wrong.

the quirk comes from the fact that different people interpret the same religion/religious teaching differently.  therefore, i would say, right or wrong is determined based on our interpretation of our religion's teachings, our upbringing, and the society in which we live.

Who distinguishes them and why do we take things as acceptable and unacceptable?

on the basic level, once we r all grown up (that is if we ever grow up), our conscience helps us distinguishing between what's right and what's wrong.  now, how much attention we pay to our conscience will be a separate debate.

What makes the human psyche think in such a manner and how 'right' or 'wrong' things really are?

when u bring humans into an equation, u totally mess it up.  generally speaking, people judge right and wrong based on how they happen to be living their lives.  we all have this tendency to justify what we r doing as "right" even if it happens to be wrong.  in this sense, we humans tend to create our own reality.   

well, at the end of the day, society is made up of individuals too.  individuals let society dictate right or wrong for them because most want to be accepted.  "power in numbers" as qwerty said.  now, one society may consider something right, as in sati pratha in older times, that would be totally unacceptable in a different society during similar era or the same society in a different era.  therefore, i wouldn't blindly go by society's definition of right and wrong but i amy choose not to voice my opinion because i may not want to be shunned or ridiculed.

now, we can decide to follow our own path and some do follow their own path but the problem arises when they think their path is the right one and start judging the paths others are following.  if we all mind our own business and live and let live, half the problems in this world will be solved.  but this doesn't happen...does it?

Would love to see the debate and opinions on this!

Shruti

lighthouse thumbnail

Nice to see you in DM Shruti.πŸ˜ƒ

Its not just humans, animals are also born with inherent sense of right and wrong. you don't see animals going on hunting spree unless they are hungry. Having said that, our culture/society/parents/teachers/friends help us identify our thoughts and behaviours which become so intimately woven within us as virtue. Just like all statues were there in marble before, all virtues are there in us.. πŸ˜› Thank god more ppl agree with what is right then disagree...!!!!

chatbuster thumbnail

i think society and people acting individually, in their self-interest, make that determination. now, as for what is actually right or wrong, i think the easy 10 commandments kind of rights and wrongs are easily understood. those are no-brainers. too much marketing right from when we are born has drilled that into us.πŸ˜›

but unfortunately, the world is plagued more by issues where there's no consensus- homosexuality, divorce, life-style, whose God is more powerful, who has right on someone's territory or land etc etc. Which explains all the troubles we have been having. πŸ˜‰

another thing. the sense of right or wrong has changed over time. and i think it will continue to into the future, while we try to get to the universal truth. meanwhile our personal right or wrong depends not only on one's frame of reference but also time. the truth we perceive today aint exactly the same we perceived when we were kids. and that's not even getting into societal concepts of right or wrong. 😊

Edited by chatbuster - 16 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Nature has gifted us with a thought process, a personal understanding of right and wrong. This perception differs from person to person, but we all apply our moral and ethical perceptions to what we do.

Society is a collection of different individuals. Varying perceptions are pooled together to form a collective wisdom, depending on the individuals involved certain ideas become collective norms. Societies vary greatly too depending on the individuals involved.

Society influences people to form their judgments of right and wrong and aids in moral growth in turn each individual influences society through their personal ideas causing society to gradually change and evolve.

It is a cycle of exchange, growth and evolution of moral and ethical perception that carries humanity through ages that influences what we believe to be right or wrong. It is the nature of a life form to survive, sustain and strive for collective greater good.

Of course there will be exceptions.
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Nature has gifted us with a thought process, a personal understanding of right and wrong. This perception differs from person to person, but we all apply our moral and ethical perceptions to what we do.

Society is a collection of different individuals. Varying perceptions are pooled together to form a collective wisdom, depending on the individuals involved certain ideas become collective norms. Societies vary greatly too depending on the individuals involved.

Society influences people to form their judgments of right and wrong and aids in moral growth in turn each individual influences society through their personal ideas causing society to gradually change and evolve.

It is a cycle of exchange, growth and evolution of moral and ethical perception that carries humanity through ages that influences what we believe to be right or wrong. It is the nature of a life form to survive, sustain and strive for collective greater good.

Of course there will be exceptions.

I think that "thinking" and "perceiving" are two mutually exclusive things... if you think... you shouldnt be able to distinguish right and wrong... if you perceive you are not free of pre-conceived biases.. in such cases its always  ok to go our granny and get her advice.. Her simplistic answers come across as the true answer.. which is why I feel you have to seek answers for right and wrong in ages when people could "feel" more than they could "think"..πŸ˜‰

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

I think that "thinking" and "perceiving" are two mutually exclusive things...if you think... you shouldnt be able to distinguish right and wrong... if you perceive you are not free of pre-conceived biases.. in such cases its always  ok to go our granny and get her advice.. Her simplistic answers come across as the true answer.. which is why I feel you have to seek answers for right and wrong in ages when people could "feel" more than they could "think"..πŸ˜‰

"shouldn't" or "should"? 

so,  r u saying it's irrelevant whether one thinks or percieves as they still won't be able make right from wrong w/o asking an elder person?

what's right for an 80 year old grand ma may not be right for a 20 year old grand daughter if we take into consideration things that fall outside the morality/ethics bucket.  say for example, the widowed 80 yr old granny is approached by her widowed 23 yr old grand daughter seeking advice on re-marriage.  granny may think it's not appropriate.  should she agree with granny's thinking in this case?  

Edited by Gauri_3 - 16 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

I think that "thinking" and "perceiving" are two mutually exclusive things... if you think... you shouldnt be able to distinguish right and wrong... if you perceive you are not free of pre-conceived biases.. in such cases its always  ok to go our granny and get her advice.. Her simplistic answers come across as the true answer.. which is why I feel you have to seek answers for right and wrong in ages when people could "feel" more than they could "think"..πŸ˜‰

The dictionary definition distinguishes them as two distinct words. However, they are not mutually exclusive but interdependent. Our thoughts influence our perceptions and our perceptions influence our thoughts. We all have a unique thought process and think things in a different way, which leads to difference in our perceptions. The environment we live in creates perceptions and notions in our mind that influences the way we think.