Dusky is hot & sexy -- article

appu_m thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
Dusky is hot & sexy
Reshmi Ghosh

Wanted: A good-looking "fair" girl for a 26-year-old boy with a regular income.

What do dusky beauties PARUL CHAUHAN and RESHMI GHOSH have to say about this coloured view of womanhood?

Why do TV shows like Saat Phere and Bidaai featuring dark-skinned people strike a chord with audiences?

Parul: Our show (Bidaai) tells the story of two cousin sisters. One of them is dark, the other is fair. In Saat Phere, Saloni (played by Rajshree Thakur) got attention because of her being dark-skinned. In our serial, the dark-skinned one has the privilege of being with a family whereas the fair-skinned one is alone. I guess what people find interesting is finding out how the future of these two girls is affected by the difference in skin colour.

Reshmi: By showing such things, the serials reinforce certain age-old notions. I have been gifted with this complexion and I am happy about it. I don't feel the need to make a song and dance about being dark (or fair).

Has your complexion ever hindered your career?

Parul: I have been in the industry for around four years now and nothing like that has happened with me. I am not fair-skinned but I have good features. But, at times, in the earlier days, I was sceptical: Will I get work?

Reshmi: When I joined this profession in 1999, I was in school. Initially, I had some doubts but once I joined the industry, all the myths (dark girls don't get work) were dispelled.

Any real-life incidents?

Parul: When I was born, my dadi (father's mother) said: 'A girl and that too dark!' My mother also felt sad about my being dark. But as I grew up my features started developing and people started getting attracted to me.

Reshmi: As a child, I thought my family members did not love me much because of my complexion; in sharp contrast to me, my sister and mother are very fair. The moment they saw me on screen with make-up and all they said: 'Oh you are so beautiful'. I questioned them: 'Bachpan mein kya main koi aur thi ? I'm the same person with the same features'!

Why does TV stress skin tone?

Parul: People know our show as the story of a kaali and a gori ladki. If both of them are of the same skin colour, then the story would not have been rivetting.

Reshmi: Since daily soaps are watched by the dadimas and mothers-in-law, the serials tell the story of a dark girl in keeping with the way these people view dark girls.

Parul Chauhan

Earlier, how would you react to snide remarks about your complexion?

Parul: I would ask them, "If I abuse you, once I become fair, will you like it?'

Reshmi: I would scoff, 'You are jealous as you don't have a complexion like mine'.

Did you ever try any fairness cream?

Parul: Yes, I tried them a lot when I was in the seventh or eighth standard. I was convinced I looked fair after applying the cream!

Reshmi: As a child, yes. I tried all the Multani mittis and fairness creams. Oh God, I still remember what a dumb girl I was!

Are men attracted to fairer women?

Parul: Today's men want an attractive girl in their life. They feel that when they stand together, they should look good together.

Reshmi: Dusky is sensuous, hot and sexy.

Would you choose a dark or a fair-skinned man for yourself?

Parul: I do not like fair guys, I would choose a wheat-complexioned man with sharp features.

Reshmi: I have already chosen (laughs) my man. I am not into skin complexion, I want to know what the person is all about — and I have got the best.

If you were born again and got to choose a skin colour, you would…

Parul: I'm happy with my complexion but if I got a chance, I would choose a wheatish or a dusky complexion for myself.

Reshmi: I would like to choose my current complexion.

MILI SWARNAKAR (BOLLYWOOD NEWS SERVICE)

Source:- The Telegraph Calcutta
Please reply 😊
Edited by appu_m - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

luv_pavi thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
thanxxx both r satisfied wid their complextion thatz guddd 👏
Chingaari thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Most Liked (January 2021) 1 Thumbnail + 8
interesting

thanks alot
appu_m thumbnail
I dont know why people go by ones complexion. I believe that complexion is god's gift. People should see a persons beautiful mind not complexion. In this machine age people dont have time to see other persons mind and we cant expect also. May be this is the reason for finding so many articles on dark complexion 😕 .
yipee thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
thanks for sharing...dunno y there is such a hype regarding complexions 😕 we have sooooooooooooooooooo many dusky beauties in the industry so i dont know y it shud matter