Rajmata will be c/di Rani Saheba-Article

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 16 years ago

Shoddy research evokes ire of the Scindias

A queen can not be addressed as Rajmata unless she is a widow. The producers of Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat realised this when they got a hearing from the royal family of Gwalior.

Ranjib Mazumder

Mrinal Kulkarni in Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat

So now we know that our soaps are popular even with the royalty. Launched a month ago on Star Plus, Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat is keenly watched by the royal family of Gwalior, the Scindias. But this patronage has not boded well for the show. In the show, Mrinal Kulkarni has been addressed as Chhoti Rajmata, a moniker that has displeased the Scindias. Apparently, the Scindia family called the channel and expressed their displeasure. The channel and the producer had no option but to apologise and incorporate the change.

Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat is the story of a poor girl who ends up in a royal family. Mrinal Kulkarni, who plays the queen, is addressed as Rajmata. According to the royal order, a queen can not be addressed as Rajmata unless she is a widow; and Mrinal's character in the show is married.

A source from the production house said, "Our show was launched on January 21 and within a week someone very senior from the Scindia family called the channel heads and registered their complaint. They said that it was wrong to address Mrinal as Rajmata as she is not a widow. The channel was livid with the production house for the poor research. The production house, however, apologised to them and now Mrinal's character will be addressed as Rani Saheba."

Vishal Sharma, co-producer of the show, confirmed the story and said, "Yes, the channel received a call from a senior member of the Scindia family and conveyed that they wanted us to address Mrinal's character differently. According to royal traditions, she can't be referred to as Rajmata as she is not a widow. We have apologised for the mistake and made the required changes."

What excuse can there be for such shoddy research? Sharma said, "I don't know how our creative team skipped such a vital fact while doing their research. In fact, we have spent a lot time researching royal customs and costumes across places like Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat. Every our actors took a lot of time to get into the skin of the characters, getting the nuances of royal etiquettes and their mannerisms just right. I am also going to meet them personally to apologise."

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpaper.aspx?page=article&am p;sectid=12&contentid=2008020520080205020127277519a4280

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

@Shruti: Thanx for the article. So the royal family too watches RKAB, that is nice 😃

One thing the so far the royal family in the serial have managed to create the aura of royal family, so kudos to the actors for that. Good that the production house quickly corrected its mistake, i hope they are careful in the future.

shwetha 😊 Edited by sp79 - 16 years ago
-JC- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Thankx for the article. I do think it was an overlooked matter on part of the production house and not the fault of the researcher. Because the royal cast has maintained their royalty very well. Their ettiquettes and mannerisms are very good. They exude the royal aura. But even though i have no association with royal matters.. even i know that a queen doesn't become Rajmata until after her son becomes the King (and that happens after her husband (the king) would die)). But i think they have referred to the queen differently in each episode..i think the writer himself must have been confused.
Bee3nazz thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
hey its good to know that if i met the royall family i could chat to them about RKAB lol!!! thats fab!!! and u learn something new everyday!!! lol

thnks for enlightening moi!!!

xXx
pragalbha thumbnail
OK, I am not sure when they have corrected, because even as of yesterday's episode they kept calling her "Raj maata".

Probably these scenes were all shot before that incident happened.
That's great, they watch it too.
I don't blame the researcher though.. simple mistake. 😊
pinkdiamond thumbnail
thanks for posting article