Ghar Ki Lakshmi Betiyann

Dheeraj Kumar Interview>Producer GKLB

gp00 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
Thank you so much for posting this. An enlightening read.

It's a really great article on how the Indian TV industry works. Did not realize TV was bigger than Bollywood in revenues I'm guessing?

DK mentions that some 80% of viewers are stay-at-home moms. That is massive, but not all that surprising given the culture of women staying at home. But as TiVo and other technology flood the market (allowing taping), this number will change. At that point, the plots/stories may change, to reflect the new base (students, professionals, manual workers, and of course more men!).

I completely understand DK's points--you have to give your viewers what they want (marketing 101), not some representation of them that belittles them as doing nothing but staying home. It's just that you don't want to go to far.

P.S.--Did you see his comments on going to sleep adorned and coiffed? Actors seem to be driving it, as well as viewer research. I still don't get it--they have really lovely nightware and robes. Perfect makeup, perfect hair can stay. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

realitybites thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 16 years ago

This content was originally posted by-gp00

Thank you so much for posting this. An enlightening read.

Welcome gp and thanks for your thoughtful views.

It's a really great article on how the Indian TV industry works. Did not realize TV was bigger than Bollywood in revenues I'm guessing?

No its not bigger but yes its catching up.

DK mentions that some 80% of viewers are stay-at-home moms. That is massive, but not all that surprising given the culture of women staying at home.

Yes thats sadly true that the majority of the women viewers want to see this as Dheeraj Kumar rightly pointed out the women have one goal to get married and therefore they relate to such storylines.

But as TiVo and other technology flood the market (allowing taping), this number will change. At that point, the plots/stories may change, to reflect the new base (students, professionals, manual workers, and of course more men!).

May be possible but regd men well they have other means of entertainment. Women (ref India) have only  TV as acceptable means to entertain themselves and these serials are consideredπŸ˜• to be upholding family values. If the serials depict contemporary problems wonderful but I doubt that since all storylines predominantly cater to love which will culminate to marriage and there you go againπŸ˜†

I completely understand DK's points--you have to give your viewers what they want (marketing 101), not some representation of them that belittles them as doing nothing but staying home. It's just that you don't want to go to far.

Yeap thats true and unfair too.

P.S.--Did you see his comments on going to sleep adorned and coiffed? Actors seem to be driving it, as well as viewer research. I still don't get it--they have really lovely nightware and robes. Perfect makeup, perfect hair can stay. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Hey where are his comments on this?πŸ˜• 

Btw it was pleasure knowing your views.