*Jaya* thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

The top grossers of 2007

Rediff.com

This year may not have been as huge for the Hindi film industry as 2006 was. Last year, we saw huge hits like Lage Raho Munnabhai, Rang De Basanti, Dhoom:2, Krrish and Phir Hera Pheri.

But 2007 was good too. Lets take a look at the big hits. Welcome, Taare Zameen Par

Last week's releases, Welcome and Taare Zameen Par have opened very well. Though these movies are definitely a part of the top 10 hits of 2007, we will not rank these films, as their gross collections are not known yet.

Om Shanti Om

This year's biggest hit is Om Shanti Om, Farah Khan's tribute to the 1970s cinema.

The Shah Rukh Khan-starrer broke new records, as it crushed last year's biggest overseas hit, Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna. Karan Johar's KANK grossed $1.35 million in the US and Canada, while Om Shanti Om grossed $1.5 million in just three days of its release.

Partner

David Dhawan proved that even after all these years, he still had it in him to make blockbusters. Partner had a great start at the box office, worldwide.

Starring Salman Khan and Govinda, this Hitch copy had some great comic moments.

Heyy Babyy

Like his sister Farah, Sajid Khan was quite lucky at the box office too. His directorial debut, Heyy Babyy, saw Akshay Kumar do what he does best: rib-tickling comedy!

Heyy Babyy also had a great opening in the US and UK, landing among the top ten movies in UK.

Bhool Bhulaiyaa

2007 undoubtedly belongs to Akshay Kumar; all his movies have been big hits. And Bhool Bhulaiyaa is no exception.

The combination of director Priyadarshan and actors Paresh Rawal and Akshay has always worked. Remade from the Malayalam film, Manichitrathazhu, Bhool Bhulaiyaa had superhit music as well.

Jab We Met

After starring in a couple of films together like Fida, Chup Chup Ke and 36 China Town, Shahid and Kareena finally hit success with Jab We Met. Unfortunately, by the time the film released, the two were no longer a couple.

Jab We Met became a big success thanks to great reviews, positive word-of-mouth, and a brilliant performance from Kareena.

Chak De! India

Chak De! India became more than just a hit film. It became the nation's triumph call.

The film's songs blared out of radios and televisions in every cricket match that occured during its release. It did outstanding business in multiplexes, and abroad.

Bheja Fry

2007 was a good year for small-budget films as well.

Bheja Fry, made on a shoe string budget of Rs 50 lakh, was brilliantly reviewed, and became a huge hit. The film worked largely because of Vinay Pathak's terrific performance.

Namastey London

Another Akshay Kumar starrer, Namastey London saw him opposite his hit jodi, Katrina Kaif.

The film was a fun comedy, and raked in a good response in Mumbai, and the northern belt of India.

Guru

Mani Ratnam's Guru met with a mixed response. While the film did well in multiplexes, it did not fare too well in the single-screen cinemas and non-metros. Abroad, Guru got a good opening in the US.

Besides A R Rahman's music, the film also worked because of Abhishek's performance.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Personally I liked them all...except Partner

Bheja Fry belonged to Vinay pathak...he was AWESOME and carried the movie on his shoulders..

Metro isnt in top 10 grossers? 😕 ...again one absolutely fantabulous performance by Irfan Khan here!

I hope both these actors win some award(s) this year!
DB_reloaded thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
ya quite a good yr>>> bt 2006 was superior
OSO is the best movie of the year for me 😃
misselegent thumbnail
i liked only trrp, jwm and dhamaal and goalEdited by misselegent - 16 years ago
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thanks Jaya.

Where is Aap Ka Suroor? 😉 😆
khanrocks thumbnail
I liked all apart from Hey Baby 🤢
OSO is top grossers of all time now. It broke Gadar's record. Gadar broke DDLJ's record which broke Sholay's record.😃
thx 4 sharing i wached all the movies except behja fry, TZP, and welcome i really wacnt 2 watch these movies

From the list the ones

I absolutely loved: Guru, Bheja Fry, OSO, Saawariya

I liked: Jab we met, Bhool Bhulaiyya.

I didn't like:  CDI, Heyy Baby, Namaste London.

I am yet to watch TZP.