Unsafe to travel alone for women

Poll

Is it still unsafe for women to travel alone in India

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
simikr thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 16 years ago

I apologize if this topic has been discussed before but I wanted to bring it up and discuss it....please contribute to the poll and the discussion😊 I certainly want to know about everybody's personal experiences!!!😊:

When I came to the US, almost immediately I noticed several major differences:

I could travel alone ( which I have to all the time, being in my profession), at any time of the day or night without fear of being harassed in any way.( I am not talking about traveling in the downtown/ bad neighborhoods of big cities which are known for their crime). I could never have done so back in India where I have felt uncomfortable in broad daylight traveling in public transport.

Secondly, after having lived here for so many years, I have never seen girls/ women being a victim of EVETEASING which I have always witnessed in India, even when they are fully clothed and covered from head to toe !!!😡

I think definitely our entertaintainment industry( movies, TV) have a hand in this!!! What do you think??

Please contribute to the poll and don't forget to comment. Since members contribute from all over the world I want to know about the situation in your countries as well😊.!!!

Edited by simiv - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

usha_pooja thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Well, Simiv, nowadays not only India its not safe to travel but anywhere around the world. These days.

A number of woman life has been taken so sudden like thunder/ lightening. Its a totally pitty. Well, travelling alone only depends on us to be careful. I do come back from lectures or sometimes work. But, my parents will be standing near the bus stop to pick me up. It is safe to travel on your own but, you dont know what is popping around the corner.
kalki2007 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Usha is right - i lived in Madras for 5 yrs.
daytime is ok
travelling by bus is distater especially men between 40 years and above is the bad ones. the boys is good and decent. Canada, US, Uk we don't fact that problem not scary at all. nighttime you have to be carefull doesn't matter where you live. and other thing is india you have to carefull with your handbag and personal things - in here you don't have to worry too much. i think people who visitied can give us the recent picture.
Caryn thumbnail
It depends where we are Simi. In Malaysia, I feel safe to go home late at night either in bus or taxi. But after 8 I will take taxi, because my parents will worry about me.

However, it does not mean things are safe here. In broad day light, your handbag can get snatched and no one will help you. I once saw right in front of my eyes, how a girl walking on pavement, a couple of guys behind a motorbike snatched her handbag to the extend she fell on the road, and almost got hit by my friend's car who was behind. Lucky my friend was driving slow and managed to stop in time. Otherwise.........

There were cases, the victims died because of snatch thieves. This did not happen in lonely areas but right in the city areas.

So you will never know which part of the world is safe. Edited by Caryn - 16 years ago
anjali_prajin thumbnail
Simi i agree with u ma.This is the worst thing which will more happen in all over the world and not in a particular place .It might happen where ever girls does not have luck while walking in the road .More over some boys are bad whether they are in india or in abroad .It does not mean only in india they are like this but i think eve teasing is mainly and mostly done in india as we see lots of news and more over as u said when the girls are fully covered these things happen as india is been name for its culture and tradition that girls should come out like this when going outside.

But in other abroad ,girls here i think only foreign girls whether they come out in 2 piece or short dress they dont bother to comment abt them .Main thing is thieft and other things than dressing will happen all over the place whether in india or any other places ? where ever the evil persons are there this will happen and so i agree with u .Unsafe to travel alone happens all over the place.As there is no any particular thing to point and see where this is happening?