Post your personal review on Om Shanti Om

Fashionholic thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Hey Guys,

Just like the Saawariya thread, here is a Om Shanti Om thread! 

I know alot of you from the forum will be watching Om Shanti Om and will want to post your reviews, comments and opinions on the film.

So instead of starting individual threads, just post YOUR PERSONAL review on the film, for people to read.

(Moderators: Can we make this a fixed/sticky post?)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Hype, lots of excitement, anticipation and lots of expectations...that was the state of affairs as I walked into teh jam packed multiplex theatre last night...

tacky...tacky tacky tacky...the word kept ringing in my mind during the first half as I watched farah's interpretation of the 70's and teh cinema in 70's...SRK with all his years of experience did shine in a fewscenes...my favorite when he grapples with the tiger...and also one with young suraj barjatya getting ready for his biggest hit! some jokes tickle you, some dont...you have a feeling that the screenplay was written in Farah's living room with Kjo and the rest chipping in...because their brand of humour clearly shows!
kiran kher is disappointing...shreyas wasted...
the pleasant surprise is deepika who shows sparks in several scenes and she looks pretty too...and of course Arjun rampal who rocks as mukesh and rocks even more as the grey haired mikey in the 2 nd half...

U keep yearning in between to see more of the other actors but Srk is there in almost all the frames particualrly in the 2nd half....and his role in the 2nd half is so ill defined that at times i felt I was watching SRK as he appears in all his TV interviews rather than Om

the twist in the tale comes in too late...by that time most of the audiences have guessed it and the fianle song is so so disappointing particualry in comaprison to " ek hasina thi" from karz

in my view these are the mistakes farha made
1) Disclosed all her USPs in the promos...the 31 star song...we have seen the entire thing in the promos for example
2) she tried to squeeze in too many of her jokes/ items into the film and the story and as a result the viewer is jumping between filmfare awards and puns on industry to the actual story line

if the film works it will be beacause of SRk's fan base and the hype surrounding the movie
the film is definitely a masala movie as the makers claim but the first secret of good cooking is "less is more"...
So go watch it if u like a lot of spice and masala but dont compalain if you find chicken masala in your veg pulao...and also dont forget your anatacid tablets! 😉
PinkPixie thumbnail
Oh my gosh !!! i loved OSO !!!!!
This movie reminded me why i love hindi cinema .. all the melodrama , shahruk and deepika .. what a great movie !!

i just cme back from i and i can assure u .. i ll watch it happily a thousand times more.. its not a work of art but a true entertainer ... shah rukh khan is awesome.. i didnt liek him at all in K3G or KANK.. but this one shows the SRK i love!!!

Go see this movie evryone . FAntastic
ok now im off to see Saawariya.. you v got to go in to that one with a different mind set i guess.. i think its the genre of art and romance with literature ..im hoping n hoping that its not as bad as the reviews im hearing . iv been lookin fwd to saawariya for way too long !!
sneha_2100 thumbnail
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just came from watching OSO and it was superb. Saawariya is nothing compared to it. Deepika was fab and she looked so damn stunning. It was so sad to see Shanti dying and the ending part where she came as a ghost was the best part of the movie. I simply love this girl.

SRK was great as usual.

OSO ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
joie de vivre thumbnail
After a spectacular Chak De,SRK's performance in OSO is hammy and embarrassingly disappointing ..And to think I hounded my mum to make some calls to get me tickets at short notice..How deeply I regret that now🤢...Terribly boring film,It didn't hook me at any point...I didn't feel sorry for Shanti,I wasn't angry at Mukesh for being a bas***d,I didn't  connect AT ALL.....It's a pity that some of SRK's biggest hits have him hamming like there's no tomorrow...Self-spoof on overacting is definitely funny to watch,but the overacting per se is cringe-worthy

I was certain Deepika would flounder,but she pulls off certain scenes with great aplomb,albeit being relegated to virtually being a coy and unintelligently pretty lass..As Shanti 😃 ,she performed better than as Sandy .. ...I wouldn't judge her too harshly for being impassively wooden and clueless in some scenes,she certainly deserves few more chances before being written off completely...Though if she doesn't improve,I'm afraid she would join the club of non-actresses who perform once in a blue moon a la Ash,Priyanka,Bipasha etc

Arjun Rampal's performance was run-of-the-mill,Kiron Kher's arse of a character was excrutiatingly annoying,Shreyas was alright(but that could be because he's a good actor per se..Iqbal anyone??)

I didn't expect to watch a masterpeice,but even compared to low yardstick I had decided to use for judging the film,OSO fares badly...It was cheesy,very very cheesy even by Farah's usual standards...It's an unapologetically stupid film,and is propelled by star power and music alone and recieved with open arms at the Box Office...Replace SRK with some other newcomer,the film would have bombed😛 ...The only good thing about the film was the music...Deepika looked pretty and din't overact/ham(What a shame innit,nowadays not acting badly can be considered to be an achievement😆)
Edited by joie de vivre - 16 years ago

I just heard complete spoiler by someone who watched the film and the person is all praise for Deepika and Arjun. The story is not all that great but then it is just like any Manmohan Desai picture, over-the-top and unrealistic. So those who consider such movies as classic shouldn't give this a miss. Also the jokes on various industry people should be just taken in jest.

Performances:

SRK was supposed to be loud and that is what he did. No one expects a CDI performance from him in a film like OSO. He did what he was asked to.

Deepika gave a fabulous performance and many are surprised at the debutant as people expected her to be just the glamdoll with plastic expressions but as stunning as she is, superb performance too. She was best as Shantipriya and OK as Sandy. She is already believed to be a beauty who knows how to emote.

Above all everyone appreciated Arjun Rampal and he was convincing, scheming villain who looked the character. People are wondering where he was all these while.

Verdict:

OSO is loud, over-the-top, cheesy and dramatic just like most of Desai films. If you just want an entertainer then OSO is the film.

shaz81 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Guys no to ways about it OSO rocks i went to the preview show last night ALL four screens were house full and the film MAN its a rocking masala flick SRK is back doing what he does best pure entertainment and everyone else is brillant too, Deepika looks amazing BUT Arjun steal's the show with his villan, i wont spoil the story for you but the first half is a complete 70's theme with some great 70's bollywood in jokes , my fav was the manoj and sooraj barjatya bits classic , the middle portions before the film are outstanding the SFX are outstanding and really stand out, the secound half very good the way SRK protray's the revelations is good and kiran and shreyas are very good too, BUT for me the ending rocks i'm NOT going to say a thing i wouldn't want to spoil it and guys i beg you please dont reaveal a thing it will majorily spoil the ending !!!!!

Sharan XXX
Edited by shaz81 - 16 years ago
rajkin thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Just got bak after seeing OSO.   THE MOVIE ACTUALLY WORKS. With a more than shallow storyline and a kiddish screenplay, the movie works and the critics have to shut up. cos to carry a movie to another level way beyond are so many factors.The ever charismatic Shahrukh, the more then lovely Deepika Padukone, the om shanti om deewangee song with all stars thirty one{with Rekha looking ghostily bewiching and Urmila showing more age than Rekha}.And the filmfare award event where AbhishekBacchhan is symbolic of cursing under their breath if someone other than him gets the Award. Its all there in oso.lots of paisa vasool .its a punarjanam kind of story.More like the punarjanam to take revenge after the hero remembers his last birth. Deepika dies and so does Shahrukh and in her rebirth the new Deepika is so deadly looking as the new generation mod gal you just cant ask for more.
putturani thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
OSO Rocks! Go watch it people! It's totally amazing and a total masala film.
One of the best in recent times. It's so funny and serious at times too.
Magical, just magical.
Nitika2 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
What a brill film it was great! SRK never fails to dissapoint greatly impressed with Deepika she looked amazing throughout and acted great but Arjun steals the show as the villan great!!!
1st part set in the 70's was well done and the second part was even better- loved the way SRK portrayed his emotions when he was remembering his past and the ending - the climax song and the surprise at the end super!!! OSO rocks!!!!! 😊 Edited by Khushi3e - 16 years ago