‘We are not here to romance’ - article

* ~ Roshni ~ * thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 16 years ago

'We are not here to romance'

Himani Kapoor refuses to get too close with co-host Karan Oberoi whilst dancing in 'Antakshari'

'Sa Re Ga Ma Pa—Challenge 2005' (Zee) participant  Himani Kapoor, who is co-hosting 'Antakshari' (Zee) with actor-singer Karan Oberoi, created a furore  on the sets recently when she refused to follow the instructions of the choreographer. Himani was expected to do a step that required her to come close to Karan. This wasn't acceptable to her.

Himani grouses, "We perform to songs in the beginning and at the end of the show. Some time back, there was a step where Karan lifted me. I didn't approve of it. I thought it was unnecessary.  It was a children's special episode. Even my parents objected to it."

She continues, "We are here to host a show and not to romance. Hosting requires us to sing and even dance. I am okay with it as long as it doesn't make me uncomfortable. Recently again, they gave us a step where I had to roll into Karan's arms. I refused to do it and convinced the creative team about it."

She adds, "Karan was a little upset because he loves to do various forms of dance. But when I explained my point of view, he agreed. I'm a singer and I want to be known for my singing. It was okay if we were on 'Nach Baliye' because you are expected to dance on that show."      

Karan on his part says, "Himani is very young. Her family is conservative. Her parents are often there on the sets. So, it is not surprising for her to refuse to do such steps. It is her personal choice. I respect that." However he adds, "Our performance does get affected to an extent because of this. But we do the best in whatever options are available. Ideally, I would have liked a situation where we could perform all forms of dance. I am a performer. I am on the show to host, sing and dance. Himani and I had a chat about this. It's not a problem now." 

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1117533