Posted: 16 years ago
See please visit the post by metoubearscrazy and xo-marthka-ox

Please dont make any topics twince 😳
Angelic_Pari thumbnail
Girls dominate small screen   

Friday, August 10, 2007    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Indian television seems to have an obsession for women-centric stories. Adding to the list of numerous such soaps on various entertainment channels is Star TV's latest offering "Sangam", Fox Television Studios India's second show. The first one is the primetime success titled "Meri Awaaz Ko Mil Gayi Roshni".

The storyline revolves around a small-town girl Ganga and her relationship with her parents. Sangam is the melting pot of simple ideals and strong will power of this intelligent and ambitious girl, played by Jennifer Winget.

The protagonist of the story loves her father deeply and the only dream she is chasing is her father's – that of opening the biggest school in the area. "Although at one point in the serial the audience might feel that her dream will remain unfulfilled, it finally does come true. And that too with an interesting twist," says an excited Jennifer. Giving substance to the story is the numerable hurdles that the vivacious Ganga faces on her path to success.

The actress says that the cast and crew had as much fun on the sets as the audience will have viewing the show. More so because of the picturesque locales where the shooting was done. "The dams are breathtaking. We have mostly shot around Panchgani, keeping in mind that we are portraying the story of a middle-class family," elaborated Jennifer, who was initially nervous about playing the lead. But now she has settled down really well. "I think the character of Ganga has empowered me. I am really inspired by it," she smiles. Perhaps, it's Ganga who has made the actress start keeping more faith in destiny. With a simple and clean plot as its USP, "Sangam" is all set for telecast. Now, it's the audience that will decide its fate.
Marthika thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
http://india-forums.com/tellybuzz/article.asp?id=772
Marthika thumbnail

'I am not a foreigner please'

Her name is Jennifer Winget and that's enough to confuse people!

MOHINI MEHROTRA

'I am not a foreigner please'

Her name is Jennifer Winget and that's enough to confuse people!

MOHINI MEHROTRA

Jennifer Winget is young, but not new to television and acting. So, she's familiar with the right things to say to certain questions. Recently at the launch of a serial , the actress, dressed for her role in a pretty salwar kameez, was asked what she liked to wear. "Whatever it is, it has to be comfortable," she said. "I am usually dressed in jeans and a tee, but I love Indian clothes. I would rather dress up in a sexy saree than a short mini skirt," she says.
    But in many other ways, the actress, who has also featured in
Kasautii Zindagi Kay, is very different from the characters she portrays in sob operas. Part-Punjabi and part-Maharashtrian Christian, she says people often expect her to be a foreigner, with a name like Jennifer. "I don't have any difficulty speaking Hindi or Punjabi because my mom's a Punjabi," she says. "I am a mix of a lot of cultures and so it's not hard to play a typical Indian character."
    Jennifer started her acting career at the age of 12, but gave it a break to complete her studies. She did a movie Raja Ko Rani Se Pyaar Ho Gaya and then went on to TV. Jennifer's worked with most top names in the TV industry, but says she has no favourites. However, she does have favourites when it comes to music. "I love music. Depending
    upon my mood, I listen to hard rock when I feel morose and pop and hip-hop when I feel upbeat. I would also love to go for a holiday, but I have no time. I deserve a holiday!" she exclaims with a laugh. So, does this lady have a special someone in her life? "No," she reveals. "I want a man who is intelligent and witty. Loving, caring, and all that jazz is the obvious part, but he has got to be very classy," she says firmly.

+Jennifer Winget is young, but not new to television and acting. So, she's familiar with the right things to say to certain questions. Recently at the launch of a serial , the actress, dressed for her role in a pretty salwar kameez, was asked what she liked to wear. "Whatever it is, it has to be comfortable," she said. "I am usually dressed in jeans and a tee, but I love Indian clothes. I would rather dress up in a sexy saree than a short mini skirt," she says.
    But in many other ways, the actress, who has also featured in
Kasautii Zindagi Kay, is very different from the characters she portrays in sob operas. Part-Punjabi and part-Maharashtrian Christian, she says people often expect her to be a foreigner, with a name like Jennifer. "I don't have any difficulty speaking Hindi or Punjabi because my mom's a Punjabi," she says. "I am a mix of a lot of cultures and so it's not hard to play a typical Indian character."
    Jennifer started her acting career at the age of 12, but gave it a break to complete her studies. She did a movie Raja Ko Rani Se Pyaar Ho Gaya and then went on to TV. Jennifer's worked with most top names in the TV industry, but says she has no favourites. However, she does have favourites when it comes to music. "I love music. Depending
    upon my mood, I listen to hard rock when I feel morose and pop and hip-hop when I feel upbeat. I would also love to go for a holiday, but I have no time. I deserve a holiday!" she exclaims with a laugh. So, does this lady have a special someone in her life? "No," she reveals. "I want a man who is intelligent and witty. Loving, caring, and all that jazz is the obvious part, but he has got to be very classy," she says firmly.

Marthika thumbnail
I never plan things,' Jennifer

14 Aug 2007, 0000 hrs IST,Chitra Unnithan,TNN

Jennifer who started her career with Bollywood is doing great in television these days.
She acted with Aishwarya and Abhishek Bachchan in Kuchh Naa Kaho when she was 14. Jennifer Winget, who has a couple of movies and a few popular television serials to her credit, feels great to have worked with Bollywood's 'it' couple. "I was only a young, starry-eyed kid then. It was fun working with them. And it feels nice to see them together."

Jennifer started off in films as a child star. "I worked as a child star in Raja Ko Rani Se Pyaar Ho Gaya . I enjoyed working so much that I decided to make it a profession," says this young actress whose dream role would have to be a combination of Black and Mili .

Jennifer is not averse to doing item numbers, provided they are, "Sober. I've not really thought about doing films at this point. But if some significant role comes my way, I may consider taking it up."

Right now, this young lady is happy being a part of the television industry. She says, "I am happy doing television shows. I am grateful to Ekta Kapoor for giving me the launchpad that has fetch me so much recognition ( Kartika and then Kasauti Zindagi Kay )."

Acting, Jennifer insists has made her a better person. "I was very naive when I entered the industry. I took people at their face value. Today, I am more confident and can distinguish between genuine and fake people ," says this half Punjabi, half Catholic lass.
Jennifer claims to be quite close to her family. "I've been brought up like that. I don't do anything without discussing it with my parents. It's good to have communication on a daily basis with one's folks," she says. The pretty girl who shot to fame with her character Sneha in Kasauti Zindagi Kay has fans wondering whether she's single.
"Yes," she laughs and adds, "But I am not looking forward to any relationship in the near future. I would want my guy to have all those qualities any ordinary girl looks for." So, what are her long term plans? "I have never really planned anything. I live for the day. But I would want to be successful in everything I do," she says. 
Marthika thumbnail

Q How different is Ganga of Sangam from Sneha of Kasauti?
Ganga is an innocent and simple small town girl. Her dream is to fulfill her father's wish of building a school in his hometown. She is like a normal person who takes everything in her stride. Sneha, on the other hand, has been through two marriages. The character has been through different stages of womanhood. Though she is single she does not depend on her family for financial support. Instead, she chooses to be independent and also wants her daughter to be like her.

Q Which role do you prefer?
Both are good but I think Ganga is more challenging because it's a strong and powerful character and it has more variations to it. She experiences some really great as well as sad moments in life. Emoting takes a toll on me and at the end of the day, I feel totally exhausted.

Q Does Ganga succeed in fulfilling her father's dream?     
That I can't reveal but Ganga's journey is full of good moments mixed with heartbreak. She had always been close to her parents, particularly her father, but because of an incident everything gets shattered and she is left alone.

Q Who comes to her rescue? Is it Chaitanya Chowdhary who plays a property developer?
Well, she falls in love and he becomes an important part of her journey.

Q Tell us about the love triangle and heartbreaks Ganga goes through.
The love triangle is there. There are heartbreaks too. But Ganga never stops. Like the sacred river, she continues with her journey and works on her dream.

Q What's happening to Sneha of Kasauti now? Has the character got lost somewhere after the generation leap?
Right now the focus is on the new generation but Sneha is very much around.

Q You started your career with films. How did television happen?
I did my first film, Raja Ko Rani Se Pyaar Ho Gaya, when I was 12-years-old and it was great fun. But I went back to my studies after doing Kuch Na Kaho.  I really didn't take a break from acting because while studying, I did a couple of ads. I didn't plan to do serials but I was offered a role in Shakalaka Boom and that's how television happened. Besides Kasauti I have done Kkusum and Koi Dil Mein Hai. But it's Kasauti which has given me all the name and fame.

Q Apart from acting what are the other things you like to do?
I love music, reading philosophical books and playing tennis in the morning. I also like to hang out with my friends. Sanjeet Bedi is one of my best friends. He is so cute.

Marthika thumbnail
Jennifer Winget who's popular as Kasauti Zindagi Kay's Sneha has bagged the lead role in Fox Television's new soap Sangam to be aired on Star Plus. The actress who's playing a mother to a grown-up girl in Kasauti..., couldn't have asked for a better break...
Is Sangam your first lead role?
No, I had done a Balaji serial Karthika, aired on Hungama, in which I played the title role. It was a very good experience. I learnt a lot in this serial.ng part of a daily serial, Since it was a daily soap, I was in every scene and that helped me gain confidence in front of the camera. I also gained a little knowledge about direction and camera angles. I think I grew up with this serial. Sangam, however, is my first lead role in a Star Plus serial and it is entirely a different role, which I think I am fortunate to get. Its about this small-town girl Ganga who does her best to fulfuil her father's dream.

Not many people know about your Karthika...
Yeah, that's because the serial was basically targetted at the youth and was on air for seven months. It didn't get the kind of response it deserved. But it was a very good show where I played this 16 year old girl who wanted to be a pop singer and idolised a academic man. It was a cute Archie comic kind of a story...

What is so special about Ganga that differentiates her from other protagonists?
Ganga is this sweet, simple, innocent but ambitious girl. Though she has her own aspirations, her main aim is to fulfill her father's dream, that of opening a school in the town. For Ganga, her father is the epitome of everything in life. One incident, however, shatters the entire family and with it her ambitions and aspirations bite dust. Yet, she decides to pursue her father's dream. Like river Ganga, which flows over all obstacles, my Ganga faces all the hurdles and overcomes them. It's the journey of a fun-loving, lively girl transforming into a mature, understanding woman. A complete role and a beautiful character replete with a myriad emotions, it requires so much energy that at the end of the day's shoot I feel exhausted but content .

How did you land this role?
I had a meeting with the Fox people but initially, because of certain issues I wasn't doing the role. However, after a month it came back to me.

And Jennifer was destined to play Ganga...
(Laughs) Yeah, I know it sounds odd but you could say that.

Do you relate to the character?
I relate to the emotional side of Ganga. I feel Ganga has to go through a lot in life and she has so much strength. She teaches me a lot. I am extremely moody, if I am in a mood to have fun, I can be the joker, in not, I will just sit in the corner. In comparision, Ganga is full of life.

Now that you are doing another daily, will you continue to play Sneha in Kasautii Zindagi Kay?
Sneha has got me a lot of recognition and money. It (Sneha) is still on. I entered the serial two years ago when it took its first generation leap. Sneha comes from a sophisticated family and has a mind of her own. In between she had one through many lows, become a drug-addict and ended up losing her first and second husband. Now she is the mother of a grown-up girl.

So, this serial has come at an opportune time where you are playing yourself?