Telly actress Lubna Salim (Leela)robbed

virgoqueen thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
shocked: Lubna Salim and husband Salim Arif (right)

Lubna robbed

TV actress and hubby were victims of biker thieves on Juhu-Versova Link Road

By: Shaheen Parkar

Telly actress Lubna Salim (Leela of Ba Bahoo aur Baby) and her theatre director hubby Salim Arif (of plays Aap Ki Soniya, Taj Mahal Ka Tender) were robbed on the Juhu-Versova Link Road by two bikers recently. The couple was on their way home at Oshiwara from Prithvi Theatre, Juhu, after staging their play Kacche Lamhe that also stars Kiran Karmarkar and Harsh Chhaya.
Gang on the prowl
The incident happened on July 5 at around 11.30 pm. The couple lost valuables worth Rs 40,000 in a fraction of second. "We were in an auto-rickshaw and near the HDFC Bank suddenly two bikers waved us to stop. I was carrying a small bag with me. It contained my play's outfits, a Tommy Hilfiger watch, a Nokia phone and some jewellery. It was on my lap and one of the bikers halted on the side where I was sitting and snatched it from me. We screamed and even chased them for a while but they zoomed off in the by-lanes. We dialed 100 but just could not get through," says Lubna who also suffered slight bruises in the scuffle with the miscreant when he was tugging the bag.
This incident has left the couple in a state of shock. "Initially we thought it was our play's light man and his assistant who left along with us from Prithvi on the bikes. But when they came towards us, we thought perhaps the auto driver knew them. They were dressed fully in black and appeared extremely young. We did doubt the auto driver, but he pleaded innocence and chased the bikers for a while till the Four Bungalows Market Road before the thieves disappeared." Luckily for Lubna, her purse containing cash and credit cards was not in the bag. "I had it behind me on the seat so that was saved."
Beware people
The couple did not file a complaint at the police station. "What is the point my stuff has gone? But now my perception of Mumbai being a safe place has changed. I have travelled alone after shoots and play's rehearsals even at midnight. But this incident has put me off. There is a gang operating. I would like to alert the public about the Juhu-Versova Link Road happenings."