How to Motivate Yourself to Work Out...

CuteFairy91 thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

How to Motivate Yourself to Work Out

It can be difficult to work out but keep your eye on the prize.

Most importantly, have fun. If you do not enjoy running, there is no reason for you to run laps for exercise. Find something you like. The list of different kinds of exercises are nearly endless. The only really important thing is to get your body moving and your heart rate up. Change it up. Even if you have a routine you enjoy, mix it up from time to time. If you bike, try a new trail. If you swim, try a different pool, or a trip to the lake. Try entirely different exercises from time to time. You can check out a tape at the library and try yoga or kickboxing for an afternoon. This will not only keep you interested, it will break your muscles out of their routine and help produce better results. Make an appointment. For many people, going to a class or seeing a trainer at a certain time is helpful. Even if you exercise alone, make an appointment with yourself. Write on your calendar "8:00 run in park for thirty minutes" Get a buddy. Exercising with a friend introduces a positive kind of peer pressure. You will be more likely to go to the gym if you know someone is waiting there for you. Talking and laughing while exercising will also keep you from being bored. If you really don't want to exercise with anyone, you can have an indirect support group, simply by talking with your friends about your fitness goals, or by joining a group (such as TOPS or Weight Watchers) either in real life, or on the internet. Pay for stuff up front. Don't go overboard, but if you have the option of paying for an exercise class one at a time or in a block, pay for the block. Knowing that you will be wasting money if you don't show up may motivate you. Get appropriate clothing. Trying to workout if you don't have the clothes for it is frustrating. Make sure the clothing looks nice, however. If you don't like the way your clothing looks, it will stop your motivation in its tracks. Gather everything you need to work out in one place: an ipod, athletic shoes, a towel... whatever. Walking around the house trying to find stuff is a good time to lose your resolve. Put everything together in your gym bag. When you finish working out, take out things that need to be laundered and replace them immediately. Many people start out with enthusiasm and lose faith when they don't see dramatic results right away. Remind yourself of the small steps you are taking. Be realistic with yourself. Real change takes a long time. It may help you to have a visual reminder of what you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to get back to the size you were when you got married, put a picture of yourself on your honeymoon in your wallet. If you are trying to be healthier for your grandkids, put a picture of them in your gym bag.
  1. Join a team. This combines several of the above principles. If you can find a sport you enjoy, you may find working out very easy.

Tips   

If you like listening to music, listen to music while you work out. This can be very helpful to many people. Before and after you go on a run, stretch and do a warm-up or warm-down.
  • Get in shape for others, but more importantly, GET IN SHAPE FOR YOURSELF.

Warnings 

• A little economic pressure can be a good thing, but don't go overboard! It is rarely a good idea to spend a ton of money on exercise equipment and clothes all at once.

http://www.wikihow.com/Motivate-Yourself-to-Work-Out

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MrsKaranGrover thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
wowwwwwwww! 👏 👏 👏 thanx alot! 😃 ..i realli needed dis! 😳
ajeebhotum thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Fabulous tips, Amna! 👏 Thnak-you! 😛
*Engel* thumbnail
thanks Amna!!! awesome tips 😃
farisss4 thumbnail
wow cool advices..thnks a lot yar..ill definitely stick 2 dis.. 😛
hey thanks buddy 👏 👏

I just enjoy my work...my fellow colleague r so warm & frndly...i hate weekends i a miss my office 😆
indian1002 thumbnail
ohhhhhhhhh

VERY HELPFUL
thanks youuu
👏
sweethoney06 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Wow Aamna! helpful tips thx 👏
Cool_Dipti thumbnail
Wow!..What splendid tips! 😆 ..This sure has motivated me.. 😆 thanks! 😛 Edited by RAINA_8 - 16 years ago