Alisha Chinai - We're paid peanuts

uknaik99 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
We're paid peanuts'

Alisha Chinai lashes out at the music industry

Post-Kajra re Alisha Chinai seems to be rocking or so you'd like to believe. But the singer has another story to tell. "Playback singers always get relegated to the sidelines. They continue to be underdogs of the music industry. We really need to be paid better. I've been fighting for 10 years. I've always maintained a parallel music career outside the movies. In the movies, they think they're doing me a favour. An average film star gets Rs 2 crore. A playback singer gets Rs 20-25,000. Even when a song like Kajra re becomes a runaway hit I don't benefit. We're paid peanuts," she says.

Nowadays, Alisha demands and expects her price. She says, 'Of course a lot of producers settle for a mediocre voice. I'm quite happy singing my ten songs a year. Singing less keeps my voice fresh."

Alisha is releasing another non-film album in May. One of the tracks is bound to create a stir. Alisha says, "There's a very audacious and upfront song called 'Shut Up And Kiss Me'. I hope people see it with a sense of humour. It's sexy but not raunchy. So no raised eyebrows, I hope."

Years ago Alisha had created a sensation with the song 'Sexy sexy' for Karisma Kapoor in Khuddar. The words had to be changed to appease the moralists. "I don't think we'll have to change the words this time. I hope I don't come across looking   stupid. The album has been recorded completely in the UK. So it's got a crossover sound."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ChameliKaYaar thumbnail
I feel for them...They are still highly underpaid....The marketvalue in may opinion is going to either stay same or reduce with the glut of singers in the market thanks to SRGMP (and now 2 of them) and Indian Idol kind of programs...
Surpremi thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Good Article Kavita:

It is Economics 101 -

In case of Singers - Too much Supply coupled with fairly low demand which equates to low prices.

In case of Heroes/Heroines it is the reverse - Too much Demand and the Actors control the supply by doing fewer films which equates to higher pricing.

Abh inko kaun samjhayey πŸ˜‰  πŸ˜†

mermaid_QT thumbnail
When they were getting paid cashews, someone was being paid peanuts too .. 😳

Circle of life. IMHO, one should feel blessed that they shared the glory at some point in time. Many talented people never get that opportunity either.. 😭 and always get paid peanuts. Not judging anyone, but just shared a thought.  Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
wite_rainbow thumbnail

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

When they were getting paid cashews, someone was being paid peanuts too .. 😳

Circle of life. IMHO, one should feel blessed that they shared the glory at some point in time. Many talented people never get that opportunity either.. 😭 and always get paid peanuts. Not judging anyone, but just shared a thought. 

very well said MQT aka SBπŸ˜‰

some rather get paid peanuts than no nutsπŸ˜‰. as for alisha how many did actually know her before the kajra re fame? (rhetorical qs)

simtara thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: wite_rainbow

some rather get paid peanuts than no nutsπŸ˜‰. as for alisha how many did actually know her before the kajra re fame? (rhetorical qs)

Responding to the rhetorica... me me me! I own both her albums (the old stuff) ... on cassette no less! πŸ˜†

And the bhukkad in me is considering the perks of being paid in peanuts... LOL

Is this true for all singers, or those who aren't as mainstream. Consider this... if Sonu can throw a fit over not getting to be the main attraction of a tour, wouldn't he have had something to say about a poor pay package as well? Just how good/bad is the pay for the likes of Kumar Sanu, Shaan, Sunidhi Chauhan, Shreya Ghoshal, Alka Yagnik, Abhijeetda, etc.?

mermaid_QT thumbnail

when we were young ( long long ago πŸ˜†πŸ˜† ), Alisha had some 1/cos c numbers.  One of her biggest hits - "Made in india" featuring milind Soman.   The album was good 😳. 

Another hit number from movie Mr India-
"Kaatein nahee kat te ye din yeh raat,
kehnee thee tumse jo dil ki baat..
Lo aaj mai kehtee hoon... I love you"

PS  - @ SB - I recently dumped baby bachchan.  πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
wite_rainbow thumbnail

when we were young ( long long ago πŸ˜†πŸ˜† ), Alisha had some 1/cos c numbers.  One of her biggest hits - "Made in india" featuring milind Soman.   The album was good 😳. 

Another hit number from movie Mr India-
"Kaatein nahee kat te ye din yeh raat,
kehnee thee tumse jo dil ki baat..
Lo aaj mai kehtee hoon... I love you"

PS  - @ SB - I recently dumped baby bachchan.  πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

oh god that song...wish u hadnt reminded me of such atrocityπŸ€’πŸ˜†

wait...how is made in india and mr. india related?πŸ˜• cept the indian part ofcourseπŸ˜†

ps. @ ditching SB...so its back to square one?πŸ˜‰

mermaid_QT thumbnail

oh god that song...wish u hadnt reminded me of such atrocityπŸ€’πŸ˜†

wait...how is made in india and mr. india related?πŸ˜• cept the indian part ofcourseπŸ˜†

ps. @ ditching SB...so its back to square one?πŸ˜‰

I never left square one πŸ˜†.  Baby B was a decoration πŸ˜†πŸ˜†- a medal for being qt πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

LOL @ Mr India and made in India-  No relation there, one is pop album and one is movie and haha, I thought of the same while typing.  funny u made a dig at that πŸ˜†
wite_rainbow thumbnail

I never left square one πŸ˜†.  Baby B was a decoration πŸ˜†πŸ˜†- a medal for being qt πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

LOL @ Mr India and made in India-  No relation there, one is pop album and one is movie and haha, I thought of the same while typing.  funny u made a dig at that πŸ˜†

...am glad u said dumped him...else id have thought whatever did QT did to have the medal be snatchedπŸ˜‰ of course i wasnt thinking about aish.

Mr India happens to be the most watched, cherished and favourite movies of all times...and Made in India almost most regretted piece of music minus the eye candy we know as milind somanπŸ˜‰...so the dig was inevitableπŸ˜ƒ