Rakesh Paul in an accident

dures thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Rakesh Paul in an accident
   By: Vickey Lalwani
   April 10, 2007

The actor rammed his car into a truck after it halted abruptly, severely damaging the front; miraculously, he escaped unscathed

Shocked: Rakesh Paul
Last week, TV actor Rakesh Paul (The Comedy Show Ha Ha) had a near-fatal accident when he rammed his Hyundai Accent into a truck on the Mulund-Goregaon Link Road at 11 pm on Thursday.

When the truck came to an abrupt halt in front of him, Paul drove straight into the vehicle. Before he could recover, the truck driver sped away.

Paul says that his car was smashed from the front. "When I realised what was about to happen, I pressed my foot down on the brake and closed my eyes.

I thought I was going to lose my sight as the powder from the smashed windshield was all over my face.

When I realised that I could see, I thought some other part of my body must have been damaged. I moved my hands, legs and head and could not believe that everything was intact," he says, shaken.

Insensitive crowd

The Aftermath: A view of the damaged car
When Paul reached home, he parked his car and rushed upstairs to have a look at himself in the mirror. "I was still not convinced that I had escaped unscathed.

A few minutes later, Rajev (his brother) and Delnaaz (his sister-in-law) rang the doorbell (they had just returned and seeing Rakesh's damaged car, ran up to check on him).

Thank God that Sunaina (his wife) was not in town that day (she was in London), else she would have been sitting beside me in the car. God knows what would have happened to her as the left side of the car was far more damaged than the right one," he says, heaving a sigh of relief.

Paul rues the fact that he did not note down the number of the truck. "There were no lights on the rear of the truck, so I doubt I could have read the number in any case, but at least he should have had the courtesy to come out and see what had happened to me.

I understand that he must have feared the worst, but still, how can someone be so insensitive?"

Still shattered

Worse still, nobody bothered to stop or help Paul. "At least 40 cars passed me by before I gathered myself and restarted my car, but not a single one even slowed down.

I did hear people saying 'accident, accident' but that's about it. No f****** b****** had time and feelings to stop and check. This is Mumbai," he says dejectedly.
Paul adds, "I could not come out of my house for three days after that accident.

I lost my confidence. If I hadn't been wearing my seat belt that day, I wouldn't be talking to you right now. Even though it's been a week now, I still get nightmares that glass pieces from the windshield are flying on my face."