harassment while traveling

peachesnplums thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 18 years ago

http://hemanginigupta.blogspot.com/2005/06/train-to-chennai. html 

it is quite sickening to read this. however, i laud hemangi, whatever she did takes courage.

we all know so many who choose to ignore it, out of fear, embarrasment, creating a commotion and various other reasons. and i am not talking only about victims, but also the onlookers, or for that matter even our society. and those who do take a step ahead, sadly, have to face obstacles at almost every step.

i would like to encourage everyone to discuss their thoughts and suggestions, and also to raise awareness among people, specially womenfolk. very few know  what to do when this happens to them. you can begin by talking to more girls, asking them to raise their voice when someone messes with them, being on their guard, or to be ready with a sharp object while traveling, specially alone, to be on the the safe side.

also just a request, try to avoid blaming a particular country. remember, some one have been unfrotunate in all the countries, from India to Afghansitan to US. Agreed it may occur less in some places and more somewhere else. Point is - it happens - and it should be everyone's goal to uproot this cause. and i guess creating awareness and asking yourself to be prepared and strong is a good start.

Edited by vijay - 18 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nadiamouri thumbnail
wow ......... this article was very good .... cheers to her  braveness
vazz thumbnail

It takes a lot of courage to do what she did.  Filing a report is not easy as we start to think about the repurcussions and come away doing nothing and this maniac will start to do this again to another girl and think that he can get away with this.

What I am surprised is that not one person tried to comfort the lady... the older generation keeps complaining that the new generation is not responsible and does not have any care... what did the the older generation do in this case?  the elderly couple continued to sleep as though nothing happened.

charu_81 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I salute that girl...She is so brave...and thank god she didn't withdrew her complaint...Her experiences will encourage all women to go forward and fight...
frosty thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
I agree that girl is SO brave and I salute her for giving a voice to so many
women in India. Did anyone read the Saamna editorial that the link on the
site led to. OH MY GOD!!! I want to smack man who wrote that right
across his face. Give him one TIGHT slap. He writes that women dress
provocatively and that is why men rape them. The NERVE of that man. No
man has the right to rape a womna irrespective of how she dresses. When
will men understand that if a woman wears a short skirt, she is NOT
giving them the invitation to rape her. A newspaper publishes an editorial
like this should be BANNED.
charu_81 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: frosty

I agree that girl is SO brave and I salute her for giving a voice to so many
women in India. Did anyone read the Saamna editorial that the link on the
site led to. OH MY GOD!!! I want to smack man who wrote that right
across his face. Give him one TIGHT slap. He writes that women dress
provocatively and that is why men rape them. The NERVE of that man. No
man has the right to rape a womna irrespective of how she dresses. When
will men understand that if a woman wears a short skirt, she is NOT
giving them the invitation to rape her. A newspaper publishes an editorial
like this should be BANNED.

I cent percent agree with u.He didn't spare even a ten year old girl..He says these girls of about 10 year old girls also wear tight pants to attract boys..This is disgusting...Actually i wanted to comment on his words...But there was no such provision given on that link...Yes really I want to give him a tight slap...

Edited by charu_81 - 18 years ago