Yeh mera diwanapan hai-Lyricist

paljay thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Let us start this thread with Shailendra.

Shailendra.

Birth: 30th August 1923
Birthplace: Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Profession: Poet, Bollywood Film song Lyricists

Born in Rawalpindi on 30th August 1923 as Shankardas Kesrilal Shailendra, Shailendra was the eldest of the four sons of Parvati Devi and Sri Kesrilal. During his childhood days his family moved to Mathura for good but the accidental death of his mother after the shift caused a deep pain for Shailendra, which almost turned him an atheist.

Shailendra started his career with the orthodox method of joining the government organization and lead his secure life. His job in Indian Railways brought him to the city of Bombay in 1947, when the Indian freedom struggle was at its best. The stereotype and technical aspect of his job was totally out of line with is artistic nature. He spent more of his duty hours writing poetry than toiling in the workshop. His Incharge always used to complain about his working habits and was the cause of general resentment.

Shailendra's end days

It is quite ironical that for the man who loved life so much, the spectra of death always haunted him. He was obsessed by death. There was no fear involved, but a kind of helplessness drew him towards it. His producing Teesri Kasam caused him several heartaches and it was also the ultimate cause of his death. But what bothered him was not the film's failure at the box-office, but that his investment in friends he trusted and loved went wrong. Shailendra was admitted to the hospital on December 13 1966, but on his way he decided to stop at the famous cottage at the RK Studios to call on Raj Kapoor, where he promised R.K. that he would complete the lyrics for 'Jeena yahan marna yahan' for Mera Naam Joker. That was one promise he could never keep, for Shailendra died on the following day, which also happened to be R.K's birthday. Reading the following lines from 'Anari' can see his obsession for death:

"Ke mar ke bhi kisi ko yaad aaenge
Kisi ke aansuon mein muskuraenge
Kahega phool har kali se baar baar
Jeena isi ka naam hai"

Lyricist Shailendra is most remembered for his outstanding achievements with Raj Kapoor and Shankar Jaikishan in almost all the R.K. films. His death on December 14, 1966 saw one of the leading lights of the film industry extinguished.

Edited by paljay - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

paljay thumbnail
Awards

Shailendra won the Filmfare Award for Best Lyricist thee times.

* 1958 Yeh mera deewanapan hai (Yahudi)
    * 1959 Sab kuch seekha hamne (Anari)
    * 1968 Main gaoon tum so jaao (Brahmachari)

Shailendra's most popular songs

* Ramaiya Vastavaiya (Shri 420)
    * Mud Mud Ke Na Dekh (Shri 420)
    * Mera Joota Hai Japani (Shri 420)
    * Aaj Phir Jeene Ki (Guide)
    * Gata Rahe Mera Dil (Guide)
    * Piya Tose Naina Laage Re (Guide)
    * Kya Se Kya Ho Gaya (Guide)
    * Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega (Sangam)
    * Dost Dost Na Raha (Sangam)
    * Sab Kuchh Seekha hamne (Anari)
    * Kisi Ki Muskurahaton Pe/Jeen isi ka naam hai (Anari)
    * Dil Ki Nazar Se (Anari)

paljay thumbnail

Hasrat Jaipuri

Hasrat Jaipuri's real name was Iqbal Husain. Till 1939, he lived in hometown Jaipur where he studied English till 'medium level' and then acquired his 'taalim' in Urdu and Persian from his learned grandfather, Fida Husain. He began writing verse as late as the age of 20, and around that time, he fell in love with a neighborhood girl called Radha. "Love knows no mazhab or dharam," he told me. "It is not at all necessary that a Muslim boy must fall in love only with a Muslim girl. My love was silent, but I wrote a poem for her, 'Yeh mera prem patra padh kar, ke tum naaraaz na hona.'" And that 'letter' may never have been delivered to Radha, but Raj Kapoor was to later deliver it to the world as the perennial mantra for lovers of all generations in his Sangam (1964).

In Mumbai, Hasrat Jaipuri took the secure job of a bus conductor and satiated his creative urges by participating in mushairas. The late Prithviraj Kapoor heard his verse and recommended him to his son Raj Kapoor who was planning a musical love story with two new composers, Shanker - Jaikishan. "We met at the canteen of the Royal Opera House where Prithvirajji used to stage his plays, and Rajji signed me for Barsaat. My first recorded song was "Jiya beqaraar hai" tuned by Shanker. The second was "Chhod gaye baalam", my first song with Jaikishan, and my first duet."

This association continued till 1971. "After Jai's death and the failures of Mera Naam Joker and Kal Aaj Aur Kal, Rajsaab changed his music team. I was happy that he left us to go to the only other great team in our films - Laxmikant Pyarelal and Anand Bakshi. But he wanted to call me back for Prem Rog. That did not work out because someone recommended Amir Qazalbash to Rajsaab. But I was back with "Sun sahiba sun" which Rajsaab told me to write to one of his own tunes which he had used as the English song "I love you" in Sangam. He then called me for three songs for Henna, but after Rajsaab's death, the music director conspired to scrap them and replace them with his own lyrics." This was the only time I found Hasrat Jaipuri bitter: "They were my last link with Raj Kapoor and RK," he said, his voice brimming with a queer mix of anger, grief and resignation.

The eternal realist, Hasrat Jaipuri told me how lucky he was to have married a woman who advised him to invest his earnings in property. "Today, the rents that come in from my tenants keep me comfortable so that I am not forced to work for my rozi-roti and my family. I accept assignments that are offered and don't have to run after films, music directors and music companies for work. I am very proud of my children - two sons and a daughter - but the art of poetry is God-gifted and cannot be learnt, and they have not been gifted with it."

He won innumerable awards, honours and mementos. Among them were two Filmfare trophies (for 'Baharon phool barsao' from Suraj and 'Zindagi ek safar hai suhana' from Andaz) and two awards - the Doctorate from the World University Round-Table and the Josh Mahilabadi award from the Urdu Conference for his literary work as a poet. Also the Dr Ambedkar award for a film song, 'Jhanak jhanak tori baaje payaliya' from Mere Huzoor, which was written with a blend of Hindi and Brij Bhasha. Apropos that, the poet once said, "Hindi and Urdu are like two great and inseparable sisters. Even my books on poetry are in Hindi as well as Urdu." His latest published compilation was "Abshaar-E-Ghazal."

About 350 films and 2000 recorded songs old, Hasrat Jaipuri's last releases were Saazish with Jatin-Lalit and Sher Khan (with Bappi Lahiri) last year, and at the time of his death he was working on a few small films and a book of shaayari. "I never discriminated between small and big films and composers. I have the biggest list of music directors among any lyricist - from SJ and Sajjad down to Anand-Milind, Nadeem-Shravan and Jatin-Lalit," says the man who was master of romance even amidst his versatility. And without being arrogant about it, Hasrat Jaipuri did realize his own worth. 'Humne who naqsh chhod hai that mywork will always be remembered even after I have gone,"he told me once with the honest precision of a scientist stating a proven fact. And even if you consider only the crme-de-la-crme of his work, like "Zindagi ek safar hai suhana" (Andaz), "Teri pyari pyari soorat ko" (Sasural), "Pankh hote to ud aati re" (Sehra), "Tere khayalon meinhum" (Geet Gaya Pattharon Ne), " Tu kahan yeh bataa" (Tere Ghar KeSaamne), "Muhabbat aisi dhadkan hai" (Anarkali), "Tu mere saamne hai,teri zulfein hai khuli" (Suhagan), "Nain se nain" (Jhanak Jhanak Paayal Baaje), "Ehsan tera hoga mujh par" (Junglee), "Teri zulfon se" (Jab PyarKisise Hota Hai) and "Tum mujhe yoon bhula na paaoge" (Pagla Kahin Ka) and add a whole range of songs like "Sayonara sayonara" (Love In Tokyo)," Aao twist karen" (Bhoot Bungla)." Ajhoon na aaye baalma" (Sanjh AurSavera) and "Duniya bananewale" (from his friend and closest associate Shailendra's production Teesri Kasam), one cannot but accept that the maestro was right. As he wrote once, "Tum mujhe yoon bhula na paaoge/ Jab kabhi bhi sunogegeet mere/ Sang sang tum bhi gungunaaoge/ Haan, tum mujhe yoon bhula na paaoge."

Excerpts from an article in Mid-day Mumbai by Rajiv Vijayakar

paljay thumbnail
Hasrat Jaipuri

Awards

* Filmfare Best Lyricist Award - 1972, for Zindagi ek safar hai suhana (Andaz)
    * Filmfare Best Lyricist Award - 1966, for Baharon phool barsao (Suraj)
    * Josh Mahilabadi Award, from Urdu Conference (for Urdu poetry)
    * Dr. Ambedkar Award, for Jhanak jhanak tori baaje payaliya (Mere Huzoor), a Brajbhasha song

Hasrat was also awarded a Doctorate (World University Round Table)

Famous songs

* Zindagi ek safar hai suhana (Andaz)
    * Teri pyari pyari soorat ko (Sasural)
    * '"Pankh hote to ud aati re (Sehra)
    * Tere khayalon meinhum (Geet Gaya Pattharon Ne)
    * Ehsan tera hoga mujh par (Junglee)
    * Tum mujhe yoon bhula na paaoge (Pagla Kahin Ka)
    * Sayonara sayonara (Love In Tokyo)
    * Aao twist karen (Bhoot Bangla)
    * Ajhoon na aaye baalma (Sanjh Aur Savera)
    * Duniya bananewale (Teesri Kasam)
    * Sun Sahiba Sun (Ram Teri Ganga Maili)

manjujain thumbnail
Pallavi ji are we trying to put info about other lyricist too, so can I put for Indeevar?
paljay thumbnail
Majrooh Sultanpuri

Asrar ul Hasan Khan (Majrooh's real name) was born in Sultanpur, Uttar Pradesh in India in 1919. After an education in Urdu, Persian and Arabic, he formally studied the Unani system of medicine and graduated in 1938 as a 'hakim'.

He practised medicine for a year before he started his career as a full-time poet. His mentor, or 'ustad'was Jigar Moradabadi. In 1945, he wrote his first film song "Gam diye mushtaqil...", which was sung by K.L.Saigal and catapulted him to the forefront of film lyricists, a career which spanned more than five decades. His contributions to films and to the world of Urdu poetry were recognized and rewarded with the Dadasahib Phalke award (1994) and the Iqbal Sammaan (1993) respectively.

Majrooh Sultanpuri was among the foremost poets of modern progressive poetry. He believed that no great art was possible without social content. Ali Sardar Jafri in his foreword for Majrooh's book "Never Mind Your Chains" calls him "younger brother in poetry and struggle". Majrooh was not always pleased with the association of his poetry with his film work. However, this was more a reaction to society's hypocritical attitude of looking down on anything connected with the film world, than with any basis in fact.

The Best of Majrooh Sultanpuri

Babuji dhire chalna      Aar Paar
Aankhon hi aankhon mein ishara ho gaya      C.I.D.
Mana janab ne pukara nahi      Paying Guest
Chahunga mein tujhe      Dosti
Kabhi to milegi      Aarti
Jaane kahan mera      Mr. & Mrs. 55
Aankhon hi aankhon mein      C.I.D.
Kabhi aar kabhi paar      Aar Paar
Ab kya misal doo      Aarti
Chod do aanchal      Paying Guest
Udhar tum hasin ho      Mr. & Mrs. 55
Baar baar ohe kya samjhye      Aarti
Yaad aa gayi o nashili nigahen      Manzil
Chori ho gayi raat      Ishaara

Awards

Iqbal Samman      Madhya Pradesh Government's highest literary award
Dada Sahab Phalke Award      Government of India's highest award conferred on an artiste associated with films
Film Writers Association Award      Indian Film Industry
Film Journalist Award      Writing for Films
Uttar Pradesh Hindi-Urdu Sahitya Award      Hindi and Urdu Literature
All India Journalist Award      Writings

paljay thumbnail

Originally posted by: manjujain

Pallavi ji are we trying to put info about other lyricist too, so can I put for Indeevar?

Ha Manjuji, bahot sare lyricist hai Bollywood me sub log likhenge to accha rahega, mazayega.
manjujain thumbnail

Indeevar

Indeevar

Birthplace: Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh
The man who penned the title track for the Rajesh Khanna – Sharmila Tagor hit, 'Safar', 'Zindagi ka safar, Hai yeh kaisa safar Koi samjha nahi … Koi jaana nahi …' is Indeevar. Unluckily enough, Indeevar didn't get many opportunities like this to pen down these quality songs. His career span is spread over four decades with a quantum of chartbusters only. The very reason could be his compromise on quality on work for his survival in this Indian Music Industry. Born in Jhansi, Madhya Pradesh as Shyamalal Bahu Rai, he came to the city of dreams, Mumbai with the clear intention of being a lyricist. He got his first assignment for the movie called 'Double Face' (1946). To be in the business, he took every assignments and grabbed every film that came his way and didn't mind working for 'B' and 'C' grade projects. He got his first big break in the form of 'Malhaar' (1951). 'Bade Armaan Se Rakha Hai Balam Teri Kasam', a popular composition that retains a refreshing feel even today. But even this song couldn't ensure instant success. Indevaar clicked He finally shot into the big league with Babubhai Mistry's musical extravaganza, Parasmani (1963), which also launched the career of music duo Laxmikant-Pyarelal. In subsequent years, Indeevar forged a strong bond with a select set of filmmakers and music directors, that resulted in a repertoire of music that was eminently hummable, subtly evocative and definitely unforgettable. One of his most creative and fruitful alliances was with Manoj Kumar, who first signed him on for Upkar (1967). Indeevar and Kalyanji-Anandji injected the film with a fine blend of soulful emotion and patriotic euphoria through songs like 'Kasme Vaade Pyaar Wafa'. Equally powerful were compositions like 'Dulhan Chali, O Pehen Chali' and 'Koi Jab Tumhara Hriday Tod De' from Purab Aur Paschim (1970). Earlier, in 1968, he had culled an awesome collection of soulful lyrics for Govind Saraiya's Saraswati Chandra. Together with his long-standing partners, Kalyanji-Anandji he produced unforgettable numbers such as 'Chhod De Saari Duniya Kisi Ke Liye', 'Chandan Sa Badan' and 'Main To Bhool Chali Babul Ka Des'. Indevaar Mera Naam In direct contrast to this classic score, the trio set an upbeat mood for Vijay Anand's musical hit, Johny Mera Naam (1970) with zany songs like 'Nafrat Karne Walon Ke' and 'Pal Bhar Ke Liye Koi Hame Pyaar Kar Le' and 'O, O Mere Raja'. Two of Indeevar's best-remembered films were made the same year. While Manmohan Desai's Sachcha Jhootha produced 'Meri Pyaari Beheniya Banegi Dulhaniya', which has since become a permanent fixture in every wedding band, Asit Sen's Safar had Indeevar's poetic juices churning out wonders like 'Jeevan Se Bhari Teri Aankhen' and 'Jo Tumko Ho Pasand'. Throughout the 1970s, his winning combination with Kalyanji-Anandji grew stronger and continued all the way up to Qurbani's' (1980) 'Hum Tumhe Chaahte Hain Aise'. With the arrival of the disco beat and the Bhappi Lahiri wave, Indeevar put poetry on the backburner and stood up to the task of delivering mindless lyrics. There was a preset combination for all these Southern-style 'pots-n-pans' hits: Jeetendra, Sridevi, Jaya Pradha, Bhappi Lahiri and Indeevar. All the way from Himmatwalas' (1983) 'Nainon Mein Sapna' to Tohfa's nonsensical title song, Indeevar willfully accepted and adapted to the changing trends in film music.
All Time Hits of Anand Bakshi
Song - Track Movie
Tum Mile Dil Khile Criminal
Yeh Teri Aankhen Jhuki Jhuki Fareb
Jab Koi Baat Bigad Jaye Jurm
Jati hoon mein Karan Arjun
Laila O Laila Qurbani
Kya Dekhte hoo Qurbani
Aap Jaisa Koi Qurbani
Kya Khoob Lagti Ho Dharmatma
Awards
Award Song - Movie
Filmfare Award - 1975 Dil Aisa Kisine - Amanush
Towards the end of his career, he notched up a few hits with actor-turned-filmmaker Rakesh Roshan such as Karan Arjun (1995) and Koyla (1997). But even as he was trying to redeem himself as a poet, Indeevar passed away on February 27, 1999, leaving behind his words :

"Zindagi Ko Bahut Pyaar Hamne Kiya
Maut Se Bhi Mohabbat Nibhaaenge Ham
Rote Rote Zamaane Mein Aaye Magar
Hanste Hanste Zamaane Se Jaaenge Ham"

manjujain thumbnail

Kavi Pradeep

Kavi Pradeep (1915-1998) was a popular Indian poet and lyricist.

< =text/> //

Early life

Born Ramchandra Barayanji Dwivedi in 1915 into a middle-class Brahmin family in the small central Indian town of Badnagar, in Madhya Pradesh state. Since his early student days in Madhya Pradesh and later in Uttar Pradesh, he had a passion for writing and rendering Hindi poetry. He hypnotized the audience at kavi sammelans (poet's gatherings) with his inimitable style. It was during this time he changed his name to Pradeep. After graduating from Lucknow University in 1939, he decided to join a teacher's course and teaching.

Pradeep was invited to a Kavi Sammelan in Bombay (now Mumbai) where he was offered his first film Kangan by the late Himanshu Roy of Bombay Talkies. The film starred Devika Rani and Ashok Kumar. Pradeep Shifted to Bombay and wrote four songs for the film, all of which became very popular and sung three of the songs himself.

He next film was "Bandhan" produced by S Mukherjee and directed by Gyan Mukherjee. This time he wrote all the songs which became huge hits. The Most notable is "Chal chal re naujawan" (translation: Come on oh youth) which made waves since the Indian freedom movement was at a crucial juncture.

Golden Era

He worked on five more movies for Bombay Talkies which included Punarmilan, Jhoola, Naya Sansar, Anjan and Kismet. Kismet is known for its patriotic song "Aj Himalay ki choti se phir hamne lalkara hai...door hato ae duniyawalon Hindustan hamara hai" ("Go away outsiders, India is ours"). Mashaal was his next film and it features the extremely popular song 'Upar gagan vishal niche gahara pataal, bich mein dharati, wah mere malik tune kiya kamal...' sung by Manna Dey. Kavi Pradeep was at his creative zenith when he wrote for the films Nastik and Jagruti. He even lent his voice for the evergreen song 'Dekh tere sansar ki halat kya ho gayi bhagwaan kitna badal gaya insaan...' (translation: Look at what has happened to your world, O god. Man has changed so much). Jagruti is considered to be among his best work for one movie since it includes hit songs such as 'Aao bachchon tumhe dikhayen jhanki Hindustan ki, iss mitti se tilak karo, yeh dharti hai balidan ki...' (translation: Come children. Let me briefly show you Hindustan. Smear its sand on your forehead for its earth is full of sacrifices) , 'Hum laye hain toofan se kishti nikal ke iss desh ko rakhna mere bachon sambhal ke...' and 'Dedi humein azadi bina khadak bina dhal, Sabarmati ke sant tune kar diya kamal...' (translation: You gave us freedom without shield and sword. O saint of Sabarmati you have worked wonders)

His songs were so popular that movies would get repeat audiences just to listen to his soulful songs. Kavi Pradeep always believed in writing songs with a meaning and made sure the songs he wrote fit into the situation of the movie. The popularity of his songs were also due to his down to earth lyrics and simple language that was well understood by everyone. He stayed in the Irla area of the Mumbai suburb of Vile Parle until he died.

Later life

By the 1960's, the popularity of his songs was on the wane and film producers who were looking for western music and fast numbers avoided him. However he managed to prove his detractors wrong with films Talaaq, a Rajendra Kumar starrer and Paigam starring Dilip Kumar, Raaj Kumar and Vyjayantimala. With 'Insan ka insan se ho bhaichara, yahi paigam hamara..' being a highlight. S. Mukerji's Sambandh starring Pradeep Kumar was a movie that ran on the popularity of songs such as 'Chal akela chal akela, tera mela pichche chchuta rahi chal akela...', 'Jo diya tha tumne ek din mujhe phir wohi pyar de do...' and 'Ek karaj mangta hum bachpan udhar de do' written by Kavi Pradeep. He continued to show his brilliance in 1975, when the movie Jai Santoshi Maa was released. For a low budget movie, it matched the collections of another Block Buster "Sholay". For months theatre's screening the movie, held the housefull boards high. Ladies would perform poojas when the immortal song "Mein to aarti utaroon re Santoshi mata ki...." was played in the theatres. Almost synonymous to his Kismet song "Aj Himalay ki choti se phir hamne lalkara hai..", the reel would be rewound and played many times to satisfy public demand.

The Patriot

Kismet was his groundbreaking effort since it came at the time of the "Quit India" movement. The country was in strife with all national leaders in Jail. He cleverly wrote "Aj Himalay ki choti se phir hamne lalkara hai...door hato ae duniyawalon Hindustan hamara hai" ("Go away outsiders, India is ours"). The song was supposed to warn the Axis powers, but the Indian public understood the real meaning of the song. Theatres around the country were resounded with "once more" calls once the song ended. The reel had to be rewound and the song was screened again and again. Kismet made Box Office history for its time by running for 3-1/2 years in one theatre. The British realized the true meaning of his songs and issued a warrant for his arrest. This forced Kavi Pradeep underground to avoid arrest.

He continued his patriotic zeal with renewed vigor after Independence in movies such as Jagruti, 'Dedi humein azadi bina khadak bina dhal, Sabarmati ke sant tune kar diya kamal...' is considered to be his tribute to Mahatma Gandhi.

During 1962(Indo-China) war days, he heard about Param Vir Major Shaitan Singh Bhaati.He was so touched by his sacrifice and bravery that he penned down the lines 'Ae Mere Watan Ke Logon' (translation: O people of my country). This song was originally supposed to be sung by Asha Bhosle, due to a misunderstanding between composer C. Ramchandra and Lata Mangeshkar. Kavi Pradeep though, was adamant about having Lata Mangeshkar sing the song, as he felt that hers was the only voice that could do justice to the number. C. Ramchandra was unsure whether Mangeshkar would agree to sing, so Kavi Pradeep began the task of convincing her to hear the song. On hearing the song she was moved so much that she instantly agreed to sing the song, on condition that Kavi Pradeep be present at the rehearsals.

'Ae Mere Watan Ke Logon' went on to become one of the greatest patriotic songs of the country. It was while listening to Lata Mangeshkar's rendition of 'Ae Mere Watan Ke Logo' that the then Prime Minister of India - Jawaharlal Nehru was moved to tears. For writing the song he was conferred the honour of "Rashtriya Kavi" (National Poet) by the Government Of India.

Popular Songs

"Main to arti utaron radheshyam ki re" (Kangan) "Hawa tum dheere bahao" (Kangan) "Sooni padi re sitar" (Kangan) "Nacho nacho pyare man ke mor" (Punar Milan) "Chal chal re nau javan" (Bandhan) "Chane jor garam babu" (Bandhan) "Piyoo piyoo bol pran papihe" (Bandhan) "Ruk na sako to jao" (Bandhan) "Kheencho kaman kheencho" (Anjan) "Jhoole ke sang jhoolo" (Jhoola) "Na jane kidhar aaj meri nao chali re" (Jhoola) "Main to dilli se dulhan laya re" (Jhoola) "Aaj mausam salona salona re" (Jhoola) "Mere bichhade hue saathi" (Jhoola) "Door hato ae duniya walo Hindustan hamara hai (Kismet) "Dheere dheere aa re badal" (Kismet) "Papiha re, mere piyase" (Kismet) "Ghar ghar mein diwalee hai mere ghar me andhera" (Kismet) "Ab tere siva kaun mera" (Kismet) "Har har mahadeo allah o akbar" (Chal Chal Re Naujawan) "Ram bharose meri gadi" (Girl"s School) "Oopar gagan vishal" (Mashal) "Kiski kismet mein kya likha" (Mashal) "Aaj ashia ke logon ka kafila chala" (Kafila) "Koyal bole ku" (Baap Beti) "Kahna bahjaye bansari" (Nastik) "Jai jai ram raghurai" (Nastik) "Kitna badal gaya insan" (Nastik) "Gagan jhan jhana raja" (Nastik) "Tere phoolon se bhi pyar" (Nastik) "Sabarmati ke sant" (Jagriti) "Hum laye hain toofan se" (Jagriti) "Chalo chalen maa" (Jagriti) "Aao bachacho tumhen dikhayen" (Jagriti) "Tere dwar khada bhagwan" (Waman Avtar) "Kahe ko bisara hari naam, maati ke putle" (Chakradhari) "Doosara o ka dukhada door karne wale" (Dashera) "Tunnaak tunnak bole re mera ektara" (Ram Navmi) "Pinjare ke panchhi re" (Naag Mani) "Koi akh kare chaturai" (Chandi Pooja) "Nai umar ki kaliyo tumko dekh rehiduniya sari" (Talaq) "Bigul baj raha azadi ka" (Talaq) "Mere jeevan mein kiran ban ke" (Talaq) "Mukhada dekhle praani" (Do Bahen) "Insan ka insan se ho bhaichara" (Paigham) "O ameeron ke parameshwar" (Paigham) "Jawani mein akelapan" (Paigham) "O dildaar bolo ek baar" (School Master) 'Aaj suno hum get vida ka garaha" (School Master) 'Sanvariya re apni meera ko bhool na jana" (Aanchal) 'Na jane kahan tum the" (Zindgi aur khwab) 'Aaj ke is insaan ko ye kya hogaya" (Amar Rahe Ye Pyar) 'Sooraj re jalte rahena" (Harishchandra Taramati) 'Toot haiee hai mala" (Harishchandra Taramati) 'Janma bhoomi maa" (Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose) 'Suno suno desh ke hindu - musalman" (Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose) 'Bharat ke liye bhagwan ka ek vardaan hai ganga" (Har har gange) 'Chal akela chal akela" (Har har gange) 'Tum ko to karodon saal hue" (Har har gange) 'Jo diya tha tumne ek din" (Har har gange) 'Ye khushi leke main kya karoon" (Har har gange) 'Sukh dukh dono rehte" (Kabhi dhoop kabhi chhaon) 'Hay re sanjog kya ghadi dikhlai" (Kabhi dhoop kabhi chhaon) 'Chal musafir chal" (Kabhi dhoop kabhi chhaon) 'Jai Jai narayan narayan hari hari" (Haridarshan) 'Pabhu ke bharose han ko gaadi" (Haridarshan) 'Maarnewala hai bhagwan bachanewala hai bhagwan" (Haridarshan) 'Main is paar" (Agni rekha) 'Main to aarti utaron" (Jai Santoshi Maa) 'Yahan wahan jahan tahan" (Jai Santoshi Maa) 'Mat ro mat ro aj" (Jai Santoshi Maa) 'Karati hoon tumhara vrat main" (Jai Santoshi Maa) 'Madad karo santoshi mata" (Jai Santoshi Maa) 'He maruti saari ram katha ka" (Bajrangbali) 'Banjaa hoon main" (Aankha ka tara)
  • 'Ae Mere Watan Ke Logon"

His songs directly address and have inspired and continue to inspire millions of Indians spanning several generations

Awards

Kavi Pradeep received numerous awards throughout his life. Some of which are:

"Best film lyricist" in 1961 Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1961 The Film Journalist Association award The national integration award in 1993
  • and the Dada Saheb Phalke Award for the year 1997-1998)

Quotes

About the kind of songs he wrote, Pradeep once said [1] "Love is just a part of life and the love written about today talks about love between the sexes only. But do young men and women have a monopoly where love is concerned. Aren't there different kinds of love that between a mother and her children, between a father and his children, between a bhakt (devotee) and his deity, between a man and his motherland? I chose to write about all these different kinds of love."

Plagiarized works of Kavi Pradeep

Many of Kavi Pradeep's works have been plagiarized in neighboring Pakistan. Songs like "Hum Laye Hain Toofan se Kashti Nikal Ke, Is Desh ko rakhnaa mere bachchon sambhal ke" , "Aao Bachon Tumhe Dikhayen Jhanki Hindustan Ki"' have been plagiarized almost word to word with minor changes like 'desh' to 'mulk' and avoiding references like 'Bharat', 'Hind', 'Bapu' etc.

• It is not confirmed if the songs have been plagiarised or if Kavi himself plagiarised.

Legacy

Kavi Pradeep died at the age of 83 in Mumbai on December 11, 1998. His wife, and his daughters, Ms Sargam and Ms Mitul, have set up the Kavi Pradeep Foundation. They are assisted in their task by former MLA, Mr Avinash Pande. He is also a distant relative of the poet. An award has also been constituted in his memory

paljay thumbnail
Gulshan Bawra

Birth: 12th April
Birthplace: Sheikhupura, Pakistan

Gulshan Kumar Mehta, popularly known as Gulshan Bawra was born at a place 30 kms from Lahore in a place called Sheikhupura. His father had a construction business. His family was a victim to the paritition riots where young Gulshan saw his parents being killed in front of his eyes. His elder sister at Jaipur, brought him and his elder brother up. After his brother got a job, they shifted to Delhi where he graduated from the Delhi University. During college, he began to write poetry.

The Struggle

He wanted to come into films and applied for a job with the Railways. He was posted to Kota which was then in Madhya Pradesh but when he arrived there, the vacancy was filled. His next call was luckily that for the post of a clerk at Mumbai and he arrived in the city in 1955.

Gulshan struggled to get a film break, initially keeping his job on. Kalyanji (-Anandji), then on his own as Kalyanji Virji Shah, gave him his first opening in Chandrasena (1959) in the song 'Main kya jaanu kahan laage yeh saawan matwala re' sung by Lata Mangeshkar.

Success

K-A's first joint film, the Meena Kumari-Balraj Sahni starrer Satta Bazar later the same year marked his first brush with success with hits like 'Tumhein yaad hoga kabhi hum mile the' (Lata-Hemant), 'Aakde ka dhanda' (Rafi) and 'Chandi ke chand tukdon ke liye' (Hemant Kumar).

It was during the making of this film that the film's distributor Shantibhai Patel christened him 'Bawra'. He was very impressed by his lyrics but could not reconcile their excellence to the typical young man in his twenties who wore a rather colourful shirt. He said, 'Main iska naam Gulshan Bawra rakhoonga. He looks like a 'bawra' (madman).' When the film was released in Mumbai, the posters carried just three names, those of director Ravindra Dave, composers Kalyanji Anandji, and Gulshan Bawra, though the roster of lyricists included the topmost names of that time, Hasrat Jaipuri and Shailendra. 'I left my job in 1961 and things were pretty smooth,' says Bawra.

To date, Gulshan Bawra has written only 240 songs in a 42-year career, which is less than the number of films so many top names have done! But he claims to have the highest average among lyricists. 'I never believed in working too much or being aggressive, one of the main reasons for which was that I had no children. In my time, I have charged Rs 90,000 for a film at a time when one could purchase a big flat for Rs 65,000! I have not compromised on my price - because I have never compromised on my work.'

Major Hits

Gulshan Bawra believes in sensible lyrics and avoids lyrics that are conceptually defective, or have grammatical mistakes. 'Even Shailendra,' he says, 'wrote meaningless stuff like 'Awara hoon, awara hoon, ya gardish mein hoon aasmaan ka taara hoon ', which should actually be 'Awara hoon, awara hoon, main gardish mein bhi aasmaan ka taara hoon'. Gardish refers to struggle or turbulence and stars are never in this condition. Natural or universal truths should not be tampered with in the name of poetic license or to fit in to a given metre', he says.

Hit Songs of Gulshan Bawra
SongMovie
Mere desh ki dhartiUpkar
Yaari hai imaan meraZanjeer
Sanam teri kasamSanam Teri Kasam
Agar tum na hoteAgar Tum Na Hote
Tu tho hai wohiYeh Vaada Raha
Aati Rahengi BaharenKasme Vaade
Kasme Vaade Nibhayenge HumKasme Vaade
Jivan ke har mod pe mil jayenge humsafarJhoota Kahin Ka
Teri BadmashiyanZulmi
Waada karle saajanaHaath Ki Safai
Peenewalon ko peene ka bahana chahiyeHaath Ki Safai
Le pappiyaan jhappiyaan paale humHaqeeqat

Almost half of his songs have been with R.D.Burman. His last release was Zulmi (1999) and his last hit was 'Le pappiyaan jhappiyaan paale hum' for Haqeeqat/1995, which landed him in his only controversy - of writing a vulgar song.

Gulshan Bawra's Present

As always, Bawra is selective and is doing two films only today. He finds today's filmmakers, music barons and composers musically - illiterate and thus is even choosier than before, as he lives a secure, relaxed life. 'Why should I torture myself or waste my lyrics and talents on those who will ask me to do all sorts of compromises?' he asks. His films in the '90s include, besides Haqeeqat and Zulmi, Qurbani Rang Jaayegi, Tehkiqaat, Laat Saab, Maidan-E-Jung, Indrajeet and Chor Pe Mor.

Awards
AwardMovie - Song
Filmfare - Best Lyricist - 1973Yaari hai imaan mera - Zanjeer
Filmfare - Best Lyricist - 1973Mere desh ki dharti - Upkaar