Kuch Kuch Hota Hai should not be criticized for gender politics?

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 2 months ago

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai was released in 1998, a time when Bollywood narratives were heavily influenced by traditional gender norms and societal expectations. It reflects the prevailing attitudes towards romance and relationships in Indian society at that time. The film's portrayal of male and female characters may seem outdated by today's standards, but it was a product of its era.

Furthermore, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai subtly addresses themes of friendship and platonic love alongside its romantic narrative. The bond between Rahul and Anjali transcends romantic feelings, emphasizing the importance of friendship as the foundation of love. 

Believe me, most of the films at that time had WORSE gender representations. For example --

Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995): While considered a classic romantic film, it perpetuates stereotypes such as the idea that a woman's happiness depends on her ability to conform to family expectations and patriarchal values.

Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (1999): Although released towards the end of the decade, this film maintains traditional gender representations where the female protagonist, Nandini (Aishwarya Rai), ultimately prioritizing her duty towards her husband over her personal desires.

To me, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai is iconic for various reasons. But I feel it has been under the radar a bit too often for its gender politics, someting which should be understood within the cultural context.

Agree/disagree?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

prerna4rishav thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

I dont think we should worry too much about the posts pointing these out from movies like KKHH or K3G or DDLJ. It’s Vday week, and if some of these movies are re-releasing, audience will make it houseful left right and centre. No one in the real world cares. 

Did you love the movie ? Yes or no. That’s it. smiley14

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Both DDLJ and HDDCS are stories of women suffering from familial expectations, not endorsing them. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: prerna4rishav

Did you love the movie ? Yes or no. That’s it. smiley14

this is perfect, It’s all that matters ✅ smiley9

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

OH i LOVED IT!@ STILL DO!!!!!