Abhira OS - Like A Girl (Continued on Pg 2)

takiya thumbnail
Posted: 4 months ago

The title of this one shot is taken from a poem Like A Girl by Becky Hemsley. Would definitely recommend to give it a read.  

~

Like A Girl

"Where will you go?" pressed Armaan. Concern clearly visible on his face. "I know that we agreed to end this marriage as soon as you become a lawyer. But you could still take a few months to settle down with a stable job. We could surely continue to pretend for a few more months"

The results for exam had come out today. And to no one's surprise, Abhira cleared it securing the topmost rank. She put in blood, sweat and tears to fulfill her mother's dream. Quite literally.

This was also the only way to leave this marriage and the baggage that came with it. The Poddar Family. The family and their endless penchant for drama proved to be a good motivator to clear the exams in one go. And move away to start afresh. Away from Armaan.

She was stupid enough to have fallen for her supposed guardian. Maybe not stupid. But surely not smart enough. It would have saved her a lot of trouble. But here she is.

Anybody would fall in love with him, if they knew him. He is not only kind but selfless to the extent of self-sabotage. It is infuriating but at the same time makes her love him all the more for it. His love for every member of his family. She has never seen something like that. She wants to know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of it. Only if she was fortunate enough to be a part of that love. Part of that family. But she knows better. A guest cannot overstay their welcome. She is but a guest cum responsibility with an expiration date.

"Thank you for thinking about me, Armaan. But it's time. Let's not drag this. A year was all this marriage deal was about. You don't have to burden yourself with me anymore." replied Abhira while still continuing to pack her things. Huffing she wondered, just how had she managed to accumulate so many things in just a year. Her things were everywhere. Books ,clothes, photos, accessories, files and other little trinkets.

Just as she moved to the cupboard, her wrist was yanked back and she was face to face with an angry Armaan. He held her with one hand holding her shoulder and the other still holding her wrist bringing it close to him.

Now what had happened? Did she take something that wasn't hers? Just as she was about to ask about it.

"You are not a Burden, Abhira." burst out Armaan."Is that what you have been thinking all along? I thought we were at least good friends by now." His voice almost a whisper by the end of the sentence.

Oh No! She didn't mean for the words to come out like that. She wasn't thinking properly. Her mind was all over.  All she really meant was that he could now freely pursue the person in his heart. The one he loved. She has known about it for quite some time. After having spent all this time sharing the same space she has learnt to read him. He is an open book to her. She has seen the way his eyes turn sad at the mention of love and other little cues pointing towards that fact. Right from the start of this fake marriage. 

She was momentarily stunned with the outburst and with the close proximity to properly form a reply. Regaining her wits from the intense look in his eyes she stuttered out a broken "Ye... yes, yes we are of course friends. I didn't mean to say it like that. I am sorry Armaan."

Slowly she freed herself from his grasp. It wasn't good for her heart to be this close. Quickly moving around collecting things, she packed everything. Armaan offered to help with the packing but she refused. There was a certain sick pleasure in finally being able to do this. She has dreamt of this more than once. Has been waiting for this day ever since the pagphera and mooh dikhai rasam.  

She removed every single thing that belonged to her. Making sure that room went back to looking like it had been before her. There shouldn't be a single reason that would draw her back. It would be tough to leave this place after having lived here for a year. But she is ready. Has been for some time now. She wanted to get over it already.

Now the final thing to be done. The divorce papers. They needed to be signed to be truly free of each other. Taking out the papers from the drawer, she first handed it to Armaan. He looked over the papers and then at Abhira.

"When did you get these ready?" whispered Armaan.

"Oh right after the exams finished. I knew I had done well. So I was sure we will need these papers for this day. What's the point in waiting, right? So I prepared them in advance just in case. It's a mutual divorce so it will get over quickly in about 6 months. You can check the papers and sign them and then we can submit it. I did right, didn't I Armaan?"

After blurting all that in one breath, she saw Armaan looking lost. His eyes moist. Mouth open.

"Armaan?"

"Huh"

"What happened? Where are you lost?"

"Nothing"

"Okay then read them and sign it. Alright. I will check once more to see if nothing is left behind."

She headed to the washroom, washing her face and calming herself down. She spoke looking at her reflection. What was that? It almost felt like Armaan didn't want to sign the divorce papers. But that couldn't be true. It was just her wishful thinking. Stupid, Stupid heart. Can't give me a break.

Patting her face dry. She headed back inside to see Armaan looking outside the window and the papers signed lying on the study table. Berating her wishful heart, she took the pen from the stand and signed as well. Her hand shook but she kept herself steady.

"Okay. Everything is handled. My packing is also finished. I will take my leave now." That finally made Armaan turn around to look at Abhira.

"You are leaving now?"

"Yeah, if not now, then when? I am done with the packing. The divorce papers are signed. Why would I stay?

"I just thought we could celebrate your success. Aren't you happy on becoming a lawyer?

"I am happy truly but I am also relived. If only mama had been here, we could have celebrated it together. But I don't wish to celebrate it without her."

Nodding his head, "Akshara ma'am, if she could see you now, would be so proud of you. You have done so well."

"Thank you Armaan. I have been able to achieve and fulfill my mother's dream is because you have been so unfailingly supportive. Without you or your support, it could have been so much harder. But you made it so easy. By taking care of me and everything else as much as you could. I will never forget it. Thank you so, so much."

His efforts for her did not go unseen by her. His actions spoke much louder than his words. Those small but not insignificant moments over time are what touched her heart in the most intimate of ways. His unflinching stand by her side. She is going to miss him. She is so used to his presence, it is intolerable to even think of his absence. But staying would be even more painful. The earlier she leaves, the better it would be for her. She had dreaded but prepared herself for this day. She will not back down. It is the right decision for her and for him.

"I have said all that I wanted to. Goodbye Armaan. Take good care of yourself please."

Abhira turned to leave but was held back by Armaan grabbing her wrist. She raised her eyebrows at him effectively asking him as to why he stopped her.

For one foolish moment, she hoped he would stop her and ask her to stay forever. But it was all just wishful thinking. Armaan doesn't love her.

"Abhira, wait at least tell me where you are going? Let me drop you. I can do that right? We are still friends. Just because this marriage is over, doesn't mean we are strangers." pleaded Armaan

Abhira twisted out of his hold and looking away replied "We agreed that we wouldn't interfere with each other's lives once we go our separate ways. So let me do this on my own. Going forward I'll have to get used to being alone and doing things independently. I can do this Armaan. And we will always be friends." Looking back at him she smiled her usual smile trying to convince him. And it achieved the desired effect as Armaan gave up lowering his head in defeat.

"Alright my cab will be here in fifteen minutes, I guess that should be enough time to tell the family about the divorce and my departure from this house. Let's go. Everyone should be gathered in the hall after lunch." Armaan followed her after a pause.

Shock and disbelief covered everyone's faces once Abhira broke the news. The cousins believed it to some kind of joke while elders for once were jolted into silence. It wasn't until Armaan's dad came forward asking if something had upset and displeased her and if she was alright, that everyone took them seriously.

"No Papa ji, there is nothing that troubles me. We have agreed to mutually divorce each other amicably. We have our reasons for this divorce. We hope you understand. We have taken this decision only after serious consideration." and then turning to address the whole family she continues "I know we have disappointed this family with our actions right from the start of this marriage. But now that things have come to an end. I would like to apologize if I have hurt anyone with my words or actions. It was not my intention. I hope for your forgiveness."

All her luggage was also moved to the entrance by the staff. On seeing that, they understood she was leaving right away. The cousins with tears in their eyes couldn't hold back and hugged her all at once. Urging both Abhira and Armaan to reconsider their decision. Her heart broke seeing their faces. She was both sad and happy at the same time. They truly had formed a bond with her. 

Dadisa spoke breaking their group hug, "Not so easily, girl. I want to see the divorce papers." Abhira huffed as she knew what for. By now Dadisa was so predictable. She wasn't even surprised. Unwittingly she had won over everyone gradually except for Dadisa and Phupasa. Even Armaan's mom tolerated her but not them.

Wiping her face and exhaling she reached into her bag for the papers and handed them over to Dadisa. Armaan gave an apologetic look to which she smiled at him expressing it was alright. She had both endured as well as retorted to their cruel words and unkind behaviours for a year now, she could tolerate just this last time.

Dadisa handed those papers to Phupasa, who checked for the supposed deceit to snatch all their wealth via alimony. Alas, he couldn't find anything wrong with the papers. Disappointed he handed them back stating they were clean. Disbelief and befuddlement marring on Dadisa's face almost made her laugh out loud but controlled herself the last second. She couldn't help the smile though. It's always fun to stump the stoic Dadisa with her rebuttal when she firmly believes otherwise.

Still looking at those papers, Dadisa spoke calmly "Better late than never, you finally know your place. Good riddance."

Hearing that Armaan moved forward to object, but Abhira held him back. She didn't want any more conflicts. She had given up on Dadisa long back. She refused to spend her time and energy on fruitless endeavours. Some people are just set in their ways. Nothing can move them. After having met with such brutal and callous censure from them, she had rather developed a thick skin, no longer as easily bothered as she once did. It just didn't affect her anymore. Maybe they did teach her something after all. On how to deal with people who treat you unfavourably for no reason. You just don't. You move on. Rise above them. That's the best way to deal with pain in the neck nuisance.

Rolling eyes at the words of family's matriarch and heaving out a sigh, Abhira took back the papers. Right on time the guard outside informed her that the cab she booked had arrived. Acknowledging it, she bade farewell to everyone. Took their blessings and well wishes with a smile on her face.

Taking one final look at Armaan, she turned around and braved herself to move forward with her head held high. She quickly stepped out of the mansion doors. Her luggage already loaded in the cab. She thanked the staff for their help and sat inside. Not once did she look back.

"Driver, please take it to the Airport."

Delhi is where she will start the life she had envisioned for herself and her mother. Be a Supreme Court lawyer. Fight for justice, like her mother. She has already taken the first step towards her goal. With nothing holding her back anymore, she is ready to rock the world.

~

Author's note

I really hope you enjoyed reading it. Constructive criticism and questions, if any, are welcome.

Edit: Continued on Page - 2

Edited by takiya - 3 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

8Lucky88 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Amazing start..great details for explaining abhira feeling toward armaan. 

Would like to see how they both try to adjust and family without abhira.

Please add more parts

Update soon 

Choti-Daiyaan thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: takiya

The title of this one shot is taken from a poem Like A Girl by Becky Hemsley. Would definitely recommend to give it a read.  

~

Like A Girl

"Where will you go?" pressed Armaan. Concern clearly visible on his face. "I know that we agreed to end this marriage as soon as you become a lawyer. But you could still take a few months to settle down with a stable job. We could surely continue to pretend for a few more months"

The results for exam had come out today. And to no one's surprise, Abhira cleared it securing the topmost rank. She put in blood, sweat and tears to fulfill her mother's dream. Quite literally.

This was also the only way to leave this marriage and the baggage that came with it. The Poddar Family. The family and their endless penchant for drama proved to be a good motivator to clear the exams in one go. And move away to start afresh. Away from Armaan.

She was stupid enough to have fallen for her supposed guardian. Maybe not stupid. But surely not smart enough. It would have saved her a lot of trouble. But here she is.

Anybody would fall in love with him, if they knew him. He is not only kind but selfless to the extent of self-sabotage. It is infuriating but at the same time makes her love him all the more for it. His love for every member of his family. She has never seen something like that. She wants to know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of it. Only if she was fortunate enough to be a part of that love. Part of that family. But she knows better. A guest cannot overstay their welcome. She is but a guest cum responsibility with an expiration date.

"Thank you for thinking about me, Armaan. But it's time. Let's not drag this. A year was all this marriage deal was about. You don't have to burden yourself with me anymore." replied Abhira while still continuing to pack her things. Huffing she wondered, just how had she managed to accumulate so many things in just a year. Her things were everywhere. Books ,clothes, photos, accessories, files and other little trinkets.

Just as she moved to the cupboard, her wrist was yanked back and she was face to face with an angry Armaan. He held her with one hand holding her shoulder and the other still holding her wrist bringing it close to him.

Now what had happened? Did she take something that wasn't hers? Just as she was about to ask about it.

"You are not a Burden, Abhira." burst out Armaan."Is that what you have been thinking all along? I thought we were at least good friends by now." His voice almost a whisper by the end of the sentence.

Oh No! She didn't mean for the words to come out like that. She wasn't thinking properly. Her mind was all over.  All she really meant was that he could now freely pursue the person in his heart. The one he loved. She has known about it for quite some time. After having spent all this time sharing the same space she has learnt to read him. He is an open book to her. She has seen the way his eyes turn sad at the mention of love and other little cues pointing towards that fact. Right from the start of this fake marriage. 

She was momentarily stunned with the outburst and with the close proximity to properly form a reply. Regaining her wits from the intense look in his eyes she stuttered out a broken "Ye... yes, yes we are of course friends. I didn't mean to say it like that. I am sorry Armaan."

Slowly she freed herself from his grasp. It wasn't good for her heart to be this close. Quickly moving around collecting things, she packed everything. Armaan offered to help with the packing but she refused. There was a certain sick pleasure in finally being able to do this. She has dreamt of this more than once. Has been waiting for this day ever since the pagphera and mooh dikhai rasam.  

She removed every single thing that belonged to her. Making sure that room went back to looking like it had been before her. There shouldn't be a single reason that would draw her back. It would be tough to leave this place after having lived here for a year. But she is ready. Has been for some time now. She wanted to get over it already.

Now the final thing to be done. The divorce papers. They needed to be signed to be truly free of each other. Taking out the papers from the drawer, she first handed it to Armaan. He looked over the papers and then at Abhira.

"When did you get these ready?" whispered Armaan.

"Oh right after the exams finished. I knew I had done well. So I was sure we will need these papers for this day. What's the point in waiting, right? So I prepared them in advance just in case. It's a mutual divorce so it will get over quickly in about 6 months. You can check the papers and sign them and then we can submit it. I did right, didn't I Armaan?"

After blurting all that in one breath, she saw Armaan looking lost. His eyes moist. Mouth open.

"Armaan?"

"Huh"

"What happened? Where are you lost?"

"Nothing"

"Okay then read them and sign it. Alright. I will check once more to see if nothing is left behind."

She headed to the washroom, washing her face and calming herself down. She spoke looking at her reflection. What was that? It almost felt like Armaan didn't want to sign the divorce papers. But that couldn't be true. It was just her wishful thinking. Stupid, Stupid heart. Can't give me a break.

Patting her face dry. She headed back inside to see Armaan looking outside the window and the papers signed lying on the study table. Berating her wishful heart, she took the pen from the stand and signed as well. Her hand shook but she kept herself steady.

"Okay. Everything is handled. My packing is also finished. I will take my leave now." That finally made Armaan turn around to look at Abhira.

"You are leaving now?"

"Yeah, if not now, then when? I am done with the packing. The divorce papers are signed. Why would I stay?

"I just thought we could celebrate your success. Aren't you happy on becoming a lawyer?

"I am happy truly but I am also relived. If only mama had been here, we could have celebrated it together. But I don't wish to celebrate it without her."

Nodding his head, "Akshara ma'am, if she could see you now, would be so proud of you. You have done so well."

"Thank you Armaan. I have been able to achieve and fulfill my mother's dream is because you have been so unfailingly supportive. Without you or your support, it could have been so much harder. But you made it so easy. By taking care of me and everything else as much as you could. I will never forget it. Thank you so, so much."

His efforts for her did not go unseen by her. His actions spoke much louder than his words. Those small but not insignificant moments over time are what touched her heart in the most intimate of ways. His unflinching stand by her side. She is going to miss him. She is so used to his presence, it is intolerable to even think of his absence. But staying would be even more painful. The earlier she leaves, the better it would be for her. She had dreaded but prepared herself for this day. She will not back down. It is the right decision for her and for him.

"I have said all that I wanted to. Goodbye Armaan. Take good care of yourself please."

Abhira turned to leave but was held back by Armaan grabbing her wrist. She raised her eyebrows at him effectively asking him as to why he stopped her.

For one foolish moment, she hoped he would stop her and ask her to stay forever. But it was all just wishful thinking. Armaan doesn't love her.

"Abhira, wait at least tell me where you are going? Let me drop you. I can do that right? We are still friends. Just because this marriage is over, doesn't mean we are strangers." pleaded Armaan

Abhira twisted out of his hold and looking away replied "We agreed that we wouldn't interfere with each other's lives once we go our separate ways. So let me do this on my own. Going forward I'll have to get used to being alone and doing things independently. I can do this Armaan. And we will always be friends." Looking back at him she smiled her usual smile trying to convince him. And it achieved the desired effect as Armaan gave up lowering his head in defeat.

"Alright my cab will be here in fifteen minutes, I guess that should be enough time to tell the family about the divorce and my departure from this house. Let's go. Everyone should be gathered in the hall after lunch." Armaan followed her after a pause.

Shock and disbelief covered everyone's faces once Abhira broke the news. The cousins believed it to some kind of joke while elders for once were jolted into silence. It wasn't until Armaan's dad came forward asking if something had upset and displeased her and if she was alright, that everyone took them seriously.

"No Papa ji, there is nothing that troubles me. We have agreed to mutually divorce each other amicably. We have our reasons for this divorce. We hope you understand. We have taken this decision only after serious consideration." and then turning to address the whole family she continues "I know we have disappointed this family with our actions right from the start of this marriage. But now that things have come to an end. I would like to apologize if I have hurt anyone with my words or actions. It was not my intention. I hope for your forgiveness."

All her luggage was also moved to the entrance by the staff. On seeing that, they understood she was leaving right away. The cousins with tears in their eyes couldn't hold back and hugged her all at once. Urging both Abhira and Armaan to reconsider their decision. Her heart broke seeing their faces. She was both sad and happy at the same time. They truly had formed a bond with her. 

Dadisa spoke breaking their group hug, "Not so easily, girl. I want to see the divorce papers." Abhira huffed as she knew what for. By now Dadisa was so predictable. She wasn't even surprised. Unwittingly she had won over everyone gradually except for Dadisa and Phupasa. Even Armaan's mom tolerated her but not them.

Wiping her face and exhaling she reached into her bag for the papers and handed them over to Dadisa. Armaan gave an apologetic look to which she smiled at him expressing it was alright. She had both endured as well as retorted to their cruel words and unkind behaviours for a year now, she could tolerate just this last time.

Dadisa handed those papers to Phupasa, who checked for the supposed deceit to snatch all their wealth via alimony. Alas, he couldn't find anything wrong with the papers. Disappointed he handed them back stating they were clean. Disbelief and befuddlement marring on Dadisa's face almost made her laugh out loud but controlled herself the last second. She couldn't help the smile though. It's always fun to stump the stoic Dadisa with her rebuttal when she firmly believes otherwise.

Still looking at those papers, Dadisa spoke calmly "Better late than never, you finally know your place. Good riddance."

Hearing that Armaan moved forward to object, but Abhira held him back. She didn't want any more conflicts. She had given up on Dadisa long back. She refused to spend her time and energy on fruitless endeavours. Some people are just set in their ways. Nothing can move them. After having met with such brutal and callous censure from them, she had rather developed a thick skin, no longer as easily bothered as she once did. It just didn't affect her anymore. Maybe they did teach her something after all. On how to deal with people who treat you unfavourably for no reason. You just don't. You move on. Rise above them. That's the best way to deal with pain in the neck nuisance.

Rolling eyes at the words of family's matriarch and heaving out a sigh, Abhira took back the papers. Right on time the guard outside informed her that the cab she booked had arrived. Acknowledging it, she bade farewell to everyone. Took their blessings and well wishes with a smile on her face.

Taking one final look at Armaan, she turned around and braved herself to move forward with her head held high. She quickly stepped out of the mansion doors. Her luggage already loaded in the cab. She thanked the staff for their help and sat inside. Not once did she look back.

"Driver, please take it to the Airport."

Delhi is where she will start the life she had envisioned for herself and her mother. Be a Supreme Court lawyer. Fight for justice, like her mother. She has already taken the first step towards her goal. With nothing holding her back anymore, she is ready to rock the world.

~

Author's note

I really hope you enjoyed reading it. Constructive criticism and questions, if any, are welcome.

Loved your story 😍😍😍. I have a request can you write one where Armaan falls in love with Abhia but she doesn't reciprocate and falls for someone else. Even though I am loving Abhimaan together but dil jal jaata hain looking at Armaan still giving side eye glances to Kajal ki dibbi Ruhi.

I just want a story to sustain until abhimaan is on track cause Ruhi really makes me want to pull her hair.

Please write one if you can.

Tanukirti thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 5 Thumbnail + 2

Amazing πŸ‘.  Just love it β™₯️ 

Srivalli1212 thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2

Loved it 😊

baisnabi thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

A great start to a great story.  I really wish u continue it into a story & introduce a new lead for Abhira because a man like Armaan who is too obsessed with 2min love doesn't deserve Abhira. Armaan is too cringe 😬. I thought Virat was worst but atleast he knew his boundaries with Pakhi not like Armaan.

I really want a new lead for Abhira. 

Honey-Friend thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

This one is really good. Keep it up..

Summer_Rain thumbnail

Omg.. Loved it smiley27

mrym_rauf thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Amazing, Loved it!smiley27 hope you continue this story!

takiya thumbnail
Posted: 3 months ago

Comeuppance

"Merely money will not bring back the goodwill of the firm. We have to think of other solutions." urged Phupasa. His frown lines deepening.

"As you say, Jamai-sa. We will have to consider other possible options" agreed Dadisa, nodding her head. "I did not anticipate there could come a day like this. We are the Poddars. I thought we were infallible. Our reputation for being the best law firm was unquestionable. But now that reputation is in tatters." Dadisa slammed her hand hard on the table to emphasize her disappointment in general.

He couldn't think of anything to say. What did it matter, even if he did. He had been urging all along to change the policies of the firm. To reorient for the better. To be careful in choosing to represent a client. But to no avail, his words fell on deaf ears.

The world outside was no longer blind to injustice. The power of social media is incontestable and widespread. And now they are facing the consequences of failing to uphold the moral codes.

The client went scot-free. They had won the high profile case, but failed humanity. There was no joy or celebration outside the court. Only defeated and angry faces. He was ashamed of himself. The law was truly blind.

His fists balled up behind him. Inhaling sharply, he reminded himself that family came above everything else. No matter the fall out in opinions. They will shoulder it all together.

All the male adults, except for his father, were gathered in the study to discuss the progress of things with Dadisa at the end of the day.

"Armaan, do you have something in mind to remedy the present state of affairs of the firm?" Dadisa probed when the silence stretched.

How could they possibly rectify the wrongs wrought by their own hands. This was not something that could be fixed overnight. It would take long years to get back to their former prominence, if they ever could.

With how things happened one after another and then all at once, it almost felt like someone had it out for them. The conflicts within the firm, collusion amongst the employees, unsuitable and harsh work ethics, security breaches, loss of data and overall work culture sparking prospective whistle-blowers had somehow kick started a chain of dominoes that led one thing to another and the culmination was the inevitable downfall.  Though, he did not think it would happen this fast. Another oversight on his part. After all Rome wasn't built in a day yet destroyed in one.

That wasn't all. They could not step outside without being hounded by journalists and protesters. One of them had even dared to smear ink on Phupasa's face. It would not be far-fetched to say that they had become the laughing stock of society. Their existing clients were rescinding the contracts in fear of being scorned by the public for their association with the firm. They no longer have a pool of clients. It is simple mathematics. No clients. No work. No money. No employees. And just getting funds would not solve their problems.

With these thoughts going around in circles in the back of his mind, his head started throbbing with full intensity. In moments like these, ridiculously enough, he misses Abhira. Which further increases his headache. Because he could barely make sense of it. She keeps popping up in his head at the most inopportune of times, giving her unwelcome running commentary as usual.

It's been six months since she left. Routinely he forgets that she no longer stays in this house. He is out of his mind.

"Bhaiya, are you alright?" Inquired a concerned Rohit. Blinking out of his thoughts that had again veered onto a different direction. His vision, going blurry around the edges. Gulping, he nodded his head to ease everyone's worry. It was not like him to be distracted.

"I asked you something, Armaan. What are you so preoccupied with? Am I boring you here?" reprimanded Dadisa.

"Nothing like that, I heard you Dadisa. I was simply thinking over it." He was exhausted both mentally and physically.

With nothing more to discuss, the meeting was dismissed and he headed back to his room hastily. His body ached. Maybe he was coming down with something. A good sleep was all he needed. And also liberation from certain someone's thoughts.

Throwing his jacket on the chair, he dived straight into bed. Not bothering to even change his formal clothes. He was hungry but lacked both the strength and desire to get something to eat. Missing dinner, lunch or breakfast had become quite a norm.

It felt as if had just fallen asleep, when he was aroused by a pair of hands. It was his mother. Confused, he tried to speak. But his throat was so dry. His whole body was uncomfortably hot. He wasn't fully cognizant.

"Armaan, Shh, you have a fever. I am sorry, I had to wake you up for these medicines. Now try to sit up and have something to eat first."

The warm food in his stomach and bitter medicines woke him up fully. Looking around, he realised it was now late morning. Meaning, he had slept through the night with a fever. No wonder he felt so lethargic.

He felt bad for worrying his mother. They were already so stressed with everything going on. He didn't want to add to it. Though before he could even open his mouth, she stopped him.

"Don't you say you are sorry. Enough is enough." Taking a pause she continued, "Why can't you see what I  am seeing. I can't believe I am the one saying this." Turning away she exhaled deeply.

Unable to make sense of what she was onto, he could only crease his eyebrows to convey his confusion.

"Armaan, why don't you understand? You miss her. So much so that you have made yourself sick. And no, do not tell me it's because of work. Because it's not. I am your mother and I know." She tried to reason with her son.

"Just because I do not say, doesn't mean I don't see. Since she left, you have gradually isolated yourself. You are not eating well. Any mention of her has, either, you smiling  with all your teeth or sad to the point of being miserable. I hoped that as time passes, you would feel fine, better yet, move on and forget about her. But it only got worse."

"If you love her so much, why did you let her go?"

Breathing in sharply, he closed his eyes. His mother never spoke about Abhira after she left. And now when she does, it's completely off the mark. How could he ever be in love with Abhira, when he already had someone in his heart. Sure he is concerned for her, but love?

"I am not in love with Abhira, Maa. I can't be." denied Armaan.

Shaking her head at his thick headedness, she spoke softly "Oh Armaan, I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong."

It took some time for the words to sink in. And when it did, his eyes widened. He did not know his mother had it in her. Apparently, Dadisa had rubbed off on her after all.

"If you are having trouble understanding what you are feeling, you could start by asking yourself this. Why is part of your cupboard still empty? Why is there an extra chair at the study table? Why is the vanity table devoid of accessories? Why is a section of the book shelf unfilled? Why do you still sleep on one side of the bed even after all this time? Who are you and this room waiting for? Six months may not seem like it, but it is a long time to get over someone you are not in love with. Perhaps you should think over it some more."

Those questions had rattled something inside of him. Satisfied on seeing her words having the intended effect, his mother deliberately left the room to give him the space to come to his conclusions.

For the longest time, all he could think of was those questions and how every single time the answer led to one single name. Abhira. He is in love with her. It doesn't make sense but at the same it makes total sense. It's insane.  

Startled with the force of his realization that he had never once thought of Ruhi, his supposed true love, he got up hastily wringing his hands together, anxiously moving back and forth the length of his room. Her name no longer made his heart race nor invoked any kind of romantic notions. Rather, all this time she was like family to him. He had undoubtedly moved on from her.

Closing his eyes, he focused on one thing in the whirlwind of his thoughts. Abhira. Instantly and unthinkingly bringing a smile to his lips. He exhaled like an enormous weight had been lifted. Unburdened, weightless and soaring.

"I love you Abhira", he couldn't help but say it out loud into the universe.

"We know and we love you both" hollered Rohit and his cousins. Frightened out of his wits at the volume, he spun around to find the whole gang in his room, smiling ear to ear.

"You guys. What are you all doing here? "he hissed and then slowly looked everywhere but at them, asking in a low voice "And how do you know?"

The youngest of the lot blurted, "Oh everyone knew, except for you, of course, and we were waiting outside the room for you to come to your senses." He continued not realizing the others shooting daggers at him. "Took a long time but you got there in the end. Any more waiting and my legs would have started to cramp, Bhaiya."

"Okay, so all of you were basically spying on me. Huh? Was it fun?"

"That's not it. We are deviating from the actual point. And that is we miss Abhira Bhabhi too. It doesn't feel right without her. Things have gone from good to bad to worse after she left. Now that you know your feelings, please bring her back to this house." His cousins pleaded.

"Trust me, I would only if I knew where she is." and that was a mistake for which his ears paid the price.

"WHAT?" Everyone erupted together. He tried to silence them but they ganged up on him.

"Bhaiya, how do you not know where Bhabhi is? Are you not in contact with her? How can that be? For how long? Speaking rapidly one after another giving him a whiplash from all the questioning.

"Shut up. Now. And keep your voices down."

"Then speak. How can you let her go without knowing where or how she is going to live? You do realize that she has no family. She doesn't know much about this city either." urged Rohit gravely.

"I know Rohit. But she didn't want us to interfere with each other's lives. That was the deal between us. And it's not like I didn't try. I did call her after she left, but she never picked up." Armaan defended himself reluctantly. He knew it wasn't really justifiable. He should have tried harder to remain in her life even as a mere friend.

Tired, he sat down on the bed.

Seeing his brother so dejected Rohit let him off. "Alright, okay, it's water under the bridge for now. But do you have any inkling as to where she would have gone? Back to her home in Mussoorie maybe?"

"I don't think so. She never mentioned anything about going back to her place. All she ever talked about was to become a Supreme court lawyer like a broken record." Armaan shaked his fondly remembering the many times Abhira reminded him of her aspiration in life.

Hearing that, everyone except Armaan, slapped their forehead in perfect synchronization. The level of disappointment pouring out of them was palpable.

"What? What is it now?" his patience running thin.

"Bhaiya, how are you so smart but also dumb at the same time. I am going to blame it on the fever, for my peace of mind."

Ignoring the drama, Armaan wanted in on what his cousins knew but not him so he forgave them for being disrespectful and also because his energy was fully sapped by now to deal with the lot of them. "Now will you tell me what it is?"

"Supreme court, Bhaiya. In the entirety of India, there's only one Supreme court. That's in Delhi, which means Bhabhi is in Delhi. Now you get it."

"Not necessarily, she has to complete five years of practice to be able to become a lawyer at the supreme court. So she could go anywhere. Not just Delhi."

"I know the criteria, Bhai, but why would she be anywhere else if Delhi is her final destination." Rohit puffed his cheeks in mild irritation at his brother being so obtuse.

"Yeah you are right, that is possible and logical. If she is not here in Udaipur, then Delhi is the best case scenario." Armaan mused to himself.

Rohit heaved a sigh of relief at finally being able to get through his point. "Now, you are talking like the lawyer you are."

"Still, how am I going to find her in Delhi?" stressed Armaan.

Rohit put his hand on his shoulder and reassured "Not you. But us. There is nothing we cannot achieve when we band together." The cousins eagerly nodded their heads.

"Now, all of you, put a pause to your discussion and move out of the room. Let him rest. He is still weak with fever." His mother announced sternly, walking into the room with a tray, loaded with steaming food and another dose of medicines.

Grumbling at the excitement of planning being cut short, everyone exited the room unwillingly.

Armaan looked up at his mother sheepishly and then remembering something he said, "Maa, you have never liked Abhira, then why........

"Why did I push you to realize that you love her?" his mother finished his sentence for him.

"Because, my love for you trumps the dislike towards her.  To be honest, I was gratified when the divorce happened. I prayed that you wipe the slate clean and start over. But, God had different plans. When I saw you struggling without her, I could only bear it for so long. If Abhira is where your happiness lies. Then I am willing."

"Thank you, Maa. For everything really." said Armaan teary-eyed by the gesture.

"Don't thank me. It's what a mother does for her children. Now eat and take a good rest."

It really had been a long day despite being confined within his room. After many months, although sick with fever, he had never felt better. It felt amazing to be alive even amidst all the frenzy that had descended on their family, all because he is in love. His last thought as he fell asleep was of reuniting with the love of life.

Author's Note:

Didn't really plan on adding to the open ended story, but here we are. Again questions and constructive criticism are welcome.

Wishing all of you a great year ahead! Happy New year! :)

Edited by takiya - 3 months ago