निवेदिता माझी ताई Niveditā Mājhī Tāī on Sony Marathi - 15 Jan 9 pm - Page 3

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 3 months ago

Even if Yashodhan's proposal to Nivedita isn't dragged out, there will be enough obstacles to her acceptance. The feud between their families ... Yashodhan's non-enviable occupation ... bad timing with Asim's arrival.

I want Nivedita to become aware of Yashodhan's one-sided love and face a dilemma: if she hurts his feelings, she'll lose a friend, but does she love him enough to risk offending everyone else?

Vinayak and Malati have already warned Yashodhan not to get ideas about Nivedita. I hope that the drama in Yashodhan's family won't play out while Nivedita remains innocently unaware that she has a choice. It's always a letdown when peripheral characters keep a secret for weeks or months, and as soon as the person who needs to worry about it finds out, everyone expects an instantaneous decision so that the story can move on.

Normally, I find superstition distasteful, even when it's as harmless as a horoscope giving us a premonition of what will happen in the same episode. However, the scene of Radhika reading Yashodhan's tarot cards was thought-provoking. Will it be a puruṣa - no, mulagā like Kunal who comes between Yashodhan and his beloved? Or will it be a literal mulagā, Asim, already?

I am enjoying the irony of Radhika telling Yashodhan to pop the question before his rival gets in the way, even as Radhika says that Nivedita must marry the NRI and not someone with an unremarkable job. When Radhika finds out that she encouraged Yashodhan to propose to Nivedita, will she lower her expectations for Nivedita out of affection for Yashodhan? Or, will Radhika feel horrified by her mistake, and backpedal by discouraging Yashodhan?

Inadvertently, Radhika has instigated Ketaki to ruin Nivedita's chance with Kunal ...

md410 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: HalleNJ

Very good intro episode.

Nivi lives with her family (dad, mom and brother) she is an interior designer- she has so much love and respect for her dad.

But he has a "another" family - aseem and his mom and nivi & family is not aware of it.

Yashodhan (Dhanya) drives (chases) nivi to work just to gift and wish her on first day of work. He works in a car workshop and has two assistants who tease him with nivi. He likes nivi but not able to express to her.

It's nivi's first day of work to a school (where aseem is studying) and they show her walking towards aseem, his mom and the dad.

Good start.

All are acting so well. The kid is fabulous.

Mandar's (ashok) parents in mhrw is Nivi's parents in NMT smiley4

I do not understand of obsession of  TV shows about having two families. why promote bigamy when it is illegal 

Originally posted by: md410

I do not understand of obsession of  TV shows about having two families. why promote bigamy when it is illegal 

TV fiction can find its subject matter in any aspect of the human condition. Deceit and betrayal, favouritism, mid-life reevaluation, and sexual liberation are situations that humans experience that result in conflicts, dilemmas, upheavals, development of survival skills ... Why should TV fiction pretend that bigamy doesn't exist?

Are the storytellers of TV versions of Rāmāyaṇa or Mahābhārata or Kṛṣṇa's mythology "obsessed" when they retell stories that derive their drama from polygamy? When Rāma respects Kaikeyī as his own mother, or the Pāṇḍavas share a wife, or Kṛṣṇā Draupadī accepts Subhadrā, or Rukmiṇī indulges Satyabhāmā, that is not condemnation of polygamy! These stories tell us that harmonious coexistence of sexual rivals in one household is not only possible, it's divinely exemplary. Is that a harmful message, or a valid insight into the past?

Today bigamy is illegal, but it still happens in real life. TV dramas have a choice: avoid accusations of "promoting" bigamy by pretending it doesn't exist, or ignore the accusations because a scheming seductress, a crying heroine, and a repentant hero are good for TRP, or tell a well-thought-out story realistically, which might educate men to behave respectfully and responsibly.

Many viewers may be able to relate to the emotions of a wife like Sumitra, whose husband exploits her to look after the children and the home while he enjoys himself outside, spending money on a younger woman who makes him feel free.

Many viewers may be able to relate to Rajendra. Now that he has indulged in temptation, should he devastate his family for the sake of punishing himself? Or, by avoiding disgrace for himself, is he ensuring that Sumitra feels loved, respected, and secure as she deserves to feel, and that Nivedita and Nihar have a stable home?

Is Rajendra's relationship with Devika still sexual? Or, have they settled into friendship so that Asim doesn't know they're not a couple?

Let's see if Niveditā Mājhī Tāī goes in the direction of promoting bigamy as a sustainable lifestyle, or eliminates Devika for an easy way out, or just shows the characters being human.

HalleNJ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Md410, nowadays Indian shows isn’t complete without the angle. And those days they portrayed second wives as home wreckers but today they are shown as positive characters; at times i wonder what is the message they want to convey. Having second wife or affair is a good gamble in life? one example that I can give is anupama version in south, the second wife character is shown as the most sensible character. She is shown supporting her step sons and daughters and backing “anupama” when needed. She is also shown as a big support to the family. Some of these writers are women. So I really don’t know why such angles are being promoted. 

HalleNJ thumbnail

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

Even if Yashodhan's proposal to Nivedita isn't dragged out, there will be enough obstacles to her acceptance. The feud between their families ... Yashodhan's non-enviable occupation ... bad timing with Asim's arrival.

I want Nivedita to become aware of Yashodhan's one-sided love and face a dilemma: if she hurts his feelings, she'll lose a friend, but does she love him enough to risk offending everyone else?

Vinayak and Malati have already warned Yashodhan not to get ideas about Nivedita. I hope that the drama in Yashodhan's family won't play out while Nivedita remains innocently unaware that she has a choice. It's always a letdown when peripheral characters keep a secret for weeks or months, and as soon as the person who needs to worry about it finds out, everyone expects an instantaneous decision so that the story can move on.

Normally, I find superstition distasteful, even when it's as harmless as a horoscope giving us a premonition of what will happen in the same episode. However, the scene of Radhika reading Yashodhan's tarot cards was thought-provoking. Will it be a puruṣa - no, mulagā like Kunal who comes between Yashodhan and his beloved? Or will it be a literal mulagā, Asim, already?

I am enjoying the irony of Radhika telling Yashodhan to pop the question before his rival gets in the way, even as Radhika says that Nivedita must marry the NRI and not someone with an unremarkable job. When Radhika finds out that she encouraged Yashodhan to propose to Nivedita, will she lower her expectations for Nivedita out of affection for Yashodhan? Or, will Radhika feel horrified by her mistake, and backpedal by discouraging Yashodhan?

Inadvertently, Radhika has instigated Ketaki to ruin Nivedita's chance with Kunal ...

that mulaga mentioned is definitely referring to Asim and not the NRI guy I feel. The NRI guy is shown as a red flag guy from first shot. 

But this a reality check for Yashodhan that Nivi doesn’t love him and would listen to her family in regards to marriage. 

And those days they portrayed second wives as home wreckers but today they are shown as positive characters; at times i wonder what is the message they want to convey. Having second wife or affair is a good gamble in life?

Other than Kasturī, I haven't watched any daily dramas that portrayed second wives as homewreckers. There was no bigamy in any of the shows I followed upto a few years ago.

On Jīva Zhālā Yeḍāpisā, JaLaWa was called Shiva's second wife by Yashavant, and even Shiva called him Siddhi's co-wife, but JaLaWa called Shiva his brother and Siddhi his Vahinī. No homewrecking here.

On Mehandī Hai Racanevālī, Esha went to ridiculous extremes to avoid Raghav at first, but when he wouldn't stay away from her, she plied him with drink to seduce him, allowed Pallavi to move her into their home, took over their Karavā Cautha, tried to electrocute Pallavi, confessed their adultery to the in-laws and then called it rape ... She was a homewrecker all right, but Raghav never admitted that he regarded her as his second wife while keeping secrets with her.

On Dāra Ughaḍa Baye, Chandrakala's stepson Rāvasāheba never forgave her for his mother's broken heart and the scandal, but she spoke defiantly in favour of "love" and she was supposed to be a sympathetic character.

On Ramā Rāghava, Pavitra is a saintly second wife who tries to get along with Lavanya, while Girish blames his bigamy entirely upon his victim Lavanya.

On Piratīçā Vanavā Urī Peṭalā, we were kept guessing why Bhalachandra had two wives, until at last we found out that he never told Bhima he was already married to Krishna. Bhalachandra would have been a homewrecker, except that Krishna stayed married to him and had another child with him. Krishna used to talk as if Bhima was a saint whose memory Krishna treasures, but they never met, right?

On Kasturī, Sakshi was a very likeable character and the victim of Samar's betrayal, but then she began to behave like a homewrecker, and Samar treated her like his second wife.

On Imalī (3rd generation), when Alaka said that Mira stole her husband Kunal, Mira's son by Kunal retorted that Mira gave Kunal the respect that he didn't get from Alaka. Betrayal is the victim's fault! Later, Mira was said to have drugged Kunal and become pregnant on purpose so that he had to marry her bigamously. Homewrecker! On the other hand, Mira says that Kunal lied about being unmarried. Not a homewrecker!

Niveditā Mājhī Tāī may be different from all of the above. So far, only Rajendra is facing disgrace for his bigamy. Devika is a loving mother despite any wrongdoing. Just as characters who break the law can be portrayed as generous, loving, and self-sacrificing, why not characters who break marriage vows?

md410 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

Md410, nowadays Indian shows isn’t complete without the angle. And those days they portrayed second wives as home wreckers but today they are shown as positive characters; at times i wonder what is the message they want to convey. Having second wife or affair is a good gamble in life? one example that I can give is anupama version in south, the second wife character is shown as the most sensible character. She is shown supporting her step sons and daughters and backing “anupama” when needed. She is also shown as a big support to the family. Some of these writers are women. So I really don’t know why such angles are being promoted. 

Yeah you are right.

Women are the one those are doing plots like this. 
call me old school but having an extra marital affair plots and glorifying it just does not fit well with me 

Edited by md410 - 3 months ago

A character with a tragic flaw can be dramatically appealing. That can be:

• someone who wants to obey family expectations, but has different desires and behaves impulsively
  • someone who works hard to invent a respectable identity that will be ruined when a past misdeed is exposed
  • someone who is honourable, loyal, and selfless in a relationship that is judged immoral by society
  • someone who lives with guilt and perpetuates the offense so that innocent people won't be hurt by finding out about it

If Rajendra and Devika were written as rude, entitled, ungrateful, malicious schemers who overspend on dirty habits, it would clearly send the message that adulterers are losers beyond redemption, period. Then we would be watching for Sumitra, Nivedita, Nihar, and Asim to dump the losers, and the good characters could only be happy when the losers leave them alone. Frustration with odious characters never getting punished would make us tune out.

Stains on a carefully cleaned tablecloth get more attention than stains on the floor-wiping rag. When Niveditā Mājhī Tāī shows that Rajendra loves Sumitra, Nivedita, and Nihar, and they love and respect him, we want him to clean up his act so that the happy family will be a reality. When we see how responsibly Rajendra and Devika look after Asim, we can't just wish that Asim gets adopted by perfect Yashodhan and Nivedita; we have to imagine forgiveness for the imperfect parents that Asim loves.

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 3 months ago
HalleNJ thumbnail

Originally posted by: md410

Yeah you are right.

Women are the one those are doing plots like this. 
call me old school but having an extra marital affair plots and glorifying it just does not fit well with me 

same here. I dont like it too. Affair is an affair, this is a way to normalise it. 

Kunal ordered lasagne and the waiter brought conchiglie with neither sauce nor cheese. Kunal had a valid reason to find fault with the restaurant, but obviously the creatives wanted him to make vague negative remarks about India in general so that the audience would dismiss him.

In my experience, men who leave India, refuse to learn to cook, and want a stay-at-home wife to control have the opposite attitude from Kunal. They are convinced that the outside world envies India for its brain power (best represented by males). Whatever people in the host country (especially female co-workers) do for them, it is taken for granted and never enough, and when speaking to someone of Indian origin, the self-aggrandizing NRI describes the host as not-Indian-but-decent.

I have never met someone like Kunal who wants to escape from India to maintain gender inequality. So, even as a caricature, Kunal rings false.

Kunal : "U.S. मध्ये घरकाम करणाऱ्या बायका नसतात."

Is the dialogue writer too lazy to do an internet search? Of course there are female domestic workers in the U.S.A.! Numbering two million plus, they're mostly born in the U.S.A. There are also over a hundred thousand male domestic workers.

Kunal, who earns Rs. 10 lakh per month (USD 12,000), might not be able to afford servants in the U.S.A., but they exist!

It's telling that Nivedita said, "घरात कामाला बायका असल्या तरीही" rather than "घरात कामाला माणसं असली तरीही." Apparently, the creative team's idea of gender equality championed by Nivedita is that women can have careers on top of housework, but menial jobs are still for women only.