Tripti Dimri on film’s viral ‘lick my shoe’ scene

priyashrvan thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 4 months ago

https://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/bollywood/triptii-dimri-on-animals-historic-success-being-labelled-national-crush-and-films-viral-lick-my-shoe-scene-golden-rule-is-to-never-9057282/lite/

“It reminded me of what my acting coach had told me, the golden rule: Never judge your character. The characters you are playing, the character your c0-actor is playing, all are human and humans have good and bad side. An actor must be prepared to play characters across the spectrum of good, bad and ugly, but if you judge a character’s motivations, thoughts, you won’t be able to play it with honesty. So that’s what I kept in mind.”

While the scene is obviously pushing her character to the edge, Triptii says she tried to flip the situation and put herself in place of Ranbir’s character in that scene. “I also thought that here was a woman who talks about killing his wife, father, kids, the entire family…. If someone tells me that, I will perhaps beat that person! Here, he does ask her to do that (lick his shoe) but also walks away later. He clearly is going through a lot of these (intense thoughts). Later when his cousins asks her what they should do with me, he says ‘Let her go wherever she wants to.'”

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Blueeeee thumbnail

"If you play a murderer, don't judge a murderer"

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

People are overreacting. What if he said the same thing to a male character ?

Edited by 2RsFan - 4 months ago
Stone-Cold thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: 2RsFan

correct.

there was nothing wrong with that scene at all. it's not as if he made her lick it. 

there was context behind it.

prerna4rishav thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

I haven’t watched the movie. But whatever I read so far, Zoya had harmful intentions for Ranvijay who is also an animal. I have seen in 90s movies villains like Danny or Amrish Puri doing worst to other male characters (e.g. movie Ghatak). I dont see why this specific scene is being seen from the light of misogyny. There were scenes where done worse to the double agents/moles in BW than this. 

Blueeeee thumbnail

Originally posted by: 2RsFan

It is still a humiliating and dehumanising thing to say to anyone.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Lick My Shoe smiley36

1t1svat1t1s thumbnail

This seems to be least of the problem scenes.  Whoever is making it viral, Nice job deflecting the narrative and proving the overall argument to be pointless. 

Sritishabir1 thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

Yes of course men here have no problem saying that it's a not a big deal.  I am sure if a woman slaps you with a chappal, you will be the first one to be violent.  Disgusting lengths people are going to justify this disgusting shit. 

NimbuMirchi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Stone-Cold

correct.

there was nothing wrong with that scene at all. it's not as if he made her lick it. 

there was context behind it.

@bold - Harvard, MIT and Penn university presidents agree with you. smiley37