Address MIDs in Bollywood Forum

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 7 months ago

The MIDs and trolling on the Bollywood forum are getting out of hand. Multiple people have deactivated or stopped posting as often. Tagging all BWF mods and Vijay. 

I hope you seriously consider some of the suggestions we have discussed, like a 48-hour waiting period + email verification before a newbie can post on the forum. 

---

In addition, please consider additional limits limiting newbies from the following

- creating a new topic (prevents them from creating bullying topics)

- posting in chat clubs (makes them actually engage in the forum)

- quoting or tagging other members (prevents them from targeting members)

- being quoted or tagged by other members (prevents members from engaging with trolls)

This can be done for 30 days + 30 posts (both, because people may create stashes of MIDs they can use for trolling in the future), or a threshold of 100 likes is met, whichever comes first. 

---

In the meantime is it possible to have additional moderators regularly sweeping the forum to remove problem posts and users? I know you all are busy and there are issues to attend in all forums. But this has gone on for weeks now and is getting exhausting. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Also, can someone remind me how to block users? 

Minionite thumbnail

Hi return_to_hades,

All your suggestions are great and it would be so helpful if Vijay could implement some of these.

In the meantime, do keep reporting the MIDs. We are trying to cover all 24 hours in a day amongst us so we do get to MIDs once they are reported, but it is also hard for us to see them all if they aren't reported.

To block IDs, you would have to go to the profile of that person and then you will see an option that says "block". Click on that and the ID is blocked.

Autumnn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Minionite

To block IDs, you would have to go to the profile of that person and then you will see an option that says "block". Click on that and the ID is blocked.

Can we have block feature without going to that person's profile? 

On their post itself if we click username a pop-up comes therein if block button is given will be useful.

Also totally agreed to what RTH wrote. MID menance is going out of hand now. 

Newbies restrictions if you don't want to all of IF then atleadt give it to Bollywood forum as it is required. 

No new topic or posting for them on bwf atleast....or make it mod approval posting for first ten days for newbies at least on bolly forum. Need of the hour.

Minionite thumbnail

Originally posted by: Autumnn

Can we have block feature without going to that person's profile? 

On their post itself if we click username a pop-up comes therein if block button is given will be useful.

Also totally agreed to what RTH wrote. MID menance is going out of hand now. 

Newbies restrictions if you don't want to all of IF then atleadt give it to Bollywood forum as it is required. 

No new topic or posting for them on bwf atleast....or make it mod approval posting for first ten days for newbies at least on bolly forum. Need of the hour.

Right now there is no other way, but tagging in Vijay again to review your suggestion.

vijay thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

The MIDs and trolling on the Bollywood forum are getting out of hand. Multiple people have deactivated or stopped posting as often. Tagging all BWF mods and Vijay. 

I hope you seriously consider some of the suggestions we have discussed, like a 48-hour waiting period + email verification before a newbie can post on the forum. 

---

In addition, please consider additional limits limiting newbies from the following

- creating a new topic (prevents them from creating bullying topics)

- posting in chat clubs (makes them actually engage in the forum)

- quoting or tagging other members (prevents them from targeting members)

- being quoted or tagged by other members (prevents members from engaging with trolls)

This can be done for 30 days + 30 posts (both, because people may create stashes of MIDs they can use for trolling in the future), or a threshold of 100 likes is met, whichever comes first. 

---

In the meantime is it possible to have additional moderators regularly sweeping the forum to remove problem posts and users? I know you all are busy and there are issues to attend in all forums. But this has gone on for weeks now and is getting exhausting. 

Thank you for the suggestions.

Currently we are working on the idea that if a Newbie or Groupbie post is reported by 5 non newbie members those account will be temporarily suspended for 24 hours which will hide their posts and limits their ability to engage on the site. That gives our Mods time to review those posts and take a call.

Lets try this feature out and if it doesn't work we will take more steps to combat this.

Edited by vijay - 7 months ago
Autumnn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: vijay

Thank you for the suggestions.

Currently we are working on the idea that if a Newbie or Groupbie post is reported by 5 non newbie members those account will be temporarily suspended for 24 hours which will hide their posts and limits their ability to engage on the site. That gives our Mods time to review those posts and take a call.

Lets try this feature out and if it doesn't work we will take more steps to combat this.

Please restrict before posting by newbies at least in Bollywood forum. let first five or even ten posts get posted after mod approval. 

Currently mid are writing in very bad language to members and it is getting unbearable. Putting restrictions after posting is not working so please put them before they post at least in bolly forum.

vijay thumbnail

Originally posted by: Autumnn

Please restrict before posting by newbies at least in Bollywood forum. let first five or even ten posts get posted after mod approval. 

Currently mid are writing in very bad language to members and it is getting unbearable. Putting restrictions after posting is not working so please put them before they post at least in bolly forum.

That would increase the workload for the moderators and would be discouraging for newbies. 

Please understand we cannot have separate posting rules for Bollywood forum. Let me discuss with the DTs and come up with a plan.

I appreciate your consideration. The moderators have been working hard to keep BWF clean and respectful. I do recommend reconsidering some newbie restrictions. It is not extreme and should not deter newbies genuinely interested in topics. 

Another thought I had shared in BWF is forms to enter certain forums. Many Reddit forums or Facebook groups require filling out a form and receiving moderator approval. For example a movie review group that I am part of in Facebook asked for names of favorite movies and movie series. A subreddit I am part of simply asks why you want to be part of that subreddit. Mods review and let people in. And this way mods know whenever a new person enter a forum. 

With all the things happening and all the things that need addressing, you thought making a note about taking over CC making in the middle of a cc during a crisis and then disappearing was the best idea? Why wouldn't you wait until the end and start a new CC with that announcement? Talk about trying to put out a dumpster fire with a gallon of gasoline. 

Edited by return_to_hades - 7 months ago