Lessons learned from English Vinglish(2012)

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 months ago
  1. The importance of communication: Communication is an essential tool for human interaction, and it is essential to learn the language of the people you want to communicate with. Shashi's struggle with the English language shows how important it is to communicate effectively, even if it means stepping out of one's comfort zone.

2. Never stop learning: It's never too late to learn something new, and Shashi's journey is a perfect example of that. Despite being in her middle age, she decides to take English classes to improve her language skills.

3. Don't let others bring you down: Shashi faces ridicule from her family members for her lack of proficiency in English. However, she does not let their comments bring her down, and instead, she uses them as a motivation to improve her language skills.

4. Self-belief is essential: Shashi's self-doubt and lack of confidence in her abilities hinder her from speaking English in public. However, as she starts learning and practicing the language, her confidence grows, and she starts to believe in herself.

5. Respect for different cultures and languages: The film highlights the importance of respecting different cultures and languages. Shashi's family members, who are fluent in English, often belittle her because of her language skills. However, as they see her struggle to learn, they start to appreciate and respect her efforts.

I love this movie❤️

Sharing my favourite scene here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnaiJBCedC0

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Witchofthewest thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

English vinglish was a really good social message movie. ❤️

No work is small, shashi used to make laddoo's and she was mocked for it but if you have skill and you are earning what's wrong? Atleast you are financially independent and confident. Shashi was confident from inside but all the taunts and mocking made her feel insecure a little bit but to overcome that she really did take measures and that's all we should do . If we want to do something we can , we just have to be confident that yes we'll achieve that. 

Shashi communicated well with others but her own family was not willing to accept her that's where she lacked in communication. The kids and the husband never really realised what shashi actually wants so the lack of communication was from their side.

mintyblue thumbnail

I wanted a different ending, though

Witchofthewest thumbnail

Originally posted by: mintyblue

I wanted a different ending, though

Like?

mintyblue thumbnail

I wanted her to walk off into the sunset with the French guy who loved and respected her❤️

YourCat thumbnail

Well what if you are not like Sashi, no desire or motivation to prove your detractors wrong.. 

Witchofthewest thumbnail

Originally posted by: mintyblue

I wanted her to walk off into the sunset with the French guy who loved and respected her❤️

I loved that she didn't because tho her family keeps mocking her they love her as well. 

She was a married woman with kids as well . If the family was evil and all then it would have been fine but shashi proving her worth and superiority infront of the fam members was a good scene overall.

Witchofthewest thumbnail

Originally posted by: YourCat

Well what if you are not like Sashi, no desire or motivation to prove your detractors wrong.. 

Everyone has a different personality. Maybe one can not be shashi but somewhere we need to have desire or motivation to go on and that comes sooner or later. Even in shashi's case initially she was living the way she used to . She was suffocating and silent but she took the measure tho it was late but yea she did and that's what matters.

mintyblue thumbnail

It takes all types to make a world

Honestly, there's no "right" or "wrong" way to be. Just don't let people bring you down. 

Talis thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: palakluvsabhiya

I loved that she didn't because tho her family keeps mocking her they love her as well. 

She was a married woman with kids as well . If the family was evil and all then it would have been fine but shashi proving her worth and superiority infront of the fam members was a good scene overall.

Her family except for her mother in law and spoiled young son were mean spirited selfish abusive garbage.    She shouldn't have had to prove anything, she was already superior to them from the beginning.  Her husband and daughter didn't work for forgiveness and they should have.  That bed scene where she's trying to talk and he ignores her and bottom line just uses her for sex as if she's just a body that belongs to him made my skin crawl.  And you know this is not a one time things but an entire marriage thing.  Unfortunately, it's realistic that she stayed with him but I still wish she hadn't.