Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

blue-ice.1 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 12 months ago

Googled a pic to see how it looked originally...and damn why would they tear down this beauty??๐Ÿ˜•

Eros Cinema - Movie Theater in Mumbai

kar08 thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8

That's terrible. They should instead work at preserving all the Art Deco buildings all over South Bombay. 

oyebollywood thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: blue-ice.1

Googled a pic to see how it looked originally...and damn why would they tear down this beauty??๐Ÿ˜•

Eros Cinema - Movie Theater in Mumbai

Waqt waqt ki baat hai

Many Old mumbai single screen shut down or some renovated and reopened those were real acche din of bollywood

Mr.Abrol thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Wonder if bystanders like Ms.Bakshi would have simply left this property as some art deco only if rather she was to be the owner of this humongous cash cow . 

LeenaRG thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Eros is part of the UNESCO Art Deco heritage enclave. Highly unlikely that it will be torn down. But then you never know, anything is possible if there are very big names like Adani/Ambani involved. Everything about Eros is shrouded in secrecy right now.

It is true that the interiors have already been gutted. All the beautiful memorabilia have probably been looted already but the exterior most likely will be preserved. At least that is the hope of every SOBO resident. 

1t1svat1t1s thumbnail

A country which cannot respect and preserve itโ€™s history and historical monuments, how will it teach itโ€™s future generations about the right and wrong?

sev.puri thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

I genuinely think Mumbaikars would be way more pissed at Prithvi theatre closing down than Eros. Prithvi shows ek taraf, Prithvi cafe doosri taraf ๐Ÿคค 

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Eros is a UNESCO World Heritage site, so I doubt it will be destroyed. From what I heard, it will be renovated and restored, not destroyed. The theatre has been defunct since 2016. Which means that's a lot of precious wasted space. So renovation and restoration are welcome, especially to make the space usable. 

It is heartbreaking to lose beloved structures to development. Half the buildings I knew as a child no longer exist. There is some anger and sadness when nostalgia disappears. But at some point, you realize that Bombay is exploding at the seams. It is what is needed and it is what it is. There are plenty of other art deco buildings peppered all over Bombay.