~ Wordsleuths Contest: Winners Announcement ~

DreamOfEndless thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Hello everyone!

With great pleasure, we announce the result of the Wordsleuths Contest. 

We were overwhelmed by the response we received, with a total of 90 entries submitted, including 44 microtales, 19 mini-drabbles, and 27 ficlets. The quality of the entries was exceptional, and we were thrilled to see so many talented writers participate.

Our heartfelt gratitude to our three judges: : Koeli, LizzieBennet and Bee222, who spent countless hours reading and evaluating each entry with great care and attention to detail. Their dedication and commitment to this contest were truly remarkable. We are incredibly grateful for their invaluable contribution.

A small token of thanks for our judges. 

We would also like to extend our sincere thanks to all the participants who submitted their stories. Your creativity and imagination shone through in every word, and we were deeply impressed by your storytelling.

A small token of thanks for all our participants.

Finally, we would like to thank everyone who took the time to read and vote for their favourite entries. Your support and engagement were instrumental in making this contest a success, and we are grateful for your participation.

Now, it’s time to announce the winners and the runners up of the Wordsleuths contest.

Credits:

Tags, siggies: oye_nakhrewaali

Color coding, participation siggy, write-up: tournesol

Trigger warnings: kidnapping, murder

Edited by tournesol - 1 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DreamOfEndless thumbnail

Image Popular Choice Runner Up: Microtales

Image nautankitadka

for 

Like the Royal Bengal Tiger, P.K Basu waited stealthily to make his move at the right moment, and nab the culprit in his game.

Image Popular Choice Winner: Microtales

Image SoniRita

for 

Byomkesh Bakshi's sharp mind and keen intuition always solved the crime, leaving criminals quaking in their boots.

Image Jury’s Choice Runners Up: Microtales

Image whimsical

for 

Amidst the sindoori smoke enveloping the pandal, and his own growing despair, a golden tooth flashed! Chipped. Feluda’s hand reached for the killer’s collar. 

and

Byomkesh saw right through Anguri Devi's alibi as the unmistakable waft of roshogullas hit him. Shobha Bazaar of course. She had killed her husband's lover. 

and

Image oye_nakhrewaali

for 

The waters of the Prinsep ghat were serene, except for the blood draining from the auror's mutilated body. Manjulika watched the seeping blood with glee.

Image Jury’s Choice Winner: Microtales

Image nautankitadka

for 

His footprints had traces of red clay. This was odd. Bankura was far away. Unless he was a potter. Of course! Case closed.

DreamOfEndless thumbnail

Image Popular Choice Runners Up: Minidrabbles

Image oye_nakhrewaali

for 

Sehmat studied the shawl Abbu had ordered from Shantipuri. She knew it wasn't just a shawl. It was something for her father-in-law to help with his promotion to General. She kept the shawl on a lamp and noticed the faint marks. Sehmat couldn't help but smile. Though the words were indecipherable, in that second, she knew where she had got her spying skills from.

and

Image SoniRita

for

As Feluda arrived at the Howrah station, he felt a familiar thrill of excitement. For years, he had roamed these bustling platforms, solving the city's most challenging cases. From the ornate architecture of the Howrah Bridge to the vibrant markets of the nearby streets, Feluda knew this city like the back of his hand. With his keen eye for detail and sharp intellect, he was ready to take on any mystery that came his way in this beloved part of his home.

Image Popular Choice Winner: Minidrabbles

Image la_Reine

for 

Ayesha was in a panic. The earrings her grandmother had brought for her from Bangladesh were missing. She had searched her whole room but there was no sign of them. 

Just then her phone rang. "Hello?" She answered.

It was Aishwarya on the line, her best friend. "Listen Aish, can I call you later? I have an emergency right now! My earrings are missing!" Just then she remembered Aishwarya's brother was a detective. "Wait! Could you send Arjun over?"

Arjun only took a few minutes to reach her, only to point out that she was wearing the earrings all along.

Image Jury’s Choice Runners Up: Minidrabbless

Image oye_nakhrewaali

for

Ayaan Bagchi had the perfect life. He had nothing to complain about.

But everytime he passed by the Maheshwari Nivas, the bunglow next to his, the police officer's eyes would search for Jeetu. He wished he could walk upto Jeetu and tell him how he felt, to tell him that he loved him. He would wonder what it must be to hold his hand.

Ayaan Bagchi had the perfect life, but Jeetu wasn't a part of it.

Image SoniRita

for

As Feluda arrived at the Howrah station, he felt a familiar thrill of excitement. For years, he had roamed these bustling platforms, solving the city's most challenging cases. From the ornate architecture of the Howrah Bridge to the vibrant markets of the nearby streets, Feluda knew this city like the back of his hand. With his keen eye for detail and sharp intellect, he was ready to take on any mystery that came his way in this beloved part of his home.

and

Image So-So 

for

4.00 am! Detective Mukhopadhyay was on his way from Lalbazar Police Station to Mullick Ghat. Finally he reached his destination. Through a maze of corridors and rooms, he reached the steps leading down to the Hooghly. A few men stood at the water's edge, bending over something. He approached and pushed them back. A lifeless figure lay half on the steps of the ghat. He turned the figure around. A man stared at him from sightless eyes. His body was bloated and pale in the light of the lamps. Detective Mukhopadhyay sighed wearily. A new case waiting to be solved!

Image Jury’s Choice Winner: Minidrabbles

Image MinionBoss

for

Sherlock’s eyes closed and his head moved to the sounds of the tabla. Colonel Sarkar had been right. Music was music in any form. You just had to absorb it. His right hand came up as if conducting, each beat giving his mind the rest it needed and giving him the cleansing he didn’t know he wanted. John had been right to bring him to Howrah. It was the break he had needed.

At that thought, he looked at John, who simply said, “I know.”

Sherlock smiled wholesomely, a rare occurrence, as he turned his attention back to the tabla.

DreamOfEndless thumbnail

Image  Popular Choice Runners Up: Ficlets

Image cheers2all

for

Entry No. 6

“Bakshi!!!”

Byomkesh Bakshi was enjoying a peaceful moment on the beach, away from all his cases, watching the sunset, birds, and a ship sailing in the distance, when an uncharacteristically disturbed Arnav Singh Raizada rushed towards him.

“I swapped Khushi’s jalebis with that creamy sweet yogurt thing Satya Di had sent…” Arnav said breathlessly, as he reached Bakshi.

“Mishti Doi” Byomkesh interjected. Satya, his wife had it sent over and asked Arnav to trade it with Khushi’s jalebis when he was complaining about her unhealthy eating habits.

“Yes, that…” Arnav acknowledged impatiently “…and I think it has backfired!”

Bakshi's curiosity was piqued. “Backfired? How?” Arnav had Bakshi’s full attention “Did she not like it?”

“Well…I didn’t wait to find out” Arnav said awkwardly, fidgeting with his Rolex. “Khushi was very angry when I snatched her jalebis” He looked up feeling distressed but continued, nevertheless. “She tasted the Mishti Doi, muttered something in Bengali and ran away” Arnav completed in one breath as he sank down besides Bakshi, uncaring of ruining his custom fit Armani suit.

“What did she say that has got you so depressed, Raizada?” Bakshi asked, trying to understand the situation.

“It sounded vaguely like – Ami tomato balushahi or something.”

Byomkesh shook his head at the absurd situation as he hunted for a song on his phone. Shoving it under Raizada’s nose, he went back to appreciating the sunset as his friend’s hesitant smile grew to a full-blown grin while watching the cheesy Bollywood number.

Image MinionBoss

for

Entry No. 5

Bablu repeated, “It’s quite simple. See this empty street. Find out why. The first person to do so will get the chance to lead the next time we are called to solve a case.”

Bilu raced down the street to the house with the empty chair, while Bhombol went after the man that had turned onto the street. Bachchu and Bichchhu divided the houses and started knocking on doors. Bablu smiled on seeing their eagerness. He knew that they would all find the reason and he had a feeling that Bachchu and Bichchhu would get to it first. He rubbed Panchu’s head and asked, “What do you think? Who will get to the answer first?”

Panchu fixed him with a solemn gaze as if agreeing with Bablu’s thoughts. Bilu came rushing and responded, “They’ve all been kidnapped.”

“Wrong,” Bablu said. Bhombol had also come back in this time, but his face fell at Bablu’s reply and he turned back to get a new response.

Bichchhu heard something and stopped Bachchu, “Listen. Do you hear that?”

Bachchu glanced at Bichchhu and both yelled out in unison, “It’s namaaz time!”

Bablu nodded, “Correct.”

Bilu scowled, “Not fair!”

“What’s not fair? Why did you and Bhombol assume that something had gone wrong? We need to keep an open mind until we have more details. That’s what they did. They kept an open mind and heard the azaan. Remember if you assume, you will only look for clues to prove yourself right,” Bablu responded.

Image oye_nakhrewaali

for

Entry No. 4

As the train rattled and Inspector Kishor Chattopadhyay read through the "Kasuati Ka Keher" he joined the pieces of the murder mystery that had left him stumped for the last seven years.

But what he failed to understand was the duality of Love. Love is supposed to be kind and giving. But the Love between Rani and Rishi wasn't kind, or, at least, he didn't feel so. But he also knew that love could be insane. Could Love have such two different faces? One was when Rani and Rishi moved on from the speed breaker in their marriage by being soft with each, and the other face was just scary. They had gone to the lengths of killing a man, of cutting Rishi's arm.

"You wouldn't cut your nails for me," His wife muttered in her sleep, and Kishor agreed. He loved her. His love had just one face, and he hoped that he would never have to look at the monster in him, at least when it came to love.

and

Image Quantum-Dot

for

Entry No. 19

"O Satyanweshi, please wait for a moment...."

Byomkesh saw a little boy running towards him.

After doing a brief Namaskar, the little boy presented his strange request. Byomkesh had not had such a case so far.

"Satyanweshi, I haven't seen my father for so long; he left me here in Nischindipur without even informing me of his whereabouts. Can you please find him and let him know that his Kajol isn't happy without him? And tell him to return immediately to his Kajol."

Byomkesh listened attentively to the words of this small boy. For a while, he felt as though his own son was voicing his complaints about his father. He couldn't return home for more than a month due to several back-to-back cases. He sensed that his son might also be looking for him like this kid, wondering when his Baba would return.

"Well, Kajol, can you please call your mother once? And I need to know every detail about your father. What's his name?" inquired Byomkesh.

"My mother's no more..... My father's name is Apurba Roy. Ranu Pisi says that Baba went to some faraway land by ship over the bottomless sea. Is his wanderlust more dear to him than his Kajol?" 

"Oh, I think I've heard your father's name before. Is he the famous writer?" 

"Yes."

"Well, Kajol, he shall be back soon. I promise that I'll look for him. Until then, let's come with me; I have a little boy the same age as yours."

DreamOfEndless thumbnail

Image Popular Choice Winners: Ficlets

Image HereAsMyself

for

Entry No. 15

Feluda handed me the painting he’d brought from Mister Samaddar’s room. ‘What do you make of it, Topshe?’

I looked at it intently, though I could find anything unusual in it.

Feluda shook his head. ‘Do be more observant, Topshe. Look at the upper right hand corner of the painting, just above the water. Do you see that longish bird next to the sun?’

I looked at the painting once again. ‘Yes’, I said. ‘But it doesn’t even look like a bird’

‘That’s because it isn’t a bird’, Feluda said, taking the painting from me. ‘It’s a scratch and it wasn’t there when Mister Samddar showed us around the house two days ago. In all probability, the intruder broke into the room, crashed against the bedside table in the dark and the painting fell on the floor. The broken glass scratched the surface of the canvas. Mister Samaddar had the painting repaired the next morning and told his wife she’d only dreamt of the attack’.

‘Why would Mister Samaddar lie?’ I asked.

‘Why does an art critic as snobbish as he keep this rather juvenile painting framed on his bedside table?’ Feluda retorted. ‘Possibly for the same reason that he’s trying to cover up all evidence of a break-in: sentimental value.’

‘You mean he knows the intruder?’ I asked, incredulous.

‘Yes’, replied Feluda thoughtfully. ‘Unless I am much mistaken, our mysterious man of the night is the Samaddars’ son, Paritosh.’ 

Image la_Reine

for

Entry No. 17

I had always been a curious person, so I couldn’t help myself when I saw 2 men ogling a building. I just had to go and see what was so interesting about this building, that these men were frozen in one place for the past ten minutes.

I decided to walk up to these men and have a chat while I waited. As soon as I reached them, one of them turned around as if he had eyes at the back of his forehead. 

“Are you a CBI officer?” I joked. “Or maybe a psychic?”

“Private investigator, Sherlock Holmes.” He put his free hand forward to greet me. “Oh wow, nice to meet you! I noticed you have been looking at that building, did something happen there?” I questioned him.

“We have come here to investigate the Bengali Baba. Do you know anything about him? We have found clues about some suspicious activity in that building.”

How could I tell him that the Bengali Baba he was searching for was right in front of him? “No,” I smiled, and walked away.

and

Image SoniRita

for

Entry No. 9

Byomkesh Bakshi had always been fascinated by the strange and the unusual. So, when he received a letter from a scientist named Dr. Panda, he was intrigued. Dr. Panda claimed to have made a groundbreaking discovery, one that would change the world forever.

When Byomkesh arrived at Dr. Panda's laboratory, he found the scientist in a state of panic. Dr. Panda explained that he had created a device that could transport objects and people to alternate dimensions. But something had gone wrong, and he feared that he had unleashed something dangerous into the world.

Byomkesh quickly realized that Dr. Panda's fears were not unfounded. A strange, otherworldly creature had emerged from the device, wreaking havoc on the laboratory.

Using his quick thinking and sharp mind, Byomkesh was able to outsmart the creature and destroy the device. Dr. Panda was relieved, and thanked Byomkesh for his help.

As he left the laboratory, Byomkesh couldn't help but think about the strange and mysterious forces that lurked just beneath the surface of the world.

DreamOfEndless thumbnail

Image Jury's Choice Runner Up: Ficlets

Image MinionBoss

for

Entry No. 26

Those streets. Those winding lanes. Those houses. Those shops. It all looked so barren. Everything was there. The trash bins. The cycle. The light above that beautiful amber house. The broken rolling chair. Everything was there, and yet there was nothing.

She watched as a lone figure loped down the street, attempting to carry a bag and drag another behind. The emergency clearing had taken everything. She had come to Bolpur to find a missing boy. But here a whole ward was deserted. Empty. 2000 people just vanished.

She walked down the street checking every house and shop, every nook and cranny. But there was no one and no sign of what had happened. She picked up a leaf from the ground. It was a weird colour. She had never seen a bluish-purple leaf.

She stood up to find a baba in front of her. She looked at him, confused. Where did he appear from? The baba seemed to read her mind, “This is nothing but a dream. Harish is safe at home and you are asleep in Mumbai. When I snap my fingers, your eyes will open and you will see.”

Asha reached out to stop the baba, but before she could, he snapped his finger. Asha awoke with a start and frowned. No it couldn’t be. Not a dream. She touched her forehead to find she was running a fever. Then her eyes went to her nightstand and the bluish-purple leaf. How could it be?

Image Jury’s Choice Winner: Ficlets

Image MinionBoss

for

Entry No. 5

Bablu repeated, “It’s quite simple. See this empty street. Find out why. The first person to do so will get the chance to lead the next time we are called to solve a case.”

Bilu raced down the street to the house with the empty chair, while Bhombol went after the man that had turned onto the street. Bachchu and Bichchhu divided the houses and started knocking on doors. Bablu smiled on seeing their eagerness. He knew that they would all find the reason and he had a feeling that Bachchu and Bichchhu would get to it first. He rubbed Panchu’s head and asked, “What do you think? Who will get to the answer first?”

Panchu fixed him with a solemn gaze as if agreeing with Bablu’s thoughts. Bilu came rushing and responded, “They’ve all been kidnapped.”

“Wrong,” Bablu said. Bhombol had also come back in this time, but his face fell at Bablu’s reply and he turned back to get a new response.

Bichchhu heard something and stopped Bachchu, “Listen. Do you hear that?”

Bachchu glanced at Bichchhu and both yelled out in unison, “It’s namaaz time!”

Bablu nodded, “Correct.”

Bilu scowled, “Not fair!”

“What’s not fair? Why did you and Bhombol assume that something had gone wrong? We need to keep an open mind until we have more details. That’s what they did. They kept an open mind and heard the azaan. Remember if you assume, you will only look for clues to prove yourself right,” Bablu responded.

DreamOfEndless thumbnail

ImageImageImageImageImage

Many congratulations to all the runners up and winners 🎉, and once again a big thanks to everyone who participated in the contest! ❤️

If you are yet to read the stories, please have a look at all the stories at the Wordsleuths Voting thread.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5321849

And with this, it’s time for us to take your leave.

Participants are free to publish their submissions in the FF forum, FF section, or Writer's Corner forum if they wish to do so. In case of FF section, whether you should publish your stories as a separate book or as a collection will be clarified by the Fan Fiction Editors.

Thank you for being there with us, and hopefully all of you had a wonderful time. 🤗

DreamOfEndless thumbnail

Finally posted the results smiley36

Congratulations to all the winners and runners up 🎉

Thank you Bee for being such a wonderful co-host and judge. None of this would have been possible without your support 🤗

Thank you Shibz for the beautiful siggies and tags 😍 I almost wished that I was a participant after looking at those siggies 🤣

Thank you Appy and Lizzie for being such wonderful judges! You guys are amazing 🤗

Thank you everyone for participating, reading and voting. None of this would have any meaning without your enthusiasm and support. ❤️

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail

Congratulations to all of the winners and runners-up! Thanks to the organizers for this contest. I enjoyed reading all of the stories.

DreamOfEndless thumbnail

Originally posted by: tournesol

Finally posted the results smiley36

Congratulations to all the winners and runner ups 🎉

Thank you Bee for being such a wonderful co-host and judge. None of this would have been possible without your support 🤗

Thank you Shibz for the beautiful siggies and tags 😍 I almost wished that I was a participant after looking at those siggies 🤣

Thank you Appy and Lizzie for being such wonderful judges! You guys are amazing 🤗

Thank you everyone for participating, reading and voting. None of this would have any meaning without your enthusiasm and support. ❤️

Thanks for voting!