Posted: 1 years ago

So Aubrey Plaza is well known for her deadpan expressions and delivery. She has a reputation as the weird emo girl. But Aubrey Plaza on SNL was perhaps one of the best SNL episodes of the modern era. 

This one completely leans into her deadpan. Also, Chloe Fineman is LEGENDARY. The White Lotus theme killed me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAprAHEw18I

--

Speaking of White Lotus, I hated the show. But I would watch Black Lotus anytime. Oh man, I didn't even recognize Aubrey in this one. She leaned into her half-Puerto Rican roots. Also, Chloe and Ego are the best cast members currently. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdDK7_M59os

--

And then this one is a masterpiece in physical comedy. I mean, it is kind of stupid. But I have seen it umpteen times today and die laughing each time. It's all in the absurdity and timing of the screams. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0azwTiI-PhQ

I didn't think anyone could top Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. Then I was like, Kate McKinnon and Cecily Strong are hilarious. Now I am like; we're in the golden age of female comedy. 

To keep this Bollywoodish - seeing women nail comic sketches in SNL makes me wonder - why is the female comic scene in India relatively weak? In most Bollywood comedy movies, the men take center stage. Women are reduced to flowerpots. 

I mean Hollywood does have its skewed sexism. But in My Cousin Vinny (one of the best comedies of all time IMO) Joe Pesci is the start - but it is Marisa Tomei's Mona Lisa Vito who everyone remembers. She nails her testimony. In both knives out and the Glass Onion, the female characters are substantial to the humor and the mystery. Mean Girls, Miss Congeniality, Legally Blonde - some of the iconic comedies of modern times all centered around female leads. And in a show like White Lotus, a 60 year old woman like Jennifer Coolidge becomes the breakout star everyone loves. 

Of course, there have been some exceptions - you simply cannot sideline Tabu whether its comedy or drama. And the likes of Sheeba Chadda and Seema Pahwa nail it each time. Ratna Pathak Shah is also renowned for her comic timing. But in general - the female comedy scene seems bleak in India. 

Damn, I keep forgetting how unwatchable SNL is 

Originally posted by semantic.error

Damn, I keep forgetting how unwatchable SNL is 

You found these sketches unwatchable. I'm curious why, because I laughed so much. 

I know her as Cat Adams on Criminal Minds. A psychopathic serial killer who becomes obsessed with Reid. 

Originally posted by return_to_hades

You found these sketches unwatchable. I'm curious why, because I laughed so much. 

I didn't get to the third one. But the first two are both lazy. Take whatever's popular, add some stereotype, do exaggerated voices. The comedy is always loud but there's never anything clever. 

Did they even do any writing on the Megan one? Feels like they just copy pasted a bunch of tweets and called it a day. It's giving r/fellowkids. 

Sridevi was pretty good at comedy. The Chaplin scene in Mr. India was hilarious.

Juhi Chawla is another good comedian.

Tabu does deadpan comedy very well.

Originally posted by IAmLuvBolly

I know her as Cat Adams on Criminal Minds. A psychopathic serial killer who becomes obsessed with Reid. 

Hmm. I have not seen it. I know her from Scott Pilgrim, Safety Not Guaranteed, To Do List, and more recently Happiest Season and White Lotus. I do want to see Emily the Criminal. 

Originally posted by semantic.error

I didn't get to the third one. But the first two are both lazy. Take whatever's popular, add some stereotype, do exaggerated voices. The comedy is always loud but there's never anything clever. 

Did they even do any writing on the Megan one? Feels like they just copy pasted a bunch of tweets and called it a day. It's giving r/fellowkids. 

Legit. It's not everyone's cup of tea. 

The third one too is based on a viral clip. But it is the stupidest skit. And that's what made me laugh. 

Personally, I think even when you jump on a pop culture bandwagon - you have to do it right. Its like meme templates. Some people use them brilliantly, and others are just lame and make you roll your eyes. But my brilliant can for sure be someone else eye roll. 

Originally posted by HearMeRoar

Sridevi was pretty good at comedy. The Chaplin scene in Mr. India was hilarious.

Juhi Chawla is another good comedian.

Tabu does deadpan comedy very well.

Yes. Sridevi was great. She was hilarious in Chaalbaaz too. Juhi, too does have great timing. I love some of her comedies with SRK and Aamir. Overall, I find SRK and Aamir comedies worth more repeat viewing than romances. Very few leading ladies these days get the funny roles like Sridevi and Juhi did. Even Madhuri had some funnies here and there.