Why did Nani differentiate between Anjali and Manorama?

Posted: 1 years ago

When Manorama wanted to buy a piece of Jewellery, Nani made a big fuss.  Not just that, she did not appreciate when Arnav bought a necklace for Manorma. (Episode 10)

I know it did not start it that way.  Manorama skipped Satsang with an intention to buy jewellery in Nani's absence.  Nani reprimanded Manorama for lying and she even said lying is a punishable offence in their house.  

Side note:

1. What was Nani's punishment for Manorama for lying?🤔
  2. Anjali was aware of the punishment and she even tried to calm down Nani to save Mami from the punishment.  But, after Shyam's truth came out, the same Anjali went on a lying spree to meet Shyam behind her family's back.🤥
  3. Does that mean punishment for lying is reserved for only Manorama?🤔

Now back to the incident.  According to Nani, Arnav buying a necklace equals to pampering Manorama.  

Manorama's husband works, son works and she has a nephew who is grateful for her initial investment in his business, which turned into one of the top businesses in a short span of time.  If they buy jewellery for Manorama or if Manorama wants to buy jewellery using their money, why is it wrong?

On the other hand, Nani pampered Anjali to no end and never objected for Anjali to buy a truckload of jewellery which she hardly repeated in the 1.5 years we have seen her.

In other words, Anjali can be pampered but not Manorama.

Anjali can buy whatever catches her fancy using her brother's money, but Manorama can't buy whatever she wants using her husband's, son's or nephew's money.

Is it a class issue?  I would love to know.

Cheers..

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

coderlady thumbnail
Most Comments (2023) 1 Thumbnail Most Comments (April 2024) 1 Thumbnail + 9

I only saw a few episodes of the show, but know it from reading the stories here. Nani usually did not come across as a person who looked down on people for class reasons. She was classy herself and was very aware of their status though.

Manorama acted like a classless person most of the time with her putting down the Gupta sisters. Her crass behavior got on Nani's nerves. That may have been part of the reason.

Also there is the different treatment between a daughter of the house VS a daughter in law. Anjali, being the daughter, "deserved" everything. She was pampered to no ends. Manorama, Payal, Khushi did not get that.

canapoem thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Raji, most of these questions are valid and don't know if the writers ever gave any deep thoughts to such questions.

And having said that, Nani was no less hypocrite in the show is what I have understood over the years.Though she did have a good heart but she was very poor in finding long term solutions or look at the bigger picture. 

Originally posted by: coderlady

I only saw a few episodes of the show, but know it from reading the stories here. Nani usually did not come across as a person who looked down on people for class reasons. She was classy herself and was very aware of their status though.

Manorama acted like a classless person most of the time with her putting down the Gupta sisters. Her crass behavior got on Nani's nerves. That may have been part of the reason.

Also there is the different treatment between a daughter of the house VS a daughter in law. Anjali, being the daughter, "deserved" everything. She was pampered to no ends. Manorama, Payal, Khushi did not get that.

@BOLD: That is a very good point and I totally understand the age old practice.

My observation was based more on Nani who refused to be pampered (by Arnav during her pilgrimage), who lead a simple life and never indulged in luxuries herself encouraging and supporting Anjali's extravagant life style made me question Nani.

Cheers..

Originally posted by: canapoem

Raji, most of these questions are valid and don't know if the writers ever gave any deep thoughts to such questions.

And having said that, Nani was no less hypocrite in the show is what I have understood over the years. Though she did have a good heart but she was very poor in finding long term solutions or look at the bigger picture. 

I agree.  Her hypocritical behaviour and poor judgement actually made Anjali more weak. 

Cheers..

coderlady thumbnail
Most Comments (2023) 1 Thumbnail Most Comments (April 2024) 1 Thumbnail + 9

Nani did not like Manorama. When you don't like someone, you see every little fault.

dramebaaz.af thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

This is such a fantastic post Raji ji, thank you so much for keeping this place going!!

I definitely think it was a class issue for Nani. While it wasn't expanded upon much, it was insinuated enough time for us to believe that Manorama belonged to a lower class, or was someone who violated some core behavior that she should have abided by to keep face when she married Mahender. 

Anjali being born into the family was allowed any digressions where as Manorama marrying into the family was not simply because that made her an outsider never accepted. 

Nani was definitely not as classist towards the Guptas but perhaps it was because they exemplified the values of honor to an extent which was something that the insinuation of eloping with Manorama and Mahender deprived them of. 

She is definitely a hypocritical characters whose biases and classism extended to only those she didn't accept as her own

ssttuuttii thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Hey! Glad to have come across this interesting post.

I read the others' viewpoints and quite agree with some of them. But I think one point missed by everyone is that Anjali was always the most pampered one in that household... even more than Arnav or Akash.

I don't remember a single instance where anyone went against Anjali's wishes (except Arnav not bringing Shyam back... and we know how long that lasted 🤔). Arnav was the only one ever to argue with her.. and even then, it was more of squabbling over silly matters the way siblings do. He never disagreed with any important decisions she made.

Considering all this, I'm not surprised that Nani seemed to favor Anjali over Manorama because everyone always favored Anjali more (including Manorama herself).

I've a theory about why Anjali was favored so much. One reason was probably her limp, the second being her broken engagement/marriage (the first one in the past.. before Shyam that is). Arnav and Anjali not only lost their parents that day but also their home. It made both the kids suddenly vulnerable and Nani, Mama-Mami might have pampered them for these reasons. I like to think that both of them were equally pampered (bcz Arnav is fairly used to getting his way too)... but Arnav toughened up due to his experiences while Anjali went mellow. Their Chacha's betrayal made Arnav think it was best to stay alone and so he rejected emotional support... while Anjali tried to cling to everyone and lapped up all the attention, thus ending up being more pampered.

It is interesting to look at this from a Psychological POV, because both of these behaviors are easily recognized in people with Abandonment issues. Arnav and Anjali went through similar experiences, just reacted differently to it...