ASYA FF – “Kaise Katan Birha Ki Ratiyaan”

Posted: 1 years ago

Hello lovely people! 

Happy New Year to all and our love for Asya fan fictions in 2023 still going strong. 

This nostalgia, I tell you ❤️

I thought of this a while back and decided to write it finally, here are the first six pages of my word document 🌼  As always, it is show based storyline with lots of khayali pulao!

Happy Reading ✨

----------------------------------

{Our story starts episode 163, after Zoya is threatened with that stupid 'pencil was it?!' in her face, after billi laces invitations with something and Zo gets all dizzy. Long story short, one before mehendi. kay, go read my version now :p }

-------------------------------------------------------------------

“Kaise Katan Birha Ki Ratiyaan”

कैसे कटन बिरहा की रतियाँ

“Dafan Khud Kare, Phir Sog Bhi Manaye”

Her tears floated like the white curtains of her window.

Forward. Backward. The broken light dangling from its pole on the street kept swinging. She had heard the knock but refused to acknowledge it. She’d seen the silhouette and faced the other way. The broad shoulders outlining the door knocked the third time.

Before she could sigh again, the door swung open, half from the tormenting wind, half the sway of his hand.

“Can I come in, Miss Faaroqui?”

She chose not to speak. Her throat still heavy. She focused on the swinging light. Ten seconds of silence before he started “I…what I mean is I should have listened, when you came to tell me that you were suspicious.”

His voice broke in places coated with sadness more than anger.

“If I knew she was…” Asad was unable to continue; Tanveer’s betrayal bubbling. When Zoya had smartly recorded her threatening and claiming the man in question as hers, the discovered video later on the dinner table had moved the whole house.

Tanveer openly talking about her tricks, pinning Zoya against the wall, trying to attack her, feigning innocence when Asad came into the room - her malice had set the trusting hearts on fire.

The worst of it all?

Zoya had called upon him earlier explaining it all at multiple different times. But his disbelief had caused her scrambling for proofs. Taking extreme steps just to voice the truth. Again.

“I shouldn’t have believed her words.” The light rocked again with the forceful wind. Forward. Backward. Zoya’s body a stone in the room watched it stoic. “I should have trusted your opinion. You shouldn’t have to go to such extremes…”

“No, I shouldn’t” her calm yet firm voice cut through his words and the tension. There was a storm brewing. Asad braced himself.

She turned around finally focusing on his face looking straight into his sorry eyes. “I shouldn’t have to explain it to my fiancée” He took a sharp breath. It was the first time she had openly acknowledged what they now both knew. This marriage was real. The ring on her finger was real.

Tears made an appearance, freezing his heart colder than the dark weather of the night. He’d made her cry. Again.

“I can take your anger Mr. Khan but your distrust I cannot.” Her eyes told him she had made a decision. Heart crumbled at his feet and nerves froze. She didn’t hear it when he whispered, “Please”

“How many more times do I have to prove myself worthy of you? Worthy of your trust. You…you are supposed to be my best friend” She couldn’t keep it in anymore, tears stained her cheeks, hiccupping she continued desperate for the words to get out. The urgency was too much. They needed an outlet. She needed an outlet before she went completely crazy.

“How do we make this work if I can’t trust you to listen?”

This time she heard when he said “Please, just let me explain”

“I am afraid you can’t.” She saw the hurt in his eyes but somehow forgiveness didn’t make an appearance today. Her heart had been trampled on too many times. It didn’t need yelling to shatter this time. 

His silent ears did the job. 

And somehow she wanted to claw the wound deeper. Hurt him with words like he did her. “I wanted to feel relieved after I gave my proofs of honesty to the entire house, but instead I felt insulted” Asad winced.

“When she yelled in my family’s face that you chose to trust her judgements like always. When my Aapi kept asking me if it was true that I had told you everything. When Jeeju looked Tanveer in the eye and said she must be lying because Asad would surely trust Zoya.” Tears flowed from their eyes, she kept going - digging deeper “Nothing was more painful admitting to their faces that you didn’t. I don’t know what you came in here expecting to hear.” And with that she shut the door in his regretful face.

Zoya dropped to the floor immediately hugging her knees close wondering if she’d destroyed her only chance at happiness. She sat for hours watching the light move from the space in her window. Her soul fluctuating forward, backward.

🌼 🌼 🌼 

“I am, and there is nothing you can say to stop it” Zeenat thundered down the stairs with her suitcase.

“Don’t be childish”

“You call this childish, Anwar? She was trying to hurt our Zoya. Frame her, Insult her or worse…” Zeenat couldn’t complete it “And you say it’s childish?” Dilshad entered the lobby with Asad and Najma in tow from the kitchen when Zoya opened the door to her room hearing the commotion.

Zeenat looked at Dilshad betrayed and spoke “What did anyone do when the truth was brought to life about her factory, about her fake wounds” It was Asad’s turn to burn under her angry gaze “Zoya was made to apologize to that woman, insulted and not trusted.” Aapi counted off the penalties on her fingertips “Nobody understood? Nobody believed? And you call her your daughter?”

“Aapi please” Asad interrupted “Leave Ammi out of this, she had no idea”

“You know what, you are right Asad Miyan. She isn’t to blame like you are. So, tell me, how many times Zoya came pleading to you her truth and you refused to believe. Because of your stupidity and rigidness, Zoya was in constant danger.”

Pin drop silence surrounded the room.

“I love you Khaala, I really do” Zeenat turned to Dilshad “But I can’t have my child in a place where she has to perform sting operations to prove herself. Her word should be enough” She looked at Asad and enunciated louder “Her word should be enough!”

Zoya didn’t object when her Aapi held her hand and led her out of the house. From the hallway where Asad stood, he heard a suitcase loading in the trunk, a door closing and a car starting.

A few minutes passed before Anwar spoke, “She is angry and she’s not wrong” He glanced at Asad’s bent head briefly and spoke “Khaala”

“I know” Dilshad replied in an understanding tone “I would do the same for my child. But Anwar…”

“I know” He held her hand gently “We all want the same thing. How we get there now is a little unclear. Time, I suppose, heals all anger. But…” Najma held her Ammi’s arm anxious. Zoya’s Jeeju was the only mediator. Please let him not hate us.

“But, at the end of the day it’s Zoya’s decision. Not mine. Not Zeenat’s. We won’t be repeating the same mistake of making choices for her.” He looked at Asad again, this time eyes firm, definitive “I can see you are sorry. But being sorry and receiving forgiveness are two different things. It’s up to you now to make her believe”

Asad couldn’t decide if Jeeju talked about Zoya or Aapi.

🌼 🌼 🌼 

{Song in title: Mere Humsafar (Female Version) by Yashal Shahid}

“Sametega Mujhko Tu Bata Zara?"

“So, what is this?” Zoya sat on the carpeted floor of the hotel room holding Zeenat’s hand on the couch beside her. Her voice was unsure and timid, she didn’t want to trigger her Aapi.

“I don’t know” Zeenat exclaimed wistfully holding her head in her hands.

Never mind. Trigger launched

“I didn’t mean to strain any relationships, I just couldn’t take you being in that house for one more second. The way she had you against that door, trying to…” Zeenat shivered.

“Hey, hey, she’s gone. Mr. Khan kicked her out”

“The only right damn thing he’s done” Zoya couldn’t even let a smile out at her Aapi’s use of the word damn.

“Remember what you once said to me Aapi” Zeenat looked at her sister questioning “That the law of nature says we are doomed as humans to make errors, to make mistakes, and regretful decisions.”

She looked at her Zoya for a moment, without blinking, retrospecting. They weren’t talking about Tanveer.

“You really do care for him a lot” It was more of a statement than a question.

“I do”

“What do you suggest then? Do you want to forgive him?” Her motherly hand swept Zoya’s bangs back from her eyes only for them to fall back at the same position.

Zoya knew times had changed, the fiasco with Akram had changed her family’s decision-making tactics. And for that she was grateful.

Twisted but true

“I don’t think I can imagine my life without them now…but I am also hurt…Aapi, I don’t know what to do.” she admitted more to herself than anyone. The past couple days had been painful but also changed her a lot. They had yelled and fought but she’d also shown him her scars, her shame, herself, and the way he had embraced her as his; moved her beyond reason. She knew forgiving him yet again would be wrong but never going back into his arms was a thought so agonising, she didn’t even entertain it.

“Do you think you’d feel the same way about him three years from now? What about five? Relationships look different to people inside them. Have you asked him what his idea of marriage is? Have you had the important conversations? The realities of daily lives?” Zeenat spoke grave, in thought.

Oof! The blow of many truths.

Zoya was certain about the way she’d feel about him in three, five, ten years, heck even a lifetime. But they hadn’t had the important conversations. Their relationship just was…different. He was knitted close but somehow still far-far away.

And Aapi was right­ – if they were serious about getting this somewhere ­­­­­­­­­­­­– Asad would have to come out his shell. He could no longer cruise on ‘Zoya would understand’.

“I have come a long way in this lifetime with your Jeeju, and the one thing that has kept us together all these years is…trust. Now that is something you can’t force. You earn it…Has he earned it Zoya? Have you earned his?”

If words were like a thunderstorm, her Aapi’s questions did the job tonight. The only sound in the room was the silent air conditioning. For the first time, Zoya Faaroqui was speechless.   

🌼 🌼 🌼 

Her phone rang again.

It was Asad.

Again.

She re-read his past four messages

5:45 – Where are you?

5:59 – Miss Faaroqui, please pick up the phone. We should talk.

6:15 – Zoya. Pick. Up.

6:18 – Jeeju said you are at Marriott. I am coming over.

It was the last one that gave her heartburn. She had thought about what Aapi said.

Somehow, she felt unprepared.

Unprepared because he would again work his magic and she was too weak to resist his eyes and pleas.

Unprepared because she knew she would forgive him in an instant and give into his sincere voice.

Damn you Jahapanah.

But she couldn’t afford to. It was Aar ya Paar. And she wanted Paar. With him. On better trustworthy terms. Her phone pinged again.

6:48 – Here.

wow!

If she wasn’t mistaken, a normal car ride would have taken 40 mins. She should know; she put it on maps as soon as he sent the text to make sure she was mentally prepared when he arrived.

A full five minutes later, there was a knock on the door. By the looks of it Zeenat already knew who it was. She glared at Anwar, rolled her eyes, and went inside. Anwar signalled Zoya to open up.

Taking a deep breath and smoothing her hair, she opened the door to a dishevelled looking Asad. He had one hand on the door frame, one on his hips, breathing heavy.

God, he was making it difficult for her. Looking all sexy and dishevelled and sexy.

“I brought you dinner” She looked at the pizza in his hand in disbelief. He said it so naturally like he brings her dinner every night.

Zoya glanced back once at the slightly ajar door inside the family suite knowing fully well they would be eavesdropping.

“Roof” she announced before shutting the main door behind her and climbing the stairs.

“You seriously have to take the stairs, Miss Faa…” Her glare quietened him. He followed suit.

On the roof, there was a different kind of silence between them.

Asad analyzed the half-eaten pizza and zero communication on the table. She hadn’t said a word and he didn’t know where to start. He decided to start with an apology.

“I truly had no idea she would turn out like this. I mean I knew her since we were five. I thought I was trusting a friend” his voice was a whisper that echoed with the gentle wind on the terrace.

Zoya gulped.

She’d stuffed her face as soon as they got upstairs to avoid. What was she avoiding, she didn’t know. She looked around the terrace, at the empty sitting nooks, the only occupied one sitting opposite her looking extremely concerned.

“You know you shouldn’t drive recklessly.”

Oh, she caught that. Najma had strictly ordered him to buy a pizza before making an appearance, otherwise it would have taken even less time considering the manic way he drove to get to her. “There wasn’t any traffic.” He lied.

One battle at a time.

His piece remained untouched in front of him. Zoya put hers down. Time to get serious

“Why are you here, Mr. Khan?”

“You know why?”

She feigned ignorance.

“Zoya, I was only trusting my friend. I know it’s no excuse but…”

“As you should” she cut him. Asad was a little taken aback by her calm response. Wasn’t she going to fight, yell, tell him ‘I told you so’?

“Mr. Khan, it’s not about you trusting Tanveer, it’s about you not trusting me” Her voice had an edge that made his chest tight.

I trust you with my life, he’d wanted to say.

Reflexively, he held her hand. Zoya had forgotten how far his touch reached. She could already feel herself weaken. She tried to remove herself from his grip but he didn’t let go. His hold tightened.

“I can’t change all the mistakes I have made and I have come to realize there are many. What I can promise from here on is to value your word as my own”

His touch, his gaze, his sincere voice, the dark orange sky, everything came together to give her chills.

“This isn’t as small a matter, that you’re making it” Zoya whispered

“It’s not. It’s huge” Regret dripped from his face “And I shall never forgive myself for it. For not being able to protect you.” His voice dropped several octaves like his eyes. Hands shivered remembering a falling chandelier.

Zoya looked at their hands. It was the first time in their relationship they were being completely honest. There were no pretenses. She knew he was here to bring her back. For him.

He knew that she knew.

“What is marriage to you?” she asked.

Asad looked up with remorse ridden eyes “It’s a promise.”

“And?”

He gulped “It’s trust.”

“Can I trust you…Asad?”

🌼 🌼 🌼 

{Song in title: Shauq from Qala}

Edited by Vintage_flow - 1 years ago

It was so beautifully written!! Your play of words just immerses the reader into the story completely! I didn't even realise I was nearing the end, it was so immersive, descriptive and just...*squeals* I NEED THE NEXT CHAPTERRR❤️❤️❤️❤️ (how hypocritical of me heh)

Happy new year to you too

As usual, this story was a reader's treat. I love the way you write song ka lyrics as title. I loved both of them and the way they foreshadowed the chapters. I am just in love with the way you write, so deep and poignant yet so easy to read. Coming to the story, I liked how to showed aapi and jeeju intervening which was what any sane parent will do and Zoya for once, keeping her self respect above forgiveness for asad. The show didn't do any of that (aapi and jeeju were brutally ignored there) they could've had such great scenes but anyways 🙄. REALLY liked the last bit, they were so asya, him bringing pizza and her eating it. Want to know how is he gonna make up to her. EAGERLY waiting for your next update (yaah! Kya kare thore greedy hain hum😁)

Off topic but are you a musicophile?

Originally posted by dreamxr

It was so beautifully written!! Your play of words just immerses the reader into the story completely! I didn't even realise I was nearing the end, it was so immersive, descriptive and just...*squeals* I NEED THE NEXT CHAPTERRR❤️❤️❤️❤️ (how hypocritical of me heh)

Thank youuuu so much 😌❤️ Always excites me to read comments from fellow writers. Will try to update soonish! 

Originally posted by Butterscotch11

Happy new year to you too

As usual, this story was a reader's treat. I love the way you write song ka lyrics as title. I loved both of them and the way they foreshadowed the chapters. I am just in love with the way you write, so deep and poignant yet so easy to read. Coming to the story, I liked how to showed aapi and jeeju intervening which was what any sane parent will do and Zoya for once, keeping her self respect above forgiveness for asad. The show didn't do any of that (aapi and jeeju were brutally ignored there) they could've had such great scenes but anyways 🙄. REALLY liked the last bit, they were so asya, him bringing pizza and her eating it. Want to know how is he gonna make up to her. EAGERLY waiting for your next update (yaah! Kya kare thore greedy hain hum😁)

Off topic but are you a musicophile?

Thank you love ❤️ It's a treat to read your comments too. I saw the song lyric as title someplace else and shamelessly plagiarized it 🥱 It just sets the tone to different chapters so perfectly!

Also, yes the jeeju aapi absence was such a let down in the show. So much potential wasted for good content. nonetheless, we'll have our own khayali pulao to make up for it. 

[Off topic but are you a musicophile?] - BIG TIME. nothing gets done in my life without music. Especially writing. I don't know how to explain it but even simple music with no lyrics speaks sometime (hello-hi-yes i know i am a cheeseball)

Anyway, always open for song suggestions 🌼

Originally posted by Vintage_flow

Thank you love ❤️ It's a treat to read your comments too. I saw the song lyric as title someplace else and shamelessly plagiarized it 🥱 It just sets the tone to different chapters so perfectly!

Also, yes the jeeju aapi absence was such a let down in the show. So much potential wasted for good content. nonetheless, we'll have our own khayali pulao to make up for it. 

[Off topic but are you a musicophile?] - BIG TIME. nothing gets done in my life without music. Especially writing. I don't know how to explain it but even simple music with no lyrics speaks sometime (hello-hi-yes i know i am a cheeseball)

Anyway, always open for song suggestions 🌼

even I am a big time musicophile (and a self proclaimed singer hehe)

Acha are you still active on your insta page? It's wayyyy easier to talk thr.

Hi there!

I am so glad to see you with a new piece! Gave me AsYa feels all over again! There's a reason why I call it 'AsYa' feels because that's honestly a thing and to bring it forth through writing is a tough job! You always make it look so effortless with your writing! I love the way you capture their intensity in the tiniest of details. 

Another thing I'm excited about is this plot! I had always wished that Asad is questioned for his lack of trust in Zoya. And ofcourse Tanveer to be exposed before the damage could be done, because Asad really can't be that dumb to be so easily fooled by Tanveer in the ugly way they showed in the show. But ofcourse I see it's Zoya who had to pull off some major stings to accomplish that:( Asad! Sigh :( Haha I wonder what he's going to do to win his lady back! It's only two chapters yet but I am so hooked already! I wish you hadn't stopped there:( Also very excited to see if they have real meaningful relationship conversations!

Please continue soon! 

Beautifully written as always! 

Originally posted by Butterscotch11

even I am a big time musicophile (and a self proclaimed singer hehe)

Acha are you still active on your insta page? It's wayyyy easier to talk thr.

yeah I am, my sign off is my insta page :)

Originally posted by Wandering_mind

Hi there!

I am so glad to see you with a new piece! Gave me AsYa feels all over again! There's a reason why I call it 'AsYa' feels because that's honestly a thing and to bring it forth through writing is a tough job! You always make it look so effortless with your writing! I love the way you capture their intensity in the tiniest of details. 

Another thing I'm excited about is this plot! I had always wished that Asad is questioned for his lack of trust in Zoya. And ofcourse Tanveer to be exposed before the damage could be done, because Asad really can't be that dumb to be so easily fooled by Tanveer in the ugly way they showed in the show. But ofcourse I see it's Zoya who had to pull off some major stings to accomplish that:( Asad! Sigh :( Haha I wonder what he's going to do to win his lady back! It's only two chapters yet but I am so hooked already! I wish you hadn't stopped there:( Also very excited to see if they have real meaningful relationship conversations!

Please continue soon! 

Beautifully written as always! 

Thank you Shreya! It's always so great to hear from you. Totally get 'Asya feels' because ditto. This writing is honestly redemption from the stupidity that we were subjected to as viewers with Tanveer nonsense 🥲  It made no sense whatsoever. Just trying to imagine a real life Asad and Zoya and what could have been ❤️ will update soon! 

“ Roothe Chaand Ka Hai Chakor”

Zoya locked the door behind her and moved slowly. His words spun her head.

No matter what I say at this moment, I cannot make you believe. Because I realize that I have damaged the trust you have on me. I have been ignorant and I… but …I promise I will never hurt you again.”

“Don’t make false promises, Mr. Khan”

“I would never hurt you on purpose, Zoya.” he said softly, holding her eyes prisoner with conviction.

And she was convicted. “I wish… I could say give me time but we simply don’t have that.”

“Agar aap saari zindagi bhi intezaar karne ke liye kahengi, main vo bhi…” Asad realized what he’d said in the heat of the moment.

There it was. His heart. Laid down in front of her. Out in the open.

Zoya knew.

Of course, she knew after his failed shamiyana proposal attempt; but how the mind still didn’t believe it.

It was her turn. She gulped and threw her hat in the ring. Sher Khan’s den. Occupied by an emotionally challenged and sometimes blindsided sher.  

“Main saari zindagi intezaar nahi karvaungi, Mr. Khan”

The dawn of realization in his eyes failed twinkling lights of the rooftop. A moment later when they had both calmed their accelerated breathing down, Zoya spoke, “I meant the cards when I talked about wait.”

“What cards?” he stupidly asked.

She tried not to roll her eyes “Wedding cards Jahapanah. Nikaah date.”

Before she even completed the full sentence, he responded with “Don’t worry about that, I’ll figure it out.”

A moment of silence passed between them while she made her mind “I know aap mujhe kabhi chot nahi pahunchana chahenge, kabhi mera dil nai dukhana chahenge. Main khud nahi jaanti main Aapi ke saath kyun a gayi…Mujhe…Main nahi jaanti humein kya karna chahiye”

Zoya. His innocent Zoya. How could he not trust this heart? Those eyes. He died a little more inside remembering his dismissals.

“Waqt dena chahiye” Asad replied with surety in voice. What if she changed her mind and fully loathed him by the end of this? How would his sun rise without her smiles? The last thing he wanted was waqt between them but maybe like Jeeju said, at the moment it was right.

“We can’t Mr. Khan” her voice edged on whiny “Phuphi ki izzat ka sawaal hai. I know you said you’ll handle it but I can’t do that to her.”

“I have an idea” Zoya looked up into his face to dissect what wave was bound to wash her ashore next.

“So, what’s the consensus?” Anwar spoke into the small hall of their suite making Zoya spin on her heel.

“You have to tell your Aapa, Zoya, you know that. But first tell me, so we can test drive it. What did Asad say? Did he apologize properly?”

“Yeah… Jeeju…” How exactly do you explain the level of sorry when someone says they’ll wait their whole life for you.

“What?”

“He said he’ll wait…a lifetime if he had to” Zoya never understood what particular moment growing up she had become so transparently confiding of her Jeeju. A parent she was blessed to have.

“Words have weight only with actions, mera bacha.”

“Why do I still trust him then?”

Anwar cracked a faint smile and patted the seat next to him on the sofa. Zoya sat beside him, putting her feet up on the couch. “When your Aapi tells me she doesn’t want anything for her birthday; even for a moment I don’t trust her” Zoya smiled inspite of herself “When your Aapi told me, she was happy being arranged married to some sucker, I didn’t trust her for a moment then either.”

Oh, Zoya loved this story! How her Jeeju and Aapi had met in college. Zeenat’s phony denial to Anwar’s love because of forced allegiance to her family’s wishes. His determination to make their wedding a reality despite of it all.

“Trust, my child is a five-letter funny thing. It doesn’t let us consider a single possibility that the people you love will pain you willingly. I think you very much know why you still trust him … but the real question to ask? Is he deserving of this undying faith you have on him, this hope you keep from him; one that you are probably going to hold for a lifetime now. Is he worthy of forgiveness, whenever it may come? Is he a man worth fighting for?”

“Always” Zoya answered; voice so indisputable that she shocked herself.

“That’s exactly what I said, when I asked myself these very questions all those years ago when I met your Aapi.”

🌼 🌼 🌼 

The knock on the door was answered swiftly. Asad’s hopeful face reflected in her eyes “Please, come in” He gestured Jeeju and Aapi but his eyes were on the New York girl beside them.

No, she hadn’t recovered from his upsetting actions, some known to him, some not. But nothing could make her leave.

Asad. A simple four-letter word. How did it make her feel four thousand things, she couldn’t even begin to comprehend?

His eyes, his voice, his heart.

The tingles, the butterflies, the heartache, the heartbeats.

Nothing could make her leave because she knew they didn’t find each other by accident.

“Zeenat” Dilshad said her name with tenderness. She held her hands but saw the detachment in the eyes.

“Kaisi hai Khaala?” Zeenat’s voice was soft as well.

“Ab thik hun” She replied looking at Zoya. Behind them, Anwar sighed.

It was breakfast, next morning, at the Khan Villa. Even though Zeenat had point blank refused to come back to stay in the house for the rest of their stay – citing the hotel bills had been paid and non-refundable – they had decided on having atleast a meal everyday together.

The wedding date was mere five days away.

Nobody had said anything about cancellations, so the Khan family also kept their mouths shut. Better not to give the Faaroquis ideas. Not with Zeenat’s high temper running these days, anyway.

Najma was terrified that Zoya was going to pull last minute ‘qubool nahi hain’, so was Asad.

He sat at the table in silence, quietly observing her from under his lashes from time to time when Aapi spoke, “So, Four dates huh, Asad?”

The fork slipped across the plate and his elbow off the table, he gawked at Zoya, victimized.

She just shrugged at him.

He tried to shrug back but Zeenat’s serious stare blocked it halfway, and he pretended to play it cool, so now it looked like he was rubbing his shoulders across the chair. Like an itchy grizzly bear. Miss Faaroqui!

“Don’t look at Zoya, of course, she was going to tell me. You see she trusts her Aapi, cause that’s what families do”

Aapi – 1 ­

Embarrassed Bear Man – 0

“Jee, voh…actually…of course” Asad looked at his Ammi’s questioning gaze and pretended he didn’t exist.

“I think we better get going” Zeenat placed the napkin on her finished plate “I was hoping to take Zoya to this dargah just outside Bhopal, we’ll back by evening, perhaps by then you’ll have said more than, Jee voh actually”

“Aapi” Zoya reprimanded.

Anwar rushed the pleasantries, afraid his wife might murder Asad with words. As soon as the door closed, the ladies of the house looked at him pointedly. Accusing looks and hands on their hips, they spoke together,

“SPILL!”

🌼 🌼 🌼 

“I have an idea” Zoya looked up into his face to dissect what wave was bound to wash her ashore next. She waited for him to speak. He was still holding her hand, so her voice wasn’t much good anyway. He took the same hand and lifted it between them, holding it tenderly.

“Ammi says, it’s not about how many years, but what we did in those years. True, we only have five days, but what if we make the most out of them.”

“Okay” She wasn’t sure where he was getting, but his hopeful eyes told her she needs to listen. He was speaking unprompted for once. And that was an achievement.

“I…” Asad got up from his chair all of a sudden – never letting go of her hand – and kneeled down in front of her. Zoya thought her heartbeat was frantic before. At this rate, he was going to hear the reckless racing from feet away.

“Allow me to take you on a…” his voice stopped at a stutter.

He attempted again “A…a…”

She held her breath.

“Date” he finally let it out with a big sigh and a satisfied mini smile on his face. He looked up to see Zoya releasing her held breath too, but stared at him funny.

The way his mouth choked on a simple word like ‘date’ had her recalling her friend’s commentary on her marrying a shy guy.

‘Girl, at this rate, y’all are gonna have to do it with your clothes on.’

The joke followed by ten more that had gotten progressively bawdy, made it into her mind at the wrong time and she’d completely forgotten the seriousness of the situation.

F off, brain!

“Miss Faaroqui?”

“Hmm”

“Would you give me these four nights?” his expression earnest.

Allah Miyan, he was making it so hard! If he knew, where her mind was wandering, he would fly off the terrace like superman and give her a desh nikala.

“Wait, I thought you said five earlier?”

“Well, the fifth day is mehndi night. So, I thought” I would have hopefully persuaded you enough to not give up on me just yet.

Her engagement ring winked at her from a reflection nearby. It was another kind of sign.

She settled on simply saying “Yes”

🌼 🌼 🌼 

{Song in title: Manchala by Shafqat Amanat Ali}

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sooo, I tried to make it a lil lighter but considering it's 4 in the morning, I might just have wrote gibberish for the last part! Anyhoo, hope you like it! K, bye ❤️

Edited by Vintage_flow - 1 years ago