They are remaking Malayali classic The Great Indian Kitchen 💀💀💀 - Page 3

Posted: 1 years ago
Originally posted by Rocky.Bhai

Whatever they were doing with woman in the movie was really bad... I am not justifying.. but the director was trying to portray that only hindu familes are these and Hindu men treats their women like shit...  

You haven't watched the movie. He didn't show anyone else treating women any better. 

It's idiotic to claim a movie is anti Hindu just like it was idiotic to claim Rohit Shetty is anti Muslim for having a Muslim villain. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 1 years ago
Originally posted by Rocky.Bhai

Then the director could have shown the characters Christians or Muslims.. why Hindu ? 

Because the purity and Impurity connected to periods is one of the main aspects of the movie. Though there are many other religion who are regressive enough to believe the same idea, they do not keep women in separate room for 7 days during periods. 

I really do not want to argue with you on trivial matters like religion when the movie itself intended to through light on the unaddressed and unrecognised plights of women. 

This film is not just about how educated girls are relegated to household work.

It is also about how pathetically they are treated in some parts of India, in their own home. The sexism they face by their in-laws or own grandfathers/grandmothers .... like not entering the kitchen during menstrual cycle etc etc

The film also shows how being a housewife/homemaker is taken for granted in general by everyone. It shows how people assume it is an easy 'job'. When in reality, it is no different than doing an unpaid labor job, with no rewards and appreciation.πŸ€”

I love the fact the subtle sexism in some households was also portrayed with subtlety

It was mind-blowinglysmiley32 because after a point it really becomes uncomfortable to watch the kitchen scenes.

I've watched the original film. The film hits close to reality. Not sure why they're remaking this but Sanya is a good actress, so I'd give it a try. I am still glad that the film got made in Malyalam first.

Because had it been made first in Bollywood first, the film would've landed in useless controversies like for portraying "Hindu" families as regressive and we wouldn't hear the end of it on Twitter, Social Media posts, comments, News House debates etc etcsmiley44

At least, now the film will be AT MOST criticized for being a remake and not living up to the mark. And hopefully the audience will be able to see the rooted message. Being a homemaker is not easy, and it should be a choice, not the duty of girls.

Edited by diasingh2 - 1 years ago

Oh the religion debate has already started on this thread......?  Great! Now God save this film lol.πŸ˜†

WHY??? seriously why do they want to remake this film??? it's already so widely available to watch on OTT platforms. On Amazon and some regional ones. It's so stunningly done and the way patriarchy is portrayed as a matter of fact without any BS. They can't recreate all that. There was no need to remake it.  Just stop stealing ideas and start getting original ones. Jeez. 

Originally posted by return_to_hades

I have been waiting to watch 'The Great Indian Kitchen' for so long. Unfortunately, it is not streaming on any of the channels I subscribe. I can't find it in the Google play store or Vudu store.  

Watch movie for free on YouTube with English subtitles,

https://youtu.be/8QlOqqZAN5Y

Rth, here:

@Vickat, please consider movies are someone's hard work. YouTube, unless it's pay to watch, is basically stealing from that poor maker.

I liked the concept of this movie, it’s a reality for so many people. But I just cannot see the slow nature of this movie working in Bollywood.

Originally posted by HearMeRoar

Even Indra Nooyi, PepsiCo CEO, has said she's taken as the one solely responsible for the household.

You are very fortunate if you've never seen this in your social circle. 

I am sorry.. I really thought these things happen only in marwari joint families. l can say that in the last so many years,I have seen working women,happy in their lives..where domestic chores is concerned. Labour is so cheap, most employ maids, you don't have to be rich. I come from army background..moved around all my life..I may be out of touch. Women may be unhappy , overworked here too. I hated living in the US..doing the dishes,vaccumming,washing bathrooms.I don't know how others manage even with husband's helping out.

Oh really? I never discussed with you about watching or not watching the movieπŸ˜† neither I'm a fool to comment on a movie without watching it☒️