Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SriRani thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 years ago

they are very good friends and don't think they have any problems. Little things during releases can be ignored.

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

Wow! It's really interesting to read the arguments...

The Indian Box Office may declare whatever it wants...India is not the world, not for the success of a Hindi movie or Tamil or Telugu or Kannada or...and whatever parameter it chooses to declare a movie disaster/flop/average/semi-hit/hit/blockbuster/ATB, it may do what it wants.

Yes, concerning Dilwale, SLB won (and between Deepika and SRK, it definitely was banter), but fairness has nothing to do in that "win", I think. Btw, I would refrain from the term "fair" when business is the main focus.

I really doubt that there are ANY hard feelings between Deepika and ShahRukh.

Concerning fans: well, isn't it  - mostly - their prerogative to praise their favourites and stress the positive they see. On the other hand, I find it petty(small-minded) and annoying to demean those who aren't the own favourites. It's not only very bad taste - imo - but also a rather low behaviour. One doesn't elevate someone as his/her fan by stomping on others.

Guddu, you're intelligent enough to relativise the term of success - at least, when it comes to art and its reception.

I think we've interacted enough for you to know I'm a fan of SRK. But it's patently silly to claim Dilwale was bigger than Bajirao even if he's a global star. Count the global pennies by all means, but when for all other movies India has been the criteria, it should be the same for SRK.

The last guy along the chain, the distributor, does he make a profit? If he didn't, the film is not a hit. 

Or as Maroon said, Yaadein, Salaam E Ishq were also hits. So was Secret Superstar. 

To call Bajirao bigger is quite fair when the question is about the BO performance of the 2 movies. Esp for the last guy, the distributor. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the relative stardom of SRK and Deepika. SRK is a legend and will remain one.

But claims like Dilwale stuff practically begs for trolling about being sore losers. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 1 years ago
Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

HMR, sorry... I probably did not make it clear that I won't contest that BM was more successful in India than Dilwale (and my take about "fair" was not meant against your specific use of the word). I neither doubt your inclination towards SRK.

My post was more a reply to Guddu's post. I learned about Hindi Cinema first through SRK movies and extended my knowledge to watch first Hindi movies from the 50s to actual ones and then Malayalam, Marathi, Kolkatta, Tamil and Telugu movies (although not so extensively as the Hindi ones). I also noticed that the Indian filmindustries have their own BOs to determine the success-status of a movie.

However, throughout my movie-watching life, my own impression never was/is influenced by the financial success a movie had/has. If I like a movie, I'm happy for the makers if they make a lot of money and sad if their movie had/has not the succes they hoped for.

There is not one actor or actress I dislike so much that I would wish them bad. I rather dislike unfair comparisons between movies. In my eyes, BM is not a "better" (or "bigger") movie than Dilwale only because it earned more money. It is, in fact, not even a "better" movie in comparison with Dilwale as it is neither the same genre, nor from the same director, nor with the same actor(s), nor etc. There should at least be a same common ground other than numbers prone to get manipulated.

So, once again: Yes, BM was more successful in India than Dilwale - no dispute about that.

Edited by Clochette - 1 years ago
Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Sarcastic Chatterbox

No, Guddu, SRK is Indian, but he is a global star. India is his homeland, it's where he lives and started his carreer. Indian audience are those who made him a star, but he got growing into being known (and cherished) by many, many people without desi/south asian/ arabic roots. Like the great ones of Indian cinema from 70 years before he got to be an ambassador of Hindi/Indian Cinema. Many of those - especially in the West - who started with him, also ventured into Indian Cinema of other languages and regions.

SRK definitely merits more than being reduced to the frontieres of his homeland (like other Indian movie stars, too).

For you, BOI may be your "bible", for me it's just BOI...just a source of information (I may believe or not isn't relevant at all for my own impression).

Decipher it any way you want. Fact won't change. Khan Saab's Stardom will be measured by INDIA NETT Collection & Not Overseas or WW collection.

Yes, when we talk about Global Stars, then baat kar lena Khan Saab ki.

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

Yep, maybe in India. I bother less about his stardom in India as about his live in India in the current intolerance-supporting climate.

SRK is one of the living examples of the positive idea of secularisme and I admire his faith in everything that is genuinely positive in India. If you ever had the luck to interact with him other than a short fan-encounter, you would get to know that "stardom" is one of the lesser assets...

Edited by Clochette - 1 years ago
Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Sarcastic Chatterbox

Yep, maybe in India. I bother less about his stardom in India as about his live in India in the current intolerance-supporting climate.

SRK is one of the living examples of the positive idea of secularisme and I admire his faith in everything that is genuinely positive in India. If you ever had the luck to interact with him other than a short fan-encounter, you would get to know that "stardom" is the least of his assets...

Batao aise fan milenge Khan Saab ke toh kaise bash karunga main uney ๐Ÿ˜†

Relax dear. My intentions were not to reflect anything negative. I was getting in old fan-war groove.

Edited by Guddu.Pandit - 1 years ago
Maroonporsche thumbnail

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mikespohr/movies-that-flopped-in-america-but-were-hits-overseas

None of these films got sequels despite the success abroad lol